• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 shadowswa11ow

shadowswa11ow

Beautifully Birdy

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 06:58 AM

So as I have Bipolar II my doctor started me on Lamictal. Right now I'm on 100mg and taking a break on tapering up so I can come off of Lexapro.

However... it's also supposed to increase muscle pain. I've noticed a lot of soreness lately... but I'm not sure if I should chalk that up to the Lamictal or the surge of neuropathic pain I've experienced recently. ;)

Anyone else have any tips for managing chronic pain + Lamictal?
dxs: BPII, Anxiety NOS, DSPS, SAD, EoE, Fibromyalgia, CFIDS, CRPS Type II, Asthma, Peripheral neuropathy, Allergies (seasonal, chemical, medications, foods, insects).

rxs: Lamictal 200mg, Lexapro 20mg, Clonazapam .5-1mg, Neurontin 1,200mg, Hydroxocobalamin (1,000mcg/1cc) 2cc, Norco 10/325, levothyroxine 50mg, hydrocortisone 10mg

supplements: Omega-3s, Chlorella, Vitamin C, Magnesium, Qurecetin, Vitamin D

#2 Ophelia

Ophelia

I bitch, therefore I am...

• Pip
  • 3287 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 04:31 PM

So as I have Bipolar II my doctor started me on Lamictal. Right now I'm on 100mg and taking a break on tapering up so I can come off of Lexapro.

However... it's also supposed to increase muscle pain. I've noticed a lot of soreness lately... but I'm not sure if I should chalk that up to the Lamictal or the surge of neuropathic pain I've experienced recently. ;)

How long has this been going on for?

I mean, it is possible that it is something, possible that it is coincidental. You really should talk to your doctor about what kind of pain you are experiencing and the severity.

Just so you know, though, one of Lamictal's off-label uses is for neuropathic pain.

"Instant gratification takes too long." ~Carrie Fisher

"You're wrong! I do have feelings. I'm an actress! I have all of them." ~Elise Elliot (Goldie Hawn), 'The First Wives Club'

"The defects and faults of the mind are like wounds in the body. After all imaginable care has been taken to heal them up, still there will be a scar left behind." ~Francois de la Rochefoucauld

"It has been said that time heals all wounds. I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue, and the pain lessens, but it is never gone." ~Rose Kennedy

#3 shadowswa11ow

shadowswa11ow

Beautifully Birdy

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 08:15 PM

I've been having nerve/muscle/joint pain for as long as I can remember (Chronic Lyme Disease that goes undiagnosed for 16 years will do that to you), however the pain's really intensified in the past year or so. The most recent increase was a month ago almost exactly, but that was well after a month I'd been on Lamictal.

I'm going to be talking to both my pdoc and mdoc about this... the mdoc is theoretically keeping on top of the pain (he's deeply incompetent and I'm planning on switching asap :)), and I haven't discussed that with my pdoc. I think he'd be more interested in letting the mdoc cover it.

However... I'm going to ask them both on my next appointment (within a week). And I knew that Lamictal could help with neuropathic pain... and I'm annoyed that it didn't help in my case. I suppose that was just too convenient for my body to allow it to happen. ;)
dxs: BPII, Anxiety NOS, DSPS, SAD, EoE, Fibromyalgia, CFIDS, CRPS Type II, Asthma, Peripheral neuropathy, Allergies (seasonal, chemical, medications, foods, insects).

rxs: Lamictal 200mg, Lexapro 20mg, Clonazapam .5-1mg, Neurontin 1,200mg, Hydroxocobalamin (1,000mcg/1cc) 2cc, Norco 10/325, levothyroxine 50mg, hydrocortisone 10mg

#4 ellene

ellene

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 12:44 AM

Interesting. I started lamictal, cymbalta, adderrall, off-label Haldol within a few months last winter-spring . It was in response to a new ADD , Bipolar diagnosis. Back pain started in about March. It never went away and continues a a chronic condition requiring "pain Mgmt". Did you ever??? I'm in an awful state of mind. I am in some sort of spinal pain unless i am sleeping. Oh, the energy required to keep from freaking out.

How can anyone, particulary one who is addressing mental health issues with multiple and assorted meds, deal with chronic pain (level 5-8 on a normal good day.) Needless to say tmy exploration of what makes me tick as been back-burnered.

I keep wondering what kicked off this back pain issue. Seeing an orthpedist in about a week. So far I'm hearing that I need to get involved and get used to pain mgmtCymbalt as my new way of life. Who has time explore the mindwhen the body hurts so much. The only meds that cut a dent in the pain is percocet. I'm keeping the dosage at a minimum. Rely on hot, hot, showers. Run out the hot water. Works terrific. All my MD;s insist my spinal main was incipieny. My emotional blow-out last winter spiked the time-bomb thst is my slightly scoliaqtic spine.

Coming back to Lamictal, I do't trust it or the Cymbalta. These crazy meds have long term serious side-affects. Not sure the net benefit is worth the possibile association with it and my spinal crisis.

Soo tired.

ee

#5 shadowswa11ow

shadowswa11ow

Beautifully Birdy

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 11:04 AM

Lamictal definitely wouldn't have caused your spinal issues, however it can cause muscle tension... which would exacerbate it. Maybe talk to your spinal surgeon or pdoc about a mild muscle relaxer that could counteract that side-effect?

On the other hand, Cymbalta is often prescribed to people with fibromyalgia since it can decrease neuropathic pain. Sounds like a very nice side-effect to me. ;)

#6 Caillech

Caillech

shaved pussy

• Pip
  • 637 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 03:56 AM

I would just like to point out that the therapeutic dose of Lamictal is 200 to 400 mgs. That might be why it's not touching your nerve pain. I don't know cuz I haven't gotten there yet, but was just prescribed Lamictal for nerve pain. It will be a while before I hit the dose that actually works.
You are here to enable the divine purpose of the universe to unfold. That is how important you are!
Eckhart Tolle

#7 rosarx

rosarx

Crazy Cat Lady - urban version

• Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:51 PM

I am on Lamictal 400mgs a day taken in two doses and its done wonders for my sciatic nerve pain and the burning sensation in the buttocks. It has also has not done much for the osteo-arthritis, either.

My diagnosis was recently changed to Bipolar II

meds: Lamictal 100mgs 2x a day, Zyprexa 20mgs, Prozac 40mgs, Ativan 2mgs as needed

#8 Blart752

Blart752

Meh

• Pip
  • 575 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 10:12 PM

side question here: at what doses does trileptal or oxcarbazepine work on nerve pain?

i tried it for like 3 days, i think one dose twice a day i believe. i started out at like 250mg. but it just caused me such a headache and neck pain, i couldnt take it anymore.

gabapentin which worked right away, has the issue of decreasing in effectivity over time, but still works modertately well for neuropathic pain. i was looking for a replacement for gabapentin which is why i started with teh trileptal, i also tried topamax, but again that didnt work out due to another side effect of insomnia.

ellene u stated that:

"These crazy meds have long term serious side-affects. Not sure the net benefit is worth the possibile association with it and my spinal crisis."

the only med i see there that could cause massive amounts of muscle tension is haldol, as im sure you know about the parkinsonian type effects of the drug, making your whole spine stiffen up, until u can barely move right?? if youre still taking haldol and not taking a drug like artane alongside it, you're muscles in your spine will get stiff. so im pretty sure you should work that out with your doctor.
crocker's rules

dx: Mood disorder NOS, multiple somatic issues., insomnia, fatigue, neck/back problems (sometimes spasm) under fibromyalgia(pain) treatment, asthma,

experience in: zyprexa, lexapro.

#9 Anna

Anna

• Inmate
  • 4003 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 09:08 AM

You could try lyrica if you haven't... it's related to neurontin but some people find it craps out a little less quickly.

Anna
BP I, Most Recent Episode Depressed, like suicidally depressed.

Currently on: neurontin,. seroquel, tienaptine, NAC, lithium, temazepam, latuda, provigil, a bunch of health meds/supps to deal w/ s.e. of crazy meds. (metformin, armour thyroid, Vit B 12 shots, magnesium, the list goes on, sigh, I feel like an OLD person, heh). Yeah, i am on a lot of crazy meds.

Revenge Strategist Extraordinare since 2011... Yes, you may contact me for services/ideas.

#10 Blart752

Blart752

Meh

• Pip
  • 575 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 03:18 PM

yah i have, and it made me manic <BR><BR>so basically the only good meds for neuropathic pain are gabapentin and lyrica.<BR><BR>trileptal not only made me have headaches but made me kind of depressed, which is why i think maybe lamictal might be another good option, cuz its supposed to help depression as well.<BR><BR>

btw anna this is brigg from crazymeds.

Edited by Blart752, 20 February 2011 - 10:51 PM.

crocker's rules

dx: Mood disorder NOS, multiple somatic issues., insomnia, fatigue, neck/back problems (sometimes spasm) under fibromyalgia(pain) treatment, asthma,

experience in: zyprexa, lexapro.

#11 rosarx

rosarx

Crazy Cat Lady - urban version

• Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:13 AM

I love my Effexor XR. I have been on it 6 years now and the one time I came off it I was painfully reminded of my Fibro and the intensity when not being treated correctly for it. The very first day I had results and I did not expect it all all. In fact I was feeling very hopeless and at the time there was a lot less known about it. That was 6 years ago. I recall being on the floor doing my pt and I just got up off the floor. Then I suddenly realized it - I had just got up off the floor without crawling to the couch and pulling myself up. I also take Lamictal for nerve pain as well. I don't think of them as 'crazy meds' because nerves are not just in our brains - they are all over our bodies and all effected by chemicals.

I did not get effective control of the sciatic nerve pain until I got to 400mgs with the Lamictal. I started out on 150mgs of the Effexor because it worked. Long story I would rather not share but basically I tried someone else's then demanded the dose. I then went up to 300mgs and its even better. Down side - the withdrawals are a nightmare Posted Imageand because of that I don't recommend it to people unless it is the last hope. I do not see me being able to get off it because of that without a hospitalization. Last time I almost killed myself - for real - not just talk. Alot of that was pain plus withdrawal.

Makes you a Nun, too. That is just fine for me since all the pain issues makes it difficult as hell anyway.

Edited by rosarx, 07 March 2011 - 09:14 AM.

My diagnosis was recently changed to Bipolar II

meds: Lamictal 100mgs 2x a day, Zyprexa 20mgs, Prozac 40mgs, Ativan 2mgs as needed

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.