• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 withing

withing

tired of being tired...

• Pip
  • 3018 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 05:58 PM

Blatantly stolen from this forum(my other favorite time waster), I thought I would ask here, cause y'all have good ideas too, and I'm curious like that.

No more useless ties for dad, candles for mom, picture frames for the sister. We really want to think about gifts that would help a person live better, do something faster, make life simpler. Please suggest an item you have that has become indispensible at home, in the kitchen, for your pet, at the office, etc.

What do y'all think?
`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~
The Past is the textbook of tyrants; the Future the Bible of the Free. Those who are solely governed by the Past stand like Lot's wife, crystallized in the act of looking backward, and forever incapable of looking before. ~Herman Melville, White Jacket
DX: Bipolar (flavor undecided) & various physical stuff
RX: Topamax: 100mg, Seroquel: 200mg, Welbutrin XL: 300

...and then,
Buffy staked Edward.

~~The End~~

#2 tryp

tryp

DBT = Diary Card Bingo

• Inmate
  • 6829 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 06:20 PM

My plug-in kettle and a really large tea mug ;)

Dx: Complex PTSD
Tx: Lamictal (250) + prazosin (7.5) + "therapy"

#3 scatty

scatty

The only way out is through.

• Pip
  • 3955 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 06:34 PM

Plastic bag dispenser. I have an obsession with reusing bags for trash. My family thinks it's a riot, but hey, the things have handles that easily tie up our bathroom/bedroom/living room trash.

Dx:
Bipolar I & Anxiety.  Self diagnosed cunt.

My New (old) Meds: (previously these kept me the most stable)
Lithium ER 1350 mgs.
Lamictal 200 mgs.

Klonopin 2 mgs.

Practicing CBT, DBT, and ACT self-help therapy.

Crazy since the 80's!

#4 tryp

tryp

DBT = Diary Card Bingo

• Inmate
  • 6829 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 06:37 PM

Oh yeah, and my big whiteboard calendar. That thing has saved my ass about a million times.

Dx: Complex PTSD
Tx: Lamictal (250) + prazosin (7.5) + "therapy"

#5 reddog

reddog

• Pip
  • 1780 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 07:02 PM

my Handi-helper (part thin spatula, part cutter)
several tea strainers on hand (not just one)
really thick shea butter hand cream
really thick, insulated long hot mitts
3 words to save the economy: Gay Bridal Registry.
And, really, legalizing gay marriage is the right thing to do.

#6 bluelikejazz

bluelikejazz

• Inmate
  • 2585 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 07:05 PM

I have the most amazing orange peeler that I won at a tupperware party. I'll see if I can find it online later.

PMDD, PTSD and MDD.

rx: Amitryptaline 125mg Seroquel XR 100mg, Lithium 750mg.

I'm not a mental health professional but I am a pretty awesome amateur (talk to an actual pro rather than taking my advice)

#7 NewMe

NewMe

Neurotics build castles in the air, psychotics live in them, psychiatrists collect the rent

• Pip
  • 398 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 07:52 PM

collectionsetc.com is a great place to buy cheap gifts

there are these really nifty voice recognition alarm clocks at Rite Aid for $9.99

I went to Forever21 and spent $15 and bought 4 things for my SIL (make up case, mirror compact, manicure set and a necklace)

A gift card to a coffee shop

Coin counter banks are $10 at Rite Aid/CVS

Portable razor thin shaver set is $13 at Avon.com

http://www.mcphee.com this is a really cool website with funny and useful gifts that are cheap

I used to be "normal", but then I got better!

Insanity is a perfectly rational response to an insane world.

th_images28.jpg I may be able to get out of this hole

#8 resonance

resonance

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 2834 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:21 PM

Electric blanket

Digital watch with three alarms, a timer, and a chronograph

Edit: oops, I missed the $10-20 bit.

Kitchen scissors
More socks

Edited by resonance, 01 December 2009 - 08:47 PM.

#9 danceintherain

danceintherain

• Pip
  • 1082 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:33 PM

yoga DVD
although they mention candles as not being the ideal, i have to admit that aromatherapy stuff is high on my list
bipolar I ish. Used to have some ptsd-like crap, but that's resolved.

current RXs: Ativan (1 mg), Lamictal (300mg, split); WellbutrinXL (150mg); geodon (20mgs w/ food). Also levothyroxine (75 mcg), levosertralizine, and
birth control.

Past Rxs: zoloft (like a sugar pill); lexapro (hit an akathesia problem or something else nasty like that); seroquel; ambien; sonata (all worked at different points in time, just changed for different reasons); effexorXR (wonderful for helping to yank me out of an episode; stopped after a few years b/c it seemed to be causing some agitation).

#10 fluffybirdie

fluffybirdie

• Pip
  • 444 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:48 PM

Oh yeah, and my big whiteboard calendar. That thing has saved my ass about a million times.

Hells yea!!! And if you can find one that is half white board and half cork board, even better!! Never lose those scripts again ;)

#11 Anna

Anna

• Inmate
  • 4003 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:01 PM

I dunno what it's called, but my brother got it for me from sharper image.

It's a base and 5 blinking, alarming things, that you can attach to things you commonly misplace-- car keys, cellphone, etc. You then sound the alarm, as it were...

Very nice for the ADHD.

Anna
BP I, Most Recent Episode Depressed, like suicidally depressed.

Currently on: neurontin,. seroquel, tienaptine, NAC, lithium, temazepam, latuda, provigil, a bunch of health meds/supps to deal w/ s.e. of crazy meds. (metformin, armour thyroid, Vit B 12 shots, magnesium, the list goes on, sigh, I feel like an OLD person, heh). Yeah, i am on a lot of crazy meds.

Revenge Strategist Extraordinare since 2011... Yes, you may contact me for services/ideas.

#12 olga

olga

Life is better when you bring home a furry pal

• Inmate
  • 10731 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:02 PM

My bird identification book. (circa 1972) It is so much fun to look up birds you don't know.

I know I'm a nerd. heh

olga

PS If you have older people on your list, get them a jar-opening gadget. I have a good one if you would like me to take a picture of it. Arthritic hands really have trouble opening jars.

Edited by olga, 01 December 2009 - 10:04 PM.
added PS

I'm bossy, opinionated, and over 60, so be prepared for advice if you post a question. However, I am not a medical professional, so please consult a doctor about your mental health issues and medications.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Be with someone who ruins your lipstick---not your mascara.

#13 Latin Girl

Latin Girl

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 777 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:04 PM

Medication and Chanel lipstick - well lipstick and lipgloss a few dollars more but worth it.

Edited by Latin Girl, 01 December 2009 - 10:06 PM.

Life is sexy, lick it while you can!!!!!!

#14 withing

withing

tired of being tired...

• Pip
  • 3018 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 12:06 AM

I actually have a little $9 alarm clock that I bought in 1994 and it's traveled *everywhere* with me. It's put up with a lot of abuse, and it's one of the things I stuffed in my bag when I left Virginia. I love that alarm clock, but I can't find anything like it anymore, so I hope it lasts forever. It's just a little digital alarm clock that acts as a flashlight if you hit the snooze button. That is the one thing that's changed my life.

I like the idea of a jar opener too.
The Past is the textbook of tyrants; the Future the Bible of the Free. Those who are solely governed by the Past stand like Lot's wife, crystallized in the act of looking backward, and forever incapable of looking before. ~Herman Melville, White Jacket
DX: Bipolar (flavor undecided) & various physical stuff
RX: Topamax: 100mg, Seroquel: 200mg, Welbutrin XL: 300

...and then,
Buffy staked Edward.

~~The End~~

#15 crtclms

crtclms

Queen of Ergots

• Inmate
  • 9152 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 01:44 AM

Used navy Doc Martens mary janes (eBay)

silicone spoonula (lots of places)

Le Creuset Silicone prep bowls (lots of places, I got mine at Whole Foods)

insulated reusable shopping bags (mine are from Trader Joe's)

Dx: Bipolar 1; GAD; Migraine w/ Aura; Migraine w/o Aura; Renal Tubular Acidosis (caused by Zonegran); Status Migrainosus
Rx: Alprazolam; Botox; Buproprion; Dihydroergotomine via IV Infusion; Flexeril; Lamotrigine; Latuda; Lithium; Metoclopramide; Midrin; Migranal; Potassium Citrate; Prilosec; Promethazine; Riboflavin; Tizanidine; Verapamil; Vitamin D3
Currently Shelved: Abilify; Amerge; Anaprox; Atenolol; Buspar; Cafergot; Cymbalta; Depakote; Di-Hydro-ergotamine, injected; Gabapentin; Geodon; Imitrex Tablets; Klonopin; Maxalt; Namenda; Nortriptyline; Norvasc; Propranolol; Prozac; Risperidone; Relpax; Sansert; Sumatriptan injectables; Tegretol; Trazadone; Zoloft; Zolpidem; Zomig; Zonegran

Affectations can be dangerous. -Gertrude Stein

I moderate Bipolar, Panic/Anxiety, Dissociative Disorders, Migraine, Seizures, Not Otherwise Specified, Anticonvulsants, Side Effects, Family Feud, and I Still Have Issues. Remember, I am not a medical professional. PM me if you have any questions

#16 recoverymouse

recoverymouse

• Pip
  • 528 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 02:34 AM

My dog Bingo. He cost me $13.47.

#17 grousemouse

grousemouse

Be calm, move on.

• Pip
  • 1305 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 03:03 AM

lithium or chocolate. good chocolate.

In latest news, the Italian entry for this year's Eurovision Song Contest, "I Can't Get No Contraception", has been withdrawn from the competition after the Pope advised them to pull it out at the last minute.

Source: Not The Nine O'Clock News.

#18 karuna

karuna

Lady Fanackerpan

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 3785 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 05:30 AM

I pay less than that for my meds each month, so I'd go with that ;)

Or my heatable wheat bag. That keeps me warm. My filofax, which I got on sale. Headphones for my Ipod. Potato peelers. That's about it.
Life shrinks or expands in proportion to ones courage : Anais Nin

'The attainment of wholeness requires one to stake one's whole being. Nothing less will do; there can be no easier conditions, no substitutes, no compromises': Jung

DX: borderline personality disorder/bipolar/psychosis/trauma history
RX: Lithium and Seroquel

I have a blog at:

http://dedicationtor....wordpress.com/

Feel free to come leave input, read and heckle!

#19 lysergia

lysergia

ripping off the bootstraps

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 3522 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:28 AM

an empty journal with a pretty cover
a gift card for a restaurant/coffee/pastry/whatever shop
a magic bag (i recommend everyone have five of these things)
oddly-coloured thumb drives
movie tickets
interesting coffee mugs (or interesting coffee)

REALLY good thread as my family is again practicing a $25 limit for everyone no matter what - after a few years it gets harder to think of new cheap ideas.

current dx:

BPII, DDNOS, major anxiety issues, PTSD issues (now subclinical), ED issues (recovered anorexic), auditory/visual/tactile hallucinations

current rx:

bupropion XL 300 mg, clonazepam 3 mg, zopiclone 7.5 mg, synthroid 0.15 mg (supplements: D3, B12, Omega 3)

download.jpg

#20 Persephone

Persephone

• Pip
  • 222 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 10:19 AM

electric pencil sharpener
garlic press
pill organizer
nice soap
gift certificate to a book store
great chocolate
Dx: MDD, history of anorexia and bulimia
Rx: Effexor 300mg, Trazodone 100 mg, Lorazepam 0.5 mg prn
Past Rx:
SSRIs: Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, Lexapro
SNRIs: Effexor, Cymbalta
other ADs: Serzone, Wellbutrin, Remeron
MAOIs: Parnate, Nardil
Mood Stabilizers: Abilify, Lithium, Lamictal
Other: Cytomel, several sleep meds

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.