phenylephrine?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 maybetinymaybesad

maybetinymaybesad

• Pip
  • 205 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 04:23 PM

i've had an upper respiratory infection and a secondary bacterial sinus infection for six days:-(. the nurse recommended that i take mucinex with phenylephrine in it, but i am hesitant bc i know phenylephrine and sudafed are similar, and i don't like the 'revved up' feeling of sudafed. does phenylephrine make you feel like that? does one crash in the evening after taking phenylephrine in the morning? what does phenylephrine feel like, if anything?
dx: substance dependence and mood/anxiety issues
rx: paxil, abilify, baclofen

#2 Deepster

Deepster

• Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 07:30 PM

i've had an upper respiratory infection and a secondary bacterial sinus infection for six days:-(. the nurse recommended that i take mucinex with phenylephrine in it, but i am hesitant bc i know phenylephrine and sudafed are similar, and i don't like the 'revved up' feeling of sudafed. does phenylephrine make you feel like that? does one crash in the evening after taking phenylephrine in the morning? what does phenylephrine feel like, if anything?

Maybe-

From what I have read, phenylephedrine is no more effective than a placebo in clinical tests. You can "Wiki" it and read some fairly decent info. I know is does NOTHING FOR ME! I too am right now suffuering with severe sinus problems. It's so bad that I just went straight for the pseudoephedrine. Hell, at this point I don't even care about med interactions, I just want my damned head to open up so I can breathe....AND SLEEP! I do take a mucus releif med, too. I don't even care about "revved up" this is such a PITA. I have sleep meds to knock me out if necessary. This sinus bout is so wretched that I really don't give a crap how I wake up feeling tomorrow, I just need instant relief NOW. I had "zombie head" all day yesterday, today, and probably will tomorrow. But, I willing to work through that just for some relief!

Deepster

#3 bluelikejazz

bluelikejazz

• Inmate
  • 2588 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 07:46 PM

Deepster is right.
It will raise your blood pressure, but as a decongestant it's shit. The pharmaceutical companies make it because pharmacies need an alternative to psuedoephedrine because people use it to make illegal drugs.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

If you take sudafed (which if you don't like the revved up feeling won't be nice) it will also keep you awake. Usually, the 'nighttime' ones are sudafed plus a drowsy antihistamine, which isn't recommended if you have an infection.

Stick to the mucinex, and maybe you could try a decongestant nasal spray for a couple of days?

PMDD, PTSD and MDD.

rx: Amitryptaline 125mg Seroquel XR 100mg, Lithium 750mg.

I'm not a mental health professional but I am a pretty awesome amateur (talk to an actual pro rather than taking my advice)

#4 N&P

N&P

• Pip
  • 260 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 09:33 PM

Try chlorpheniramine instead of pseudoephedrine or phenylephrine.

I can't tolerate many antihistamines or decongestants (pseudoephedrine contributed to my last mixed epi.) but I LOVE chlorpheniramine. It actually helps my migraines as well. It's adequate as a decongestant and is neither sedating nor activating. If you use the Mucinex as well, the chlorpheniramine shouldn't impact the infection much if you use it sparingly.

There used to be an Alkaseltzer-Cold tab that had chlorpheniramine in it but I haven't seen it lately...I think Theraflu might have a flavor with chlorpheniramine in it.

Links:
[link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorpheniramine" target="_blank]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorpheniramine[/link]

[link=http://www.rxlist.com/chlor-trimeton-drug.htm" target="_blank]http://www.rxlist.com/chlor-trimeton-drug.htm[/link]

Edited by Nurse&Patient, 15 March 2009 - 09:36 PM.

Bipolar II rapid cycling, usually mixed, with SAD pattern
Meds: Seroquel 25mg TID (for now) Topamax 200mg, Effexor 150mg, Abilify 7.5mg, Trazodone 50mg

Medical hx: Fibromyalgia, asthma, migraines, autoimmune d/o NOS (til they figure it out) and h/o Lyme disease.
Rx: hydrocodone, PRNs for migraines, medicinal marijuana for pain PRN

#5 Deepster

Deepster

• Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 07:27 AM

[quote name='Nurse&Patient' date='Mar 15 2009, 10:33 PM' post='326789']

Thanks for the alternative, N&P. I have often wondered if such a thing existed but never thought to ask or research it. I'll be triying the chlorpheniramine....checking with the pharmacist as to what products contain it.

Deepster

#6 Deepster

Deepster

• Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 08:08 PM

I can't tolerate many antihistamines or decongestants (pseudoephedrine contributed to my last mixed epi.) but I LOVE chlorpheniramine. It actually helps my migraines as well. It's adequate as a decongestant and is neither sedating nor activating. If you use the Mucinex as well, the chlorpheniramine shouldn't impact the infection much if you use it sparingly.

There used to be an Alkaseltzer-Cold tab that had chlorpheniramine in it but I haven't seen it lately...I think Theraflu might have a flavor with chlorpheniramine in it.

Links:
[link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorpheniramine" target="_blank]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorpheniramine[/link]

[link=http://www.rxlist.com/chlor-trimeton-drug.htm" target="_blank]http://www.rxlist.com/chlor-trimeton-drug.htm[/link]

N&P-

Sorry, but I came up with nothing useful with these links. Tomorrow, I'll try without going through Google. There just doesnt' seem to be anything in the wiki database. The chlor-trimeton takes me to a dead end, too.

Deepster

Edited by Deepster, 24 March 2009 - 08:13 PM.

#7 AirMarshall

AirMarshall

Jumping the CB Shark

• Pip
  • 6686 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 01:28 AM

****Clarification****

Chlorpheniramine is an Anti-Histamine, not a decongestant!!

There are only two decongestants on the market: pseudoephedrine and phenylephrine.

I tried phenylephrine (PE) and at the recomednded dosage it did NOTHING. At double the dose it only cleared my head for 1 hour and gave me galloping heart palpitations and jitters. I threw the pack away, and have gone back to good old reliable Sudafed. At least I know it is going to work and I can manage side effects with doseing.

a.m.

**My work is done.  Swimming for the nearest shore.**

#8 N&P

N&P

• Pip
  • 260 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:44 AM

****Clarification****

Chlorpheniramine is an Anti-Histamine, not a decongestant!!

There are only two decongestants on the market: pseudoephedrine and phenylephrine.

I tried phenylephrine (PE) and at the recomednded dosage it did NOTHING. At double the dose it only cleared my head for 1 hour and gave me galloping heart palpitations and jitters. I threw the pack away, and have gone back to good old reliable Sudafed. At least I know it is going to work and I can manage side effects with doseing.

a.m.

Very right, AM, but as I'm sure you know...anti-histamines can work in a decongestant sense as they dry up the secretions that cause congestion.

Ta-Da! Decongestion! ;)
Meds: Seroquel 25mg TID (for now) Topamax 200mg, Effexor 150mg, Abilify 7.5mg, Trazodone 50mg

Medical hx: Fibromyalgia, asthma, migraines, autoimmune d/o NOS (til they figure it out) and h/o Lyme disease.

#9 AirMarshall

AirMarshall

Jumping the CB Shark

• Pip
  • 6686 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 03:18 PM

Ta Da, .... NOT.

Antihistamines work indirectly by reducing histamine, which decreases fluid outflow from the blood vessels. Thus mucus production is reduced, but the tissues may still be congested. Users may note decreased mucus, but still have an uncomfortable sensation of fullness or heaviness in the sinuses, hence the incomplete congestion.

Decongeststants work directly by constricting the blood vessels, thus both limiting fluid outflow, mucus production AND reducing tissue congestion.

I think it is important to use these drug classification terms correctly due to the significant side effects and interactions possible.

cheers, a.m.

**My work is done.  Swimming for the nearest shore.**

#10 N&P

N&P

• Pip
  • 260 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 04:14 PM

Ta Da, .... NOT.

Antihistamines work indirectly by reducing histamine, which decreases fluid outflow from the blood vessels. Thus mucus production is reduced, but the tissues may still be congested. Users may note decreased mucus, but still have an uncomfortable sensation of fullness or heaviness in the sinuses, hence the incomplete congestion.

Decongeststants work directly by constricting the blood vessels, thus both limiting fluid outflow, mucus production AND reducing tissue congestion.

I think it is important to use these drug classification terms correctly due to the significant side effects and interactions possible.

cheers, a.m.

The side effect issue is why I suggested something other than a decongestant as the OP does not like pseudoephedrine and is hesitant to try phenylephrine. Some relief is better than none and as safety goes, antihistamines are safer than decongestants.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.