Adderal, Bad breath, Cymbalta and remeron

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jononetime

Jononetime

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 11:17 PM

The last two years for me has been what some might call nothing less than a 'case study', or at lest that is what I feel like. Going from Prozac, paxil, valproic acid, seraquel, Zoloft, strattera, and now Adderall, Remeron and cymbalta. I didn't Have the Li and some of the other medications mentioned in other posts, but I too have had the I.Q exodus and vocab crash. I notice these problems during work more than @ home. They (I think) manifest  more at work since I do most of my talking of the day with Clients.

To start:

Prozac/paxil, buspar, valproic acid was given to me by doc that cared more about 'ESPN' during our visit over my inbalances'.

Side Effects:

Nothing bad outside of the first few days of headaches. The meds were okay, did nothing for the depression. I did feel less prone to attack someone, however the trauma causing the aggression was still active in my life and I was too scared to tell anyone. (especially "Dr.espn")

Another major episode came and went.

I found my self with a new pdoc and psychotherapist. Scared and critical I went into our sessions with an open mind. As hard as it was...

Next cocktails came as follows:

-Zoloft
-Straterra, Zoloft
-Straterra, Seraquel, Zoloft
-Adderall,  Seraquel, Zoloft
-Adderall,  Remeron, Cymbalta

*Last combination started 5 months ago and still in use.

Side effects:

Zoloft was first given with out the seraquel and strattera. Man, the next two weeks was happy-cloud-walkin time. 30 days later that euphoric feeling got me into a seriously messed up situation that anyone might have seen comming from miles away.  But like I said, Happy, lookin down, I dind't have one negative thought which was a side effect I never thought could be bad. Reasoning that all outcomes would turnout positive, should have flaged my logic. You never doubt your own logic by nature, but then again its why I take meds.

Next I was given strattera with the Zoloft. Head aches sucked... BAD. I didn't have bad dreams, But they were f'd up non the less. Like something straight out of a Hunter S. Thompson Acid Trip gone insane. (seem to remember dream involving a Crab infestation @ heathrow Airport - yeah, those crabs. ) I also had the side effect of 'super I.Q.'  I asked the doc what was in it and how it worked. Told him he should somehow Black market the stuff as brainpower pills.  Got two legal pads full of innovative product ideas. Not bad for a week. It quickly was replaced with Adderall.

Seraquel was intoduced for the scitz in me, Knocked me out like a lite. No dreams, no nothing, not even a raging GF could disturb me. Kinda funny the first time taking it, I felt like bruce Willis in 12 monkeys, when they had him doped up in jail and he was drooling on himself.  :)   Those side effects didn't last but a couple of days. I did noticed, that my ability to metabalize sugar whet to nothing. When off the Quel, that problem resolved itself. I guess so did the ability to sleep thru a lunatic GF's ranting. *bless her heart, her problem was created my the manifestation of my own problems.

Adderall had the side effect of increased productivity, not because I was "speeding" but for the fact that my efforts where now efficient.

I was taken off the seraquel and zoloft and it was replaced with Cymbalta and Remeron. The Zoloft had become inert, and seraquel for reason I assumed to be realated with change.

The Remeron does the same thing in the way of knocking me out, but not to the same degree as Seraquel. Cymbalta is okay, I don't really feel as happy with it, then again, I guess I feel normal. 

Cymbalta makes me very tired so I take it with Rem before I go to bed. Adderall in the morning.

The other nite sitting in bed, I was hit with a force so sudden and hard I felt as if my whole body rotated 90 degrees counter clockwise. (So I was sitting in bed legs out front back to wall, rotate as if in same body position now only on my side instead of sitting up.)

Just a split second after registering my Jolt, I realized that I had actually not moved. My Gf sitting next to my jumped becuase when I felt the jolt of what I thought was getting knocked on my side, I blurted "O'shet!" The lingering feeling of disorientation passed in moments. After trying digest what just happened, I realized that not only I had remained stationary, but the rotation felt as is peged thru my chest on 0' axis. (think windmill) Later after reading some posts in these forums, the 'Compass effect' described matches the feeling.

Every so often I have unvoluntary limb spasm or face twitch. Words don't come to me as I stated earlier. Nouns, gone... Suffix and prefix in spelling, gone. Homophones in written language, and a similar effect in Numbers. Mainly 4, 7 and 9 seem to interchange the same way that board and bord interchange. 

A REAL bad side effect of the Adderall, (which only happened when pharmacy messed up my Remeron Rx) is I will not sleep. Takes a good half gallon of Orange Juice and 4 sominex to put me down. You would think excercise would do it , but that only renews the charge and awake I am. Until I got the OJ Sominex combo and the Rem fixed, It would be 72 hours before the Addy's effects died and I was able to sleep. Last nite I took my normal meds, was relaxed but only managed to sleep 2 hours. 5 am - 7am isn't exactly regenerative sleep. I have messed around with alkaline and acidic methods of switching on and off the effects. Nothing so solid to write a book about yet.

I also now have the worst dry mouth and bad breath ever! Me and Fuji brand water are like this! ::crosses fingers:: 
Then again so is a Daily appointment with a pack of Camel Special Lights 100's.
*note was never a big smoker until last rx cocktail introduced.

My Gf also tells me I speak other languages in my sleep, mainly french, and other things NOT so mentionable. Should also be noted, I'm not french, Don't speak it, and last time I'd even thought about the language was Into french 10 years ago in highschool.

I often think about setting up a sound and video recording of my sleep actions.
Not really sure what else I can contribute, but I have hopes this information might find some use for you and me. ;)

OH YEAH armpit sweat! Call me mickey mouse, because it's there : ( Mitchem, no contest.

#2 Sunshine

Sunshine

• Pip
  • 866 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 11:40 PM

What is/are your diagnosis(s)? Your reaction to the SSRIs seems to beg the diagnosis of bipolar disorder. Have you discussed this possibility with your pdoc? SSRIs will often induce mania. The insomnia is also indicative of mania.

Are you taking immediate release Adderall or Adderall XR? Interestingly, many of us with ADD diagnoses find that Adderall helps us sleep better... which again leaves me questioning your diagnosis (as stimulants can also trigger mania and insomnia is a common symptom of mania). What is your Remeron doses? Lower doses should make you really sleepy.

The dry mouth is a very common side effect of Cymbalta. That's what's causing the bad breath (less saliva to wash away the bacteria that causes it). Some people find that sucking on hard candy helps... I like the Listerine breath strips, myself (they take some getting used to, though). Ironically, sweating seems to be fairly common, as well.

The "jolt" episode you describe sounds like "brain shivers." Also fairly common when titrating up (or down) on Cymbalta. Mine went away after a while (2-3 months).

Anyway... welcome to Crazy Meds!

~Sunshine
Diagnonsenses: Major Depressive Disorder (recurrent, in remission), ADD (inattentive type), Chronic Insomnia, Migraines, mild Anxiety Disorder (NOS), and a broken heart (also in remission!).
Current Cocktail (as of 11/17/2011):
~Morning: 20 mg Adderall XR, 3 mg Intuniv, and 1 mg Xanax XR
~Bedtime: 8 mg Rozerem, 5-10 mg Ambien, 200 mg Danazol (for PMDD and migraine), 100 mg Aldactone
~PRN: 2.5 mg Amerge (for migraines) and .25 mg IR Xanax
Previous meds: See profile.

#3 Jononetime

Jononetime

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 12:31 AM

What is/are your diagnosis(s)? Your reaction to the SSRIs seems to beg the diagnosis of bipolar disorder. Have you discussed this possibility with your pdoc? SSRIs will often induce mania. The insomnia is also indicative of mania.

Are you taking immediate release Adderall or Adderall XR? Interestingly, many of us with ADD diagnoses find that Adderall helps us sleep better... which again leaves me questioning your diagnosis (as stimulants can also trigger mania and insomnia is a common symptom of mania). What is your Remeron doses? Lower doses should make you really sleepy.

The dry mouth is a very common side effect of Cymbalta. That's what's causing the bad breath (less saliva to wash away the bacteria that causes it). Some people find that sucking on hard candy helps... I like the Listerine breath strips, myself (they take some getting used to, though). Ironically, sweating seems to be fairly common, as well.

The "jolt" episode you describe sounds like "brain shivers." Also fairly common when titrating up (or down) on Cymbalta. Mine went away after a while (2-3 months).

Anyway... welcome to Crazy Meds!

~Sunshine

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey thanks SunShine, I elaborate on that post a little more in another forum. I had doubts where it would be well recieved. Here is the modifactions. And the answer to your questions.

Current medication over view:

-Remeron 30mg  2 before bed
-Cymbalta 60mg 1 before bed
-Adderall Xr 30mg 2perday(morning) or 0 If I don' go to work and feel like suffering

Chapter side effects:

Blunt imaginary trauma (brain-shivers)
Dry mouth
Loss of appetite
Extreme Hunger
Smoking
Water water water!
Sleep- walking, talking, sex.
Can't sleep
Ruined shirts with Perma pit stains.
Driving GF up wall. oh wait, I do that on my own. : )
Brain Funk /cognitive absence
Best looking boarder line crack addict body you have ever seen.
Twitching/shaking - eyes, hands, lips, jaw, limbs.

Diagnosis: Only what I can remember

Schizoid Personality Disorder
-OCD
   -Major depression

PTSD

edit I forgot the  Dyslexia Not to be confused with ADHD, Similar effects and results with adderall xr. However, I'm not effected the same way with the drug as Someone with Adhd or add w/o h or non add. I get the slow down effect with thought speed, but not physical speed or delay.I do not get the "caffine in the morning effect." I do get very very tired @ night and do want to sleep, I didn't mean to make that apear other wise, I(mind) just will not allow. Its a shitty fealing really. You eyes want to close. Your mind is all but turned off. Just that dam little bit of stimulant messin stuff up. Its like having the smallest possible amount of what it takes to keep you from going to sleep,does just that.
I tried to exaust my self on my bow flex ( which i never use) with the hopes the the physical exaustion would over come the stimulation keep my mind from shutting down. That only made things worse. Pain + no sleep = more stress Rinese and repeat.

Edited by Jononetime, 21 August 2005 - 12:47 AM.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.