Young son having hallucinations

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_pam_*

Guest_pam_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2009 - 07:02 PM

Hi, I've never posted here before, and just kind of fell into this site. My 5 year old son has been having hallucinations. He says that he sees an evil blue face with horns that's trying to get into his brain to make him evil . When I ask him where this face is, he puts his hand next to his head between where his ear and his (real) face is. He said that he built a white wall to try to keep it out, but the face keeps 'bonking' against the wall, and he's worried that it's going to get in and make him evil. I asked him whether the face talks to him, and he says no. He can't see it in the mirror, and he doesn't see it when he closes his eyes. But it's there when he opens them. Anyway, I was wondering whether any of you have had hallucinations like this. He has an appointment with the behavioral health division of children's hosp of philadelphia next week. But, I'm very concerned, and thought that some of you might be able to shed some light on what's going on. Thanks, Pam

#2 tryp

tryp

DBT = Diary Card Bingo

• Inmate
  • 6861 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 08:08 PM

Well, it could well be that someone here can shed some light, but I'm pretty sure we don't do a heck of a lot of peds stuff.

I know [link=http://www.rettdevil.org/phpBB2/" target="_blank]Rett Devil[/link] does, though - the people over at CrazyMeds Talk refer people over there a lot for peds stuff. Don't know if it helps. Scanning quickly, I don't know how pertinent it is to your stuff, but it might be worth a try.

Edited by tryp, 11 March 2009 - 08:09 PM.

Dx: Complex PTSD
Tx: Lamictal (250) + prazosin (7.5) + "therapy"

#3 sorrel

sorrel

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 965 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 08:11 PM

Hallucinations in children aren't considered as "serious" a symptom as they are in adults -- there are a lot of causes for it other than psychosis, including anxiety and various psychosocial reasons.

There is such a thing as childhood psychosis, but it needs other signs besides just hallucinations.

This article might possibly be helpful.

#4 olga

olga

Life is better when you bring home a furry pal

• Inmate
  • 10803 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 08:14 PM

Hi, Pam.

Sounds like you've got your hands full. Although our members are certainly welcome to reply to your post, we are pretty much a first-person site, with all of us talking about our own experiences in the wonderful world of MI. You might find more information and support on a message board for parents of kids with MI issues. However, I will move your post to a more appropriate place and there might be some people who have suggestions for you.

Good luck

olga

I'm bossy, opinionated, and over 60, so be prepared for advice if you post a question. However, I am not a medical professional, so please consult a doctor about your mental health issues and medications.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Be with someone who ruins your lipstick---not your mascara.

#5 december_brigette

december_brigette

• Pip
  • 2634 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 03:03 AM

Hi,

I have a toddler. Im fairly certain she "sees" things sometimes.

for stuff like this i use babycenter.com. the site has advice for children up to 9 years old.

I vaguely remember recently reading an article about children seeing monsters. it said not to discount what the child is telling you.

there is a great line from the movie "monsters, inc" - "if there are monsters living under your bed they owe me rent." (i know only adults would understand that joke).

Im glad your son has an appt soon. I hope it is fruitful for the both of you.

Im gonna step away from the regular rules and say please let us or me know what happens. (regular rules being this is a first person site for adults). feel free to PM me.

db

dx: bipolar 1, anxiety, and a little ptsd

current meds:
cymbalta 90mgs
depakote 1500 mg
prazosin 1 mg
seroquel 50 mg

topamax 50mg
xanax 2.50 mg

other meds ive tried: abilify, ambien, effexor xr, lamictal, lexapro, lithium, lunesta, paxil, provigil, tegretol, trazodone, wellbutrin, zoloft.

"I mixed Benadryl and Tegretol one time. Spent three days guessing weight at the Iowa State Fair. Got crabs, and a tattoo, of a crab," Andy on "weeds."

"Psychiatry is just this year's candy pink stove." from the tv show Madmen.

#6 igotbetter

igotbetter

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 07:32 AM

I just wanted to pat you on the back for getting your child evaluated.
If your child is diagnosed with something, I'd suggest contacting your local NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness). They have education courses and support groups. I've even heard that some NAMI groups have a class/group that is specially designed for parents caring for children with mental illness (MI). That said, I don't know if what you're child is experiencing is MI. (I'm not a healthcare professional.)
Hang in there, Pam.

#7 LikeMinded

LikeMinded

Too many answers, not enough questions.

• Pip
  • 2182 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 10:03 PM

I used to have (less specific) hallucinations as a child, as well... mostly visual, and mostly in the dark. Although they were essentially abstract in nature, they generally consisted of forms/shapes coming from the ceiling downwards, which was very threatening to me at times (in fact, they gave me almost nightly trouble falling asleep until I was about 7-8).

From my perspective, there might not be anything you can do about this issue (although your son seems to be having a much more specific hallucination than anything I'd ever had, so it is IMO worth seeing a pediatric mental health care provider over -- sometimes reassurance from someone else who's not the parents goes miles).

CAUTION: I'm a graduate computational medicine/allied health information student, and NOT a licensed clinician of any sort in any part of the world.  I can come up with lots of algorithms, generalities, and statistics but cannot provide specific medical advice for you!  You, along with your healthcare provider/pdoc/tdoc/etc. are the best decision makers for what is best!

Me: MDD, AD/HD, Asperger's/HFA/PDD-NOS/WTF, REM behavioral disorder/misc. sleep issues, some variant of PTSD... toss in hypothyroidism, post-meningitis-related Parkinson's disease/tremor, early stage pulmonary hypertension from a connective tissue disorder that wants me dead before age 60, and a few misc. manly hormone issues, and you'll get a few insights on where that PTSD came from.

Now on: Cymbalta, mirtazapine, oxybutynin, clonazepam, lamotrigine, clonidine, levothyroxine, metformin, Testim.  As Velvet Elvis implied, I sound like a freakin' maraca salesman when I go through airport security.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.