Lamictal and "vivid dreams"or nightmares

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lavender

lavender

• Pip
  • 272 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 05:18 PM

Have noticed more frequent, vivid dreams and nightmares since starting Lamictal and want to know if others have experienced the same, and if so, did the dreams/nightmares taper off after a period of time? Also wondering if taking Lamictal in a.m. vs p.m. might make a difference.
Dx: Bipolar Disorder, rapid cycling
Meds: Remeron, Ranitidine, Simvastatin, Prempro, Ativan as needed

Past Rx: Lamictal, Zoloft, Prozac, Paxil, Effexor, Wellbutrin, Buspar, Celexa, Zyprexa, Seroquel, Risperidol, Xanax, Klonopin, Trazodone, Serzone, Lithium, Triavil, Tofranil, Haldol, Cogentin, Sinequan, Elavil, Valium, Desiprimine, Depakote, Neurontin, Thorazine, Tranxene, Ambien, Restoril, Fukitol, etc, etc, etc...

#2 danceintherain

danceintherain

• Pip
  • 1082 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 07:47 PM

I had a vivid dream problem while titrating, but I'm not sure if it was that or the AAP that I was using at the time for sleeping.

As for AM or PM, there was a thread on that specifically that you might find helpful. For me, at least, I gradually switched to PM because I was having daytime drowsiness issues. I'm not sure if they were a symptom or a side-effect, and I'm not sure if it was a side effect of the lamictal or something else. But I've found that PM works best, regardless!
bipolar I ish. Used to have some ptsd-like crap, but that's resolved.

current RXs: Ativan (1 mg), Lamictal (300mg, split); WellbutrinXL (150mg); geodon (20mgs w/ food). Also levothyroxine (75 mcg), levosertralizine, and
birth control.

Past Rxs: zoloft (like a sugar pill); lexapro (hit an akathesia problem or something else nasty like that); seroquel; ambien; sonata (all worked at different points in time, just changed for different reasons); effexorXR (wonderful for helping to yank me out of an episode; stopped after a few years b/c it seemed to be causing some agitation).

#3 lavender

lavender

• Pip
  • 272 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 08:50 PM

I'm currently at 50 mg. and have not experienced drowsiness, if anything it's the opposite w/me. Today I switched to a.m. and did not get drowsy. Am hoping this will decrease the nightmares or that they will decrease as my system adjusts to the med.

Past Rx: Lamictal, Zoloft, Prozac, Paxil, Effexor, Wellbutrin, Buspar, Celexa, Zyprexa, Seroquel, Risperidol, Xanax, Klonopin, Trazodone, Serzone, Lithium, Triavil, Tofranil, Haldol, Cogentin, Sinequan, Elavil, Valium, Desiprimine, Depakote, Neurontin, Thorazine, Tranxene, Ambien, Restoril, Fukitol, etc, etc, etc...

#4 3Degree

3Degree

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 02:36 PM

Have noticed more frequent, vivid dreams and nightmares since starting Lamictal and want to know if others have experienced the same, and if so, did the dreams/nightmares taper off after a period of time? Also wondering if taking Lamictal in a.m. vs p.m. might make a difference.

Yes, a lot more dreams, and very vivid!!!! I'm only up to the 50mg dose (up 12.5 mg/week). I am taking it A.M.
"That which you manifest is before you". -Enzo "Somewhere the Zebra is dancing." -Enzo Enzo-isms via Garth Stein The Art of Racing in the Rain

Irritability, Anger Issues DX: Depression

Current Meds: Celexa(40mg) & Risperdal(1.0mg) Blood Pressure Meds, AntiCholesterol Med
Past Meds: Symbyax; Zyprexa (5mg) & Zoloft; Zyprexa & Effexor; Zyprexa/Effexor/Wellbutrin (300mg); Zyprexa/Effexor/Wellbutrin/Geodon
--Switched pdocs (hell coming off Effexor)
Wellbutrin (300mg) & Geodon ==> Ativan PRN; Wellbutrin & Lamictal (never got to 200mg in the titration); Wellbutrin & Lithium (450mg, blood level =0.3); Budeprion XL / Bupropion XL (Teva, & Watson) & Zyprexa (2.5mg); Bupropion XL & Abilify (2.5mg); Bupropion XL (Watson) 300mg, Lamotrigine (Mylan) made it up to 67.5 mg/wk ]; Bupropion XL (Watson) & Zyprexa (2.5mg), ditching the Z next, then the Wellbutrin.
BREAK!
Abilify (2.5mg-5mg); Strattera (60mg); Prozac (10-20mg), Prozac(20mg) & Risperdal (0.5mg);Celexa(20mg) & Risperdal(0.5mg)

#5 lavender

lavender

• Pip
  • 272 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 11:06 PM

Hi 3D,

Now that I've taken the Lamictal for several months (now 200mg) the dreams have tapered off completely and when I had them, it seemed each dosage increase would bring a new round of those vivid dreams. Now the only prob. I have is if I take 200mg's all at once, I get a headache, so I take 1 in morning and 1 early afternoon. It's all good now, and it seems the current dose is just right. Good luck with your titration. -Lav

#6 crtclms

crtclms

Queen of Ergots

• Inmate
  • 8760 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 05:40 PM

I have always been a vivid dreamer (migraine), but Lamictal caused "unsettling" dreams for the first couple of months I was on it. By unsettling, I don't mean nightmares, exactly, but dreams that weren't very pleasant. I have since returned to my "normal" vivid dreaming.

Dx: Bipolar 1; GAD; Migraine w/ Aura; Migraine w/o Aura; Renal Tubular Acidosis (caused by Zonegran); Status Migrainosus
Rx: Alprazolam; Botox; Buproprion; Dihydroergotomine via IV Infusion; Flexeril; Lamotrigine; Latuda; Lithium; Metoclopramide; Midrin; Migranal; Potassium Citrate; Prilosec; Promethazine; Riboflavin; Tizanidine; Verapamil; Vitamin D3
Currently Shelved: Abilify; Amerge; Anaprox; Atenolol; Buspar; Cafergot; Cymbalta; Depakote; Di-Hydro-ergotamine, injected; Gabapentin; Geodon; Imitrex Tablets; Klonopin; Maxalt; Namenda; Nortriptyline; Norvasc; Propranolol; Prozac; Risperidone; Relpax; Sansert; Sumatriptan injectables; Tegretol; Trazadone; Zoloft; Zolpidem; Zomig; Zonegran

Affectations can be dangerous. -Gertrude Stein

I moderate Bipolar, Panic/Anxiety, Dissociative Disorders, Migraine, Seizures, Not Otherwise Specified, Anticonvulsants, Side Effects, Family Feud, and I Still Have Issues. Remember, I am not a medical professional. PM me if you have any questions

#7 Lollapalooza

Lollapalooza

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:26 PM

I have extremely vivid and bizarre dreams, lots of nightmares. Not sure if it is the lamictal or the abilify when I was on that. I just quit abilify cold turkey a week ago, and since then I haven't had a nightmare, just vivid dreams, so it could have been abilify.

Again, not sure if the nightmares were from lamictal, but I'm pretty sure the vivid dreams have to do with lamictal. My dreams are so vivid that I can't separate them from reality sometimes.
Rx: Lamictal, Wellbutrin, Cellexa
Dx: Bipolar Disorder II, Anxiety Attacks

♥"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth.”♥--Mark Twain

#8 Überpolarbear

Überpolarbear

i second LunaRufina's member title.

• Pip
  • 375 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 06:01 PM

I LOVE FIONA APPLE YAAAAAAAY.
ok. back to normal.

i once had this dream (i was on lamictal)
i was singing in front of a gazzilion people (woodstock or something) and i can remember one line of what i was singing ---> "god is a whore so let us have our fun with him" ;)

Edited by Überpolarbear, 10 March 2010 - 06:01 PM.

"humor is therapy" (Viktor Frankl)
Diagnosis: [/size][/size]bipolar ultradian rapid cycling, schizophrenia NOS, being a pervert. Yes. this is bipolar. fuck the docs who say i'm schizo. ok maybe it's schizo, Clearly Schizoaffective disorder. Spooky shit!
meds: Lithium 675mg, valproic acid (generic depakote) 1200mg, Clozapine 300mg, Trazodone 50mg, Zyprexa 20mg, Carbamazepine 600mg, lamictal 50mg, valproate (generic depakote stuff) 1750mg Seroquel 600mg (soon to be 800 probably). Zyprexa 30mg, Solian (Amisulpride (AAP)) 600 mg, Lyrica 150mg, Topamax 150mg
, lamictal 25mg

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.