• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#1 daisy

daisy

Daisy

• Pip
  • 527 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:03 PM

My pdoc gave me a sample today of Aplenzin, which was just released for sale. I couldn't find a lot of information on it. He said that it would likely have less side effects than my Wellbutrin XL, but from what I've read, the only differences are that alcohol will not affect the release of the drug and that those who take 450 mg of Wellbutrin a day can now only take one pill.

I've google searched and that's all of the info I can find. Anybody know about this? What makes it so different from Wellbutrin XL? Anybody else going to be a guinea pig?

Love, Daisy

Dx: Bipolar II that mainly focuses on severe depression. I also have General Anxiety Disorder with panic attacks, ADHD - inattentive, mild OCD, mild agoraphobia, mild "some sort of eating disorder,"and insomnia. I also have Hopefulness, Optimism, Idealism & Surprisingly Happy Disorder. That helps!  :)

Rx: Lamictal 400 mg, Geodon 160 mg, Forfivo 450 mg, Armour Thyroid 60 mg, Vyvanse 70 mg, Adderall 30 mg PRN, clonazepam 1 mg TID, temazepam 60 mg, alprazolam 1 mg PRN, and Diet Dr Pepper 2x daily. (Will be going off Forfivo, Vyvanse, and Adderall completely and cutting down on benzos for a medical study for dTMS for Bipolar Depression.)

Previous Rx: Abilify, Adderall XR, Ambien, Ambien CR, Aplenzin, Concerta, Deplin, Effexor, Latuda, Lexapro, Lithium, Lunesta, Parnate, Paxil, Pristiq, Prozac, Remeron, Ritalin, Seroquel, Sonata, Topamax, Trazodone, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, and Zoloft.
Other Treatments: 15 unilateral ECT treatments between August 5, 2011 to September 29, 2011; 13 bilateral ECT treatments between November 2, 2011 to December 16, 2011. Use of a light box.

"A dream is a wish your heart makes when you're fast asleep. In dreams, you will lose your heartaches. Whatever you wish for, you keep. Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow will come smiling through. No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dreams that you wish will come true."
-- Cinderella

"I could never be cynical. I wouldn't dare. I'd roll over and die before that."
-- Audrey Hepburn

"Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplaceable spark, in the hopeless swamps of the not-quite, the not-yet, and the not-at-all. Do not let the hero in your soul perish in the lonely frustration for the life you deserved and have never been able to reach. The world you desire can be won. It exists. It is real. It is possible. It is yours."
-- Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

#2 daisy

daisy

Daisy

• Pip
  • 527 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:35 PM

It's the same active ingredient as the Wellbutrin your were taking with what appears to be a slightly different way of delivering the medication. There's really not all that much difference technically.

It's very possible that it will feel no different at all from your normal tablets. It is possible that it might feel different. I'm of the attitude that if what you're on is working and is afforrdable, there's no reason to change.

Is there a cost difference between your normal Wellbutrin and Aplenzin?

I'm not sure about the cost difference as he just gave me a sample. I mentioned that I got bad side effects from the generic I'm currently on (Teva) but when that happened in the past, I switched to another Wellbutrin XL generic and I was fine. (I just went back on Wellbutrin and totally forgot how much I hated the Teva generic and forgot to request a different generic brand.) He just mentioned that this might have less side effects. I'm sure there WILL be a cost difference, so I probably won't even get a prescription for this. However, I'm willing to try something new. If I can tell a definite difference, then I'll switch. I don't think there will be much difference, though.

To be honest, it sounds like Biovail just wants to make some money... from what I've read so far, bupropion hydrobromide doesn't seem to have that many differences from bupropion hydrochloride. Then again, there's not a lot of information out there about it since it's just been available in the US for a few days.

Love, Daisy

Dx: Bipolar II that mainly focuses on severe depression. I also have General Anxiety Disorder with panic attacks, ADHD - inattentive, mild OCD, mild agoraphobia, mild "some sort of eating disorder,"and insomnia. I also have Hopefulness, Optimism, Idealism & Surprisingly Happy Disorder. That helps!  :)

Rx: Lamictal 400 mg, Geodon 160 mg, Forfivo 450 mg, Armour Thyroid 60 mg, Vyvanse 70 mg, Adderall 30 mg PRN, clonazepam 1 mg TID, temazepam 60 mg, alprazolam 1 mg PRN, and Diet Dr Pepper 2x daily. (Will be going off Forfivo, Vyvanse, and Adderall completely and cutting down on benzos for a medical study for dTMS for Bipolar Depression.)

Previous Rx: Abilify, Adderall XR, Ambien, Ambien CR, Aplenzin, Concerta, Deplin, Effexor, Latuda, Lexapro, Lithium, Lunesta, Parnate, Paxil, Pristiq, Prozac, Remeron, Ritalin, Seroquel, Sonata, Topamax, Trazodone, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, and Zoloft.
Other Treatments: 15 unilateral ECT treatments between August 5, 2011 to September 29, 2011; 13 bilateral ECT treatments between November 2, 2011 to December 16, 2011. Use of a light box.

"A dream is a wish your heart makes when you're fast asleep. In dreams, you will lose your heartaches. Whatever you wish for, you keep. Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow will come smiling through. No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dreams that you wish will come true."
-- Cinderella

-- Audrey Hepburn

"Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplaceable spark, in the hopeless swamps of the not-quite, the not-yet, and the not-at-all. Do not let the hero in your soul perish in the lonely frustration for the life you deserved and have never been able to reach. The world you desire can be won. It exists. It is real. It is possible. It is yours."

#3 daisy

daisy

Daisy

• Pip
  • 527 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:04 PM

With your issues with side effects on the Teva version, it sounds like he's trying to see if this version helps with side effects.

Aplenzin is not a generic exactly, so it will be more expensive most likely under your insurance (if you have it). If it's not something you'll be able to afford and the other generic works for you, you might want to drop the Aplenzin and stick with what you know. On the other hand, if your doc is willing to hand out samples indefinitely, it's a good way to get free drugs.

I have to be up front, I am very biased against changing manufacturers and/or from brand to generic or vice versa because I've had trouble. I seem to be in the minority, though.

I understand why you would be against changing manufacturers or from brand to generic. I personally have had no problems with brand/generic switches, except when I switched from another generic (I can't remember which one) to Teva's version of Wellbutrin XL last time I was on Wellbutrin. I don't ever really get side effects from medications, but Teva's generic makes my heart beat very fast and sometimes my chest hurts.

I'm not against the companies trying to make a brand out of a generic by changing a few things. After all, I'm on Pristiq, which I love and has helped me tremendously. I have no side effects. Granted, it's been about 11-12 years since I went on Effexor, but I remember feeling incredibly sick. (Of course, I was 10 and that was the first anti-depressant they gave me, so I'm sure it wouldn't have been as bad if I understood what it would do to me.) So I'm more than willing to try the Aplenzin. While I prefer to get generics because of the cheaper cost, when it comes to my mental health, I'm willing to pay for whatever it takes to make me feel better. I'll probably end up sticking with Wellbutrin XL and requesting a different generic, but I'll always try something new just in case it's right for me.

After day one on Aplenzin... my pdoc was right. I have NO side effects. At all. I literally feel like I didn't put any medication in my system. While I sometimes claim that I don't ever have side effects from my medication, I can still always tell that I have it in my system in some way. Wellbutrin XL, for example, increases my energy. Aplenzin did not do this today. However, I woke up with a migraine before I took it, so that could have affected the increase of energy I usually feel when I take bupropion. I definitely missed the energy!

Since it sounds like I'm the only guinea pig and I can't find any info on the net, I will keep y'all updated on how it goes.

Love, Daisy

-- Cinderella

-- Audrey Hepburn

#4 daisy

daisy

Daisy

• Pip
  • 527 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 12:53 PM

Day 2... 12:40 PM

I'm realizing that it will probably be hard for me to evaluate this medication in the state I'm in. I woke up depressed yesterday, so I just wanted to let you all know that I am going to give you a biased view of this medication. Since I'm sure most of you don't read my novels of posts, I do have a pattern of intense mood swings, so this isn't abnormal. Yesterday I woke up on the depression side and today is worse. I don't want to attribute this to the Aplenzin, since it's something that has been happening very often lately.

I'm still not feeling the Aplenzin in my body, which I like. I can feel the Pristiq and I can feel my Vyvanse. (Am I the only one that can tell the feelings I get from each medication. They're not BAD, but I can just feel them. I've taken them all separately, so I can tell what feelings come from what medication. That sounds incredibly weird, but whatever.) I am REALLY not feeling any side effects from it. On the other hand, one side effect that I LIKED from the Wellbutrin XL was a lot of energy. Like I said, I can't contribute my lack of energy to the Aplenzin, since I started taking it while depressed. I tend to not get energy from ANY medicine when I'm this down. (Even though I've taken Pristiq and Vyvanse, I still want to take a nap haha.)

I was also kind of binge eating yesterday and craving carbs, which I haven't done for a while. But again... depression. Can't attribute to Aplenzin.

There is one POSSIBLE side effect that is perhaps TMI. I know Bupropion is known for its lack of sexual side effects. I don't see how Aplenzin would be any different from Wellbutrin in this aspect, so it's possible that this is also the depression. There was a little bit lessened sensation and things were taking much, much longer than usual. Perhaps it's TMI, but I know we all hate sexual side effects, so I thought I'd let you all know. I'll have to keep experimenting to see if this is really a problem with the Aplenzin. Just to make sure, of course. ;)

My doctor only gave me a 7 day sample, but I think I'll call and see if I can get another 2 or 3. I need to call my insurance company and see how much it will cost. I found out it will also cost me more to get a different Wellbutrin generic. If this begins to help and continues to give me a lack of side effects, I'll compare the cost difference and see which is a better deal. I'll likely stick with the Wellbutrin and just get a different generic, but it would be great if I could get a few more free samples from my pdoc. I'll just tell him I want to make sure it works before I go spending a ton of money on a new med when I JUST bought the Wellbutrin! He's pretty cool, so hopefully he'll agree.

Love, Daisy

-- Cinderella

-- Audrey Hepburn

#5 Guest_Jim_*

Guest_Jim_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2009 - 12:20 AM

I had my bi-monthly appmt with my pdoc (he would like me to come more often but I am on a major budget and have no insurance) today. Ditto your experience -- I have come home with two free 7 day samples. The only thing pissing me off is I read the attached paperwork and also the web site and both clearly communicate that since I was taking 150mg per day of Wellbutrin XL, my dose of Aplenta should be the 172. But I've been given the 342. I'm guessing there are no 172 samples. And my doc told me to take 2! I am questioning his professionalism for the first time now, as 684 is beyond the max which is 522! And buproprion has a higher rate of causing seizures in high doses. Maybe the doc was off today. As I've been taking 150 mg of Wellbutrin XL for 3 years now. With nothing else. I got the rash with trileptal mood stabilizer, and I had gone for years without a mood stabilizer while on Celexa. Then Lithium gave me side effects I did not want. So I go without an mood stabilizer, having a bottle of lithium on hand in case I go hypomanic, and I pop the lithium for 3 or 4 days which brings me back down to midline normal mood when I go hypomanic which is once every 2 years or something, triggered externally by events in my life.

But he's on the same page as your report of feeling like it has less side effects. As my wife thinks I'm hypomanic -- and he believes her unfortunately I guess. So he wants to see if we will both be happy I guess. What he can't realize since he's only seen my wife a few times, is that my wife has bigger problems than I do.

So I'll pop one of these babies in the morning, and drive back to the doc's office to ask him in person why my doseage has been doubled and why he told me to quadruple it as well. I think he just had an off moment or day or something. It's a mystery.

I am a little concerned that your depression has increased as it *could* be the change in anti depressant. I'll come back and let you know what I find as I don't have mood swings. I experience BP I as unipolar depression oddly enough. Except for those once in a blue moon hypomanic moods, and except for the one and only weeklong full blown manic episode which brought me the diagnosis of BP I.

Jim

#6 daisy

daisy

Daisy

• Pip
  • 527 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 08:07 AM

I had my bi-monthly appmt with my pdoc (he would like me to come more often but I am on a major budget and have no insurance) today. Ditto your experience -- I have come home with two free 7 day samples. The only thing pissing me off is I read the attached paperwork and also the web site and both clearly communicate that since I was taking 150mg per day of Wellbutrin XL, my dose of Aplenta should be the 172. But I've been given the 342. I'm guessing there are no 172 samples. And my doc told me to take 2! I am questioning his professionalism for the first time now, as 684 is beyond the max which is 522! And buproprion has a higher rate of causing seizures in high doses. Maybe the doc was off today. As I've been taking 150 mg of Wellbutrin XL for 3 years now. With nothing else. I got the rash with trileptal mood stabilizer, and I had gone for years without a mood stabilizer while on Celexa. Then Lithium gave me side effects I did not want. So I go without an mood stabilizer, having a bottle of lithium on hand in case I go hypomanic, and I pop the lithium for 3 or 4 days which brings me back down to midline normal mood when I go hypomanic which is once every 2 years or something, triggered externally by events in my life.

But he's on the same page as your report of feeling like it has less side effects. As my wife thinks I'm hypomanic -- and he believes her unfortunately I guess. So he wants to see if we will both be happy I guess. What he can't realize since he's only seen my wife a few times, is that my wife has bigger problems than I do.

So I'll pop one of these babies in the morning, and drive back to the doc's office to ask him in person why my doseage has been doubled and why he told me to quadruple it as well. I think he just had an off moment or day or something. It's a mystery.

I am a little concerned that your depression has increased as it *could* be the change in anti depressant. I'll come back and let you know what I find as I don't have mood swings. I experience BP I as unipolar depression oddly enough. Except for those once in a blue moon hypomanic moods, and except for the one and only weeklong full blown manic episode which brought me the diagnosis of BP I.

Jim

Sorry to tell you this, Jim, but it looks like you're going to be the only guinea pig!

I know the Aplenzin didn't cause my depressed mood, as that started the morning before I started it. However, the depression was pretty bad for a few days, so I decided to stick on Wellbutrin XL. Even though I might be able to switch to the Aplenzin just fine, I know the Wellbutrin was beginning to work. I'm so unstable lately that I didn't think it was a good idea to switch, even if they do have the same active ingredient, and I liked the lack of side effects. I am wondering if I'm having hypomania during my mood swings. The description sounds exactly like me. I haven't been diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder, but I do know I have some issues with mood stabilization. Whether that's Bipolar Disorder or comes from another cause... I don't know.

I would definitely ask your pdoc about your dosage -- that doesn't sound right at all!!! I was given the equivalent dose for the 300 mg, which I was on before. I'm glad you are not feeling side effects, though. Keep us updated on those!

Love, Daisy

-- Cinderella

-- Audrey Hepburn

#7 Guest_p.s. no drop in sex drive_*

Guest_p.s. no drop in sex drive_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2009 - 10:08 PM

It's all the same spectrum if you ask me Daisy, Depression, Manic Depression, and probably even Schizophrenia, as full blown manic comes with psychosis and hallucinations. (I experienced full blown mania for one week, 10 years ago.) So you may very well have manic depression.

Hypomania makes you feel hyperactive, spring cleaning in a major way type of mood. You might be more sexual. And you might have trouble falling asleep. And you might interrupt people more in conversations. Well you've probably read the symptoms list so I'll leave it at that. Full blown mania is way stronger -- more of like someone slipped a major drug into your food, or that you've made it to Heaven on Earth or something. Pretty weird, kind of interesting, but I guess pretty much always turns sour towards the end and crashes into an equally strong depression. I could only work 2 hours a day after that week as that is all the stress I could tolerate, so I do not want to repeat it. Fortunately I improved. And it seems to do some damage to some brain cells if you ask me, as my memory got worse after the bipolar diagnosis.

I'm on day two of the 344 mg of Aplenzin. I did not take the two tablets. Yesterday at first I felt stimulated like an overdose of caffeine, in the morning, then in the afternoon I felt a little depressive, so I started to think I should go back on Wellbutrin XL, and that the Aplenzin must not disperse as evenly throughout the day as Wellbutrin XL. But in the evening I felt alright, and sort of like you were saying, not noticing any side effects (for me not noticing any hypomanic temperament -- which was always slight for me with Wellbutrin XL 150 mg but was sort of there I could tell, just a tad high in mood.) Today I did not experience the up/down, so it is working fine today. Sometimes I can't tell any difference at all. Other times I think I have less hypomanic temperament as with yesterday evening. I probably should have checked my own blood pressure before and after to see if that changed any, I didn't think of that. Even though I'm on a double dose supposedly, compared to my dose of Wellbutrin XL, it does not feel like it. It feels like a weaker dose. And pretty much the same. Although maybe I am a bit more even keeled now. It would be interesting to try the 172 mg, so I will mention that to my pdoc when I run out of 344 samples.

I'd say it is an improvement for someone with bipolar disorder anyways. But time will tell. That first day I must have experienced a mix of the new drug not quite kicking in yet, and the old drug causing some withdrawal symptoms I think. Just in the afternoon. In the morning I think it was like taking too strong a dose. I'm unusual in that I react to medications faster than most. There are others like me that I have conversed with on the bipolar.about.com forum though. I can take Lithium for 3 or 4 days and it will bring me down from a hypomanic mood. Then I am able to quit it again. Which is not what most people experience as most people have to go for a long time to get the therapeutic level in their blood. Go figure. A lot of this psychiatry stuff is mystery to me.

I'll report back again as I've only gone 2 days. I should know more over time. And it will be interesting to try the 172 mg.

The literature just says that the advantage for this drug over Wellbutrin is you only have to take one pill a day, as it comes in 3 strengths. But I was already taking one a day, so that is not an improvement for me. But it may be that they are cautious about reporting claims that have not been scientifically validated (such as causing less hypomania with people with manic depression.) Who knows. My doctor thought it might, but I don't know where he got his info from. You and I are the only ones on the entire WWW so far talking about it possibly having less side effects than Wellbutrin XL.

Jim

p.s. Daisy -- I have not experienced a drop in sex drive. If anything, I've experienced an increase, although that may be because I'm on the equivalent double dose.

My appetite seems unchanged also. One thing you might look into (you probably do have bipolar but in case you don't) is food allergies or other toxins that are causing your mood swings. For people who are prone to mood swings, I think we pretty much need to be health food nuts.

Edited by null0trooper, 15 April 2009 - 10:28 PM.

#8 Guest_Jim_*

Guest_Jim_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2009 - 10:49 PM

p.s.p.s. I may have a side effect of diahrea, I'm not sure though as I recently went on a healthy diet after reading part of the book "The Ultramind Solution" which advocates going on a six week no gluten no dairy no red meat no sugar etc etc diet, to see how you feel, then adding things back one at a time in some cases not all, to find out what you are allergic to (or at least are sensitive to.) And I think the diahretic symptoms started before I switched to Aplenza. I just thought I should mention it though in case anyone else experiences this. If it continues it might be enough to make me switch back to Wellbutrin XL. It is not strong diahrea, but an uneasiness in the stomach and diahrea when I do need to go, not going more often than usual.

#9 Guest_Jim_*

Guest_Jim_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2009 - 02:14 AM

p.s.p.s.p.s. -- I think the diahrea was due to something else. I have taken all the sampl pills -- two weeks -- and I think Aplenza seems like an improvement over Wellbutrin XL, which is saying a lot as I hold Wellbutrin XL in such high regard I have called it a "wonder drug."

So I will continue on Aplenza, but I'll ask for the 172mg as I probably don't need the 348mg, and since I don't take a mood stabilizer (which is unusual for someone with bipolar disorde I know,) it is not a good idea for me to be on 348mg probably.

Jim

#10 Guest_Belladonna_*

Guest_Belladonna_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2009 - 12:47 PM

I was also given Aplenzin and think it's incredible. I have been on Wellbutrin since it first came out, so about 20 years give or take. My dosage of 450 mg Wellbutrin XL (3 tablets in the am) worked but some of the side effects were horrible (things I just compensated for with other drugs). Insomnia (needed a drug to sleep), grinding teeth (day and night) causing constant headaches, irritability (my brain constatnly felt busy), anxiety worsened and several other side effects.

I was given 5 weeks of samples and all of those side effects went away. The shocker was that I did not realize how severe the side effects I listed were until I switched back to Wellbutin XL! The cost is very high in compared to Wellbutrin XL.

One pill a day was also fantastic. I was actually able to get rid of the sleeper (trazadone and ambien), and quit taking Lamictal as well. That's 6 pills less per day! I also lowered my dosage of Klonipin for anxiety.

It's ridiculous that my insurance company would rather I take so many additional drugs to function than to give me the one pill that works for everything! They are refusing to cover the drug because it is supposedly the exact same thing as Wellbutrin XL.

When will someone listen to the patients and their experiences. If you have to go through several generic drug manufacturers to find one that makes you feel kinda/sorta okay like the brand name and maybe you have to take an extra drug or two to feel normal, something tells me that generic are NOT equivalent to brand name.

Like any antidepressant you will need to take this drug for longer than one week to see the differences.

Good luck! I'm fighting to the death with my insurance company on this.

#11 Guest_Jen_*

Guest_Jen_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2009 - 09:40 AM

I've just been perscribed aplenzin. Not sure how It's working, I'm only on day 2. But Holy Cow it's expensive!!! Anyone know of any generics that are equal to the aplenzin?

#12 Guest_AB_*

Guest_AB_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2009 - 02:47 PM

I've just been perscribed aplenzin. Not sure how It's working, I'm only on day 2. But Holy Cow it's expensive!!! Anyone know of any generics that are equal to the aplenzin?

No generics on the aplenzin but if you make less than $27,000 a year you can get prescription assistance through the sanofi aventis patient assistance foundation.

Ive been taking aplenzin for the past 8 weeks or so and so far I love it, and although I used to only take 150mg of wellbutrin XL I do take 348mg of the aplenzin which is supposedly like taking 300mg of the XL. I still have a good amount of energy on the aplenzin but without the TERRIBLE insomnia and teeth clenching that wellbutrin gave me.

#13 null0trooper

null0trooper

• Pip
  • 3928 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 03:04 PM

The active component is bupropion hydrobromide instead of bupropion hydrochloride, so it's a new synthesis and a new patent, and it's expensive for now. Since 522 mg Aplenzin is roughly equal to 450 mg Wellbutrin, more is ... not really more. The big deal is that it's a 1 pill per day dose at the high end for bupropion.

For the 522 mg Aplenzin, I don't know of a 450 mg extended-release generic, so you would need to take one each of the 300 mg and 150 mg bupropion HCl generics.

Proof once again that we are the only adventurers for whom the letters "AD&D" stand for "Attention Deficit Disorder" - Roy Greenhilt, Order of the Stick

Rule your own nation at Cyber Nations, A nation simulation game! Yes, I do waste spend a lot of time on it, especially the Viridian Entente's alliance boards.

#14 Guest_lgordon_*

Guest_lgordon_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2009 - 04:44 PM

The active component is bupropion hydrobromide instead of bupropion hydrochloride, so it's a new synthesis and a new patent, and it's expensive for now. Since 522 mg Aplenzin is roughly equal to 450 mg Wellbutrin, more is ... not really more. The big deal is that it's a 1 pill per day dose at the high end for bupropion.

For the 522 mg Aplenzin, I don't know of a 450 mg extended-release generic, so you would need to take one each of the 300 mg and 150 mg bupropion HCl generics.

#15 lgordon

lgordon

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 05:05 PM

My experience with Aplenzin is nothing short of incredible. Here's the summary:

I was on 300XL Wellbutrin, the generic version I was able to obtain was Teva. My side effects were:

headaches
loss of appetite (like at most I ate a meal a day or felt like throwing uip)
insomnia, slept about 3 hours a night, and not straight through
incredibly bad sweating (was like running a marathon in Biloxi Mississippi, except the sweating would happen just sitting there chatting)
constipation
lost 20% body mass and I was at an ideal weight already so this was a big problem.
horrible horrible dry mouth

And worse than that. After 6 weeks on the drug with not a ton of improvement in the depression, I started to slide backwards, so far back that I would cry many may times a day, life started getting dark, sad, and full of dispair.

I discussed options and due to other side effects and past issues with others med I had few options. Go up to 450 on Wellbutrin and hope the depression lifted at those levels or try Aplenzin. I opted for Aplenzin. I was presecribed the 522mg version and within 1 WEEK things drastically changed:

All of the Wellbutrin side effects disappeared.
My depression lifted almost overnight.

One could argue that the lifting of the depression was due to an increase in dosage... but then what would be said about dropping all the side effects on just an increased dosage? I'm not buying it's the dosage, I believe there is a difference.

I do have two side effects, a bit of disorganization which is really unusual for me and also mild constipation but this is managable with diet. I re-found my appetite and stopped losing weight. I found Aplenzin to be nothing short of my miracle drug. I realize there is little known about it compared to Wellbutrin and I realize many people think it's the 'same' as Wellbutrin. BUT, with a strong chemistry background I know that even the smallest chemical differences can drastically alter the effect/compounds and I'm a believer that they are very different from each other, at least for me. I am also a believer that generics, as well as brand to brand, are NOT identical, not for everyone.

I've found life, for the first time in years, to be a pleasure. I've found life's disappointments to be manageable and 'ok'. I'm amazed looking backwards how bad things really were, both before I went on Wellbutrin and also how things went bad on Wellbutrin.

I'm starting on my 4th week and so far no changes, I can only hope I continue to benefit from the medicine as I already have.

The price? Sucks. But I will not, under any circumstances switch to a generic if one comes out. And I say this as one of the millions laid off due to the economy, on unemployment and cutting things left and right out of my life to make ends meet. I pay $40 a month or $80 for a 90 day supply. But less than $1/day is more than fair to achieve a level of life satisfaction and happiness I have not had in many years, decades even. So in the end I'm okay with swapping a $5 monthly copay for this higher rate... what's the point in a cheap drug if you start to feel like life sucks all over again?

#16 Guest_GOAplenzin522_*

Guest_GOAplenzin522_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:08 PM

I hear you lgordon...I think Aplenzin is fierce! I was on Wellbutrin 300 mg. Instant Release Brand tablets (GSK manufactured) and was paying $40.00 a month anyways. I am also in a corporate layoff and it has been over a year since I was layed off. (I thank God for the layoff, it was for many purposes) In addition, I had to move back in with my parents and that was for a many God given reasons.

I have a strong pharmacokinetic background and general pleasurable interest in pharmaceutical industries period. You are quite right about the difference between the hydrochloride salt vs. the hydrobromide salt (Wellbutrin IR, SR and XL hCl vs. Aplenzin hBr) and how this can profoundly alter almost all effects from bupropion and the many metabolites that pass through the liver...

I was on 358 (can't remember exact mgs) of Aplenzin for a short while until I realized that I needed to be titrated up to 522 mg. M.D. had no problem with this and Aplenzin is a-m-a-z-i-n-g. There are NO side effects!? I was also experiencing bruxism, I had weight gain instead of weight loss with Wellbutrin and I DID NOT LIKE that, very dry mouth, sometimes felt overstimulated at all the wrong times, etc. but the benefits DEF. outweighed the side effects and I never really thought more about it.

Well, my M.D. has a cornicopia of free 7 day samples that they told me they would keep me on as long as I wanted since they knew my financial situation. I can say that sometimes I feel like the medication does "wain" during maybe the 5-7 PM time period for some reason. As if it is done for the day (I take it at 8 AM btw) however, 8:30-9 PM comes around and BAM there is that 3rd burst of energy, happiness, contentment and general overall wellness that ONLY Aplenzin uniquely accomplishes.

I am def. with you about the diff. in pricing (once I do have to pay for Aplenzin) and Lord Willing not worrying about the co-pay difference bc the REASONING is simply this: For just a bit more per day, I feel exceptionally well. I mean, Wellbutrin was the BOMB and I could not have imagined anything better coming out! Thank God that scientists (even if Bioavail is obviously looking for a huge profit as well in the name of science) do have an interest from both purely scientific and business reasons with trying the different salt (hBr).

I found literature that a new study is showing with mice that it takes MANY MANY MANY more mgs. to induce a seizure with the mice with the Hydrobromide (Aplenzin version) vs. old skool Hydrochloride Wellbutrin IR, SR and XL.

--THAT says something right there. GSK and the seizure drama with marketing back in the 60s through today is quite important to note. However, it WAS TIME to look at another salt by SOMEONE out there to see if there was a NEW benefit for both the client with Major Depressive Disorder and the Pharma producing the medication to make $$$.

I am not a pharma sales rep. BTW which I may seem like from feedback I have received in other forums because I get so excited about Aplenzin (and I have ADHD btw too).

Truly Enjoy the Journey - LIFE IS AMAZING! We woke up didn't we?????????? P-E-A-C-E

#17 Guest_Alana_*

Guest_Alana_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2009 - 02:34 AM

Hi everyone- I've been on 450mg of Wellbutrin for about five years now. My psychiatrist gave me samples of Aplenzin and said it was comparable to Wellbutrin. However, I've been having bad headaches, fatigue, dizziness, and feeling extra thirsty for about a month now, which is around the time I started taking the Aplenzin. I've been thinking maybe I have a sinus infection or tumor or something, but could it be side effects from the Aplenzin? I had written off that idea thinking that they were almost identical, but I generally react poorly to medications and get every side effect on the planet. I was fine on Wellbutrin, but maybe there's something in this I'm reacting to? I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow to examine this problem and I'll be sure to mention it, though it could be a coincidence. Any thoughts?

#18 Guest_OnlySlightly_*

Guest_OnlySlightly_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2009 - 11:40 AM

I switched from Wellbutrin to Aplenzin after 17 years on Wellbutrin and so far this new drug is a miracle worker for me.

Generally i cannot take SSRIs since they turn me into an unproductive zombie (i'm very ADD) but if i take stimulants like Adderall I get very angry and i tend to crash with headaches and depression. I've tried all sorts of other drugs but have never been able to find anything that worked better than Wellbutrin.

Now I've been on Aplenzin 172 for 2.5 weeks and off Wellbutrin 150 for the same amount of time. I'm both happier AND more productive, which i didn't think was possible. Im invited to a party tonight and for the first time i can remember i'm looking forward to going and not just forcing myself to be social. I just hope that this doesn't wear off as i settle into the drug in the coming weeks.

my only complaint -- and it's significant -- was i had hoped that aplenzin would not cause ringing in the ears, which is a worrisome and terrible side effect i've gradually developed on wellbutrin (it goes away when i've tried to go off it completely). but so far, if anything, it seems worse...

#19 Guest_OnlySlightly_*

Guest_OnlySlightly_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2009 - 02:52 PM

UPDATE: So what a difference a week makes. Still on Aplenzin, and it's still better than Wellbutrin, but the day to day happiness has definitely decreased. Does this mean I should increase to the 350 dosage? Or is that initial 2-3 week wave inherently a temporary effect of the drug, more a temporary side effect than permanent?

#20 Guest_BBT_*

Guest_BBT_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2009 - 06:01 PM

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.