Zoloft is making me sick

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rabbit Ztu

Rabbit Ztu

• Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 02:15 PM

I've had some unpleasant side effects the two months I've been taking Zoloft (jaw clenching, intense headaches, nausea, insomnia, panic attacks, leg twitchiness). P-doc decreased the dosage to 12.5 mg/day last week because of side effects but reverted to 25 mg/day starting today. The side effects got worse when we decreased the dosage, but I thought it was withdrawal. I'm supposed to work up to 50 mg/day by next week. That was determined (by p-doc) to be too much early on.

Why would increasing the dosage decrease the side effects? Anyone have any luck with this type of plan? So far, the side effects have sucked the whole time.

I feel so sick and whiney. The benefits don't seem to be worth feeling this shitty and tired. ;)
Dx: Bipolar I, PTSD and some weird sensory stuff thrown in for fun
Currently taking Lamictal (400 mg) and Xanax PRN (1.5 mg)

#2 Cappa

Cappa

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 131 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 03:03 PM

I've had some unpleasant side effects the two months I've been taking Zoloft (jaw clenching, intense headaches, nausea, insomnia, panic attacks, leg twitchiness). P-doc decreased the dosage to 12.5 mg/day last week because of side effects but reverted to 25 mg/day starting today. The side effects got worse when we decreased the dosage, but I thought it was withdrawal. I'm supposed to work up to 50 mg/day by next week. That was determined (by p-doc) to be too much early on.

Why would increasing the dosage decrease the side effects? Anyone have any luck with this type of plan? So far, the side effects have sucked the whole time.

I feel so sick and whiney. The benefits don't seem to be worth feeling this shitty and tired. ;)

Is this your first antidepressant? If not, how have you reacted to previous meds (SSRI or others)? I have no experience with Zoloft specifically but I've read a few accounts where people have been on Zoloft, experienced some issues not unlike what you're describing above and have switched to other SSRI agents with relative success. It's possible that your pdoc thinks that these issues will fade away once you're on the med long enough, but that said, have you asked your pdoc what his strategy is with increasing the dose despite the med affecting you in this way?

Edited by Cappa, 03 June 2009 - 03:08 PM.

#3 Rabbit Ztu

Rabbit Ztu

• Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 08:23 PM

This is one in a long line of antidepressants, mood stabilizers and antipsychotics over 12-15 years. I've tried many meds so far and have not had much success. Can't seem to tolerate them. I understand it takes time to adjust to a medication and try to hang in there until adjustment period is over or p-doc calls it quits. I don't self-medicate. It's frustrating.

Antidepressants almost always activate my bipolar symptoms. Zoloft is the first one that has seemed to help a little, so we're trying different things before moving on to something else.
Dx: Bipolar I, PTSD and some weird sensory stuff thrown in for fun
Currently taking Lamictal (400 mg) and Xanax PRN (1.5 mg)

#4 chimpmaster

chimpmaster

Hairpants for hairpants :)

• Inmate
  • 1265 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:09 AM

This is one in a long line of antidepressants, mood stabilizers and antipsychotics over 12-15 years. I've tried many meds so far and have not had much success. Can't seem to tolerate them. I understand it takes time to adjust to a medication and try to hang in there until adjustment period is over or p-doc calls it quits. I don't self-medicate. It's frustrating.

Antidepressants almost always activate my bipolar symptoms. Zoloft is the first one that has seemed to help a little, so we're trying different things before moving on to something else.

No offence dude, but 12.5mg isnt going to do much at all.

Its possible that ssris arent for you, in which case there are other options like NARIs and SNRIs.

My wife is on 200mg and it works great for her.

Dx : Schizophrenia, paranoid type with panic attacks. Obsessive Compulsive Personality Trait.

Rx : 300mg Clozapine, 1500mg Keppera, 60mg Prozac, 120mg Zeldox, 4mg Reboxetine, 2 oxazepam morning and lunch, 3 in the evening
Ex Rx: Luvox, Paxil, Risperdel, Xanax, Seroquel, Abilify, Zyprexa, Tolvon, Mirtazapine, diazepam.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.