- - - - -

Lamictal and Ecstasy

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Joe_*

Guest_Joe_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2009 - 08:58 PM

Hi I've never posted here before. I just got my starter pack of Lamictal and googled "lamictal and alcohol" and found a thread on this board about it. I'm sure there are fewer people that have insight on this, but I would love to hear anything on this topic. Thanks

#2 Jaxz16

Jaxz16

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 11:28 PM

Hi I've never posted here before. I just got my starter pack of Lamictal and googled "lamictal and alcohol" and found a thread on this board about it. I'm sure there are fewer people that have insight on this, but I would love to hear anything on this topic. Thanks

Any drug that interacts with dopamine, serotonin, or norepinephrine should be out of the system before taking Ecstasy. These types of medications can take weeks to get out of the system. Ecstasy works by getting your neurons to release serotonin and if you're already taking a medication such as an MAOI or SSRI you should stay away from ecstasy. MAOIs have been shown to increase the chance of Serotonin Syndrome (which can be fatal) while on ecstasy , and it's possible that SSRIs have the same affect to a lesser extent. I know you're probably thinking well... Lamictal isn't categorized as an MAOI or SSRI, but Lamictal is an anticonvulsent that has a chemical make up which classifies it differently than other anticonvulsants. It's used as a mood stabilizer to combat unipolar depression and also bipolar depression. The exact way lamictal works and interacts with serotonin is unknown. Is it a risk? Mixing any perscription drugs with something as simple as a daily vitamin could end up disastorous. I don't think it's a great idea to mix ectasy with any mood altering drugs, but I'm not a doctor so take that with a grain of salt.

Edited by Jaxz16, 15 October 2009 - 11:33 PM.

Dx: Bipolar I with psychotic features

Current RXs: Lamictal 150 mg, Seroquel 400mg, and Lithium 600mg and counting, Zyprexa PRN

Past Rxs: Buspar, Xanax, Atavan, Paxil, Prozac, Ambien, Trazadone, Restoril
, cymbalta...
------------
"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on."
- Robert Frost

#3 Guest_Joe_*

Guest_Joe_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2009 - 03:13 AM

well thanks a lot. scary stuff. i take ecstasy about once ever 2 months at concerts, its pretty much what i live for, so i probably wont be giving it up. now im thinking maybe i cant take this medication. are there any drugs for bipolar 2 that should be okay with xtc?

#4 AirMarshall

AirMarshall

Jumping the CB Shark

• Pip
  • 6686 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 03:56 AM

Gee Joe, I'm not really inclined to help you figure out how to do street drugs.

Your brain is already fucked up. Throwing street drugs of unknown quality, that have major potential for further screwing up your brain, not to mention the potential for death is not particularly smart.

If you want to go to our substance abuse forum and talk about how to quit, great. There are other websites (Erowid) that are oriented towards the recreationist.

Most people find it tough trying to keep life rolling with MI without doing drugs. I hope that you will come to understand that. Meanwhile, I further hope that you are being honest with your doctors about your ecstasy use.

a.m.

**My work is done.  Swimming for the nearest shore.**

#5 scatty

scatty

The only way out is through.

• Pip
  • 3955 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 01:51 PM

Joe, doing the drug that often is doing real damage to your brain. Save it for New Years Eve or something once a year. Any more than that and your memory will be fucked. It also causes rebound depression, the more you do it. Heed our warnings.

Dx:
Bipolar I & Anxiety.  Self diagnosed cunt.

My New (old) Meds: (previously these kept me the most stable)
Lithium ER 1350 mgs.
Lamictal 200 mgs.

Klonopin 2 mgs.

Practicing CBT, DBT, and ACT self-help therapy.

Crazy since the 80's!

#6 Guest_Joe_*

Guest_Joe_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2009 - 03:49 PM

i used to do other drugs and have quit all of them. this is the one thing i do, besides an occasional beer. i would be willing to bring it down to 2-4 times a year from 6 if these meds are really gona help me so much, but even if i did that, would i still be able to make this work? what, i have to go off the meds for 2 weeks before theyre out of my system or would a week bring it down to an insignificant level?

#7 Guest_Joe_*

Guest_Joe_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2009 - 03:51 PM

PS i know a lot of you probably dont agree with XTC (partly to do with government propaganda)so i really appreciate any help your still giving me.

#8 Jaxz16

Jaxz16

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 05:00 PM

No dear Joe it's not the government's propaganda that has many of us shying away form the idea of mixing our psychoactive drugs and ecstasy, it's our brains. If you have a serious mental disorder that has you medicated for a specific reason you shouldn't disregard the advice of a medical professional. You're thinking of not taking a mood stabilizing medication so you can get your freak on for a night or two every month. Most of us are pretty knowledgeable about the limitations that come with being on these kinds of medications, and we don't mess with interactions because it's a stupid thing to do. A lot of us have gone through a lot of trouble to get medications in order and doing ecstasy could change the effects of those medications. It's not worth it, and if you're serious about trying to get better from whatever disorder they prescribed Lamictal for you shouldn't be doing ecstasy.

Edited by Jaxz16, 16 October 2009 - 05:01 PM.

Dx: Bipolar I with psychotic features

Current RXs: Lamictal 150 mg, Seroquel 400mg, and Lithium 600mg and counting, Zyprexa PRN

Past Rxs: Buspar, Xanax, Atavan, Paxil, Prozac, Ambien, Trazadone, Restoril
, cymbalta...
------------
"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on."
- Robert Frost

#9 Guest_Joe_*

Guest_Joe_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2009 - 09:34 PM

No dear Joe it's not the government's propaganda that has many of us shying away form the idea of mixing our psychoactive drugs and ecstasy, it's our brains..

i was referring to ecstasy in general. i'm not saying its okay to mix them with these psychoactive drugs, thats why i came here.

#10 Guest_Joe_*

Guest_Joe_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2009 - 09:41 PM

If you're unwilling to stop using ecstasy for the sake of your long-term mental health, you really need to re-evaluate your lifestyle. You probably also need to talk to an addictions counselor.

I do it a handful of times a year. I'm not addicted, I have went years without doing it. Although it is one of the best things in my life, I would have no problem going a while to give this medication a chance. I am going to something really fun for halloween and plan on starting the meds after that. Then probably wont touch e till for a long time. I guess at this point i just want to know how long i have to stop in advance, minimum, before i roll again.

#11 pinkiemarie

pinkiemarie

Master Ruminant

• Pip
  • 330 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 11:47 AM

Joe,

I'm hearing a lot of excuses from you. "I have went years without doing it." Everything you're saying is that you don't have a problem, but the message behind your words is screaming that you do. What brought you to the doctor in the first place? What caused the doctor to prescribe you lamictal? Government propaganda has nothing to do with this discussion. I know from personal experience that alcohol has a seriously negative effect with medications intended for mental illness, and I strongly suspect that ecstasy does too. We're not going to tell you how long to stop taking it before you get high again. Lamictal is DANGEROUS if you take it improperly. Stopping and starting lamictal is DANGEROUS. If you want to know how long you need to stop taking this before you roll again, call and ask your doctor.

Pinkie.

Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead.” - Charles Bukowski

DX: Bipolar II with psychotic tendencies, multiple anxiety disorders, PMDD.

Meds: Lithium 1200mg, Klonopin .5 mg PRN, progestin only birth control pills.

#12 Malachi

Malachi

• Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 07:55 PM

I have to agree with pretty much everyone else who posted in this thread. I'd also like to draw attention to something Pinkie mentioned: if you stop your lamictal for a few weeks to take your ecstasy, when you go back on it you'll have to start at a sub-therapeutic dose and titrate back up. Stopping suddenly and then going back on at the full dose can cause potentially fatal side effects. You really need to decide if this is worth it. In any case, is it really worth it to risk messing your brain up? MI is enough of a problem without adding recreational drugs into the mix.
DX: Schizoaffective Disorder (Bipolar Subtype)

RX: 1200mg Lithium, 40mg Zyprexa, 100mg Zoloft, 400mg Tegretol, 4mg Haldol, 40mg Latuda

What didn't work: Prozac, Abilify, Lamictal, Seroquel, Buspar, Klonopin, Celexa, Xanax, Cymbalta, Ativan, Welbutrin

#13 nalgas

nalgas

Please go stand by the stairs so I can protect you.

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 2121 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 11:04 PM

Stopping suddenly and then going back on at the full dose can cause potentially fatal side effects.

This part is important. Just the "stopping suddenly" part is a really bad idea, with Lamictal or any other anticonvulsant. If you don't gradually taper your dose down over a few weeks, you put yourself at risk for seizures, even if you've never had them before. On top of that, with Lamictal specifically, starting/restarting it at a high dose abruptly instead of gradually raising it substantially increases the chances of getting many of the side effects, both the ones that are merely annoying and the ones that are potentially life-threatening. It's a great med when used properly for the people it works for, but stopping and starting it repeatedly either puts you at risk for a bunch of Very Bad Things if you do it quickly or basically leaves you untreated for a few months at a time if you do it slowly like you're supposed to, and neither of those are particularly good options.

#14 Guest_Downthehatch_*

Guest_Downthehatch_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:33 PM

I perked right up when I saw "Ecstasy". Those were the good old days. Live today, cause tomorrow may never come & it looks like your party days are going down the toilet!

#15 Guest_Sasha_*

Guest_Sasha_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2010 - 10:44 AM

Lamictal (lamotrigine) is NOT and SSRI nor MAOI.
Pure MDMA used responsibly in the "Less is more" fashion, can have great results therapeutically. NO ONE should be taking MDMA on a regular basis but if done responsibly and at lower doses, fewer times, then it is safe and VERY effective in helping whatever problems one may have with anxiety, PTSD, etc.
MDMA at low dosages (50-75) has been actually proven safe in psychotherapy in recent times.
Although Lamictal is used effectively for patients with Bi-polar disorder, there is no significant interaction with the MDMA.
Btw, if you're doing ecstacy tabs bought on the street, you are out of your mind. The amount of "pollution" in these pills is unfathomable. I'm sure you may think you're drug dealer is a nice guy but not even he or she has any idea what is in it without a) testing it or b) making it himself. All of the upper and downers including with the smallest amount of MDMA is a completely asinine idea.
Get a testing kit and be smart and procure pure MDMA.
Here's a few sites with a wealth of information, but being someone on lamictal and has researched Phenethylamines(PEA) and Tryptamines for Bi Polar and other anxiety disorders for over 10 years, i think MDMA has an INCREDIBLE amount of benefits for medicine.
I don't know what other medicines you are on and i am certainly not your doctor but please know what you're taking before you ingest and ALWAYS start very small.
Most drug interactions are completely irresponsible ie. alcohol, roxicet, or any other recreational drug that you are thinking of throwing in the mix.
Be careful with any psychoactive chemical and any medicine for bi polar disorder but if you feel that you are strong enough along then low dose MDMA should NOT hurt with the Lamictal being, AGAIN, NOT and MAOI or SSRI, thus cuasing no risk for serotonin syndrome.
Be safe and remember "LESS IS MORE" so think small doses on VERY RARE occasions.
Be smart.
Know your drugs and know yourself.

LAMICTAL
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamictal

MDMA
http://www.maps.org/mdma/
http://www.maps.org/.../LewisPaper.doc
http://en.wikipedia....f_.22ecstasy.22

PHENETHYLAMINES
http://en.wikipedia..../Phenethylamine

#16 null0trooper

null0trooper

• Pip
  • 3928 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 04:00 PM

Lamictal (lamotrigine) is NOT and SSRI nor MAOI.

No one actually said it is. Perhaps, if you're going to resurrect a long-dead topic on a board you don't frequent, you should try reading the topic before promoting your favorite drugs.

Proof once again that we are the only adventurers for whom the letters "AD&D" stand for "Attention Deficit Disorder" - Roy Greenhilt, Order of the Stick

Rule your own nation at Cyber Nations, A nation simulation game! Yes, I do waste spend a lot of time on it, especially the Viridian Entente's alliance boards.

#17 Guest_Sasha_*

Guest_Sasha_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:35 AM

Oh, i'm sorry. I had no idea providing some information about a question someone asked a while ago, to help someone else make a choice on if they should or should not try something, was an issue.
I do not promote drug use in any form and particularly abuse.
So my fault for trying to provide some information so when people search the topic, they might have a better source of material to view and make a decision on your own.
Everyone should know what they're putting into themselves so i don't see the point in nitpicking someone trying to provide info instead of adding something else to it.
I work with people in drug counseling and NA and other programs like that to prevent drug abuse and also help people become more aware of the information they can have access to in order to get the facts and not some here say theory that some friend gave them.
People do drugs and people abuse drugs. Some for medicine, other to harm themselves.I'd rather people try and educate themselves than make a reckless decision.
Instead of accusing someone of promoting a drug, maybe you should read over the post again.
If you have something to add or correct me on then do so but what's the point of accusations and nitpicking if it really doesn't help anyone else out?
Isn't that why the people who comment on these questions answer to them?

#18 Guest_Dana_*

Guest_Dana_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:02 PM

Joe, I'm on Lamictal and I've done E. It's a gamble and I wouldn't suggest doing it so often. DON'T stop taking your lamictal and start again. MY.GOD. It's awful, withdrawal for me involves a ferocious migraine, unmanageable emotions and nausea. You basically get all dizzied up and lose yourself in indistinguishable negativity. Also, stopping and starting Lamictal can cause a serious and sometimes fatal rash. If you want to do E anyway, I would say stay on your medicine, and good luck. It's not safe, but, IMHO, it's less safe to get off of Lamictal cold turkey,

#19 crtclms

crtclms

Queen of Ergots

• Inmate
  • 9119 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 04:17 PM

Oh, i'm sorry. I had no idea providing some information about a question someone asked a while ago, to help someone else make a choice on if they should or should not try something, was an issue.

Well, obviously, you are not sorry, or you wouldn't get pissed when you realize your information is redundant, and act like such an ass. Repeating the exact same information over and over doesn't actually "help someone else make a choice." And, it actually can make them tune the information out.

Your answer did not address the OP's question anyway. He didn't ask about therapeutic use of MDMA. Or didn't you notice that part? Or were you just trying to show off your "cutting edge" knowledge?

Did what you say try to convince him to stop mixing a dangerous combination of meds? Or did you *not* just explicitly push MDMA's therapeutic benefits? Ungrammatically, no less.

I am hardly the type of person who condemns someone for using street drugs. I am one of those pinko-commie freaks that believes in harm-reduction, and thinks everything should be de-criminalized, at least, if not actually legalized.

That way, people wouldn't be reduced to begging strangers on forums to please explain XTC and lamictal interactions, whatever the alleged "credentials" the "guest posters" claim to hold.

ETA: Wait, did I resurrect a resurrection? I swear this was right at the top of my list of unread posts! Sorry.

Edited by crtclms, 10 August 2010 - 04:18 PM.

Dx: Bipolar 1; GAD; Migraine w/ Aura; Migraine w/o Aura; Renal Tubular Acidosis (caused by Zonegran); Status Migrainosus
Rx: Alprazolam; Botox; Buproprion; Dihydroergotomine via IV Infusion; Flexeril; Lamotrigine; Latuda; Lithium; Metoclopramide; Midrin; Migranal; Potassium Citrate; Prilosec; Promethazine; Riboflavin; Tizanidine; Verapamil; Vitamin D3
Currently Shelved: Abilify; Amerge; Anaprox; Atenolol; Buspar; Cafergot; Cymbalta; Depakote; Di-Hydro-ergotamine, injected; Gabapentin; Geodon; Imitrex Tablets; Klonopin; Maxalt; Namenda; Nortriptyline; Norvasc; Propranolol; Prozac; Risperidone; Relpax; Sansert; Sumatriptan injectables; Tegretol; Trazadone; Zoloft; Zolpidem; Zomig; Zonegran

Affectations can be dangerous. -Gertrude Stein

I moderate Bipolar, Panic/Anxiety, Dissociative Disorders, Migraine, Seizures, Not Otherwise Specified, Anticonvulsants, Side Effects, Family Feud, and I Still Have Issues. Remember, I am not a medical professional. PM me if you have any questions

#20 Guest_Rick Stomps_*

Guest_Rick Stomps_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2010 - 03:23 PM

***Joe, the following post is the only reply in this entire thread that you even need to bother reading and I wholeheartedly hope you still bother to return to your threat to read this.***

I must say, this is easily the most exacerbated forum I'm ever had the misfortune to stumble upon (no, not the Google Chrome extension: StumbleUpon [I thought that was funny]), in regards to Q's & A's. Oh and, YES, I am lumping in the rest of the forum as well, judging by the idiocy of replies from these top-posters.

I've rolled many times, I've done countless drugs. I came across this thread whilst doing some research on Google about certain bipolar medications and MDMA (as I have been on Wellbutrin 300mg XL for years, on and off many stupid SSRIs [never worked], and have just been prescribed Adderall). I've been experiencing more extreme bipolar-like symptoms than before (because Wellbutrin cured my depression and Adderall cured my ADHD, so now I have more time to focus on another psychotic problem [funny how the brain works, eh chum?]) now and its just starting to bug me, much like yourself, Joe.

All-righty then, Joe, here's some REAL information, ignore the rest of what these psychotics are saying. You seem to just have a minor case of bi-polar disorder, it really doesn't seem to harm your lifestyle that much at all. You're just possibly a tad bothered by it and wish to maybe experiment with a mood-stabilizer to improve your mood.

This is most certainly extremely common and I advise you to not take what these people have to say here, if you read their signatures you would see all of the pharmaceuticals they have tried to get their minds straight. What none of them will ever come to realize is that going on and off of SSRIs, NDRIs, MAOIs, DRIs, NRIs, tetracyclics, et cetera, is EXTREMELY taxing on your brain. With this being said, insulting someone for wanting to use a (mind you, very common) street drug every now and then is the epitome of hypocracy, in my humble opinion. Yes, its terrible to have mental problems and people are FORCED to go on these medications, and I feel pure joy for anyone who finds the right combination of medications.

Unfortunately, almost all of the posters that have replied to this thread seem to have severe mental problems, don't let their cautious lifestyle of neurology lump you into their circle. Your brain isn't messed up, you're just growing up. It would normally sicken me to see such individuals, the ones I am speaking of above, supply someone with such false information (well rather, exaggerated would be a better word) just because of personal problems.

But I digress, back to what you really asked in the first place. I personally have a friend who is on Lamotrigine (Lamictal) and she rolls without any problems whatsoever. Lamotrigine is an anticonvulsant and EVERY death from MDMA (Ecstasy) was either caused by severe dehydration, other adulterants in the pill (NOT MDMA, but Piperazines, opiates, amphetamines, methamphetamines, et cetera), and finally SEIZURES. In complete theory, taking Lamotrigine with MDMA would actually be safer. But, always be weary of mixing any drug.

My advice, I'd avoid it, but if you want to, try it. Just start small.

To ANYONE who has a problem with my arrogance, continue reading.

**Starting MANY years prior to ANY drug use (I was completely drug-free AND a loyal member of the 'straight-edge' society of my area, we would attack people [physically and verbally] when we saw them drinking, smoking, or doing anything drug-related, it was our hobby, we were basically a gang [ever heard of FSU {Fuck Shit Up}? We were a chapter). Since 3rd grade, I've suffered from major depressive disorder, ADHD, mild schizophrenia, extreme anxiety, insomnia, and many other mental illnesses (ALL diagnosed by a total of four different psychologists and six different psychiatrists).

**I have experienced; psychotic episodes (i.e.; blacked out and came back to my senses with a butcher knife in my hand), have been in states of psychosis (from sleep deprivation from insomnia) for days (I wired three webcams to my computer that were all pointed in all directions of my house, sitting at the screen watching them all night because I knew people were conspiring to break in and I thought it was a group of corrupt police officers that somehow knew I had $40,000 some worth of electronics in my house), and recurrent limbo of lucid dreams (wake up, thinking I'm awake, then noticing that I can move things with my mind, and I realize I'm dreaming, then I try to wake myself up by shaking my head, and I wake up, but I wake up into yet another lucid dream, rinse and repeat 30 to 40 times, until you do wake up and you still don't even know if you're even awake). My psychotic stories are endless, its as if my entire childhood never happened, that it was all just a dream or I was born when I graduated high school.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.