Trazodone as a sleep aid

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 kellmate

kellmate

• Pip
  • 204 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 10:32 PM

Anyone have any experience with it as a sleep aid? I'm nervous about it :/ They're also thinking it might be a boost to my mood as well, but I'm nervous about it making me crazy bc of my experience on zoloft. It's only going to be 25-100mgs... but still...
Dx: Depression

Past Rx: lithium... bad reaction with my stomach, lamictal

#2 danceintherain

danceintherain

• Pip
  • 1082 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 06:34 AM

I had a bad reaction to it the morning after I took it, but I know quite a few people who use it (from a day program I was in) and they all seem to feel positive benefits. I've heard that it helps quite a bit with sleep for them and that because it's an anti-depressant, it gave a bit of help in that area also.
bipolar I ish. Used to have some ptsd-like crap, but that's resolved.

current RXs: Ativan (1 mg), Lamictal (300mg, split); WellbutrinXL (150mg); geodon (20mgs w/ food). Also levothyroxine (75 mcg), levosertralizine, and
birth control.

Past Rxs: zoloft (like a sugar pill); lexapro (hit an akathesia problem or something else nasty like that); seroquel; ambien; sonata (all worked at different points in time, just changed for different reasons); effexorXR (wonderful for helping to yank me out of an episode; stopped after a few years b/c it seemed to be causing some agitation).

#3 celestia

celestia

• Pip
  • 3855 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 10:59 AM

I didn't like it. But I've read many people who have had no problems with it.
diagnoses: MDD/ADD/PTSD
Current meds: Wellbutrin 450/Lexapro 30

#4 Raquin

Raquin

• Pip
  • 387 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 01:57 PM

Trazadone gives me REALLY bad headaches, but at one point the doc at the psych ward had me on 300mgs (for sleep! and I was only 17!), which is just ridiculous. I know people who take about 50mgs for sleep and they say it really helps them. The smallest dose I've ever taken was 100mg. I still had a headache from that.
"All writers of confessions, from Augustine on down, have always remained a little in love with their sins."-ANATOLE FRANCE

#5 recoverymouse

recoverymouse

• Pip
  • 528 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 03:45 PM

It's prescribed quite a lot to folks who have substance abuse issues (since it's not abuse-able). I know a lot of people who swear by it, and a lot of others for whom it didn't work at all, or for whom it lost effectiveness over time.

#6 sorrel

sorrel

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 965 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 04:22 PM

At the dose you'll be taking it's very unlikely to have an antidepressant effect (good or bad.) I have taken it for sleep and had no problems and it worked well (100mg.)

#7 kellmate

kellmate

• Pip
  • 204 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 10:15 PM

Thanks forall the input guys. recovery and sorrel those were the exact things I was wondering about, ty ;)

#8 Tenebrae

Tenebrae

misanthropist tree hugger

• Pip
  • 572 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 05:06 AM

i take 50mg at bedtime ... more and it is too sedating the next morning, less and i don't sleep.
it's been a godsend for me ... i have chronic insomnia issues, and nothing else seemed to help (tried the usual suspects, ambien, lunesta, etc.)

good luck!
Vlad Tepes made some good points.
L'enfer, c'est les autres.

dx: all fucked up NOS

#9 kathleenp

kathleenp

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:52 PM

I took it with Zoloft about 10 years ago and put on 40 pounds really quickly. My new doc says that combination is known for doing that. At least I understood him to mean the combination and not just the Trazadone. It did make me sleep though. Just keep an eye on what it's doing to your appetite.

#10 anna23

anna23

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:39 AM

I've taken 50 mg. I think it helps a little, but not all that much. It doesn't guarantee that I'll fall asleep, and when I do fall asleep on it I still usually only sleep a few hours.

#11 dopamine

dopamine

Soldier On

• Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 05:09 PM

Works pretty well for me as a sleep aid @ 50 mg taken ~ 10 minutes before bedtime. It seems to work amazingly fast, as I find that if I take more than 10 minutes before sleep, the trazodone simply induces it.

The "hangover effect" is significant, and I've found a viable alternative in diphenhydramine (50 mg liquid gels). With most sleep meds, however, there is a trade-off between sedation and next-day impairment.

Dx: Generalized anxiety disorder, major depressive disorder, intractable insomnia, ADHD (adult inattentive type), GERD, IBS, Seasonal allergic reaction

Rx: Lexapro 20mg QD, Adderall IR 30mg BID, Zolpidem 10mg PRN (15mg 1-2 times a week), Clonazepam 1mg, Fluticasone spray PRN, Cimetidine 200mg 

#12 hollywoodfreaks

hollywoodfreaks

• Pip
  • 837 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 10:53 PM

I have the weirdest relationship with this drug. This is the only sleeping aid that has worked for me but finding the dose I need to get enough sleep without getting a massive hangover is impossible because my response to this med changes over time. Sometimes I go through periods where 100mg doesn't work at all and other times where it knocks me out so hard that I have such a bad hangover that I can't function. (I guess the trazodone "hangover" could be described as feeling intensely sleepy or fatigued, having a headache, and unable to think straight or keep your attention on something for very long.) I'm really selling this, huh? Everyone reacts differently to different drugs, so I recommend that you try it. You probably don't need to worry about it messing with your BP because I think it takes at least 300mg to actually function as an antidepressant. And my mom is BP and has had no problems with Trazodone. Good luck!
dx: Major depression Current rx: Wellbutrin XL 300 mg, Cymbalta 60mg, Xanax XR .5mg. Just started Ritalin 5mg 2x daily, tapering off of 200mg Lamictal. For sleep: trazodone. Past rx: Lexapro, Zoloft, Cytomel.

#13 kellmate

kellmate

• Pip
  • 204 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 05:42 PM

I used it for the first time last night. It knocked me out, but I had a headache this morning. Not a horrible one, but still. I'll try it one more time and we'll see.

#14 quiet storm

quiet storm

• Pip
  • 370 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 06:32 PM

I used it for the first time last night. It knocked me out, but I had a headache this morning. Not a horrible one, but still. I'll try it one more time and we'll see.

Its common to have a hangover the first few days(I find seroquel is the same way) but it usually goes away. I was on 50mg for a long time and did fairly well on it. But like hollywood freaks said above I did have periods where I would get a hangover for some reason. It knocked me the hell out when I first started it but over time the hardcore knockout effect lessened and it just made me drowsy enough to drift off to sleep. I also believe there is a window with this drug. If I took it and didnt go to bed within an hour of taking it really didnt work.

There's a shadow just behind me, Shrouding every step I take, Making every promise empty, Pointing every finger at me...

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.