Deplin

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 lotv25

lotv25

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 10:21 PM

I work in healthcare and have BP and noticed a patient was prescribed Deplin with their antidepressant and said she felt better than she had in years. Deplin is supposedly just a form of folic acid, M-methylfolate or something like that... Has anyone heard of it, tried it, know anything about it?

dx: BPII, BPD, GAD with panic, BED.
Rx: Paxil, Risperdal, Xanax as needed, Seasonale, Synthroid, asthma meds.

#2 AirMarshall

AirMarshall

Jumping the CB Shark

• Pip
  • 6686 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 10:47 AM

Hmm, interesting. Yeah, looks like a super-duper megadose Folic acid tablet, available by Rx only. It mentions boosting three different neurotransmitters. That could really screw you up if things go wrong. Definitely not something you want to take without specific approval of your pdoc.

a.m.

**My work is done.  Swimming for the nearest shore.**

#3 Guest_artfully demented_*

Guest_artfully demented_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2008 - 05:45 PM

I work in healthcare and have BP and noticed a patient was prescribed Deplin with their antidepressant and said she felt better than she had in years. Deplin is supposedly just a form of folic acid, M-methylfolate or something like that... Has anyone heard of it, tried it, know anything about it?

It's L- Methylfolate. brand name is Deplin. And it's creators should be given money, awards etc. It's a version of folate that can cross the blood-brain barrier. Some people can take all the folate in the world and their body doesn't have enough of the enzymes required to break it down and absorb it. Since absorbing this is important in the process of creating serotonin and various other neuro transmitters, people with this issue aren't helped enough by serotonin re-uptake inhibitors since they don't have enough of them to start with. This helps "fill your well" so to speak so that the other drugs that enhance the efficient use of neurotransmitters have enough to play with. They tell you it can take up to six weeks to feel the effect but I felt noticably better after 5 days.
Unless you have some sensitivity to B-vitamins there is not really a problem with toxicity since it is a waterbased vitamin and your kidneys eliminate any extras. It may have no effect all for some but for me it was great. I am still having issues with depression but the constant feeling like I had given blood, run a marathon and been beaten with a stick all the freakin time has started to lift. By the time in the day when I normally felt like all I could do was lie back down ( about five minutes after waking up) I actually felt like doing some of the crap around the house I am always yelling at myself for not doing.
I am not a health professional in any way but just a nutty who took organic chemistry. This stuff requires a prescription but even full price (I dont have insurance) its less than $50 at my local retail pharmacy. I am happy to pay it. I had blood tests that showed vitamin deficiencies (B-12, folate and D among others) and regular anti-depression drugs just weren't doing it, so my psychiatrist threw it in the mix to see if would help and it was a godsend. Good luck.

#4 Guest_Cathryn_*

Guest_Cathryn_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2008 - 09:33 PM

My psychiatrist prescribed this for me and I just found out I'm pregnant. Does anyone know if this is still safe to take?

#5 Stars

Stars

• Pip
  • 333 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 12:49 AM

edited

Edited by Stars, 28 September 2008 - 10:15 PM.

#6 Guest_ob nurse_*

Guest_ob nurse_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2008 - 06:41 PM

My psychiatrist prescribed this for me and I just found out I'm pregnant. Does anyone know if this is still safe to take?

;) I work with pregnant women and I have recently had a pregnant patient prescribed Deplin by her obstetrician. She told me that she hadn't felt so good in years.

#7 SunshineOutside

SunshineOutside

Sunshine Outside

• Pip
  • 951 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 08:13 PM

A genius (considered by her peers) neuropsychiatrist recently recommended that I take it for long term severe depression. At the same time I had a complete med overhaul and feel great, almost back to my old self (before you guys knew me) but I don't know how much is due to the Deplin.

I continue to take it, not covered insurance, I pay $45.00 per month.
Meds revised 11/5/2009

Bipolar II,GAD,SA

Current: Lamictal 300mg, Lorazepam 1-1/2 per day. Amantadine, Trazadone 150mg, P, Abilify 7.5mg, Luvox 50Mg, Prozac 40mg.

#8 mj1127

mj1127

• Pip
  • 229 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 02:57 PM

I was just precribed it - too soon to say if it will do anything. I'm willing to give it a try, though, as nothing else seems able to get rid of all the depression since my last episode.
MJ
dx: Bipolar NOS, ADHD, migraine
Rx: Lithium CR 1200mg, Wellbutrin 225mg, Abilify 5mg
, Latuda 20mg, Adderall 20mg BID, Xanax XR .125mg BID
Past Rx: Depakote, Lamictal, Neurontin, Tegretol, Invega, Saphris, Zyprexa,
BuSpar, Dalmane, Klonopin, Adderall XR, Concerta, Ritalin, Ritalin SR, Vyvanse, Anafranil, Elavil, Tofranil, Celexa, Lexapro, Paxil, Prozac, Zoloft, Remeron, Wellbutrin SR, Corgard, Inderal, Ambien, Lunesta, Sonata, probably others

#9 Guest_pam_*

Guest_pam_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2008 - 01:35 PM

I was given Deplin to take alone without depression meds. Has anyone taken it by itself with mood boosting results? I'm on my 5th day.

#10 BjornGlitchy

BjornGlitchy

• Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 08:37 PM

I was also taking Deplin in combination with Seroquel and Wellbutrin. I took it for a few months and did't notice anything new so I stopped talking it. I guess I should give them another shot after the rave reviews they're getting here.
DX: BP2, BPD, Substance Dependence, PTSD, Social Anxiety, GAD, OCD and slow metabolizer (lazy liver)

MEDS: Lexapro 20mg, Seroquel 400mg, Wellbutrin 150mg, Deplin 7.5mg

If neurotic is wanting two mutually exclusive things at one and the same time, then I'm neurotic as hell. I'll be flying back and forth between one mutually exclusive thing and another for the rest of my days. Sylvia Plath

#11 Guest_Guest_Kara_*_*

Guest_Guest_Kara_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2008 - 01:27 AM

This is either the strangest coincidence or Deplin is the wonder drug of all times. I suffer from autonomic disorder and a deficiency of an important hormone. As a result, for a couple years I've been feeling exhausted most of the time, with times of extreme lethargy, including low pulse. A couple months ago my psychiatrist prescribed Deplin for depression, but without any other antidepressants, because I can't tolerate them. He said not to get my hopes up, it's just experimental and won't hurt.

I expected nothing, and I'm still not sure this made any difference with depression. But physically I feel better than I ever have since I got sick with my health issues. I keep thinking it's a fluke and I'll get lethargic again, but I just keep going. No, I'll never be an althlete and run marathons, but my life has changed. I'm still afraid to say Deplin did it, but it's too hard to ignore the timing of this remarkable change. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed it will continue.

If anyone has insight in how this might work to increase energy (in the absence of any other drugs), please let me know. I want to believe this is real.

K

#12 mj1127

mj1127

• Pip
  • 229 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 11:54 AM

I tried it twice for a month each (couldn't afford it in the intervening month) and while it improved my energy level, it did nothing for my depression, and it made my anxiety worse. My pdoc wants me to give it another try (without the 2.5mg of Lexapro I used to take), but it's just too expensive.
MJ
dx: Bipolar NOS, ADHD, migraine
Rx: Lithium CR 1200mg, Wellbutrin 225mg, Abilify 5mg
, Latuda 20mg, Adderall 20mg BID, Xanax XR .125mg BID
Past Rx: Depakote, Lamictal, Neurontin, Tegretol, Invega, Saphris, Zyprexa,
BuSpar, Dalmane, Klonopin, Adderall XR, Concerta, Ritalin, Ritalin SR, Vyvanse, Anafranil, Elavil, Tofranil, Celexa, Lexapro, Paxil, Prozac, Zoloft, Remeron, Wellbutrin SR, Corgard, Inderal, Ambien, Lunesta, Sonata, probably others

#13 Guest_A Savid_*

Guest_A Savid_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:39 PM

I've been on Lexapro (5mg) and Buspar (10mg) for depression and anxiety for a year and started to only get a partial response and experienced severe sexual dysfunction as a side effect. My doctor put me on Deplin 6 months ago and it completely changed my life. It took about 2 weeks to kick in, but I feel like my old self again (pre-depression) and regained my confidence and began to function normally. One weird thing that I need to discuss with my doctor is that about 20 minutes after I took it, I would get so tired, I would have to take a 10 minute nap in the bathroom at work or pull over if I was driving. This stopped after about 6 weeks, not sure what it was, maybe it lowered my blood pressure? So anyway, I recommend it under the supervision of your doctor.

#14 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:45 AM

I'd just like to add my experience to the board. I was taking Wellbutrin and Lexapro for over a year with OK results. When my doctor added Delphin, the difference was so remarkable, I had to call her and thank her. While the first two made me feel as if I was pulled up "out of the water", DELPHIN brought me back to land. I don't get tired anymore in the afternoon, (I'm 49), I wake up without lagging around, I tease my 14 year old son about his lack of energy. Truly, who ever understood the need for, and invented this drug DESERVES the Nobel Peace Prize. Really. I'ts been that good.

-W

#15 bootyj

bootyj

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 12:58 PM

I'd just like to add my experience to the board. I was taking Wellbutrin and Lexapro for over a year with OK results. When my doctor added Delphin, the difference was so remarkable, I had to call her and thank her. While the first two made me feel as if I was pulled up "out of the water", DELPHIN brought me back to land. I don't get tired anymore in the afternoon, (I'm 49), I wake up without lagging around, I tease my 14 year old son about his lack of energy. Truly, who ever understood the need for, and invented this drug DESERVES the Nobel Peace Prize. Really. I'ts been that good.

-W

wow, my Dr just gave this to me yesterday and all the postitive things everyone has to say make me so hopeful. I am on Pristiq now and it just seems like it kinda just slowed down, if that makes sense. He says that most of his patients have had much better luck with this than abilify. (Keeping fingers crossed) and I will update if I notice (or not notice) any improvement

#16 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2009 - 09:07 PM

dear a.m- i know what deplin is supposed to do. i actually take it, now. apparently i do not process folic acid very well, if at all...

i am experiencing some strange side effects and was wondering- side effect or not- why it could really screw you up. clearly you know more about this than i do, and my doc won't call me back- so i was hopng you might be able to explain a bit more about what you meant in your post.

"It mentions boosting three different neurotransmitters. That could really screw you up if things go wrong."

i am curious as to what could go wrong?
thanks so much.
jackie

#17 Guest_Courtney_*

Guest_Courtney_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2009 - 04:40 AM

Hi, I've been on Deplin for approximately 3 weeks now & am still waiting to notice a difference. I'm also taking Prozac. I'm taking 7.5mg & was wondering if that is the dose the rest of you are taking. My dr might increase my dose if we still don't see noticeable results. I'm suffering from PPD/PPA & going through a med overhaul so it's difficult to tell what is working or not.
Thanks,
Courtney

#18 Guest_Maryann_*

Guest_Maryann_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2009 - 10:34 PM

I tried a variety of medications until I got stabilized on my cocktail -- but continued to have recurrant issues with short term memory loss. In my profession that is a real problem (being in the closet as bipolar). My doc prescribed Deplin ... OMG ... it is great and I feel better and my memory is sharp. Can't say enough good things about this "medical food". My doc also said that there is a related med that has a histomine -- that also protects and helps the heart. Will have to track down the name but it works in much the same way that Deplin does. I have been spreading the word at my NAMI groups about this. It doesn't hurt ... and may help.

#19 Guest_shelly_*

Guest_shelly_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2009 - 01:16 PM

Yes. I had the same issue, and it ok.

#20 Guest_chattykathy_*

Guest_chattykathy_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:34 PM

-W

I does make me feel & think better but what about the sleeplessness and the nightmares? Do they go away. I even tke Ambien CR and cannot sleep while taking the Delphin.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.