Photo

Reasons for staying on meds (poll)

• Please log in to reply
186 replies to this topic

Poll: Why do you stay on meds? (653 member(s) have cast votes)

Why do you stay on meds?

1. Voted to help prevent depression (482 votes [9.25%])

Percentage of vote: 9.25%

2. Voted to help prevent anxiety (376 votes [7.22%])

Percentage of vote: 7.22%

3. Voted to help prevent mania (327 votes [6.28%])

Percentage of vote: 6.28%

4. Voted to help prevent psychosis (227 votes [4.36%])

Percentage of vote: 4.36%

5. Voted to stay in remission (213 votes [4.09%])

Percentage of vote: 4.09%

6. Voted to help prevent irritability (328 votes [6.29%])

Percentage of vote: 6.29%

7. Voted so my family or friends don't have to deal with the fallout (395 votes [7.58%])

Percentage of vote: 7.58%

8. Voted I don't want to lose my job / have to drop out of school (289 votes [5.55%])

Percentage of vote: 5.55%

9. Voted so I don't have to be hospitalized (352 votes [6.75%])

Percentage of vote: 6.75%

10. Voted I can't afford another spending spree (140 votes [2.69%])

Percentage of vote: 2.69%

11. Voted so I don't have to apologize to a lot of people afterward (209 votes [4.01%])

Percentage of vote: 4.01%

12. Voted to help prevent other symptoms (obsessions/compulsions, etc) (200 votes [3.84%])

Percentage of vote: 3.84%

13. Voted to stay functional (can leave the house, etc) (405 votes [7.77%])

Percentage of vote: 7.77%

14. Voted because I don't want the same thing that happened last time to happen again (369 votes [7.08%])

Percentage of vote: 7.08%

15. Voted to help prevent self-injury (199 votes [3.82%])

Percentage of vote: 3.82%

16. Voted so that I'm not dead (335 votes [6.43%])

Percentage of vote: 6.43%

17. Voted so that I can sleep (315 votes [6.04%])

Percentage of vote: 6.04%

18. additional reasons (put in post if you like) (50 votes [0.96%])

Percentage of vote: 0.96%

Why do you stay on meds even if they're not fully working?

1. Voted I'm still less crazy than I am without them (473 votes [39.55%])

Percentage of vote: 39.55%

2. Voted The benefits outweigh the side effects (290 votes [24.25%])

Percentage of vote: 24.25%

3. Voted They work better than the last set of meds (237 votes [19.82%])

Percentage of vote: 19.82%

4. Voted see above reasons (166 votes [13.88%])

Percentage of vote: 13.88%

5. additional reasons (put in post if you like) (30 votes [2.51%])

Percentage of vote: 2.51%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#181 Gnuyak

Gnuyak

Ye Olde Crazy Farte

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 11:49 AM

Because I want to be around to see my kids safely out on their own. And maybe get to be a grandmother, the way my mom wasn't (she died 2 years before my oldest was born).

And because some day I AM going to get through all the mythology books I've collected,dammit. That's why I'll stay on my meds.

#182 3xEmonkey

3xEmonkey

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:04 PM

As an optimist I find the depression tolerable. I always thought I was thriving during the mania. And then a real manic episode happened, and I learned the term 'hypomanic.'
Rapid cycling is so foreign to me; I often wonder if I may have SAD instead. And maybe so. But I stay on my meds. Because to stray from the path is to approach the wolf's den.
And for some reason, people only believe a person is sick if they take medicine...
I wish that weren't even a factor in my reasons.

Edited by 3xEmonkey, 11 August 2014 - 09:05 PM.

--
3xE

#183 smac84

smac84

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:25 PM

See above poll...

I stay on my meds so I do not go "crazy" and get SI... If my moods swing too high or low, its bad :(

Diagnosis:  Bipolar II Depression with psychotic features, Borderline Personality Disorder, Anxiety, PTSD, Migraines, Gastritis, Vitamin D Deficiency

Current Medications:  Abilify 2mg, Lamictal 25mg (slowly increasing to 100mg), Prolixin 30mg, Trazodone 50mg, Atenolol 50mg X twice a day(for migraines), Ranitidine (for gastritis), Vitamin D3 6000iu, Artane 4mg (for tremors), Prenatal Vitamin,

Previous Medications:  Amytriptyline, despiramine, doxepin, citalopram, fluoxetine, gabapentin, temazepam, sertraline, mirtazapine, bupropion, asenapine, lurasidone, carbamazepine, valproic acid, topamax, klonopin, clonidine (for anxiety)

#184 LesMis4

LesMis4

• Pip
  • 279 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:18 PM

Because I've tried it the other way...going off meds...and the result was an ER visit where I was terrified they were going to hold me in the hospital on a watch. Nope. I'm taking them religiously now. No more messing around.

Dx: Bipolar II, GAD, Social Anxiety, Panic Disorder

Rx: Klonopin .5mg 2x/day. Geodon 20mg/day. For other issues: Clonodine .1mg 2x/day, Ventolin Inhaler as needed, and Hydroclorothiazide 12.5 mg 1x/day, Vitamin D 50,000/wk

#185 Flash

Flash

Cooking really helps me think about my murders

• Pip
  • 1043 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 06:13 PM

Speaking of being held, I always had to be signed out by my parent(s). My family is gone now, and the closest relatives I have are some cousins who I've either never met or haven't seen or talked to in eons. Plus they all live far away. If I get stuck in again, how am I going to get out? And how would I deal with paying bills, taking care of the cats, getting my mail, and stuff like that? And another thing, let's say you check yourself in voluntarily. Can you always leave at any time then, even if you're completely off your rocker?
Dx:
Bipolar I

Rx:
Abilify 15mg, Cogentin 1mg, Zyprexa 7.5-10mg PRN, Remeron 15mg PRN, Concerta 36mg + Ritalin 10mg PRN (trying life without them for a while)

Past meds: Wellbutrin, Effexor, Trazodone, Remeron, Paxil, Celexa, Prozac, Lexapro, Neurontin, Lunesta, Ambien, Ambien CR, Restoril, Seroquel, Lithium

#186 IamnotmyDx

IamnotmyDx

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 11:46 AM

I take my meds so that I won't lose custody of my kid.

#187 scutofwump

scutofwump

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 10:49 PM

H

Dx: PTSD , Borderline Personality Disorder , Major Depression Disorder , Generalized Anxiety Disorder ,  Social Phobia

Rx: none

Previous RX:  Lexapro, Paxil, Prozac, Effexor , Busperone , Seroquel , Klonopin , Abilify , Benzotropine , Hydroxyzine, 
Saphris   , Ativan , Xanax, Neurontin

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.