Inositol

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 metallicamommy

metallicamommy

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 02:11 PM

I'm just curious, has anyone here taken, or are you currently taking, inositol, and if you've seen any positive results?

#2 Dire Curves

Dire Curves

• Pip
  • 226 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 03:40 PM

I am, though much less than the recomended dosage for depression.  I take it along with Niacin, Magnesium Oxide, Chromium Picolinate, & Omega-3's.  While taking my regular meds Welbutrin and Busparine.  One warning on taking a large dosage 10-15 grams/day, it may cause the squirts'.  Inositol helps the brains receptors become more sensitive to serotonin.  As for the results, I believe it works and so do some psychs, but I've been wrong before.
BP mixed state/spectrum ADHD chronic insomniac impulsive reckless selflessness i.e. "addrenaline junky"
"Any word used to describe an imperfection, is just another word for humanity." -
"Only I can hurt or help myself" -
"Why, since we fail often to learn, do we fear it so?"
"Life is practice for destiny" -
"Survival first, then happiness as we can manage" -All me
"I'm F I N E" Fuckedup Insecure Neurotic and Emotional"-unknown
"Obstacle cannot crush me
Every obstacle yields to stern resolve
He who is fixed to a star does not change his mind"-- Leonardo da Vinci

"Imagination is more important that knowledge.  Knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world." -- Albert Einstien

#3 MoparGuy1991

MoparGuy1991

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 07:46 PM

I take 6g a day in two divided doses.
Ultra-Rapid/Ultradian Cycling, OCD, Aspergers Syndrome
Current Cocktail:
Lamictal - 300mg (200mg AM, 100mg PM)
Topamax - 150mg (50mg TID)
Omega 3 Mood 1000mg EPA QAM

#4 Guest_dark lord_*

Guest_dark lord_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2005 - 07:49 AM

I'm just curious, has anyone here taken, or are you currently taking, inositol, and if you've seen any positive results?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I tried it for a couple weeks and it didn't do jack for me. It might work for other people though.

#5 MoparGuy1991

MoparGuy1991

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 09:22 AM

I don't take the high dosage Inositol anymore. I now take the amount that's bonded with my GABA, which is 500mg Inositol.
Ultra-Rapid/Ultradian Cycling, OCD, Aspergers Syndrome
Current Cocktail:
Lamictal - 300mg (200mg AM, 100mg PM)
Topamax - 150mg (50mg TID)
Omega 3 Mood 1000mg EPA QAM

#6 Guest_Narcathex_*

Guest_Narcathex_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2005 - 09:59 PM

Inositol in very large doses is, if memory serves, supposed to act as a heavy duty stimulant in BP1 folks.  I'm talking big doses, not several cans of red bull type of thing.  Speaking of Red Bull, Taurine is supposed to be a nice stimulating amino acid, but I've yet to even hear anecdotal reports of it having any effect whatsoever.  By the way MoparGuy, I like the name.  Owned a Chrysler for a good long while, absolute beast.  Switched to imports and sometimes I miss the old tank...

#7 gretl

gretl

• Pip
  • 374 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 07:53 AM

As far as bipolar, there have been some small studies that showed inositol effective against bipolar depression, but also case reports of it triggering mania.  So yep, I'd say that's one to be watched carefully.  Taurine is actually an inhibitory amino acid, regardless of Red Bull marketing, LOL!   From Red Bull - Does It Give You Wings?:
"As I indicated, Taurine acts as a neural regulator. In fact, it is one of those chemicals in our brain that is responsible for a calm positive mood. Perhaps the wings effect is referring to the fact that the Taurine in Red Bull will make you calm and clear-headed. There has certainly been data to demonstrate that Taurine is effective when dealing with stress. Another ingredient that would indicate that the "wings" tag line may refer more to your mental state is the ingredient Inositol. This is another compound that has been shown to have a positive, calming, effect on your mood.
What about an energy boost? In looking at the ingredients, Caffeine certainly jumps out as a major stimulant. Other than that, sugar is always effective at providing a good short-term energy boost. These are probably the main ingredients that will make you more "vitalized.""

I thought this was an interesting article too:  Debunking the Effects of Taurine in Red Bull Energy Drink, looking at the "sports drink" side of things, immediate effect on muscles, blood-brain barrier, difference between RB and a cup of coffee, etc. (click on Download PDF to read the whole thing): 
"The manufacturers claim that drinking Red Bull enhances physical endurance, concentration and reaction speed. The main ingredients of Red Bull include sugar, taurine, glucuronolactone and caffeine.  It is hypothesized that the combinatorial influences of these ingredients are responsible for Red Bull’s proposed effects.  This report critically reviews these claims and concludes that caffeine alone may be responsible for the proposed effects."

Edit: somehow "ff" came out as a non-printing character. - 00T

Edited by null0trooper, 17 November 2005 - 11:37 AM.

<span style='color:green'>Gretchen, BP2; ex-computer-geek; wife to fellow nutjob; mother to two beautiful daughters: 9yo uberspazz and 5yo NT with a blessedly strong personality in her own right!</span>

<span style='color:purple'>What’s so funny ’bout peace love & understanding?</span>
Elvis Costello

#8 Seripd

Seripd

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 01:34 PM

I took 16 grams a day in two 8 gram doses for 6 moths for GAD, it had a noticible positive effect but it end up being more of a pain than it was worth.

#9 Guest_Steph_*

Guest_Steph_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2010 - 12:54 AM

I take inositol in medium large doses. its compounded for me (ie i need a prescription and a special pharmacy makes it). I have found it to be the best working thing for my anxiety so far. I tried GABA a few weeks ago, but I had side effects, so back to inositol.

#10 Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis

The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering.

• Admin
  • 13179 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 03:48 AM

GABA taken orally can't pass through the blood brain barrier so it all passes right out in urine, never doing anything. It's useless as a dietary supplement.

If you're taking inositol, you should consider taking choline as well, or a B complex that includes ample amounts of all of them.

De-gnosis: ADD, recurrent depression (or maybe bpII in the guise of such), Asperger's, OCD, social anxiety
Today's Pill Menu: Dexedrine, Wellbutrin (Budeprion), Strattera, Celexa, Risperdal, and clonazepam

Like other moderators and staff of crazyboards.org, I am not a health care professional. You have no way of knowing that I am not talking out my ass. Please do your own homework before making any health related decisions.

Buy me Stuff: Amazon Wishlist

#11 Simple Milady

Simple Milady

• Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 06:47 AM

I believe, Inositol may be helpful in lowering an individual's cholesterol levels. However, Inositol has been found to be helpful in other areas as well, including the promotion of healthy hair, the prevention of eczema, and as an aid in the redistribution of body fat.
Inositol is also vital for hair growth, and, as a component of lecithin, helps to prevent high cholesterol and the hardening of the arteries caused by cholesterol buildup. It has also been said to have a calming effect on the nervous system, and is being studied as a possible treatment for depression, panic attacks, and even Alzheimer’s disease.

http://www.vitaminst...m/inositol.html

That's where the info was taken from.

-Luna

Edited by LunaRufina, 23 October 2010 - 06:21 PM.
linky

------------------------------------------------
Simple Milady
Have a stress-free life, visit:
Depression Help and Advice

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.