• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 The Emperor

The Emperor

Is there a hole for me to get sick in?

• Pip
  • 3713 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 09:57 AM

Yeah yeah, people with anxiety should avoid caffiene so on and so forth. . .

Anyway, p-doc bumped me up to .5mg of klonopin three times a day and I haven't tried it yet, but sometimes just two doses makes me pretty tired.

I usually have one cup in the morning before I take any klonopin, but now I'm afraid I'll need more to stay awake and function.

How many of you drink coffee with your benzos? How much, and does it make the pills less effective for you? Just curious.

All right, that's my last question for the day.

Thanks.

What the docs wrote down about my Crazy: Bipolar II, Some anxiety issue
The pills they give me to fix this shit: Lamictal 175mg, clonazepam 1mg , Trileptal 600mg
Pills that did NOT fix this shit: Sertraline, Buspirone, Mirtazipine, Paroxetine, Gabapentin, Effexor XR, Lorazepam, Cymbalta(twice), Zolpidem, Bupropion XL, Pristiq, Fluoxetine, Vistaril, Lexapro, Celexa, Trazodone, Geodon

Pills that worked well enough but side effects were total shit so I stopped: Abilify, Lithium, valium

sun moon stars rain

#2 beetle

beetle

• Pip
  • 804 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 10:13 AM

I drink one or two cups of coffee every morning. Hard to say what it does for my anxiety. I don't think it has any effect. I don't think it makes the pills less effective. But I've been doing this long enough now that it's hard for me to tell.
If I remember correctly, were you just taking the klono as needed? If so and you are now taking it everyday, the drowsiness may go away. It seems like it has for me.
Dx:
"My working Dx is Bipolar. Yes, there seems to be some HFA traits." ~my pdoc
Possibly BP II ~a Psy.D

Rx:
AM Wellbutrin XL 300mg, Ritalin LA 30mg, Klonopin .5mg,
PM Geodon 160mg, Klonopin 1mg

Dx past: BP NOS w/ schizoid tendencies, Double depression, MDD or something
Rx past: Lithium+prozac, tegretol+paxil, effexor+wellbutrin, lexapro, cymbalta, provigil,
zoloft+ strattera, abilify (twice)+wellbutrin, lamictal+wellbutrin, risperdal, trileptal and a dash of xanax and klonopin

#3 kdbee

kdbee

my friends love my "quirks"!

• Pip
  • 364 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 01:35 PM

I take at least 2mg of klonopin a day (and 4mg prob 3x a week). Coffee...I probably drink 2 strong cups a day. I'm sure it interferes with the klonopin.
It ain't easy. About a month ago I cut my caffine intake in half and have stuck to it. I tried to cut it out completely but simply can't. No energy.

You should keep a daily log. Each day write down how you're feeling on the klonopin alone and on the days when you drink coffee. The answer might lye right there in your penmanship! ;)
Alright. Here you go--

DX/Issues: BP2 (mixed+rapid cycling), OCD, ADD, EDNOS, anorexia nervosa (recovered), BDD, some sort of avoidant shit, really bad & constant paranoia about everything, domestic abuse survivor

Drugs: Lexapro 10, Wellbutrin 450, Abilify 15, Klonopin 2 (max 6mg/day), Adderall 20-30

Past R/X's: Lithium (tried twice), Lamictal (complete hell), Depakote, Abilify (tried twice. second time worked amazingly. AMAZINGLY! Unfortunately, I simply cannot afford it...), Luvox (tried twice), Prozac, Paxil, Effexor, Geodon, Dexedrine (did nothing), Ativan (really good for social phobia), Restoril, Wellbutrin (working amazingly this time around)

Other EEG Biofeedback (worked miracles for my OCD. My compulsions are infrequent and when they happen are manageable the vast majority of the time. Obsessions still happen, not as bad and are manageable), acupuncture- I did this for about a year and a half. While it helped greatly with some problems (my screwed up digestive system, poor immune system, constant lethargy) it did nothing to improve any aspect of my mental health. That said, I definitely think it's worth giving a try :)

#4 scatty

scatty

The only way out is through.

• Pip
  • 3955 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 01:49 PM

I love me coffee! I take 1 mg klonopin in the morning and haven't noticed anything, positive or negative.

Dx:
Bipolar I & Anxiety.  Self diagnosed cunt.

My New (old) Meds: (previously these kept me the most stable)
Lithium ER 1350 mgs.
Lamictal 200 mgs.

Klonopin 2 mgs.

Practicing CBT, DBT, and ACT self-help therapy.

Crazy since the 80's!

#5 The Emperor

The Emperor

• Pip
  • 3713 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 03:36 PM

I was taking the klono as needed for a few months, then I was taking .5mg every day, then p-doc switched me to 1mg ativan twice a day, and then to klono twice a day and now up to .5mg klonopin 3 times a day. So I've been taking SOMETHING ona daily basis for a few months now. I've was only taking it twice a day for about two weeks and now I'm up to three times a day.

I only drink one cup in the morning now, and I NEED at least that, but if this shit makes me too tired, I might add another cup. I'm sure it varies from person to person, I just wanted to know if anyone had any problems with effectiveness of their pills because "people with anxiety shouldn't drink coffee" and all that. I figured that it might make something that works for anxiety less effective if that were the case.

I love my coffee too.

The pills they give me to fix this shit: Lamictal 175mg, clonazepam 1mg , Trileptal 600mg
Pills that did NOT fix this shit: Sertraline, Buspirone, Mirtazipine, Paroxetine, Gabapentin, Effexor XR, Lorazepam, Cymbalta(twice), Zolpidem, Bupropion XL, Pristiq, Fluoxetine, Vistaril, Lexapro, Celexa, Trazodone, Geodon

Pills that worked well enough but side effects were total shit so I stopped: Abilify, Lithium, valium

sun moon stars rain

#6 Mayteana

Mayteana

Normal is just a setting on the washing machine.

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 1397 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 03:58 PM

Coffee doesn't make much difference to me when I take klonopin or ativan.

~ May

When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? Perhaps to be too practical is madness. To surrender dreams - this may be madness. To seek treasure where there is only trash. Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.

-Don Quioxite, The Man of La Mancha

#7 beetle

beetle

• Pip
  • 804 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 04:20 PM

I was taking the klono as needed for a few months, then I was taking .5mg every day, then p-doc switched me to 1mg ativan twice a day, and then to klono twice a day and now up to .5mg klonopin 3 times a day. So I've been taking SOMETHING ona daily basis for a few months now. I've was only taking it twice a day for about two weeks and now I'm up to three times a day.

I only drink one cup in the morning now, and I NEED at least that, but if this shit makes me too tired, I might add another cup. I'm sure it varies from person to person, I just wanted to know if anyone had any problems with effectiveness of their pills because "people with anxiety shouldn't drink coffee" and all that. I figured that it might make something that works for anxiety less effective if that were the case.

I love my coffee too.

Sounds like you might be stuck with the drowsiness then. But maybe your body will get used to it. I wanted to tell you before that at first my current pdoc put me on ativan and I couldn't stand that stuff. It had like a harsh feeling is the best way I can describe it. I asked her for klono instead cause it just feels smoother. I guess maybe it's effects last longer?
Dx:
"My working Dx is Bipolar. Yes, there seems to be some HFA traits." ~my pdoc
Possibly BP II ~a Psy.D

Rx:
AM Wellbutrin XL 300mg, Ritalin LA 30mg, Klonopin .5mg,
PM Geodon 160mg, Klonopin 1mg

Dx past: BP NOS w/ schizoid tendencies, Double depression, MDD or something
Rx past: Lithium+prozac, tegretol+paxil, effexor+wellbutrin, lexapro, cymbalta, provigil,
zoloft+ strattera, abilify (twice)+wellbutrin, lamictal+wellbutrin, risperdal, trileptal and a dash of xanax and klonopin

#8 kdbee

kdbee

my friends love my "quirks"!

• Pip
  • 364 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 07:33 PM

The emperor... I just sent you a PM. Check it out.
Alright. Here you go--

DX/Issues: BP2 (mixed+rapid cycling), OCD, ADD, EDNOS, anorexia nervosa (recovered), BDD, some sort of avoidant shit, really bad & constant paranoia about everything, domestic abuse survivor

Drugs: Lexapro 10, Wellbutrin 450, Abilify 15, Klonopin 2 (max 6mg/day), Adderall 20-30

Past R/X's: Lithium (tried twice), Lamictal (complete hell), Depakote, Abilify (tried twice. second time worked amazingly. AMAZINGLY! Unfortunately, I simply cannot afford it...), Luvox (tried twice), Prozac, Paxil, Effexor, Geodon, Dexedrine (did nothing), Ativan (really good for social phobia), Restoril, Wellbutrin (working amazingly this time around)

Other EEG Biofeedback (worked miracles for my OCD. My compulsions are infrequent and when they happen are manageable the vast majority of the time. Obsessions still happen, not as bad and are manageable), acupuncture- I did this for about a year and a half. While it helped greatly with some problems (my screwed up digestive system, poor immune system, constant lethargy) it did nothing to improve any aspect of my mental health. That said, I definitely think it's worth giving a try :)

#9 pinkiemarie

pinkiemarie

Master Ruminant

• Pip
  • 330 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 07:44 PM

I'm taking the pills as needed, and because of some previous bordering on addiction issues with xanax I try to be careful about taking it (probably overly cautious because I have so much stress at work...). That said, I find that I require klonopin more often if I've drank coffee than if I haven't. I would imagine that means that the coffee is also making the anxiety harder to treat.

Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead.” - Charles Bukowski

DX: Bipolar II with psychotic tendencies, multiple anxiety disorders, PMDD.

Meds: Lithium 1200mg, Klonopin .5 mg PRN, progestin only birth control pills.

#10 The Emperor

The Emperor

• Pip
  • 3713 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 03:26 AM

I think I am almost coming to the conclusion that the PERFECT RX for me is .5mg klono, 3x a day and a few cups of strong coffee. You see, I get the whole anxiety relief benefit, and then I get the happy, energetic boost from the coffee and I feel great and NO ANXIETY. But I don't think I can get p-doc to agree to that. Sometimes the coffee and klono works well, other times, not so much. I love coffee, I love klonopin(not too much, mind you, only with the intensity a mother loves a child.)

Anyway, I'm doing okay doing what I'm doing and feel all right so far. Couple cups in the morning, one in the evenig if I need it. I dn't feel sedated or anxious. Perfect for me sometimes. On a really bad day, I'd stay away from the coffee (except that first cup, I NEED that like air)

sun moon stars rain

#11 seraphina

seraphina

too much noise

• Pip
  • 394 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 08:56 AM

I always take my ativan with either coffee or soda. I don't really notice a difference, I mean I get that heightened feeling anyhow so I really don't notice a difference.
Dx: Bipolar I (rapid cycling), PTSD, OCD, GAD & loads of sensory issues
Off meds currently due to the craptastic American "healthcare" system
Rx: Lithium 1200mg, Lamictal 200mg, Seroquel 600mg, Trazodone 100mg, synthroid 50mcg
Other: recovering (currently) alcoholic

#12 The Emperor

The Emperor

• Pip
  • 3713 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 12:35 PM

I always take my ativan with either coffee or soda. I don't really notice a difference, I mean I get that heightened feeling anyhow so I really don't notice a difference.

Sometimes, for me, it's the perfect combo, and other times, it actually DOES seem to interfere with the help from the klono, but not to the point where I'm sweating on the floor in a panicky heap. So, I don't know what to think of this. I'm NEVER giving up that one cup in the morning though, it makes me sigh with relief. . .

sun moon stars rain

#13 gizmo

gizmo

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it.

• Pip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 11:40 PM

I take my xanax with water, caffeine-free soda, or regular soda. I notice no difference in effectiveness between any of the delievery methods. I've been taking benzos for five years now.
Diagnosis: BP I with Psychotic Features, GAD, ADHD, Chronic Migraines, various physical stuff.
Meds Currently On: Depakote 2000 mg, Risperdal 8 mg, Latuda 80 mg, Prozac 60 mg, Vyvanse 70 mg, Propranolol 40 mg BID, Klonopin 2 mg BID PRN
Meds Sort-Of Mental Related: Lipitor 40 mg, Zofran 4 mg PRN, Fioricet PRN, Stadol PRN, Botox received on 8/16/13

I post on an iPhone, so please forgive grammatical errors or strange word inclusions. It's the auto correct!

#14 The Emperor

The Emperor

• Pip
  • 3713 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 12:26 AM

Maybe it's just my imagination, OR, oh my god, here's a thought that's just recently occured to me, MAYBE my klonopin isn't a magic pill that's going to cure everything. Maybe, unlinkethe previous thoughts I've had on the topic, I need ANOTHER PILL to help me.

Sorry, that was off topic, I'm having a bad time lately.

sun moon stars rain

#15 briefcrossing

briefcrossing

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 09:09 PM

I find coffee helps me with my mood. It makes me feel upbeat and happy.
diagnosis: OCD, schizotypal personality disorder
meds: escitalopram 20mg, risperidone 2mg, benztropine 2mg

#16 The Emperor

The Emperor

• Pip
  • 3713 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 10:40 PM

I find coffee helps me with my mood. It makes me feel upbeat and happy.

I feel like that too. I like that it can do that, and, while I'm on the klonopin, about 75% of the time(depending on how much coffee Ive had) I don't get the anxious thing, I just feel normal and happy and not freaking out at all. It's nice.

sun moon stars rain

#17 colin

colin

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 07:50 PM

Maybe it's just my imagination, OR, oh my god, here's a thought that's just recently occured to me, MAYBE my klonopin isn't a magic pill that's going to cure everything. Maybe, unlinkethe previous thoughts I've had on the topic, I need ANOTHER PILL to help me.

Sorry, that was off topic, I'm having a bad time lately.

Coffee seems to negate the ativan I take prn to some extent-but I love coffee in the morning, but if i have a stress event I avoid it and just take the ativan

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.