• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Generica

Generica

The generic one

• Pip
  • 258 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 04:27 AM

In the past I've been given valium for my anxiety and panic attacks, PRN only, 5-10mg. Recently my gp prescribed me ativan instead. It does nothing for anxiety or panic at 1mg, I don't even feel like I've 'taken' anything. Taking 2mg however sends me into a half asleep stupor, I'm useless, which defeats the purpose of taking something so that I can cope in the world. Valium seems to solve the panic/anxiety while letting me function, even at up to 20mg which I've been given while hospitalized.

Ativan seems a bit of a weird med for me. I thought all benzos would have been roughly the same in their effect? A case of YMMV perhaps?
DX: BP I - mixed. Psychotic depressive episodes, panic disorder, anxiety, PTSD. Insomnia is back & sending me more crazy.

#2 The Emperor

The Emperor

Is there a hole for me to get sick in?

• Pip
  • 3728 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 05:30 PM

In the past I've been given valium for my anxiety and panic attacks, PRN only, 5-10mg. Recently my gp prescribed me ativan instead. It does nothing for anxiety or panic at 1mg, I don't even feel like I've 'taken' anything. Taking 2mg however sends me into a half asleep stupor, I'm useless, which defeats the purpose of taking something so that I can cope in the world. Valium seems to solve the panic/anxiety while letting me function, even at up to 20mg which I've been given while hospitalized.

Ativan seems a bit of a weird med for me. I thought all benzos would have been roughly the same in their effect? A case of YMMV perhaps?

That does seem odd. I guess 1mg of ativan is equal to 10mg valium, so it technically SHOULD have the same effect on you, but some people report getting more tired with one benzo than another and so on. Something to take up with your doctor. Can you cut the ativan in half? Maybe take one and a half? I don't know, I'm no expert, I just started klonopin a month ago and it'ss my first benzo, but it seems to do the job for me. Good luck, sorry if this was useless.

What the docs wrote down about my Crazy: Bipolar II, Some anxiety issue
The pills they give me to fix this shit: Lamictal 175mg, clonazepam 1mg , Trileptal 600mg
Pills that did NOT fix this shit: Sertraline, Buspirone, Mirtazipine, Paroxetine, Gabapentin, Effexor XR, Lorazepam, Cymbalta(twice), Zolpidem, Bupropion XL, Pristiq, Fluoxetine, Vistaril, Lexapro, Celexa, Trazodone, Geodon

Pills that worked well enough but side effects were total shit so I stopped: Abilify, Lithium, valium

sun moon stars rain

#3 gizmo

gizmo

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it.

• Pip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 12:00 AM

Valium didn't do anything for me, so I can't speak to it. Ativan, in my opinion, worked very fast at the dose I was prescribed, 2 mg. I personally didn't feel tired, but I have a giant metabolism, so that's not surprising. I would suggest taking 1.5 mg and seeing if it works for you.

In my experience, ativan hits you fast and hard, and dies out within 6-8 hours.

Benzos all act differently, in my opinion. Though some of them aren't by much.
Diagnosis: BP I with Psychotic Features, GAD, ADHD, Chronic Migraines, various physical stuff.
Meds Currently On: Depakote 2000 mg, Risperdal 8 mg, Latuda 80 mg, Prozac 60 mg, Vyvanse 70 mg, Propranolol 40 mg BID, Klonopin 2 mg BID PRN
Meds Sort-Of Mental Related: Lipitor 40 mg, Zofran 4 mg PRN, Fioricet PRN, Stadol PRN, Botox received on 8/16/13

I post on an iPhone, so please forgive grammatical errors or strange word inclusions. It's the auto correct!

#4 Generica

Generica

The generic one

• Pip
  • 258 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:31 AM

Interesting. Thanks Gizmo and The Emperor. I will try cutting one in half and having 1.5mg, they are such tiny pills though.

I'm seeing my pdoc tomorrow and he doesn't like me being on benzos, so it may be a moot point. I only take them as needed when panic or anxiety gets crippling but I suspect I'll need to find another option. Benzos aren't looked upon very favorably by the medical and psychiatric profession here full stop. Which is a shame really as they definitely have their place if their use is properly managed. I guess when I run out of this lot I'll go back to hiding in the toilet again the next time I have an attack at work!
DX: BP I - mixed. Psychotic depressive episodes, panic disorder, anxiety, PTSD. Insomnia is back & sending me more crazy.

#5 danceintherain

danceintherain

• Pip
  • 1082 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:52 AM

I'm a little confused--did you get the current supply because the doctor agreed something was necessary...but you know that he/she won't continue with it long-term?

I know that a lot of people aren't for the regular maintenance dose of benzos, but I have to admit, I really think it's part of what's been doing the trick for me recently (that plus a tiny bit of Risperdal at night). If it's something that's helping you keep from having the painful panic attacks that overwhelm you, it seems like it's worth exploring?
bipolar I ish. Used to have some ptsd-like crap, but that's resolved.

current RXs: Ativan (1 mg), Lamictal (300mg, split); WellbutrinXL (150mg); geodon (20mgs w/ food). Also levothyroxine (75 mcg), levosertralizine, and
birth control.

Past Rxs: zoloft (like a sugar pill); lexapro (hit an akathesia problem or something else nasty like that); seroquel; ambien; sonata (all worked at different points in time, just changed for different reasons); effexorXR (wonderful for helping to yank me out of an episode; stopped after a few years b/c it seemed to be causing some agitation).

#6 gizmo

gizmo

• Pip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:00 PM

Generica -

That blows! Here - let's give you something that makes you feel better for a month, then take it away again. WTF kind of thinking is that? Does your doctor think that your attacks are going to go away after taking the ativan for a month, like strep throat after taking antibiotics?

Then rational discussion is in order the next time you see the doctor. "The ativan reduced the duration of my daily panic attacks from 4 hours to 15 minutes. I would like to continue the medication at the dose you prescribed me last month." See if the doc's eyes pop out of his sockets.

BTW, if you let the ativan tablets dissolve under your tongue, they work faster (no, it doesn't taste bad). Once there's only a residual "graininess" left, you can swallow it. I saw it on a tv show once, and tried it out while on vacation. It really does work.
Diagnosis: BP I with Psychotic Features, GAD, ADHD, Chronic Migraines, various physical stuff.
Meds Currently On: Depakote 2000 mg, Risperdal 8 mg, Latuda 80 mg, Prozac 60 mg, Vyvanse 70 mg, Propranolol 40 mg BID, Klonopin 2 mg BID PRN
Meds Sort-Of Mental Related: Lipitor 40 mg, Zofran 4 mg PRN, Fioricet PRN, Stadol PRN, Botox received on 8/16/13

I post on an iPhone, so please forgive grammatical errors or strange word inclusions. It's the auto correct!

#7 The Emperor

The Emperor

• Pip
  • 3728 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:58 PM

Generica -

That blows! Here - let's give you something that makes you feel better for a month, then take it away again. WTF kind of thinking is that? Does your doctor think that your attacks are going to go away after taking the ativan for a month, like strep throat after taking antibiotics?

Then rational discussion is in order the next time you see the doctor. "The ativan reduced the duration of my daily panic attacks from 4 hours to 15 minutes. I would like to continue the medication at the dose you prescribed me last month." See if the doc's eyes pop out of his sockets.

BTW, if you let the ativan tablets dissolve under your tongue, they work faster (no, it doesn't taste bad). Once there's only a residual "graininess" left, you can swallow it. I saw it on a tv show once, and tried it out while on vacation. It really does work.

It's magic. They MAGICALLY DISAPPEAR ON THEIR OWN!!!! Panic attacks are temporary, yup, a month should cover it. Ugh. I am very unappreciative of the views the medical community has on benzos, or rather, the retards that made it possible for them to be viewed this way. I am glad my GP was generous enough to supply me with 3 refills. She understands that "hopefully someday you'll get to the point where you only need them once a week" And I fucking hope so, but until that point, I want these damn pills. Why should you hide in the bathroom at work when you DON'T HAVE TO? You know, there's a pill for that. And your doctor knows it and doesn't want you to have it?? That fucking pisses me off to no end. Sorry about this rant.

The pills they give me to fix this shit: Lamictal 175mg, clonazepam 1mg , Trileptal 600mg
Pills that did NOT fix this shit: Sertraline, Buspirone, Mirtazipine, Paroxetine, Gabapentin, Effexor XR, Lorazepam, Cymbalta(twice), Zolpidem, Bupropion XL, Pristiq, Fluoxetine, Vistaril, Lexapro, Celexa, Trazodone, Geodon

Pills that worked well enough but side effects were total shit so I stopped: Abilify, Lithium, valium

sun moon stars rain

#8 Generica

Generica

The generic one

• Pip
  • 258 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 10:58 PM

Thanks for your understanding and yeah, it really pisses me off too. I hate getting to the point where I'm hyperventilating at work and have to run away and hide. It is humiliating among other things.

I should clarify - my GP prescribed me the Ativan, although reluctantly. It is my p-doc who is dead against them. I saw him this morning & he reiterated that he doesn't want me on them. I told him about my panic attacks, anxiety and insomnia and he said that he thought we should just leave things as they are and I'll see him in 6 weeks! I did say that I take benzos only when desperate and asked him what I should do, but he didn't have any suggestions, I asked would another antipsychotic help but he won't consider it seeing as I got TD last time.

At a push I could probably see my GP again and ask her... but my p-doc sends her an update after each visit so he may specifically mention it, and a lot of times I visit my GP about anything MI related she phones through to the p-doc anyway, cos she's not very experienced in the field.

I wish p-doc would be more helpful here but he knows I have a history of substance abuse. But then again so do I, which is why I am super cautious about not taking benzos til I'm at my most desperate.

#9 The Emperor

The Emperor

• Pip
  • 3728 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 12:33 AM

I have to be fairly cautious with them as well, the only addiction I have had is nicotine, which I am in the process of quittting, so I understand what you mean. I have abused drugs in the past, but nothing stuck, I was never addicted to anything. I also only use my benzo when necessary and never more than what was RX'd to me without consulting my doctor.

And this now is why I have no p-doc right now and no diagnosis to be entirely honest. I suffer from anxiety of some kind and probably a variety of anxiety, I know this, I have suffered greatly because of it before, and I have some ideas as to what it may be, and that's enough for me. My GP recognizes the fact too, and we are working on it. I am taking the klonopin as I am waiting for the BuSpar to actually DO SOMETHING, and then whenever I need the klonopin and the BuSpar can't help. My GP is willing to give me the klonopin, I don't know about testing my luck with a p-doc, though I crave a diagnosis and an accurate form of treatment for whatever is wrong with me, I have something that WORKS. I know not all dr.s are going to be as willing as my GP to RX me a benzo, I don't want to risk a p-doc, I guess, who would be against it. I know they work for me when I absolutely need them. I don't use more that RX'd to me and they help me feel normal. I am scared of a time in my life when they may be taken away from me and I don't have that "security blanket" of just knowing they are there. I WILL NOT abuse them because I NEED them and I want them around for when I am too scared to get out of bed in the morning because of all the crap that's going to freak me out during the day.

Hopefully you get this worked out, sometimes you have to try EVERY SINGLE OTHER THING before getting a benzo as a maitenence drug. I am willing to do that, but I want my klonopin in the meantime! Good luck to you!

sun moon stars rain

#10 Generica

Generica

The generic one

• Pip
  • 258 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 05:51 AM

I WILL NOT abuse them because I NEED them and I want them around for when I am too scared to get out of bed in the morning because of all the crap that's going to freak me out during the day.

Ex-flipping-actly!

I think maybe p-docs are more hung up on the idea of benzos because they see the anxiety, panic, insomnia, whatever, as symptoms of an overall disorder or issue that they wish to treat with a longer term medication. Which is certainly fair enough. However, this doesn't address the emergency aspect. Which is why I think GPs are perhaps more likely to prescribe benzos - to get you through something. Longer term issues and they tend to have someone to refer you off to.

I'm curious about the Buspar. Have only heard about it on sites outside of my own country. Wonder if I can get it here, and how it is considered by the medical profession (hell, whether the medical profession here have even heard of it given we seem to be years behind the States here in Oz!).

In the meantime, I hope it does something for you soon.

#11 The Emperor

The Emperor

• Pip
  • 3728 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 12:02 PM

I know, I'm certain that my GP is trying to take care of it all with the BuSpar, but in the meantime, before it kicks in, I get a few klonopin to help me. She is doing what you say your p-doc is doing, trying to treat an overall condition(and I don't believe I have panic disorder, but other crazy anxiety issues, sometimes it gets so bad in public I feel like fainting) this condition(whatever the hell it may be) causes me severe anxiety issues often. She is trying to treat GAD with the Buspirone(BuSpar) which I also believe I have, but I think there are other things that don't fall under just GAD categories that the Buspirone is not going to take care of. Ugh, and this is why I need a p-doc, so I can find out what is wrong with me because my GP(she's great) is not qualified to treat me. BUT I don't want to lose the klonopin.

The BuSpar I am fairly certain is used to treat GAD, though some found it helpful for social anxiety, it isn't indicated for that though. The mimimun therapuetic dosage is 30mg per day I think. I had a BAAAD reaction to Zoloft, so my GP was concerned about me starting off anything at a normal dose, so I started well over a month ago at 10mg per day(which is nothing) and in creased it slowly by mg incriments. Up to 30mg p/d now and nothing yet, I've been on this dosage for two weeks already. I am upping it anoth 5mg today, I don't have any side effects and often wonder if it is a placebo. I WAS sleeping really well on it though, that was the good thing. Anyway, I hear it works best as an augment for an SSRI, so if you;re on one of those, give it a shot if you can, figure out what they call it over there.

Good luck!!

sun moon stars rain

#12 gizmo

gizmo

• Pip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:22 PM

I wish p-doc would be more helpful here but he knows I have a history of substance abuse. But then again so do I, which is why I am super cautious about not taking benzos til I'm at my most desperate.

Boy, those are the most dreaded words in the benzo prescribing vocabulary : history of substance abuse. I know about that one all too well. See, in a dysphoric mania, I tried frantically to calm myself down with xanax (at the time, I didn't know what a dysphoric mania was, damn pdoc). And when that didn't work, I took some more, and some more, and some more. You get the idea. Basically, I took enough that I could have killed myself. Instead, I cooked my family a supper of pan seared chicken breasts and pork chops. Nothing else. Then two hours later I told my hubby I felt funny and thought I should go to the hospital.

They, of course, wouldn't let me leave unless it was in the care of the phospital, where I detoxed cold turkey off xanax. Now, let me tell you, that's not fun.

My pdoc dropped me as a patient.

In the search for a new pdoc, everytime I mentioned my uncontrolled anxiety and my reason for last hospitalization, it was bye-bye benzos. It took three pdocs (1 dropped me, I dropped one, and I lost one due to insurance change) before I found a pdoc who prescribed me benzos again. And the ONLY reason she did was because she knew my meds were under lock and key and I had no way of ODing on them again.

The funny thing is no one understands that now that I know what a dysphoric mania is and how is can't be controlled by xanax, I feel no urges to overuse the drug. Every day I have a 1 mg tablet sitting in my pill cup that 5 times out of 7 I never touch. I just don't need it. But I'll forever be stigmatized by that one misguided and foolish episode I had 16 months ago.

#13 celestia

celestia

• Pip
  • 3855 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 02:03 PM

Does your doctor think that your attacks are going to go away after taking the ativan for a month, like strep throat after taking antibiotics?

Ha. Good one.

You mean you can actually swallow them whole? ;) JK. If I need Ativan, I need to put it under my tongue. Not one much for hanging out waiting for the drugs to be absorbed through my stomach when I'm on the ceiling.

Anyhoo. The docs around here are pretty conservative with benzos too. Appropriately so, at least imo. I've experienced benzo w/d and it is NO FUN. But to me a good pdoc is one who does recognize that sometimes that's what it takes to get the job done, and as adults, we can handle a little bit of responsibility for our treatment.
diagnoses: MDD/ADD/PTSD
Current meds: Wellbutrin 450/Lexapro 30

#14 Guest_RICK_*

Guest_RICK_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2009 - 11:12 PM

Does your doctor think that your attacks are going to go away after taking the ativan for a month, like strep throat after taking antibiotics?

Ha. Good one.

You mean you can actually swallow them whole? ;) JK. If I need Ativan, I need to put it under my tongue. Not one much for hanging out waiting for the drugs to be absorbed through my stomach when I'm on the ceiling.

Anyhoo. The docs around here are pretty conservative with benzos too. Appropriately so, at least imo. I've experienced benzo w/d and it is NO FUN. But to me a good pdoc is one who does recognize that sometimes that's what it takes to get the job done, and as adults, we can handle a little bit of responsibility for our treatment.

My 1mg ATIVAN are called ATIVAN SL.... sublingual meaning they are meant to go under you tounge! If your say SL and your swallowing them..... they do not work well!

#15 meesh72

meesh72

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 06:13 PM

My Pdoc prescribed Ativan .5mg to me in May. I was instructed to take 1/2 to 1 tablet as needed for anxiety. I have taken a total of 7 of these pills since they were prescribed and I also felt absolutely nothing. My last visit to Pdoc last week, resulted in her telling me to take one &1/2 tablets (they are sooo tiny I don't know how I can 1/2 one), but honestly I am scared to take too much. I have heard how easy it is to become dependant on them, and I don't want that to happen. I told her I don't really need them that often, but when I need one, it would be nice if it worked! I have not yet tried the under the tongue technique, but next time I need one, I think I will try that.

#16 tryp

tryp

DBT = Diary Card Bingo

• Inmate
  • 6857 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 06:20 PM

Hey meesh,

So if you took 1 and a half tablets, you'd be taking up to 0.75 mg, right?

That's not a huge dose for Ativan. When I took it, I was on 1 mg daily for a month, then stopped cold turkey and had no withdrawals. Later, I was on 2 mg per day in divided doses for two weeks or so. Again stopped cold turkey with no withdrawals (all this stopping was on my pdoc's direction).

I was worried about addiction too, but it's definitely possible to use this stuff responsibly, and you're not on a big enough dose or taking it frequently enough that you're likely to have problems, as long as you keep your eye on it.

Dx: Complex PTSD
Tx: Lamictal (250) + prazosin (7.5) + "therapy"

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.