• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 justgwyn

justgwyn

3ff3x0r3d!

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 09:00 PM

I've been on Effexor just over four months.  It seems to be causing me to have more vivid dreams in general, but I have these nightmares where it's like I'll wake halfway up but still be stuck in the dream.  I'll still be lying in bed, I'm pretty sure my eyes are open, and it'll seem as though whatever thing was coming after me in my dream has gotten into my apartment.  Last night was floating, partially decayed corpses in lovely Victiorian attire.  I'll hear footsteps, pounding on the walls, knocks at the door, and I'll basically be paralyzed in my bed, unable to get up but still sort of awake (this is hard to describe). 

They SUCK, and the fact that I live alone compounds the scariness.

Anyone else experience these and/or know anything about them?
DX: MDD with psychotic symptoms, OCD, social phobia, PMDD

RX: 150mg effexor xr, modicon (birth control pill) to keep the monthly craziness down

Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to get through this thing called life.

#2 Mark

Mark

UNMENTIONABLE

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 09:51 PM

There is a stage in sleep when you are dreaming that kinda turns off voluntarymuscle movement making you feel paralized. This is to protect you and your bed mates when you are dreaming. (Have you seen sleeping dogs bark & chase in their dreams?) My guess is that you are not fully asleep when you have these nightmares that you remember.

Did you remember your dreams before you started taking Effexor? Most people have nightmares but we do not remember them when we wake. It seems that the Effexor is causing you to be more aware of your dreams.

I would phone your Rxdoc and see if they can adjust your meds to minimize nightmare-land.

Mark

#3 sarahnoid

sarahnoid

Hooray for tatas!

• Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 08:20 AM

Okay, it's nice to know that I'm not the only one who has paralyzing dreams.  It sucks that I'm not for all the other people who are, but it's also just nice to know that my body isn't out to get me.  (Though sometimes, I have my suspicions.)  I've had the paralyzing nightmares for as long as I can remembe.  They're absolutely maddening.

I started Effexor almost a month ago and it never occurred to me that they might be causing the vivid dreams that I've been having lately.  I've always been a pretty intricate dreamer, but remembering them as well as I do now has always been a problem.  It seems every night this week has held another incredibly vivid dream of some sort or other.  My therapist is going to have a FIELD DAY with me on these.

#4 pressmama

pressmama

Favorite. Photo. Ever.

• Pip
  • 292 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 12:56 PM

I was having dreams like these on my own and the right dose of Seroquel has gotten rid of them.  You might look into a small sleeping dose for help.  Before Seroquel the memories of the dreams would disrupt me all day, now I sleep A LOT better!
Current Meds: Lithum, Lamictal, Risperdal, Hydrocodone (compounded), Daypro, Rynatan, Atenolol PRN, Skelaxin PRN, Pepcid AC or Axid PRN
Past Meds (partial list): Depakote, Trileptal, Neurontin, Gabatril, Topamax, Seroquel, Desyrel, Zoloft, Elavil, Ativan, Valium, Oxycontin, Diluadid, Demerol, Percocet, Loratab, Robaxin, Flexeril, Claritin, Tavist, Sudafed, Deconamine, Ultram, Alesse, Celebrex, Ortho Evra
At least the current cocktail doesn't make me as stupid as Neurotin did! How's that for a bright side...;-)
This may go, as I'm not totally comfortable sharing...but in the interest of full disclosure, Dx: BP I, OCD (mostly in remission)

#5 justgwyn

justgwyn

3ff3x0r3d!

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 11:15 PM

I was having dreams like these on my own and the right dose of Seroquel has gotten rid of them. You might look into a small sleeping dose for help. Before Seroquel the memories of the dreams would disrupt me all day, now I sleep A LOT better!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

would i be out of line to ask my doc about seroquel?  sorry if i sound naive-- i'm relatively new to the whole meds thing, and i'm always afraid my doctor will think i'm some sort of drug-seeking junkie/freak.  hell, it took me ages just to get up the nerve to tell my therapist i wanted to try antidepressants.

RX: 150mg effexor xr, modicon (birth control pill) to keep the monthly craziness down

Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to get through this thing called life.

#6 justgwyn

justgwyn

3ff3x0r3d!

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 11:18 PM

Did you remember your dreams before you started taking Effexor? Most people have nightmares but we do not remember them when we wake. It seems that the Effexor is causing you to be more aware of your dreams.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i've remembered my dreams and been nightmare-prone as long as i can remember (i had gory, violent ones even when i was a little girl), but my nightmares have gotten weirder since i've been on the effexor and this is the first time i've had the thing where i'm half-awake.

#7 gwensragingbileduct

gwensragingbileduct

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 01:07 PM

Ah sleep paralysis, the fun of it all! I don't think effexor actually causes it, but it definitely promotes it in those who are already prone. My first memory ever is of a nightmare, and all my life I've had night terrors and sleep paralysis. I was on effexor for four years (NOTE: the clinical trials for effexor were conducted assuming a short term period of medication only. Clinical trials for side effects and discontinuation symtoms for periods longer than a couple of months have not been done. I am in withdrawal hell at the moment.)

Effexor made the nights even worse, so my psychiatrist prescribed sleeping pills, stillnoct and then zimmovane (which are hypnotics and so made the horror movies in my head worse, and continue upon waking for up to 2 minutes). To combat this she prescribed a trycyclic called surmontil (they basically just tranquilise you and make you dopey), and these in turn made the paralysis worse. I came off all my night meds of my own accord (slowly and gradually) and found the resulting insomnia much easier to handle than the nightly freakshows. And after about 6 weeks, it passed and i sleep reasonably well now (I'm also off effexor).

My experience with effexor has taught me that there is FAR more to this drug than any of us are led to believe. DO NOT STAY ON IT LONG TERM. Less is always more when it comes to these drugs.

#8 justgwyn

justgwyn

3ff3x0r3d!

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 10:14 PM

Ah sleep paralysis, the fun of it all!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

SLEEP PARALYSIS!!!  thank you!  ;)

i've been racking my brain trying to remember what it's called.  i knew it was something simple like that.  my best friend gets it, too, and i keep forgetting to ask her what the name is.  she's one of the most level-headed people alive and thus no meds for her, but sleep paralysis does run in her family.  i think she once told me it gets especially bad if she takes anything like NyQuil before bed.

#9 1badbert

1badbert

• Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 05:04 PM

while I was taking Effexor my sleep patterns got completely screwed-up. I was having waking dreams where you are dreaming yet semi awake and unable to move. I would try to scream things like "I'm here, help me!!!"  I could lay my head down for just a few seconds and I would be stuck in a waking dream.

I am off th Effexor and taking Remeron. I sleep like a baby-well actually sleep like a grown up without any problems. I get six solid hours of sleep a night and feel much better.

Peace
Bobby
"This is a professional blood-sport. And it can happen to you. And then it can happen again."

#10 pascal

pascal

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 05:28 AM

I have been on Effexor for four years and have had similar dream experiences. But since I have been taking Seroquel for about 1 year, I sleep all night and wake refreshed. For me it is a very helpful combination.

#11 Guest_karen_*

Guest_karen_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2009 - 08:42 PM

Yes!!

I had never been a person prone to nightmares, not even as a child, but since i've been on effexor i get nightmares, really scary ones, every single night. I seems even the sweetest dreams end up going wrong and turning into nightmares. I've even woken my self up from my own screams, something that had never happened before... They don't disturb me in the morning, i know they are dreams, but while i am dreaming the feelings and everything that happens is very real. What really disturbs me is what the hell is effexor doing to my brain to cause this... There seems to be no real deep understanding of or studies that can explain how the drug works.

ITS THE EFFEXOR... NO DOUBT ABOUT IT. I'm not on any other medication.

But the real nightmare is trying to get off it... Ugggh... Vomit, headaches, uncontrolable crying, uncontrolable rage for no reason... just feeling absolutely miserable. Trying to get off effexor makes hat makes being chased by zombies every night a walk in the park.

#12 Guest_JS_*

Guest_JS_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2009 - 12:18 AM

I've been on Effexor just over four months. It seems to be causing me to have more vivid dreams in general, but I have these nightmares where it's like I'll wake halfway up but still be stuck in the dream. I'll still be lying in bed, I'm pretty sure my eyes are open, and it'll seem as though whatever thing was coming after me in my dream has gotten into my apartment. Last night was floating, partially decayed corpses in lovely Victiorian attire. I'll hear footsteps, pounding on the walls, knocks at the door, and I'll basically be paralyzed in my bed, unable to get up but still sort of awake (this is hard to describe).

#13 Guest_JS_*

Guest_JS_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2009 - 12:19 AM

I've been on Effexor just over four months. It seems to be causing me to have more vivid dreams in general, but I have these nightmares where it's like I'll wake halfway up but still be stuck in the dream. I'll still be lying in bed, I'm pretty sure my eyes are open, and it'll seem as though whatever thing was coming after me in my dream has gotten into my apartment. Last night was floating, partially decayed corpses in lovely Victiorian attire. I'll hear footsteps, pounding on the walls, knocks at the door, and I'll basically be paralyzed in my bed, unable to get up but still sort of awake (this is hard to describe).

#14 Guest_JS_*

Guest_JS_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2009 - 12:31 AM

Thanks so much for describing almost exactly what I have been going through for the last 5 days. I quit Pristiq at that time. I just woke up from the most terrifying one yet. I felt like there were intruders and I tried to get up but was paralyzed. I looked for my alarm clock and it was gone. Very hallucinatory, vivid and terrifying. I could feel my ex wife in the bed trying to comfort me to no avail. I mean she was there, virtually of course. I guess I'll tough it out but what a mother. I think it's fish oil, laimctal and exercise from here out. Going to try tryptophan to see if it dampens this visitation of boils. Again, many thanks for being do explicit. It greatly shortened my search time and much more.

#15 lysergia

lysergia

ripping off the bootstraps

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 3478 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 07:56 AM

me too. took effexor off and on for around 8 years. i do already have intermittent problems with sleep paralysis and related hallucinations. effexor took that to a whole new level. my dreams ruled half of my life. what kind of day i had was determined in the first minute of waking up, because the dreams were so real they stayed with me all day and i couldn't always remember what was real.

off effexor, this only happens now and again. i still am a pretty unusual dreamer/sleeper, i think. but my life isn't the living hell that whole side effect created. now that i've some distance from it, oh man. i can't believe i didn't insist on getting rid of that drug.

however - this doesn't say stop taking ssris or mris. effexor was the only one that's ever done this, and i've tried probably half a dozen. no other medication has done this, before or since. your reaction to effexor doesn't at all reflect how you might respond to a similar antidepressant. i'm not just saying that because i should, i'm saying it because i experienced it. don't give up on the meds. find another doctor if you have to, one that's willing to try something different rather than piling on the sleep/antipsychotic/anti-anxiety meds (that's what happened here, too).

just don't give up! don't let that evil drug scare you off.
(okay i know it isn't evil for everyone - but when it isn't good, it's BAD to an unreasonable degree).

current dx:

BPII, DDNOS, major anxiety issues, PTSD issues (now subclinical), ED issues (recovered anorexic), auditory/visual/tactile hallucinations

current rx:

bupropion XL 300 mg, clonazepam 3 mg, zopiclone 7.5 mg, synthroid 0.15 mg (supplements: D3, B12, Omega 3)

download.jpg

#16 Guest_effexordreams_*

Guest_effexordreams_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:53 AM

Yes!!

I had never been a person prone to nightmares, not even as a child, but since i've been on effexor i get nightmares, really scary ones, every single night. I seems even the sweetest dreams end up going wrong and turning into nightmares. I've even woken my self up from my own screams, something that had never happened before... They don't disturb me in the morning, i know they are dreams, but while i am dreaming the feelings and everything that happens is very real. What really disturbs me is what the hell is effexor doing to my brain to cause this... There seems to be no real deep understanding of or studies that can explain how the drug works.

ITS THE EFFEXOR... NO DOUBT ABOUT IT. I'm not on any other medication.

But the real nightmare is trying to get off it... Ugggh... Vomit, headaches, uncontrolable crying, uncontrolable rage for no reason... just feeling absolutely miserable. Trying to get off effexor makes hat makes being chased by zombies every night a walk in the park.

I guess I try to think positively about the situation. i have tried 2 other medications, and as i am newly engaged, the sexual side effects, and no-sleep side effects were not okay with me. But now that i am on effexor. my anxiety problems are gone, constant stomach aches for 10 years. getting uncontrollable IBS when going out, even though i am a social person and you would never guess it.

I guess i would rather have nightmares and oversweating at night time (when i am sleeping) than feel the way i did for so long.
I also read that Having nightmares RELEASES the anxieties that you would normally have on a daily bases, and you NEED to release them, they just don't dissapear once you are on medication.

To me, if its true or not. I RATHER BELIEVE that this is true. that would be awesome if all i had to do was sleep to get rid of my anxieties. i wake up, go on the computer to distract myself and forget the nightmares i have had. Sweating.... i feel. who cares. so what if you sweat. i know friends who sweat just from eatting without being on medication. it doesnt bother me, sweat doesnt hurt anyone.

And yes my nightmares, are bloody gorry, i have had nightmares all throughout my life. but these are vivid, and i have never acutally finished my nightmares until being on effexor, such as seeing family members get shot, getting chased for hours it seems at times. But honestlly. if these are the things that cause my anxiety in the first place, and now i DO NOT get anxious anymore during my regular life. THANK GOD for effexor. I rather have nightmares and sweats anyday, than live being socially anxious. for NO reason.

Good luck everyone. please think possitively. my brother is a MD. and he said to me. Well is the medication working? I said yes, and he said to write out the pros and cons. Most people feel so good after the medication, they only concintrate on the problems (side effects) when they forget, how great the medication is working for them in the first place. I was like, wow. he is right! i forget how much it is helping me... maybe thats why i have anxiety in the first place, im always thinking of the negatives in life, instead of looking at all the positive wonderful things that life has to offer.

I love living life now, i do everything i used to, without stomach aches, or running home to the bathroom, or planning an escape. Effexor has been one of the best things that has ever happened to me.

#17 Guest_Shirley_*

Guest_Shirley_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2010 - 12:10 PM

I've been on Effexor just over four months.  It seems to be causing me to have more vivid dreams in general, but I have these nightmares where it's like I'll wake halfway up but still be stuck in the dream.  I'll still be lying in bed, I'm pretty sure my eyes are open, and it'll seem as though whatever thing was coming after me in my dream has gotten into my apartment.  Last night was floating, partially decayed corpses in lovely Victiorian attire.  I'll hear footsteps, pounding on the walls, knocks at the door, and I'll basically be paralyzed in my bed, unable to get up but still sort of awake (this is hard to describe). 

#18 Guest_jazz_*

Guest_jazz_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:28 AM

#19 Guest_holly_*

Guest_holly_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2010 - 03:24 PM

This is exactly what happens to me as well. I will awake, sort of and see things floating on the ceiling, spider like creatures. I also have very vivid and violent nightmares,I get so scared, it takes me a while to realize that it was not real,and I live alone as well. I also constantly dream about the people I went to high school with, I graduated almost twenty years ago. I would advise lowering the dose.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.