• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 damnmeds77

damnmeds77

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 02:23 PM

Hi,
My doctor agreed to start me on WellbutrinXL 150mgs in the morning.  i am fine on it.  been a little over 2 weeks and starting to feel some pretty happy days here and there so think it is helping the depression.  it seems to have helped whatever got knocked out of place with the 3 months of Cymbalta.  I am no longer having weird sleeping patterns and I am feeling much more mentally balanced. 
Some anxiety and anger as people have reported, but no major side effects.  Don't feel like eating and smoking less w/o starting the patch yet.
I just think it's weird it seems to mke me tired about an hour after taking it.  I know AD's have paradoxical effects on people, but I don't believe i have ever read anyone saying that Wellbutrin made then sleepy in any way.  I know it is the wellbutrin, and I also have been falling asleep much better at night, more quickly and earlier.  has anyone out there ever experienced sleepiness with wellburtin??? Just curious
--Rach
Med List:
WellbutrinXL 150mgs
Provigil 200 Mgs Daily
Klonopin 3 mgs
Trileptal 300 mgs
Continuous Birth Control-Ortho Novum
Claritin
Asprin or Aleve
As Needed:
Ambien
Xanax
Tenazapam

#2 null0trooper

null0trooper

• Pip
  • 3928 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 06:28 PM

I just think it's weird it seems to mke me tired about an hour after taking it.  I know AD's have paradoxical effects on people, but I don't believe i have ever read anyone saying that Wellbutrin made then sleepy in any way.  I know it is the wellbutrin, and I also have been falling asleep much better at night, more quickly and earlier.  has anyone out there ever experienced sleepiness with wellburtin??? Just curious

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Check out Item 9 under  SNRIs. It's possible that supplementation with tyrosone or DLPA might help...

When I was on it, splitting the 300mg dosing to 150 morning and night worked well. Taking the WB at night eased up the sleepiness, but had the med. dropping out at the 18 hr mark (XL). A third alternative that worked the rest of the time was to add a stimulant along with the morning dose.

Oh. And I definitely noticed the falling asleep faster and sleeping better overall. That was a "side effect" I didn't mind at all!

Proof once again that we are the only adventurers for whom the letters "AD&D" stand for "Attention Deficit Disorder" - Roy Greenhilt, Order of the Stick

Rule your own nation at Cyber Nations, A nation simulation game! Yes, I do waste spend a lot of time on it, especially the Viridian Entente's alliance boards.

#3 CyndyA

CyndyA

• Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 07:00 PM

Wellbutrin makes me sleepy a couple of hours after I take it.  the sleepy spell lasts about an hour, and after that, I feel more alert.  It's good if I can time my dose (I take 150 mg. twice a day) so that the sleepy spell doesn't come at a time I need to be alert.

#4 Guest_Llamanator_*

Guest_Llamanator_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2005 - 07:30 PM

I had a fairly wacky paradoxical reaction with Wellburtin.

I turned into Zombie Mimi. When I was awake. I tend to sleep a lot when depressed, anyway, but I was sleeping 16 hours a day or more when I was on Wellbutrin.

I found out nearly a year later, with Strattera, that l-tyrosine doesn't help me a whole lot...but I'm weird, so it doesn't mean much.

But, yep, people can get sleepy on it. YMMV and all.

Good luck,

Mimi

#5 damnmeds77

damnmeds77

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 04:16 PM

What is tyrosone and the other supplements mentioned.  I already take Provigil, but I have been careful not to overdo the coffee and Provigil for fear of making my anxiety worse, and I have noticed bouts of uncontrolable anxiety feelings.  Well not even anxiety actually, more of a feeling like I am just overwelmed and can't get quite relaxed and I am going to go off on someone. 
Well, hopefully it will get better, otherwise, it hasn't been messing with me much.  Thanx
Med List:
WellbutrinXL 150mgs
Provigil 200 Mgs Daily
Klonopin 3 mgs
Trileptal 300 mgs
Continuous Birth Control-Ortho Novum
Claritin
Asprin or Aleve
As Needed:
Ambien
Xanax
Tenazapam

#6 Guest_Llamanator_*

Guest_Llamanator_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2005 - 05:11 PM

It's actually *l-tyrosine,* an amino acid. L-tyrosine is the amino acid precursor to dopamine, which later gets converted to norepinephrine. These are the two neurotransmitters that Wellbutrin works on. Some people don't make enough to reuptake, and end up getting depleted by the drugs that are supposed to raise them.

L-tyrosine supplementation can potentially reverse this problem, and any side effects caused by it.

Whether it's right for you, I don't know. It's something you'd have to talk to your doctor about.

I'm not familiar with DLPA.

Mimi

Edited by Almighty Llama Mimi, 13 August 2005 - 05:15 PM.

#7 Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis

The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering.

• Admin
  • 12809 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 07:13 PM

While it is by no means a diagnostic criterion, paradoxical reactions to stimulants are common in folks with ADD.  You might find it worthwhile to read up on it a bit to see if it sounds like you.  I've got some resources pinned in the ADD forum if you want to check them out.

De-gnosis: ADD, recurrent depression (or maybe bpII in the guise of such), Asperger's, OCD, social anxiety
Today's Pill Menu: Dexedrine, Wellbutrin (Budeprion), Strattera, Celexa, Risperdal, and clonazepam

Like other moderators and staff of crazyboards.org, I am not a health care professional. You have no way of knowing that I am not talking out my ass. Please do your own homework before making any health related decisions.

Buy me Stuff: Amazon Wishlist

#8 StrungOutOnLife

StrungOutOnLife

• Pip
  • 644 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 10:12 PM

It's actually *l-tyrosine,* an amino acid. L-tyrosine is the amino acid precursor to dopamine, which later gets converted to norepinephrine. These are the two neurotransmitters that Wellbutrin works on. Some people don't make enough to reuptake, and end up getting depleted by the drugs that are supposed to raise them.

L-tyrosine supplementation can potentially reverse this problem, and any side effects caused by it.

Whether it's right for you, I don't know. It's something you'd have to talk to your doctor about.

I'm not familiar with DLPA.

Mimi

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here's the DSM Fine Chemicals page and here is a little more, here is a Google search for everything on the National Center for Biotechnology Information site for all documents containing "D, L-Phenylalanine" and "pubmed" and here are the PubChem Substance Summaries for a few varieties of phenylalanine.

Enjoy.
Just because some of us can read and write and do a little math, doesn't mean we deserve to conquer the Universe.
--Kurt Vonnegut, Hocus Pocus

Anyone who expects you to "snap out of it" is essentially asking you to perform your own brain surgery via telekinesis.
--Me

#9 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2010 - 06:16 PM

Wellbutrin also makes me VERY sleepy. I even tried the 75 mg. and same effect. What dosage of l-tyrosine would you recommend...I'm gonna try using it.

#10 Kodos

Kodos

Knowledge is power.

• Pip
  • 375 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 02:24 AM

I get sleepy about an hour after taking Wellbutrin SR (2X a day). So sleepy I'm worried I'll fall asleep behind the wheel (coffee helps avoid that), or, in the afternoon, fall asleep at my desk. I can even fall asleep while taking to someone else. Now that's pretty drowsy!

If you don't want to try L-tyrosine supplements, it is contained in many high protein food products such as soy products, chicken, turkey, fish, peanuts, almonds, avocados, milk, cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese, lima beans, pumpkin seeds, and sesame seeds. So eat those.

Edited by Kodos, 04 July 2010 - 02:35 AM.

#11 null0trooper

null0trooper

• Pip
  • 3928 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 11:28 PM

I get sleepy about an hour after taking Wellbutrin SR (2X a day). So sleepy I'm worried I'll fall asleep behind the wheel (coffee helps avoid that), or, in the afternoon, fall asleep at my desk. I can even fall asleep while taking to someone else. Now that's pretty drowsy!

When I was on Wellbutrin, my morning routine included double-strength instant espresso mixed with chocolate soy milk, and 10-mg amphetamine - for the very same reasons.

On the MI side of things, it might be productive to arrange for an ADHD evaluation if that hasn't been diagnosed/ruled out already.

Proof once again that we are the only adventurers for whom the letters "AD&D" stand for "Attention Deficit Disorder" - Roy Greenhilt, Order of the Stick

Rule your own nation at Cyber Nations, A nation simulation game! Yes, I do waste spend a lot of time on it, especially the Viridian Entente's alliance boards.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.