Constant singing in my head

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 badhairday

badhairday

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:57 PM

I think this problem just might drive me over the edge.
Every waking moment of my life I am singing in my head. Unless I am talking to someone, typing this page or watching TV I am singing in my head. This may go on for several seconds before I even realize I am doing it. It can be a recent song or jingle I've heard or any random song and it's only a short verse of the song over and over. When I try and concentrate on something else to stop it as soon as my concentration wanes there I am singing again. If I wake in the middle of the night I takes me quit a while to fall back to sleep because of the singing.
I have no explanation for this and can't seem to find a way to deal effectively with it. I do have a concern that a period in my life that I experimented with the drug ecstasy may be coming back to haunt me. Does anybody have any thoughts about this annoying problem....condition?

#2 survivor

survivor

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 234 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 04:43 PM

Sometimes I get an annoying song in my head that I heard on the radio.

I can't stop the song as it replays itself over. I would like to fire that dj in my head.

The only thing I can do to stop it is to play another song on the stereo.

What you are describing almost sounds like voices, but it is your own voice singing that you are hearing clearly.

Sortof?

Edited by survivor, 17 December 2009 - 05:25 PM.

#3 Anna

Anna

• Inmate
  • 4003 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 11:38 PM

Sounds like either intrusive thoughts (OCD like stuff) maybe mania type stuff, or some sort of a hallucination. Yeah, I guess I just narrowed it down for you a LOT.

But, have you told a doctor about this? Have you tried anything to make it stop (meds or otherwise?) What other clusters of symptoms do you have?

Because, it sounds extremely annoying, and if it were me, I would want to do something to make it stop.

Anna
BP I, Most Recent Episode Depressed, like suicidally depressed.

Currently on: neurontin,. seroquel, tienaptine, NAC, lithium, temazepam, latuda, provigil, a bunch of health meds/supps to deal w/ s.e. of crazy meds. (metformin, armour thyroid, Vit B 12 shots, magnesium, the list goes on, sigh, I feel like an OLD person, heh). Yeah, i am on a lot of crazy meds.

Revenge Strategist Extraordinare since 2011... Yes, you may contact me for services/ideas.

#4 badhairday

badhairday

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 12:20 PM

Sounds like either intrusive thoughts (OCD like stuff) maybe mania type stuff, or some sort of a hallucination. Yeah, I guess I just narrowed it down for you a LOT.

But, have you told a doctor about this? Have you tried anything to make it stop (meds or otherwise?) What other clusters of symptoms do you have?

Because, it sounds extremely annoying, and if it were me, I would want to do something to make it stop.

Anna

These are no hallucinations. It is all too real I am singing. I don't feel comfortable talking to my 65 year old Dr. about this, I just can't imagine him thinking it was anything more than I can't get a song out of my head. It certainly is not that. Yeah I've had a stupid little jingle from time to time that I just heard go over and over in my head but this is not like that at all this just doesn't last a few hours this is constant and can be any song or a number of different songs all the time. No other symptoms and yes it is EXTREMELY annoying, in fact it is somewhat troublesome.

#5 Guest_Brigitte_*

Guest_Brigitte_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2010 - 11:50 AM

I think this problem just might drive me over the edge.
Every waking moment of my life I am singing in my head. Unless I am talking to someone, typing this page or watching TV I am singing in my head. This may go on for several seconds before I even realize I am doing it. It can be a recent song or jingle I've heard or any random song and it's only a short verse of the song over and over. When I try and concentrate on something else to stop it as soon as my concentration wanes there I am singing again. If I wake in the middle of the night I takes me quit a while to fall back to sleep because of the singing.
I have no explanation for this and can't seem to find a way to deal effectively with it. I do have a concern that a period in my life that I experimented with the drug ecstasy may be coming back to haunt me. Does anybody have any thoughts about this annoying problem....condition?

I have had this same problem for years. What you describe is exactly the same as what I am doing, and I mean exactly. It makes me want to scream. I have no idea how to stop this. Have you talked to a Dr. about this?

#6 DKnight

DKnight

• Pip
  • 155 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 05:30 PM

It's definitely an OCD symptom, as when I was diagnosed I had the same problem. But just because you have that doesn't mean OCD is a problem for you.

I often wondered if it was a way to block out other annoying thoughts like a defense mechanism.
Effexor ER 300mgs, ativan1mg, seroquel 50mgs, restoril prn

#7 Guest_chellebeville_*

Guest_chellebeville_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2011 - 04:38 PM

Hi

I've had this problem for years too. I am a singer and especially when I'm rehearsing for a show or learning a song then I wake up singing in my head at 3am and it takes hours to get back to sleep. I have tried relaxing my body from toe to head but its a mind thing not a tense muscle thing. sometimes it works to create a story and picture myself walking somewhere calm through trees and fields, smelling flowers etc on other occasions I do this and find I'm singing!!! Its a tough one because i think its a skill to learn to empty my head. Perhaps I'll practise for a few minutes a day when I'm not struggling to get back to sleep, then hopefully it will build up to working at night!!

#8 SUEzie

SUEzie

Level Headed Mess

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 525 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:26 PM

I used to do this a lot (I've got OCD. It got annoying, when it was a song I didn't even like that well, that kept on repeating & repeating & repeating.)

It went away (or almost, still do it a little under stress, but it's not near as bad) when my P-doc raised the level of my anti-depressants (which can be very therapuetic for OCD.)

-suzie

Edited by suzie, 16 January 2011 - 10:26 PM.

Curremt DX: MDD (major depressive disorder), severe OCD.

Past DX's - Only 1 of them accurate: Primordial SZ (Schizophrenia), BPD, Bipolar 2, "Adjustment disorder", GAD (generalized anxiety) and lots of depression.

Current RX: 40 mg daily of citalopram (generic Celexa), 300mg daily of Buproprion XL (generic Wellbutrin), occasional 5-10 mg of generic Ambien (aka Zolpidem) for sleep.

Pst RX's: Name a tri-cyclic anti-depressant. Mellaril, Stelazine, ECT, Serzone, Librium, Klonopin, Buspar, Lithium, Lexapro, and I forget what else.

"Hope is the thing with feathers -
That peches in the soul.
And sings the tune, without the words
And never stops at all."
- Emily Dickinson

#9 kitthekitten128

kitthekitten128

• Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 02:09 PM

I sort of have that problem, at least when I am trying to fall asleep. I get the saddest song I can think of and can't stop playing it in my head. I hate it because I am not sad yet it will drag me down. Music very much affects me!
-Kit the Kitten-

#10 Gearhead

Gearhead

The Iguana In a Room Full of Rabbits

• Inmate
  • 1944 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 04:13 PM

I don't have OCD, but I sure as hell have this problem, and it is one of my absolute least favorite symptoms. It is totally insanity inducing. It's a form of intrusive thought, I think: unwanted, distracting, and undismissable. I now treat it with my trusty AAP, Seroquel, when it gets to what I refer to as a "clinical level tape loop."

People think this sounds funny, but it's life-wrecking. I can't sleep. It's like having someone taunting me 24-7.

Bipolar I, sports fans. Autism spectrum. With just un soup├žon of migraine...Crazy, but not irrational.

Give us this day our daily meds: 150 lamotrigine, 75 topiramate, 150 Seroquel XR, 100 Seroquel IR, 12.5 Ambien CR,
60 mgs Cymbalta

4000 i.u. Vit. D3
Azelastine nasal spray 2x/per nostril 2x daily
Etodolac 400 mgs 2x/daily and Votaren Gel 2 grams 2x/daily for joint pain NOS

Cyclobenzaprine and Midrin PRN

Past, failed attempts: Effexor XR, Celexa, amitriptyline, Depakote, escitalopram, Geodon, klonopin, ativan, bupropion, busipirone, lithium, trazodone, Lunesta, Rozerem, gabapentine, mirtazapine, Wellbutrin, Temazepam, Sonata

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world: indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. -Margaret Mead

#11 mdh83

mdh83

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:07 AM

i have this really bad too and i dont know whats causing it i have certain parts of songs re looping in my head over over and over again non stop like a broken record any one have any insight on this? PLEASE HELP!!!!

#12 mdh83

mdh83

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:10 AM

me and my brother was going down the highway and it started all of a sudden and we was not listing to any music

#13 Wooster

Wooster

"I need a drink and a peer group." -Ford Prefect

• Admin
  • 6204 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:55 AM

Having songs repeat over in our minds is, alas, such a common phenomenon that it's not generally considered abnormal, thus the slang term "earworm." 

The wikipedia article actually has some good citations for this.

It's possible that the song repetition could be more related to OCD or a neurological problem. However, that seems to be likely only if it's taking over so much of your brainspace that it gets in the way of doing other things, rather than being an annoyance.

Edited by Wooster, 24 May 2013 - 10:58 AM.

Boards I mod on: self harm, panic/anxiety, ptsd, ocd, dissociative, sleep, not otherwise specified, benzos, lifestyle alternatives, therapy, health care system

Current meds: 60# golden retriever service dog, (swellbutrin, klonipin for sleep)

*disclaimer--Nothing I write should be construed as professional advice or creating a therapeutic relationship.*

Hurray! I *finally* figured out how to correct my starting weight on MFP!
21850981.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

#14 mdh83

mdh83

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:05 PM

ok thank you should i get a mri?

#15 Wooster

Wooster

"I need a drink and a peer group." -Ford Prefect

• Admin
  • 6204 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:26 PM

Unfortunately nobody here is qualified to answer that question.  Determining if an issue is primarily neurological vs primarily psychiatric in nature requires face to face evaluation by qualified health care providers.

A good place to start would be your primary care provider and ask for a referral if needed.

Boards I mod on: self harm, panic/anxiety, ptsd, ocd, dissociative, sleep, not otherwise specified, benzos, lifestyle alternatives, therapy, health care system

Current meds: 60# golden retriever service dog, (swellbutrin, klonipin for sleep)

*disclaimer--Nothing I write should be construed as professional advice or creating a therapeutic relationship.*

Hurray! I *finally* figured out how to correct my starting weight on MFP!
21850981.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

#16 Luna-

Luna-

Pharmaceutically Enhanced

• Pip
  • 602 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:05 PM

I get this when I an in poor shape mentally. It won't be full songs, just short phrases but  they will repeat compulsively, over ,over and louder until i feel i am loosing my mind. It goes with anxiety and depression, so when those are treated then it goes away. It's a good indicator that a phone call to the pdoc is warranted, but i am always stumped at to what to say - everyone gets tunes stuck in their head so how do i explain it? i'm already a  bit of a basket case  by that time.

Bipolar 1, hypothyroid

Meds: Lamictin 400mg, Wellbutrin 300mg, trazodone 200mg, benzo prn (sleep), thyroxine 0.2mg

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass. - Anton Chekhov                                                                              

#17 sonicwhite

sonicwhite

The great unknown

• Pip
  • 1135 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:05 PM

I did XTC atleast 300 times and before I went thru a psychosis and was always spitting out tunes with my mouth. As soon as I got over the psychosis I stop..but the singing in my head did not. It gets pretty annoying really when your going thru a spike and your anxiety is up and the jingle makes you more anxious. I think it has alot to do with drugs...as long as it's not making you trip out and do weird stuff then you just have to love yourself and accept it.

Diagnosed Drug Induced Psychosis...ADHD.....OCD.....Cannibas Psychotic Disorder..GAD.....Major Depression disorder-recurrent...Severe, Bipolar I....Migraines, Cluster headaches.... .

Gabapentin...600 mg once a day....Effexor XR 75 mg.....Risperdal...4 mg..... clonazepam 1 mg twice daily. Seroquel 200 mg once at night.....Prilosec 20 mg in the morning......Inderal 60 mg ER one in the morning. Remeron 45 mg once at night. Naratriptan 2.5 PRN .....Lyrica 75 mg 3x daily....Paxil 40 mg....Prazosin 2 mg......

The sun is a round window into the city of gold.

#18 mdh83

mdh83

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:35 PM

well i was taking hydrocodone for pain but it was  small does and then i quit and then a few days later is when the songs started it seems like its a tick in my brain making the tunes lol

#19 mdh83

mdh83

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:37 PM

well i was taking a small dose of hydrocodone a little while before this started but i had been off of them a few days by the time this started im not sure if something could be wrong with my brain.

#20 mdh83

mdh83

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:41 PM

acccept what? i never had this before lol

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.