Photo

allergies/histamine - do they make your brain crazy?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 scream_phoenix

scream_phoenix

• Pip
  • 332 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 02:52 PM

its been a horrible allergy season here. highest pollen count in years and windy days. i have a lot of autoimmune symptoms and they are going off like crazy, but i was wondering if other people are effected by the histaminergic effects of allergies. my brain feels really sped up, restless, wired. i don't know what's going on. i see an allergist tuesday, so hopefully he can offer some relief

OT question - for allergy appointments they say to stop all antihistamine drugs a week in advance. the last time i saw an allergist for allergy testing i think i cut down my seroquel or stopped it a couple of days in advance. has anyone else had to do that before allergy testing? i don't think i'm going to do that this time.

this is really bad though and i don't know if its autoimmune related, or primarily allergies. does anyone else go a little extra crazy during allergy season?

Dx: OCD, PTSD (Depression and Anxiety throughout)

Rx: Klonopin 1mg x 2.5 day, Celexa 60 mg, Lamictal 200 mg, Seroquel 300 mg

#2 ghost_train

ghost_train

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:58 PM

its been a horrible allergy season here. highest pollen count in years and windy days. i have a lot of autoimmune symptoms and they are going off like crazy, but i was wondering if other people are effected by the histaminergic effects of allergies. my brain feels really sped up, restless, wired. i don't know what's going on. i see an allergist tuesday, so hopefully he can offer some relief

OT question - for allergy appointments they say to stop all antihistamine drugs a week in advance. the last time i saw an allergist for allergy testing i think i cut down my seroquel or stopped it a couple of days in advance. has anyone else had to do that before allergy testing? i don't think i'm going to do that this time.

this is really bad though and i don't know if its autoimmune related, or primarily allergies. does anyone else go a little extra crazy during allergy season?

Umm...I get crazy, but in the opposite direction. Atypical depressionish. I sleep more, I eat more, extremely lethargic, I'm more likely to ditch class so I can lay down in my bed crying. Never mind how miserable and horrible my allergies make me feel. I'm on a heavy duty antibiotic and a steroid just about every spring.

However, that changed this spring. My doctor didn't tell me to discontinue meds, he just gave me Singulair and Advair, and I added Claritin to my pillbox, and it smoothed things right out. I now sleep as much as I used to, have more energy, and...well, I'm still lethargic and depressed, but I can drag myself out of bed and feel awake in about two hours, and I don't ditch class in order to curl up in bed and cry. (The depression's not really a surprise - I already know what I need to do with my meds to smooth this out.)

Before this, I also needed doxycycline and albuterol (yet another spring with an antibiotic and steroid), because I got the flu, then a cold, then the bronchitis hung around. (A Z-Pak didn't work - partially killed it, then it came back.) I was chest-coughing incredibly loudly almost all the time. :/ Funny how opening your lungs can make that stop.

Edited by ghost_train, 23 April 2009 - 09:01 PM.

#3 lottacrazy

lottacrazy

Here but not really

• Pip
  • 571 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:53 PM

My SO and MIL both just went in for tests, she went in with the stuff in her system, had to come back a week later, he didnt take anything for the week and they were able to help him and figure it out the same day...turns out they are both allergic to anthistamines...lol classic!

I get skin rashes when the wind blows wrong, I get huge dinner plate size hives, it sucks and yes I do feel funny, like I am coming down from taking pain killers or something, things are cloudy. It sucks bad but that being said just listen to waht they say, you will suffer one week instead of two and will get relief that much quicker.

Speaking of allergies I need to stock up on Caladryl and benadryl, thanks for the awful reminder ;)
DX: BP1, OCD, PTSD Possible ADD

Present RX: Paxil 15mg, Depakote 750mg, Ativan .5mg
Past RX: Paxil, Zoloft, Serzone, Depakote, Respirdol, Adivan

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.