Photo
- - - - -

Any antipsychotics out there that don't cause weight gain?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 remedy48

remedy48

• Pip
  • 475 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 05:46 PM

Any antipsychotics that don't cause weight gain? I'm on stelazine but were looking at going on another one because it doesn't seem to be doing much to treat the psychosis. I just don't like the weight gain.
Dx: Schizoaffective disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder, PTSD, Panic disorder with agoraphobia, generalized anxiety disorder, body dismorphic disorder.
Rx: Seroquel 300mg. , Clonazepam 1mg. ,Cogentin 1mg

#2 Inspired_Neurosis

Inspired_Neurosis

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 603 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 05:52 PM

The bad news: it's a potential side-effect of pretty much all antipsychotics. The good news: they've identified why and are working on it.

Check this out: http://www.medicalne...icles/62905.php.

Sorry. Maybe in a few years they'll master it.

#3 remedy48

remedy48

• Pip
  • 475 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 06:06 PM

Wow that was great to read about. Thanks. Yah hopefully they will come out with a newer class of antipsychotics in the near future.
Dx: Schizoaffective disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder, PTSD, Panic disorder with agoraphobia, generalized anxiety disorder, body dismorphic disorder.
Rx: Seroquel 300mg. , Clonazepam 1mg. ,Cogentin 1mg

#4 withing

withing

tired of being tired...

• Pip
  • 3018 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 06:24 PM

I want to point out that weight gain is only a possible side effect. All side effects are possibilities. They don't happen to everyone. As we like to say here - your mileage may vary. I personally don't think that anyone should NOT take a medication because of something that might or might not happen. Take it and see - you never know, you might find an anti-psychotic that works like a charm with no weight gain! But you won't know until you try it.

Case in point - I haven't gained any weight on Seroquel and it's known for adding on the pounds. As a matter of fact I've been able to lose weight on Seroquel.
`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~
The Past is the textbook of tyrants; the Future the Bible of the Free. Those who are solely governed by the Past stand like Lot's wife, crystallized in the act of looking backward, and forever incapable of looking before. ~Herman Melville, White Jacket
DX: Bipolar (flavor undecided) & various physical stuff
RX: Topamax: 100mg, Seroquel: 200mg, Welbutrin XL: 300

...and then,
Buffy staked Edward.

~~The End~~

#5 unipolarbear

unipolarbear

unipolarbear

• Pip
  • 215 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 05:21 PM

I switched from Zyprexa (serious weight gain) after years and have been on Geodon for a few months now. My weight seems to be re-distributing and going down some. My pdoc says this is a good sign. I think Geodon is weight-neutral, if it works for you (I'm BPI with anxiety). But ymmv, of course.
80mg Geodon, 10mg zyprexa, 350mg Lamictal, 80mg propanolol, pepcid, ativans prn, gemfibrozil, multi, claritin.

"You see, it's all a show; keep them laughing as you go. Just remember the last laugh is on you." Art Garfunkel in As Good As It Gets soundstrack.

#6 gizmo

gizmo

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it.

• Pip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 01:21 AM

Patheral is right. I'm a good case in point. I gained 17 pounds in 3 weeks on "weight neutral" abilify, but have maintained my weight loss on "pound packer" zyprexa.
Diagnosis: BP I with Psychotic Features, GAD, ADHD, Chronic Migraines, various physical stuff.
Meds Currently On: Depakote 2000 mg, Risperdal 8 mg, Latuda 80 mg, Prozac 60 mg, Vyvanse 70 mg, Propranolol 40 mg BID, Klonopin 2 mg BID PRN
Meds Sort-Of Mental Related: Lipitor 40 mg, Zofran 4 mg PRN, Fioricet PRN, Stadol PRN, Botox received on 8/16/13

I post on an iPhone, so please forgive grammatical errors or strange word inclusions. It's the auto correct!

#7 blackbird

blackbird

For all that I found there...

• Pip
  • 1198 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 03:20 AM

I gained 60lbs on 20mg Zyprexa

I have lost the 60lbs on 20mgs Zyprexa by cutting out carbs and eating very sparsely (dieting like Mary-Kate Olsen but hey I have anorexia anyway!)

blackbird x
I STAND ALONE

DX: Schizoaffective (bipolar type - ultra rapid cycling with major paranoid refractory psychosis), Borderline Personality Disorder, OCD, Anorexia Nervosa, Alcohol Dependence (in recovery 26/12/09)

RX: 50mg Risperdal Consta Injection x once per fortnight (equivalent to 6mg a day), 600mg Lithium, 60mgs Prozac, 5mgs Diazepam x 3 a day, 7.5mg Zopiclone

"For years one has to put up with the feeling that people do not care, really care, about one; then one day with growing alarm, one realises that it is God who does not care: and merely that he does not care, he does not care one way or the other"

Lawrence Durrell, "The Alexandria Quartet"

Driven to distraction by the utter lack of tenderness in this world

#8 int23

int23

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 01:21 AM

Invega (Risperdal's prodigal son) has a low occurrence of weight gain it seems. I took it for a short time and had no issues and I typically balloon up right away. May want to try that depending on your needs.

As the article says, it affects a chemical in your brain that can affect hunger thus leaving it wide open. One way I killed that when I was on SSRIs and gaining weight due to random eating (we say we're not eating bad, but we are and don't realize it) was to ingest hoodia or another appetite suppressant. Worked ok for me, but YMMV.
DX: BPII/Rapid Cycling, ASPD
Current RX: Depakote ER 2000mg/Day, Ambien 10mg/Night
Old RX: Trileptal 1800mg/Day, Invega 6mg/day

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.