My neurotransmitter test results from NeuroScience

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 sunburnt22

sunburnt22

• Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 06:00 PM

I received back my neurotransmitter results from NeuroScience. Wow. I think I am the most chemically depressed person in the world. Even while being on 10 mg of Lexapro, and 1 mg of Xanax at nighttime, here are my significant numbers...

Epinephrine 6.4 (optimal is 8-11)
Norepinephrine 21.3 (optimal is 35-45)
Dopamine 51.2 (optimal 125-175)
Serotonin 60 (optimal 125-175)

The lab then recommends specific dosages, taken in phases, of various supplements such as...

Adrecor, which includes Rhodiola rosea extract, N-acetyltyrosine, L-methionine, Vitamins B and C
Travacor, which includes 5-HTP, L-theanine, Taurine, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12
Balance D, which includes Vicia faba, N-acetyltyrosine, N-acetylcysteine, Vitamin B6

I have several questions:
1) Has anyone had success or known anyone with success using both this test and this type of treatment regimen?
2) Should I trust the lab and my doctor (Dr. Michael Cantwell, MD, MPH) who are telling me it's okay to combine these supplements with my current meds (Lexapro, Xanax, and occasional Ativan)?
3) If these supplements had any validity at all, why would they not be multi-million dollars sellers as people are constantly searching for ways to feel better emotionally and mentally with "natural" supplements?

P.S. Please don't suggest other psych meds as I've done so many of them, at various dosages for the last 12 years. I'm trying to go in a new direction. Nothing else has worked. Thanks ;)

#2 Mayteana

Mayteana

Normal is just a setting on the washing machine.

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 1397 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 06:09 PM

The lab then recommends specific dosages, taken in phases, of various supplements such as...

Are the things they recommend... stuff that the lab also sells?

~ May

When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? Perhaps to be too practical is madness. To surrender dreams - this may be madness. To seek treasure where there is only trash. Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.

-Don Quioxite, The Man of La Mancha

#3 beetle

beetle

• Pip
  • 804 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 06:20 PM

I never realized there was a test for neurotransmitter levels. What was it like a blood test or something? If that's the case then everyone who sees a pdoc would be given an easy peasy test to determine what neurotransmitter they're deficient in and then Rx meds accordingly.
In other words, I kinda doubt the validity of a test like this but maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it's something cutting edge that I've never heard of...anywhere.
Dx:
"My working Dx is Bipolar. Yes, there seems to be some HFA traits." ~my pdoc
Possibly BP II ~a Psy.D

Rx:
AM Wellbutrin XL 300mg, Ritalin LA 30mg, Klonopin .5mg,
PM Geodon 160mg, Klonopin 1mg

Dx past: BP NOS w/ schizoid tendencies, Double depression, MDD or something
Rx past: Lithium+prozac, tegretol+paxil, effexor+wellbutrin, lexapro, cymbalta, provigil,
zoloft+ strattera, abilify (twice)+wellbutrin, lamictal+wellbutrin, risperdal, trileptal and a dash of xanax and klonopin

#4 Artemisia

Artemisia

• Pip
  • 1006 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 06:30 PM

Is this a blood test? Honestly, I don't think it's likely to be relevant. (Someone, please, correct me if I'm wrong.) If anything, you'd want to know the levels of specific neurotransmitters in specific parts of your brain. And of course such a test would be too risky and invasive to do in humans.

I really don't know how your blood levels (if it's blood you got tested) of neurotrasmitters correlate to what's actually in your brain... Serotonin, for instance, is used in your intestines a lot. I don't know how--if at all--it correlates with blood levels of serotonin or with serotonin levels in your brain...
The Relevant Basics:

Diagnosis - Depression
Current psych meds - sertraline; zolpidem PRN

#5 beetle

beetle

• Pip
  • 804 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 06:33 PM

Is this a blood test? Honestly, I don't think it's likely to be relevant. (Someone, please, correct me if I'm wrong.) If anything, you'd want to know the levels of specific neurotransmitters in specific parts of your brain. And of course such a test would be too risky and invasive to do in humans.

I really don't know how your blood levels (if it's blood you got tested) of neurotrasmitters correlate to what's actually in your brain... Serotonin, for instance, is used in your intestines a lot. I don't know how--if at all--it correlates with blood levels of serotonin or with serotonin levels in your brain...

Yeah, what you said.
Dx:
Possibly BP II ~a Psy.D

Rx:

Rx past: Lithium+prozac, tegretol+paxil, effexor+wellbutrin, lexapro, cymbalta, provigil,
zoloft+ strattera, abilify (twice)+wellbutrin, lamictal+wellbutrin, risperdal, trileptal and a dash of xanax and klonopin

#6 Stormienite

Stormienite

• Pip
  • 156 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 07:18 PM

You know the old saying... if it's too good to be true..
325mg lamictal
90mg pamelor
2mg niravam
60mg prevacid

#7 noob-leech

noob-leech

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 220 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 07:24 PM

This is junk science designed to sell supplements.

We've had threads on this before.

Isn't this kind of like those "fitness" tests I had when I first subscribed to a gym? They set their equipment to their HIGHEST level, then the results said that I'm fat beyond repair and I need to at least hire a personal trainer, dietitian, etc., which costs like $2000, so that they can do their "business" with another customer.

Heck, even Scientology has their "stress tests" too.
Dx: MDD; GAD;
Rx: Venlafaxine XR 450 mg PO QAM; Atenolol 25 mg PO BID; Zopiclone 7.5 mg PO QHS
Tx: CBT; MBCT; DBT

#8 sunburnt22

sunburnt22

• Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 08:14 PM

Yes, you all bring up many good points...

To answer the questions that have been raised...

-it is a urine test (done after fasting of course)
-I'm an extremely skeptical person but I have had the test 3 times over the last 5 years, and I will admit that the results have shown to be quite "accurate" in the sense that the numbers have really mimicked my symptoms almost to a tee. For example, the first time I did the test years ago, I was on no meds, and my serotonin was absurdly low, and I definitely felt not even functional. Then a couple years later I took it while on Lexapro, and my serotonin had more than doubled (but my level was still far below optimal), and that is about how I felt. I can go into greater detail with regards to my numbers/symptoms but want to keep it brief here.
-I never used the supplements they (or this particular doctor) recommended because I always used the results to try to adjust my regular pharmaceuticals. Since that has not helped one bit, that is why I'm on to trying either regular use of benzos, or these supplements sold by NeuroScience that seem like they can't possibly work.

#9 tryp

tryp

Bawk Bawk Therapy Cranes!

• Inmate
  • 6898 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 08:21 PM

I still don't know that urine levels are correlated with brain levels. And synaptic function is more complicated than gross NT levels anyway.

Dx: Complex PTSD
Tx: Lamictal (250) + prazosin (7.5) + "therapy"

#10 sorrel

sorrel

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 965 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 08:38 PM

Even in the BRAIN, levels of neurotransmitters have not been correlated with mood.

There is nothing harmful in those supplements although some of them are a little odd (fava bean?) and I'm sure they're overpriced. But hey, if that's what you want to try, try it.

#11 SashaSue

SashaSue

Vulpes Bipolaris

• Pip
  • 4565 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 08:56 PM

Fava beans apparently contain a precursor to dopamine.

I wouldn't bother with this stuff, personally. But I don't think it would make anything any worse.
Dx: Bipolar I, ADHD<br />
Rx: Seroquel, 800mg, Lamictal, 150mg, Effexor, 325mg, Wellbutrin, 450, Dexedrine ER, 60mg

#12 recoverymouse

recoverymouse

• Pip
  • 528 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 09:03 PM

I still don't know that urine levels are correlated with brain levels.

maybe the correlation only applies to dickheads! Posted Image

#13 gizmo

gizmo

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it.

• Pip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 11:34 PM

I wasn't aware that neurotransmitters were shedded through the brain in such a way that they are filtered through the body, into the kidneys, and then into the urine. Remember, those kidneys can only filter certain things - that's how they are made. In my opinion, if the test isn't given the blessing by the AMA (I'm in the US), it doesn't count.

I know you are going to do what you want to do, but please don't set your heart on the items these people sell you on fixing you. That's just setting yourself up for failure, and deeper depression in the long run. These people may truly believe in their product, but ask if they have a money-back guarantee for their products. If they do, that should offer you a way to try their products a try with a way out if (and likely, when) they don't work.
Diagnosis: BP I with Psychotic Features, GAD, ADHD, Chronic Migraines, various physical stuff.
Meds Currently On: Depakote 2000 mg, Risperdal 8 mg, Latuda 80 mg, Prozac 60 mg, Vyvanse 70 mg, Propranolol 40 mg BID, Klonopin 2 mg BID PRN
Meds Sort-Of Mental Related: Lipitor 40 mg, Zofran 4 mg PRN, Fioricet PRN, Stadol PRN, Botox received on 8/16/13

I post on an iPhone, so please forgive grammatical errors or strange word inclusions. It's the auto correct!

#14 Stormienite

Stormienite

• Pip
  • 156 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 11:43 PM

Personally, I think it's total BS with this but I did watch this news show a year or so ago that they have this test now for bipolars. It's an MRI basically but it shows the parts of your brain that's being affected by it totally. So they can get the perfect meds for you. At that time though it was really expensive and insurance wouldn't cover it. No idea if it ever would but wouldn't it be amazing to actually see your problem? To have it medically documented with an MRI? Wow. I wish I had access to it.
325mg lamictal
90mg pamelor
2mg niravam
60mg prevacid

#15 sunburnt22

sunburnt22

• Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 04:57 AM

This is why I love these boards because everyone here shares my healthy level of skepticism. That is why for the life of me, I can't figure out how this test could assess neurotransmitter levels at 3 different points in my life over a span of 5 years that almost match exactly my symptom profile. Especially since each time taking the test my symptom profile was significantly different and completely UNKNOWN to the lab.

I believe the supplements they sell are complete BS, but I'm having trouble discrediting a test that has been so accurate for ME. It may be neither here nor there, just food for thought...

Edited by sunburnt22, 20 December 2009 - 04:58 AM.

#16 Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis

The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering.

• Admin
  • 13250 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 01:00 AM

I've had really accurate horoscopes a tarot card readings.

De-gnosis: ADD, recurrent depression (or maybe bpII in the guise of such), Asperger's, OCD, social anxiety
Today's Pill Menu: Dexedrine, Wellbutrin (Budeprion), Strattera, Celexa, Risperdal, and clonazepam

Like other moderators and staff of crazyboards.org, I am not a health care professional. You have no way of knowing that I am not talking out my ass. Please do your own homework before making any health related decisions.

Buy me Stuff: Amazon Wishlist

#17 Persephone

Persephone

• Pip
  • 222 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 01:41 AM

Sunburnt - let me guess, the symptoms they described were stuff like fatigue, trouble sleeping, anxiety, and concentration problems? Those sorts of symptoms are of the type that everybody has, even people without MI. As VE mentioned, this is how horoscopes and tarot card readings work. Say something vague like "You are having problems in an important relationship in your life", then everybody will figure out someway it relates to them.

I took a Social Psychology class in college, and somebody did a study on this phenomenon. Any psych majors who know who did this study or can flesh out the details, please join in. Students were told that their astrological charts were done, and they were given a written report of the analysis. They were asked to rate how accurate the report was. Almost everybody rated it highly.

What the students didn't know was all the reports were identical. Human beings are really good at seeing patterns, even when there are none.
Dx: MDD, history of anorexia and bulimia
Rx: Effexor 300mg, Trazodone 100 mg, Lorazepam 0.5 mg prn
Past Rx:
SSRIs: Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, Lexapro
SNRIs: Effexor, Cymbalta
other ADs: Serzone, Wellbutrin, Remeron
MAOIs: Parnate, Nardil
Mood Stabilizers: Abilify, Lithium, Lamictal
Other: Cytomel, several sleep meds

#18 beetle

beetle

• Pip
  • 804 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 09:18 AM

Oh yeah, I meant to ask... was this test actually ordered by your pdoc? Or was it something you just did on your own and s/he's simply saying it's OK to take the herbs?
I'd be a little wary of a doctor who would order this test. But that's just me.
Dx:
Possibly BP II ~a Psy.D

Rx:

#19 Guest_Mazal_*

Guest_Mazal_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2010 - 06:22 PM

I received back my neurotransmitter results from NeuroScience. Wow. I think I am the most chemically depressed person in the world. Even while being on 10 mg of Lexapro, and 1 mg of Xanax at nighttime, here are my significant numbers...

Adrecor, which includes Rhodiola rosea extract, N-acetyltyrosine, L-methionine, Vitamins B and C
Balance D, which includes Vicia faba, N-acetyltyrosine, N-acetylcysteine, Vitamin B6

1) Has anyone had success or known anyone with success using both this test and this type of treatment regimen?
2) Should I trust the lab and my doctor (Dr. Michael Cantwell, MD, MPH) who are telling me it's okay to combine these supplements with my current meds (Lexapro, Xanax, and occasional Ativan)?
3) If these supplements had any validity at all, why would they not be multi-million dollars sellers as people are constantly searching for ways to feel better emotionally and mentally with "natural" supplements?

P.S. Please don't suggest other psych meds as I've done so many of them, at various dosages for the last 12 years. I'm trying to go in a new direction. Nothing else has worked. Thanks ;)

Radiola Rosesia might increase your serotonin levels. I dont think its a good idea to combine hollistic medicine with prescribed medications. You dont want to end up with too much serotonin. I've been taking perika st.John's wort for the past several weeks. You can order it on [edit]. It has great reviews, and you can ween off your prescribed meds.Good luck

Edited by rowen, 10 July 2010 - 10:38 PM.
removed website reference

#20 bpladybug

bpladybug

Your friendly bipolar Aunt

• Pip
  • 4570 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 07:14 PM

A urine test is showing what the body excretes. Which of course is different from the neurotransmitters in our brain. I recognize a number of the supplements. For example my doctor suggested Rhodiola. It is very well known. I did not actually like it but it should not be dangerous. 5-HTP precursor to Serotonin. Lots of people take that. I have taken something similar - L-Trytophen which lifts mood, again working with my doctor. And many people take the b vitamins, Vit. D, and Taurine. This does not look very radical to me.

Well it help your depression? Who knows? Since your doctor is involved I would try it. But don't have an enormous hope that this will be a miracle cure. You might be very disappointed. I think alternative care is an adjunct to medication. I hope this helps you.

ladybuglove.jpg

'Mania is a dangerous Mistress.' BPLadybug

Bipolar 1
Treatment: 900 mgs Lithium, 900 mgs Neurontin, 400 mgs Seroquel, Xanax prn, Temazepam, fish oil, vitamins, Vit. D 5, 000 IU, exercize, some talk therapy and CBT Therapy. Exercize helps as does the Light Box; 30 mins every morning. I also have physical health challenges.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.