10 replies to this topic

#1 Victoria

Victoria

Magically Tragic

• Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 04:57 PM

Hello,

I heard something interesting about Lyrica recently. Supposedly some folks have been misusing the drug, and I simply don't understand how one would do that or why. Google gives many drug sites and they all indicate a potential for misuse by those especially with a chemical dependency. I am simply trying to figure out how one would do it. Or moreover, why.

Lyrica takes a while to build up in your system. It's not like a narcotic or benzo, although it too is controlled, as I don't think it can offer an immediate reaction.

Hopefully this isn't "triggering" for folks using the med but having a co-occuring disease - such as being an addict. And I hope that I can receive honest answers to the how and why.

Thanks,
Victoria
Possible Side Effects of Crazyboards Usage: nausea/vomiting, headaches, heartburn, hair loss, dry mouth, water retention, painful rectal itch, hallucination, dementia, psychosis, coma, death, halitosis, lung cancer, mental retardation, brain tumors, paralyzation, sleep loss, intrnl bleeding, gas, carpet sniffing, Windex addiction, claustrophobia, acne, making Jesus cry, poor grammar, homosexuality, an urge to stab your spouse, inability to breathe, migraines, diabetes, deafness and of course, the trots.

#2 dreamless

dreamless

Almost human

• Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 07:29 AM

I experienced a marked degree of euphoria when I started out on Lyrica. It went away after about a week. Then I was just stuck with the (sucky) side effects. I don't have a history of drug abuse though, and haven't tried it since, I have no idea if this quick response would happen every time, somehow I doubt it. Am anyway quite happy to be off it.
dx: BP NOS
rx: Lithium sulfate sl 0.6, Lamictal 400mg, Cisordinol 10mg, Valium 5mg PRN but rarely use it
have tried: Zoloft, Celexa, Paxil, Effexor, Edronax, Tegretol, Depacon, Lyrica, Abilify, Fluanxol, Zyprexa, Geodon, Seroquel, Risperdal, assorted benzos and sleeping pills

#3 Victoria

Victoria

Magically Tragic

• Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 02:57 AM

I think I'll copy/paste this into the substance abuse section, just to see if anyone has any experience. Thanks.
Possible Side Effects of Crazyboards Usage: nausea/vomiting, headaches, heartburn, hair loss, dry mouth, water retention, painful rectal itch, hallucination, dementia, psychosis, coma, death, halitosis, lung cancer, mental retardation, brain tumors, paralyzation, sleep loss, intrnl bleeding, gas, carpet sniffing, Windex addiction, claustrophobia, acne, making Jesus cry, poor grammar, homosexuality, an urge to stab your spouse, inability to breathe, migraines, diabetes, deafness and of course, the trots.

#4 null0trooper

null0trooper

• Pip
  • 3928 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 08:13 AM

I think I'll copy/paste this into the substance abuse section, just to see if anyone has any experience. Thanks.

No, I think I'll move the topic over here.

Proof once again that we are the only adventurers for whom the letters "AD&D" stand for "Attention Deficit Disorder" - Roy Greenhilt, Order of the Stick

Rule your own nation at Cyber Nations, A nation simulation game! Yes, I do waste spend a lot of time on it, especially the Viridian Entente's alliance boards.

#5 Victoria

Victoria

Magically Tragic

• Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 10:44 AM

Very well then.

The lack of response, anywhere, leads me to believe that the misuse of Lyrica may be more of a hype than an actuality (save the single input).

#6 spaceman

spaceman

• Pip
  • 219 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 11:31 AM

Very well then.

The lack of response, anywhere, leads me to believe that the misuse of Lyrica may be more of a hype than an actuality (save the single input).

don't give up your research I am interested in how it sould be accused also I read somewhere that people crush up serequel and snort it. tha't sounds crazy also,
see ya

Brian
"Houston,we have a problem!"

#7 spaceman

spaceman

• Pip
  • 219 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 11:44 AM

In addition, Lyrica is a Schedule V controlled substance. Studies of the drug in recreational users of sedative/hypnotic drugs indicated subjective psychoactive effects of a magnitude similar to the benzodiazepine diazepam. Roughly 4% of subjects reported eurphoria as an adverse event in trials,

found this on google search i think the euphoric effects are the motivation for abuse. i guess this behavior has been going on since caveman times when some cro magnum figured out that spoiled greapes give you a buzz.lol
hope this helps
brian
"Houston,we have a problem!"

#8 null0trooper

null0trooper

• Pip
  • 3928 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 03:48 PM

There is probably more hype than reality, but some people will do anything to get high or to get money from those folks trying to get high.

Proof once again that we are the only adventurers for whom the letters "AD&D" stand for "Attention Deficit Disorder" - Roy Greenhilt, Order of the Stick

Rule your own nation at Cyber Nations, A nation simulation game! Yes, I do waste spend a lot of time on it, especially the Viridian Entente's alliance boards.

#9 Victoria

Victoria

Magically Tragic

• Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 04:54 PM

In addition, Lyrica is a Schedule V controlled substance. Studies of the drug in recreational users of sedative/hypnotic drugs indicated subjective psychoactive effects of a magnitude similar to the benzodiazepine diazepam. Roughly 4% of subjects reported eurphoria as an adverse event in trials,

found this on google search i think the euphoric effects are the motivation for abuse. i guess this behavior has been going on since caveman times when some cro magnum figured out that spoiled greapes give you a buzz.lol
hope this helps
brian

Thanks for the input. I just did a mini research on Schedule 5 Controlled Substances. I think you've hit spot on with your cro magnum/grapes analogy. Accidentally on purpose, someone found a boost from a bit of the neuropathic pain inhibitor, and like the welcome surprise of his pre-modern man brethern, was thankful for the come across.

"Wanna git high?" ;) <=this was a joke, btw! having fun with the lengths we humans will go to for a fix.

Edited by Victoria, 10 January 2009 - 05:46 PM.

#10 maybetinymaybesad

maybetinymaybesad

• Pip
  • 205 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 10:09 AM

people have likened it to GHB although that's a bit of a stretch. it's definitely abusable. what one expects from a med affects the way one experiences it. people who don't expect to get high from lyrica are less likely to feel high than people who take it for the purpose of getting high. i know a lot of the people who try to abuse lyrica are people who are already heavy users/addicts of other drugs, so they are already in the mindset of 'what can i take to get high?' for them, any pill is viewed as a potential euphoriant. people on this board have asked, 'how can people abuse seroquel?' or 'how can people abuse trazadone?' and it's the same answer.
dx: substance dependence and mood/anxiety issues
rx: paxil, abilify, baclofen

#11 recoverymouse

recoverymouse

• Pip
  • 528 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 09:27 PM

people have likened it to GHB although that's a bit of a stretch. it's definitely abusable. what one expects from a med affects the way one experiences it. people who don't expect to get high from lyrica are less likely to feel high than people who take it for the purpose of getting high. i know a lot of the people who try to abuse lyrica are people who are already heavy users/addicts of other drugs, so they are already in the mindset of 'what can i take to get high?' for them, any pill is viewed as a potential euphoriant. people on this board have asked, 'how can people abuse seroquel?' or 'how can people abuse trazadone?' and it's the same answer.

Have you ever seen the movie Methadonia? Interesting documentary about how methadone, when combined with benzos, will yield a high as euphoric as the heroin that methadone is supposed to treat. Addicts love to mix and match until they find a way to get a new high.

Have no idea if lyrica will become a street drug-- depends on how it interacts with other street drugs, among many other factors.

EDIT: Methadonia is available on Netflix's online "watch now" library fyi.

Edited by recoverymouse, 17 May 2009 - 05:28 PM.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.