Photo
- - - - -

Wellbutrin SR plus Risperdal, okay or not?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 debster

debster

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 06:37 PM

Hello Fellow Boarders:

Firstly, I was on Wellbutrin SR 150mg for 1 month.

For Depression. :)

Then put up to Wellbutrin SR 150mg morning/150mg at night for 28 days.

Feeling okay on the two dose about 1/4 of the day, the rest of the 3/4 day shit, shit, shitty! ;)

Felt like I was being torchered- tast of good and then back to hell!

So go back in to Doctor and puts me on Risperdal, .25 half of a 0.5mg(start tonight). Plus I stay on my two 150mg Wellbutrin.
Depending on how this new stuff makes me feel on .25, I may end up going up to 1.5 dose.

Is this all right? Anyone else on this mix?

Plus What about a SSRI like Celexa to go along with Wellbutrin? Any one on that?

One other thing, Is it not safe to go up to 450mg of Wellbutrin a day? Shouldn't he putting me up instead of mixing a new drug in?( He told me he likes to go slow and with small dosages of different med.'s than one large dose of one. Does this make sence?)

debster

#2 Ocracoker16

Ocracoker16

• Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 08:43 PM

Hello Fellow Boarders:

Feeling okay on the two dose about 1/4 of the day, the rest of the 3/4 day shit, shit, shitty! ;)

So go back in to Doctor and puts me on Risperdal, .25 half of a 0.5mg(start tonight). Plus I stay on my two 150mg Wellbutrin.
Depending on how this new stuff makes me feel on .25, I may end up going up to 1.5 dose.

Plus What about a SSRI like Celexa to go along with Wellbutrin? Any one on that?

One other thing, Is it not safe to go up to 450mg of Wellbutrin a day? Shouldn't he putting me up instead of mixing a new drug in?( He told me he likes to go slow and with small dosages of different med.'s than one large dose of one. Does this make sence?)

debster

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have been on a Wellbutrin/Celexa combo for 3 years.  It consists of Wellbutrin XL 450 mgs and Celexa 50mgs.  The Celexa is usually lower, but we up it when I get severely depressed or my OCD worsens.  Have you been on Celexa in the past?  I don't think I would want to add if I hadn't tried it.  It also sounds to me like you are having a rough time on the Wellbutrin.  The anger and dysphoric symptoms should be getting better after 28 days.  You could go to the cocktail board and research a Wellbutrin + SSRI combo if you want other experiences.  You may also want to give Risperdal a chance to take the edge off.  Adding a small dose of an atypical AP is not unusual.  If you are not sure about it, you should contact your pdoc and find out why he chose Risperdal.

Katie :P

#3 Sulu

Sulu

• Pip
  • 537 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 05:23 AM

Deb, I was on Celexa 10 mg, then added Wellbutrin 150SR in am, for several weeks then added afternoon dose (6 hours after first dose) of Wellbutrin SR.  I was going through a really rough patch and the pdoc added risperdal.  My guess would be that your pdoc would not want to increase your wellbutrin to 450 if you are doing poorly on the 300 you are already taking and probably has some reason for adding the risperdal.  You should probably call him or go to see him about your concerns because only he knows why he is prescribing what and he should be able to explain the reasons.  The whole point of taking these meds is to help us get well so if you are unhappy or have questions I am sure he will be happy to explain.  Stay well, Sulu

#4 Guest_novice_*

Guest_novice_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2005 - 11:05 AM

Wellbutrin is usually not the best choice of meds to treat a depression.

Using a relatively high dose, combined with a not so low dose of risperdal (which kind of cancels the effect of wellbutrin, to some extent) does not seem a sensible policy.

I suggest you read up on antidepressants on this site: www.crazymeds.us and look at other sites, such as rxlist.com.

I don't know the specifics of your situation. maybe your doc is right. Maybe this medication regime is bullshit. Anyway, check it out. You can always ask another doctor.

#5 debster

debster

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 06:26 PM

Hello Sulu:
      So nice to hear from you again! Is your mix working for you? I sure hope so.

Well, my problem is that I'm not quite sane yet, thus I have been freaking out between," I'm okay to I feel desparate and afraid."  The fear of taking pills take over too often.

I can't remember why this Risperdal? Does it act like a antidepression pill or is it to calm me? I don't think I need calming.

How long does it take to work? 

I keep thinking that I've been on this Wellbutrin for two months, not feeling myself yet, and I'm so tired of waiting to feel better. I want to get going and do the things that this depression has stopped me from doing!

Do you feel tired on this Risperdal?  I just took it last night, could it be making me tired all ready?

I'm going to try to take it for a while and then I think I will have to try something else. Don't know how long.(Now just as I reread this I  just want to friggen run.) :)

I also took Celexa before this wellbutrin, and I did okay on it.  Just hated the side effects.  Maybe the doc will up me on both if this Risperdal does not work, if I ask. Couldn't hurt.

I'm sorry I'm wierd right now. Just tired of feeling desperate. :P   I'm so glad I have you and others to talk to!  I hope to hear from you soon.  I hope you are well. Take care.  deb ;)

P.S: Talking to my doctor scares me too. I just think that he might think I'm crazy.

#6 debster

debster

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 06:46 PM

Ocracoker16,(Katie :) )Aug 5 2005, 06:43 PM
Have you been on Celexa in the past?  It also sounds to me like you are having a rough time on the Wellbutrin. 

;) ***Yes, I was on Celexa and I did pretty good, just did not like the site effects.*** :)

The anger and dysphoric symptoms should be getting better after 28 days.  You could go to the cocktail board and research a Wellbutrin + SSRI combo if you want other experiences. 
      :P ***I will go back and checkout the Wellbutrin + SSRI combo.*** :ninja:

You may also want to give Risperdal a chance to take the edge off.  Adding a small dose of an atypical AP is not unusual.  If you are not sure about it, you should contact your pdoc and find out why he chose Risperdal.
      :ninja: ***What does taking the "edge off" mean? Do you know what it does to depression. Lots on BP information, or I'm missing it. Well the dotor thing is that I'm actually afraid of seeing him right now. I'm just not myself yet. This doctor is new so,well...I don't trust him yet.  So if you could possibly get back to me I would truly appreciate it!*** :angry:  
                                                  Thanks.......Deb :D

#7 debster

debster

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 06:53 PM

Hello novice:
  Thanks for responding. I've been on the crazymed.'s, did not find what I wanted or I missed it, but I will try that other one ,rxlist.com.
    Ya, I have a new doctor, and I don't trust him yet. I'm just use to going on one med. and getting better right away. I find his was so frustrating. Plus I'm not better yet, and that I'm sure is affecting my jugdement. :)  
    If does not work soon I will try something else or go to another doctor.
Thanks again................deb ;)

#8 Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis

The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering.

• Admin
  • 12497 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 06:24 PM

Hi debster.

Wellbutrin + an SSRI is a nice combo since the two meds tend to cancel out each others side effects while acting on all three of the main neuotransmitters most often linked to depression.

As Wellbutrin acts on both norepenephrine and dopamine, there is no problem with taking it  in conjunction with an AP such as Risperdal which will only counters the effect on dopamine.  Plus, Wellbutrin has a shotgun effect, blocking reuptake a many different dopamine receptor sites whereas the number of dopamine receptor sites where rispersal acts as an antagonist is much smaller, so plenty of dopamine still gets through.

I'm currently on similar cocktail (seroquel, Wellbutrin and cymbalta) with OK results. 

I'm not sure what sulu means about depression not being the best thing to use Wellbutrin for as it's not really effective for anything thing else except for maybe mild ADD.  There is the problem of it potentialy making anxiety worse, but combining it with both an AP and an SSRI should eleminate this side effect.

De-gnosis: ADD, recurrent depression (or maybe bpII in the guise of such), Asperger's, OCD, social anxiety
Today's Pill Menu: Dexedrine, Wellbutrin (Budeprion), Strattera, Celexa, Risperdal, and clonazepam

Like other moderators and staff of crazyboards.org, I am not a health care professional. You have no way of knowing that I am not talking out my ass. Please do your own homework before making any health related decisions.

Buy me Stuff: Amazon Wishlist

#9 Sulu

Sulu

• Pip
  • 537 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 10:13 AM

Hi debster.

Wellbutrin + an SSRI is a nice combo since the two meds tend to cancel out each others side effects while acting on all three of the main neuotransmitters most often linked to depression.

As Wellbutrin acts on both norepenephrine and dopamine, there is no problem with taking it  in conjunction with an AP such as Risperdal which will only counters the effect on dopamine.  Plus, Wellbutrin has a shotgun effect, blocking reuptake a many different dopamine receptor sites whereas the number of dopamine receptor sites where rispersal acts as an antagonist is much smaller, so plenty of dopamine still gets through.

I'm currently on similar cocktail (seroquel, Wellbutrin and cymbalta) with OK results. 

I'm not sure what sulu means about depression not being the best thing to use Wellbutrin for as it's not really effective for anything thing else except for maybe mild ADD.  There is the problem of it potentialy making anxiety worse, but combining it with both an AP and an SSRI should eleminate this side effect.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First, a little note to Elvis, I was not the one you were referring to re: depression not being the best thing to use Wellbutrin for etc.  I went on Wellbutrin expressly for the depression that would not lift.  Mind you it did not seem to do the job, lol.  Had to address this as I am a little anal about being blamed (not really blamed but fuzz head here can't think of the word she wants) for what someone else posted.

Deb, I don't know what to tell you, I have been on the meds go round for so long I feel like giving up.  But I then think okay one more try and the pdoc usually adds or subtracts something that gives me a little more hope.  I am currently on synthroid, depakote and remeron having just discontinued Wellbutrin yesterday and the risperdal after only a few days of taking it (doc was worried about some of the side effects I was having).  I have been feeling good since my last visit with my pdoc last week (I usually do, I think it is knowing that someone besides me is aware of what is happening with me, non-MI people in my life just don't get it).  Also some of the situational things that were really getting to me have passed so I am in the dark as to what has done what but I have decided that this mix is going to do the job as I have something fun coming up (weekend camping music festival, the only thing I really look forward to each year) and am determined not to be too f***ed up to attend.  I actually went to the beach swimming (it's only about four blocks away) on Saturday with sis and her 22 month old grandson.  It was so much fun, I haven't laughed like that in way too long.  I guess that means something is working eh?  Please hang in there with the meds and question your pdoc if unsure why you are being prescribed each drug and discuss what is or isn't acceptable as far as side effects go, (Jerod's which sucks less thing).  I agree with Velvet Elvis as to the wellbutrin plus ssri thing as on it's own the wellbutrin can and does cause excess anxiety which can be countered by a ssri such as celexa etc. and perhaps an atypical AP.  Boy what a ramble this has been.  I hope at least some of it makes sense.  Keep posting and let us know how it is going. Hang in there, help is just a med or two away.  Sulu

#10 debster

debster

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 11:32 AM

Hello Sulu:
        I'm actually feeling better about all this new stuff I'm taking. Yestarday, I was even cracking jokes. Still not 100 percent yet, but at least I'm feeling hopefull again.
  Good Gawd, I hate to be blamed for things I didn't do either. I get quite pissy about it, even if it is a mistake. Although, I knew right away that it was not you who was against Wellbutrin. Really the majority(where the H** is my dictonary?..."sighs") agree that it works and that is all that matters.  I'm going to ask for that combo if this mix does not work, Wellbutrin and Celexa.
    I'm sorry that the Wellbutrin did not work for you, but it seems very good that the new med.'s may be working. Your right, there are more drug if these don't work. Ya, what is worse depression or pills. I guess we just have to keep trying.
    So How is your cat? My cat Murr's eye swelled up yestarday. Freaked me out. I put some golden seal liquide around it and it went away. I still don't know how it happened. Maybe my daughters cat or something outside irritated it. Funny this summer Murr has been sleeping with my 15 yr old. She usually sleeps with me. Odd. Nothing happening here otherwise.
So thank you for your advice. Just knowing that I can ask about these drugs and get answers is a wonderful emotional support for me. Thanks for your time.
Have fun camping at the music festival.  I hope it is not muddy, the one I know of, Merrit Music Fest is always muddy. Have fun, fun, fun, but not so much as to end up in the paddy waggon. ;)
                                              take care, deb
dx: extream GAD with mild to moderate depression
Past Med.'s- Paxil, Celexa, Wellbutrin, Risperdal, Effexor, Cipralex(Lexipro),Seroquel ......Cipralex 10mgs and Wlebutrin 150's.

Present Med.'s-�Gone off med.'s after two years of being well. To see if I can get along without it.
Off since mid December 2008....
Clonazepam (Klonopin) when the anxiety is bad .25mgs........Nov. 2010-.Had a a suisidal plan after two years off med's, as my Husband went on disability and things seemed hopeless. I am much better on med's. My plans are to stay on it! ~ January 5th 2012

"When will I learn?"

#11 debster

debster

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 11:52 AM

[quote name='Velvet Elvis' date='Aug 7 2005, 04:24 PM']Hi debster.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/quote][QUOTE]

Hello Velvet Elvis:
  I feel like I'm talking to a famous person. Your an important dude around here! I feel honored to have a reply from you.
Thanks for the awesome information. I'm going to copy it and give it to my doctor if these med.'s do not work fully. I'm really relieved that you are on something similar. I feel safer about it now.
I was freaked out pretty bad about the new med.'s, but I'm doing better now. Actually, yestarday I was cracking jokes. Maybe this stuff is working!
I'm so happy that I can come to this place and find relief from my worries and fears.
Thanks so much for your input, very much appreciated! :)
                                      take care, deb ;)

#12 antipeople

antipeople

the littlest tweak

• Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 01:46 PM

I'm on .5-1mg of Risperdal and 150mgs of Wellbutrin XL, and they seem to work well together.
DX: Depersonalization and Derealization Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Bipolar Disorder - NOS
RX: 200mgs Lamictal, 1mg Klonopin PRN
ME: 24, Photojournalist, Traveler, Pilot, Massachusetts Resident, Fire Performer, Anachronism, Sailor, Traveler, Documentarian, Writer, Army Girlfriend, Mental Patient

If you have questions about any of the above, feel free to contact me via email or instant messenger.

#13 debster

debster

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 12:45 AM

I'm on .5-1mg of Risperdal and 150mgs of Wellbutrin XL, and they seem to work well together.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hello Antipeople:
      Thanks for your thoughtful responce. I don't think I could live without this site.
As you could probably tell I was freaking out quite a bit on my first board, but since then I have been getting better. The mixture is starting to work good!
I'm now on wellburtrin 150mg morning and afternoon, plus my Risperdal half of a .5mg morning and night.
Anyway, I just got back from  your photo site. Very nice pictures. I myself love to take picture, and also my husband. One of the things we enjoyed doing together, before the girls where born. Well, I guess we still do they just happen to have a lot of kids in the pictures now.
I loved you sitting in the field,  the colour, the light, very nice!  The demented box is cool to look at. Cute squirels. But I really liked the picture with the dark hallway leading to the bed with the blast of sunlight coming throught the window. For me it gives me a safe feeling, and more. It just makes me want to think about it. I guess that is what art is all about. Keep up the good work!
I'm really feeling better, maybe 90 percent. Thanks to all these wonderful people, and you.
                        Take care, deb ;)  

#14 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2008 - 11:55 AM

Hello Fellow Boarders:

debster

Well Debster I can offer you a little bit of advice from someone that is currently taking 150 mlg of Wellbutrin time released in the morning and .5 mg of Risperdal an hour before bed. First off Novice does not know what the hell he/she is talking about. Leave proper medical advice to trained professionals. What I can say however is that from my point of view the Wellbutrin tends to have a stimulating effect on me. Coming from someone that is not accustomed to being happy I get over excited and it results in a manic state (high peaks) which often come with (high lows) and a re-occuring Depression. The risperdal acts as a kind of stabilizing agent. It does wonders for my sleep and makes me feel rested even after a mere 7 hours. It also levels out the effects of the wellbutrin. I feel calm happy but most importantly I feel IN CONTROL. Now take this at face value because people react differently to different medication and different mixtures. I can say however that without a shadow of doubt it is helping me life my life happily and in control. And down be to hard on yourself you don't have to take life so seriously.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.