Photo

Reasons for staying on meds (poll)

• Please log in to reply
178 replies to this topic

Poll: Why do you stay on meds? (625 member(s) have cast votes)

Why do you stay on meds?

1. Voted to help prevent depression (462 votes [9.21%])

Percentage of vote: 9.21%

2. Voted to help prevent anxiety (361 votes [7.20%])

Percentage of vote: 7.20%

3. Voted to help prevent mania (312 votes [6.22%])

Percentage of vote: 6.22%

4. Voted to help prevent psychosis (217 votes [4.33%])

Percentage of vote: 4.33%

5. Voted to stay in remission (207 votes [4.13%])

Percentage of vote: 4.13%

6. Voted to help prevent irritability (317 votes [6.32%])

Percentage of vote: 6.32%

7. Voted so my family or friends don't have to deal with the fallout (382 votes [7.62%])

Percentage of vote: 7.62%

8. Voted I don't want to lose my job / have to drop out of school (275 votes [5.48%])

Percentage of vote: 5.48%

9. Voted so I don't have to be hospitalized (340 votes [6.78%])

Percentage of vote: 6.78%

10. Voted I can't afford another spending spree (136 votes [2.71%])

Percentage of vote: 2.71%

11. Voted so I don't have to apologize to a lot of people afterward (202 votes [4.03%])

Percentage of vote: 4.03%

12. Voted to help prevent other symptoms (obsessions/compulsions, etc) (194 votes [3.87%])

Percentage of vote: 3.87%

13. Voted to stay functional (can leave the house, etc) (390 votes [7.78%])

Percentage of vote: 7.78%

14. Voted because I don't want the same thing that happened last time to happen again (354 votes [7.06%])

Percentage of vote: 7.06%

15. Voted to help prevent self-injury (190 votes [3.79%])

Percentage of vote: 3.79%

16. Voted so that I'm not dead (322 votes [6.42%])

Percentage of vote: 6.42%

17. Voted so that I can sleep (304 votes [6.06%])

Percentage of vote: 6.06%

18. additional reasons (put in post if you like) (50 votes [1.00%])

Percentage of vote: 1.00%

Why do you stay on meds even if they're not fully working?

1. Voted I'm still less crazy than I am without them (454 votes [39.31%])

Percentage of vote: 39.31%

2. Voted The benefits outweigh the side effects (281 votes [24.33%])

Percentage of vote: 24.33%

3. Voted They work better than the last set of meds (232 votes [20.09%])

Percentage of vote: 20.09%

4. Voted see above reasons (159 votes [13.77%])

Percentage of vote: 13.77%

5. additional reasons (put in post if you like) (29 votes [2.51%])

Percentage of vote: 2.51%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 resonance

resonance

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 2834 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:15 PM

see poll above.

Edited by resonance, 26 October 2009 - 09:16 PM.

#2 seraphina

seraphina

too much noise

• Pip
  • 394 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:27 PM

All of the above, except for the work or school thing because even on meds I am not stable enough to work. Well I am a stay at home mom of 5 so I guess that is work. Anyhow meds keep me alive and relatively well.
Dx: Bipolar I (rapid cycling), PTSD, OCD, GAD & loads of sensory issues
Off meds currently due to the craptastic American "healthcare" system
Rx: Lithium 1200mg, Lamictal 200mg, Seroquel 600mg, Trazodone 100mg, synthroid 50mcg
Other: recovering (currently) alcoholic

#3 crazynotstupid

crazynotstupid

S'up yo

• Inmate
  • 2430 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 10:01 PM

Is good poll, like many I suspect, I checked quite a few choices.

Quite frankly I don't wanna have to be hauled off to jail again. Quite aside from the fallout of that, what with my parents dealing and all, jail really sucks ass. Good way to quit smoking I guess tho.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep
And miles to go before I sleep.
-Robert Frost

#4 olga

olga

Life is better when you bring home a furry pal

• Inmate
  • 10363 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 10:10 PM

I've got depression and not bipolar, so my main reason for taking meds is so I don't spend my life on the couch, wishing I could die.

olga

PS. I hope it's okay that I voted. Otherwise I'll have to do a poll in the Depression forum. ;)

Edited by olga, 26 October 2009 - 10:11 PM.
for my PS

I'm bossy, opinionated, and over 60, so be prepared for advice if you post a question. However, I am not a medical professional, so please consult a doctor about your mental health issues and medications.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

“Forgiveness is a strange thing. It can sometimes be easier to forgive our enemies than our friends. It can be hardest of all to forgive people we love. Like all of life's important coping skills, the ability to forgive and the capacity to let go of resentments most likely take root very early in our lives.”
― Fred Rogers

#5 nonsum

nonsum

mad, bad and dangerous to know

• Pip
  • 139 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 10:42 PM

great poll! so may valid reasons to stay on meds. every day.
Dx: Bipolar I, Panic Disorder, ADD, Borderline Personality Disorder, Bulimia
Rx: Gabapentin 1200 mg, Topamax 300 mg, Clonazepam 1-3 mg
Past Rx: Abilify, Adderall, Ambien, Atavan, Concerta, Klonipin, Lamictal, Lexipro, Lithium, Restoril, Risperdal, Ritalin, Seroquel, Topamax, Trazodone, Wellbutrin, Xanax

#6 gizmo

gizmo

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it.

• Pip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:03 PM

I checked most of the reasons as well. A crazy like me has to do more than a non-crazy just to stay even on the teeter-totter. It sucks, but that's the way the world works.

Your poll reminded me of all the reasons I am supposed to keep doing what I do.
Diagnosis: BP I with Psychotic Features, GAD, ADHD, Chronic Migraines, various physical stuff.
Meds Currently On: Depakote 2000 mg, Risperdal 8 mg, Latuda 80 mg, Prozac 60 mg, Vyvanse 70 mg, Propranolol 40 mg BID, Klonopin 2 mg BID PRN
Meds Sort-Of Mental Related: Lipitor 40 mg, Zofran 4 mg PRN, Fioricet PRN, Stadol PRN, Botox received on 8/16/13

I post on an iPhone, so please forgive grammatical errors or strange word inclusions. It's the auto correct!

#7 Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis

The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering.

• Admin
  • 12795 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:42 PM

I hate the person I am unmedicated.

De-gnosis: ADD, recurrent depression (or maybe bpII in the guise of such), Asperger's, OCD, social anxiety
Today's Pill Menu: Dexedrine, Wellbutrin (Budeprion), Strattera, Celexa, Risperdal, and clonazepam

Like other moderators and staff of crazyboards.org, I am not a health care professional. You have no way of knowing that I am not talking out my ass. Please do your own homework before making any health related decisions.

Buy me Stuff: Amazon Wishlist

#8 Anna

Anna

• Inmate
  • 4003 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:48 PM

I checked most of the reasons. It was pretty eye opening.

I can't believe how many posts there have been on the baords lately about stopping meds and whatnot.

I can honestly say I've never been there. I guess maybe I am lucky in that I have the type of illness where it's always been clear to me that without meds I would be institutionalized, dead or worse. I never had to struggle with the compliance thing, and it's never occured to me to think about going med-free. I mean, yeah, here and there I've had an issue with a PARTICULAR med, but was always able to hash that out with my doctor and whatever.

And, I've gotten a lot of nasty side effects over the years, including SJS from lamictal. I'd STILL take the meds, frankly. Side effects and all.

I'd rather have however many years of sanity and functionality, even if the meds do end up taking a few years off my life.

I just don't UNDERSTAND people who don't take their meds as prescribed, bitch constantly about their meds, or seem to think they "don't need" them when they are so clearly impaired that it comes across EVEN on a bulletin board over the internets. I guess lack of insight is a key feature of a lot of psych disorders, but STILL. Man. My first manic episode, when I finally ended up in the hospital, I was really ready to WALK through FIRE to make sure that didn't happen again. Like, really. If some doctor had pointed me at a bunch of hot coals, and said, "Go ahead!" I would have.

The other thing that helped me out a lot was interning at one of the oldest state psych. hospitals in the country. They had videos, and an old museum. And creepy, crumbling, old grounds.

And man, let me tell you. Mental illnesses used to REALLY fucking suck, that's what. People couldn't have LIVES, or independence, or families. They got parts of their brain CUT OUT. They got put in insulin shock, and lived as wards of the state, in horrific conditions, for their entire fucking lives.

It really puts it into perspective for you. Really. When someone is bitching about feeling "flat" or gaining weight. Or going on about how pot or meth does the trick, so much better than the EVIL MEDS, developed by evil warlords to KILL US ALL. Well, cry me a fucking river, really. Please. You don't know how lucky you fucking have it. You don't know how great your life COULD be, if you would MAN UP, listen to the doctors, and do what you are fucking told for a year or two, being honest about your actual symptoms, and ceasing your recreational drug use activities.

My personal favorite, was the poster who decided they didn't want meds, and got bluntly told by the doctor, "go right ahead, and this is how you do it safely," and then had the nerve to BITCH about that doctor. The doctor was probably like, "I'm tired of dealing with this BS, I want patients who want to get well! Come back when you are freaking TIRED, and maybe then I won't have to spend all my appointments wading through nonsensical bullshit with you. Go right ahead."

It must be fall. But really, it angers me, a bit. It's just such a senseless waste of human life.

Honsetly, if I had to give up my husband or my meds, it would be a tough fucking call. But not really. Since without my meds, I'd be buisilly making his life and the life of everyone else (myself included) a living hell..... So, I guess the husband would have to go. I wouldn't want to do that to somebody, thank you very much.

I have freaking nightmares about what living in a post-apocalyptic world without meds would be like, frankly. So no, I don't get the people who spend more time bitching about meds and side effects than the do on getting well, at all. Some people just don't seem to want to be happy, really.

And honestly... if you are so well that you don't need meds, or therapy, then you probably don't need the support of crazy boards, do you? So don't post on agonizing about quitting meds, and getting endless dramatic feedback where you agonize endlessly about to Quit or Not to Quit. Just, go do it, eh? And live your delightful med free lives, happily ever after, eh?

Oh, except it's not going to be that way, because guess what, you probably do need meds, for quite some time, to even BEGIN to develop some coping skills, some optimism, and some ability to live drama free and without whining about everything, all the time, and constantly focusing on the negative. Or, you wouldn't be here. Oops.

Endrant/

Anna
BP I, Most Recent Episode Depressed, like suicidally depressed.

Currently on: neurontin,. seroquel, tienaptine, NAC, lithium, temazepam, latuda, provigil, a bunch of health meds/supps to deal w/ s.e. of crazy meds. (metformin, armour thyroid, Vit B 12 shots, magnesium, the list goes on, sigh, I feel like an OLD person, heh). Yeah, i am on a lot of crazy meds.

Revenge Strategist Extraordinare since 2011... Yes, you may contact me for services/ideas.

#9 BIMBO

BIMBO

• Pip
  • 198 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:26 AM

I'm med compliant, have been for years. As yet, no med combination has made me better & almost ALL of them have made me worse. I'll keep plodding along and trying but if I feel like bitching along the way, I feel like I'm entitled to. Everyone's journey is different.

"anyone can look, but we all need help to see" (Meinig, 1979:6).

It's never too late to be what you might have been.--George Eliot.

He has gone where savage indignation can lacerate his heart no more.

BiPolar 2, PTSD, Social Phobia, GAD.
Current meds: Seroquel, Lamictal, Clonazapam, Fish oil.

#10 blackbird

blackbird

For all that I found there...

• Pip
  • 1198 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 05:30 AM

Even though I am still highly symptomatic on the meds I would be a gibbering psychotic wreck and probably dead within a week if I stopped taking them. Plus Id take a load of people with me too.

blackbird x
I STAND ALONE

DX: Schizoaffective (bipolar type - ultra rapid cycling with major paranoid refractory psychosis), Borderline Personality Disorder, OCD, Anorexia Nervosa, Alcohol Dependence (in recovery 26/12/09)

RX: 50mg Risperdal Consta Injection x once per fortnight (equivalent to 6mg a day), 600mg Lithium, 60mgs Prozac, 5mgs Diazepam x 3 a day, 7.5mg Zopiclone

"For years one has to put up with the feeling that people do not care, really care, about one; then one day with growing alarm, one realises that it is God who does not care: and merely that he does not care, he does not care one way or the other"

Lawrence Durrell, "The Alexandria Quartet"

Driven to distraction by the utter lack of tenderness in this world

#11 Mechante

Mechante

lasirena

• Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 05:34 AM

I love this poll. Thanks. ;)
diagnosis: Schizoaffective disorder - bipolar type. PMDD. SAD. Social anxiety. Severe chocolate addiction. Excessive niceness NOS.
med line-up: Abilify 20mg, Wellbutrin 300mg,Clonazepam 0.5mg, Trazodone 100mg, Seasonique birth control.

maybe dead's like being
really high without the low but
I enjoy the hangovers
here.

#12 Rabbit37

Rabbit37

It's a fuckin' zoo around here

• Pip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 05:39 AM

Great poll, and yep, I checked off many of them. Thanks for keeping my eyes open while I'm whining about wanting to quit.
dx - BP, OCD and BPD, oh yeah, and some GAD as well
rx - lithium, risperidone, citalopram, vistaril and vitamins

#13 lysergia

lysergia

ripping off the bootstraps

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 3216 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 07:51 AM

Honsetly, if I had to give up my husband or my meds, it would be a tough fucking call. But not really. Since without my meds, I'd be buisilly making his life and the life of everyone else (myself included) a living hell..... So, I guess the husband would have to go. I wouldn't want to do that to somebody, thank you very much.

this says it perfectly. not a choice i'd ever wanna have to make, but still.

the only med i've been sorta non-compliant with is clonazepam. many times i've taken less than the recommended amount because i'm scared to get addicted again.

i think we can rant away about side effects because they ARE annoying and sometimes really affect how your day goes. to me, it's like bitching about my kid. i can growl about what she does that drives me crazy, but i still love her and would never give her up.

good rant though Anna!

current dx:

BPI/II (depending on whom you ask), DDNOS, ED issues (recovered anorexic), major anxiety issues, PTSD issues (now subclinical), hallucinations NOS.
current rx:

wellbutrin 300 mg, clonazepam 1.5 mg, seroquel 50 mg, synthroid 0.1625 mg, vitamins D3, B12, omega3.  PRNs - seroquel, ibuprofen, tylenol, nicotine, caffeine, chocolate
past rx:

lithium, lamotrigine, prozac, paxil, zoloft, effexor, citalopram, latuda, lyrica, imipramine, nortyrptaline, lorazepam, buspar, mirtazipine, risperdal, remeron, abilify, parnate, zyprexa, zopicolone, l-tryptophan, trazadone, melatonin, ECT, more stuff i can't remember

kittybuttxa3.jpg

#14 lostinthoughtandjaded

lostinthoughtandjaded

lostinthoughtandjaded

• Pip
  • 270 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:17 AM

ummm........ pretty sure half the reason this board exists is so people can bitch/rant/share/whine about and question the things they are going through. Resistance can still lead to enlightenment.

That said, as someone who struggles to stay med-compliant (none of which are because "I just don't want to" or "these pills are developed by evil megalocorporations"), this was a GREAT poll. Well worded too. I forget sometimes just how MANY reasons there are for me to take my meds as regularly as I can manage.

Edited by lostinthoughtandjaded, 27 October 2009 - 11:19 AM.

dx:  primarily severe anxiety & depression, bipolar (2)

history panic attacks, eating disorders, SI, impulsive behaviour

current:  Lamotrigine 200mg, Prozac 20mg, Clonazepam 0.5 mg
priors that performed reasonably well  Lamotrigine 150mg, Wellbutrin XL 150mg, Prozac 10mg, Clonazepam 1mg, Ativan 1mg sL for panic attacks, Seroquel 25mg for crisis situations

priors that failed miserably:  Celexa, Effexor (!#@! horrible)

"When you've suffered a great deal in life, each additional pain is both unbearable and trifling..."
- YANN MARTEL

#15 JackBQuick

JackBQuick

WTF?!

• Pip
  • 471 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 12:00 PM

...Well I am a stay at home mom of 5 so I guess that is work. ...

Indeed! I only have two hooligans and that's way more than I can safely handle sometimes. Sometimes (okay so mostly) I feel like I live for school hours or work duties that take me out of the house/office... than I can be myself instead of the full-frontal kid-manager.

Props to the SAHP-hood!

The Cosmic Thumbnail: BPII, Tourette's Syndrome, and most of the attendant craptastica...
RX: Lamictal 300 mg. A buncha shit for pain, busted spine, shoulder, all that crap.

"You have to know your left from your right. You have to know what you're doing." Ken Wattanabe to me on a bad day in the dojo.

"No, not again, the line must be drawn here. This far, and no further!" Captain Jean Luc Picard, Star Trek: First Contact

#16 JackBQuick

JackBQuick

WTF?!

• Pip
  • 471 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 12:23 PM

And, I've gotten a lot of nasty side effects over the years, including SJS from lamictal.

What's "SJS"?

The other thing that helped me out a lot was interning at one of the oldest state psych. hospitals in the country. They had videos, and an old museum. And creepy, crumbling, old grounds.

And man, let me tell you. Mental illnesses used to REALLY fucking suck, that's what. People couldn't have LIVES, or independence, or families. They got parts of their brain CUT OUT. They got put in insulin shock, and lived as wards of the state, in horrific conditions, for their entire fucking lives.

Funny you mention that. I just saw something on the History Channel or one of those the other night about an old institution where there's a museum. Brought back memories of seeing one of the earlier films about Tourette's where TS patients were burned at the stake for being possessed by the devil and institutionalized permanently as recently as the 1950's. Pretty grim stuff. The museum items were particularly horrific... a much of it driven by "science" that was heavily infused with fundamentalist religion. Which leads me to...

I have freaking nightmares about what living in a post-apocalyptic world without meds would be like, frankly.

Don't read my new novel when/if it comes out... it's all about that. I wrote it and a slew of other shorts as a way of managing my obsession with dystopian futures. OTOH, I think I love that shit and hope to hell I'm not alive to see it because without my buddy Lamictal, I can crash-out pretty easy. In a world where staying alive depends on a certain amount of requisite positive thought despite a dire situation (that would otherwise totally justify significant depression as a response), having the hunker-down gene to excess is more likely to clobber us.

Edited by JackBQuick, 27 October 2009 - 12:31 PM.

The Cosmic Thumbnail: BPII, Tourette's Syndrome, and most of the attendant craptastica...
RX: Lamictal 300 mg. A buncha shit for pain, busted spine, shoulder, all that crap.

"You have to know your left from your right. You have to know what you're doing." Ken Wattanabe to me on a bad day in the dojo.

"No, not again, the line must be drawn here. This far, and no further!" Captain Jean Luc Picard, Star Trek: First Contact

#17 celestia

celestia

• Pip
  • 3855 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 12:27 PM

i think we can rant away about side effects because they ARE annoying and sometimes really affect how your day goes. to me, it's like bitching about my kid. i can growl about what she does that drives me crazy, but i still love her and would never give her up.

well said.
diagnoses: MDD/ADD/PTSD
Current meds: Wellbutrin 450/Lexapro 30

#18 Phoenix_Rising

Phoenix_Rising

Medicated for your safety

• Inmate
  • 3490 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 12:47 PM

I will always be on meds b/c I promised myself and my hubby and kid that I would be the best human being I can be.

That has meant some serious brain fuckery for me, ie: horrible side effects, feeling like a zombie at times, weight gain, blah, blah, blah. But I have way too much to lose to stop taking meds.

Current Dx: BPII, GAD, OCD and PTSD

Other crap: sleep apnea and diabetes type II

Rx: Prozac 20 mg; Zyprexa 15 mg; Gabapentin 1200 mg; Adderall 60 mg;  Klonopin 2 mg and prn; Lithium 900 mg; Meformin 2000 mg; Metropolol 200 mg; Premarin .625 mg  Insulin 19 mg

>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me? Crazy?  I should get down off this unicorn and slap you.

_________________________________________________________________________________

I am not a mental health care professional, please seek out a professional's advice.

#19 SashaSue

SashaSue

Vulpes Bipolaris

• Pip
  • 4565 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 06:31 PM

I will never understand the people who find it so challenging to stay on their meds. Being crazy is horrible. Being even somewhat less crazy is much better. I love my pills.
Dx: Bipolar I, ADHD<br />
Rx: Seroquel, 800mg, Lamictal, 150mg, Effexor, 325mg, Wellbutrin, 450, Dexedrine ER, 60mg

#20 danceintherain

danceintherain

• Pip
  • 1082 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 06:49 PM

I appreciated checking off most of the options. Two hospitalizations (both short, but still necessary) is more than enough for one life time. And kind of embarassing at the ripe old age of 27.

I did go off and I had a fairly rational reason at the time. I have two family members (brother and uncle) who had a single episode of a depression/anxiety combo and who have never had a problem since the first episode that required medication. some renewal of therapy to handle regular life issues, but never a full episode of anything. My mom and grandmom are another story. So, my doctor and I agreed that it was a fairly good chance that I might be like my brother and uncle, when I'd made it a good 7 years w/o any reoccurrence. Gave it a try--and then as soon as trauma hit, I learned that I'm not like them. So once is enough of that.

I'm pretty fortunate though...i haven't had a lot of nasty symptoms. It's more just annoying from a financial perspective and a time perspective (leaving work early once a month for pdoc appointments and once a week for tdoc). I can handle that though, if the trade off is craziness and falling apart.
bipolar I ish. Used to have some ptsd-like crap, but that's resolved.

current RXs: Ativan (1 mg), Lamictal (300mg, split); WellbutrinXL (150mg); geodon (20mgs w/ food). Also levothyroxine (75 mcg), levosertralizine, and
birth control.

Past Rxs: zoloft (like a sugar pill); lexapro (hit an akathesia problem or something else nasty like that); seroquel; ambien; sonata (all worked at different points in time, just changed for different reasons); effexorXR (wonderful for helping to yank me out of an episode; stopped after a few years b/c it seemed to be causing some agitation).

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.