Anyone on Saphris?

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 ellipsisdream

ellipsisdream

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:29 AM

My doc prescribed Saphris for me a couple of months ago and it was the final med in my cocktail that seemed to finally bring me to a place of stability. I felt the difference within about 2-3 days. It was as if someone focused the lense on my camera and it seemed to bring my marginal stability we had found into a sharper focus. It has been a miracle for me.

I just wondered if anyone has tried this drug, and experienced any effects. There is such limited info available out there with it being so new. I am hopeful that this stability lasts and that we finally "got it" with my cocktail for the long term....

Edited by ellipsisdream, 09 January 2010 - 09:29 AM.

#2 Anna

Anna

• Inmate
  • 4003 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:12 AM

Some people tried it on another board I post at, the consensus seemed to be that it either worked extremely well, or was rather worthless and some folks liked it but had to quit due to side effects (movement stuff, I seem to recall?)

Anyway, I'm glad it's working well for you. It's always nice to have another med to try....

Anna
BP I, Most Recent Episode Depressed, like suicidally depressed.

Currently on: neurontin,. seroquel, tienaptine, NAC, lithium, temazepam, latuda, provigil, a bunch of health meds/supps to deal w/ s.e. of crazy meds. (metformin, armour thyroid, Vit B 12 shots, magnesium, the list goes on, sigh, I feel like an OLD person, heh). Yeah, i am on a lot of crazy meds.

Revenge Strategist Extraordinare since 2011... Yes, you may contact me for services/ideas.

#3 Guest_mdert_*

Guest_mdert_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2010 - 03:22 AM

My doc prescribed Saphris for me a couple of months ago and it was the final med in my cocktail that seemed to finally bring me to a place of stability. I felt the difference within about 2-3 days. It was as if someone focused the lense on my camera and it seemed to bring my marginal stability we had found into a sharper focus. It has been a miracle for me.

I just wondered if anyone has tried this drug, and experienced any effects. There is such limited info available out there with it being so new. I am hopeful that this stability lasts and that we finally "got it" with my cocktail for the long term....

I've been on AD meds for 15 years. In the fall, I began a really bad major depressive episode. I was taking Cymbalta w/Ability and Vyvance. So we tried a Pristiqe/Abilify combo. It did nothing but give me the runs. Then tried Zoloft/Abilfy, hoping to get some effectiveness out of a past AD med I used. Nothing... I was a pityful mess by December. Then tried the new Saphris (as a mood stabilizer) and Paxil. After about 4-5 days, Wham, I was up and running. Never have I had such a fast and complete return to sanity! I think the Saphris has more to do with it than the Paxil.

Yes, the Saphris does make you a little sleepy right after taking it. But if your busy, you really won't notice it. I take 10 mg twice a day. It does taste bad in you mouth, but you get over it. I've been labelled treatment resistant since I've been on and gone through most AD medications. I'm just so happy I found something that makes me feel almost 100%. I haven't felt this good in years.

I'm excited to hear more from this group about Saphris, like how does it really work?

Edited by null0trooper, 13 January 2010 - 12:52 AM.

#4 Guest_koali777_*

Guest_koali777_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2010 - 11:48 PM

This was really encouraging to read. Saphris is my 5th antipsychotic I've tried. Do any of you have mental blocks on it though? On Geodon, even though it worked well, I had to get off cause I couldn't think or read or find pleasure in things anymore. Saphris makes me feel balanced and happy, but I don't want to have to get off because I can't do anything again (I had to quit school and my job for awhile, and now I've been back for a little over 6 months...don't want to lose that).

#5 flightsoffancy

flightsoffancy

• Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 04:36 PM

I'll be starting saphris on Sat so I'll let you know how it goes. Need to get the seroquel out of my system.

#6 Maddy

Maddy

Shadow of nothing

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 3970 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 02:35 PM

I just started taking Saphris.
It tastes like french fried hell.
The mouth numbing/burning sensation isn't fun either.

Other than that, it's ok so far. Nothing great nor horrible but I've only been on it for 3 days at 5mg in AM and PM.

I <3 my meds!
DX: undifferentiated schizophrenia
RX: Fanapt, Topamax, Ativan, Celexa

Past RX: Paxil, Prozac, Zoloft, Lexapro, Remeron, Strattera, Trazodone, Lamictal, Neurontin, Depakote, Lithium, Vistaril, Buspar, Clonidine, Tegretol, Gabitril, Keppra, Depakene, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Haldol, Abilify, Saphris, Adderall, Valium, Primidone. I know there are others I've forgotten over the years.
Boards I mod: Schizophrenia & Various Psychoses, Hormone & Glandular Problems, any others as needed.

#7 Cetkat

Cetkat

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe..

• Pip
  • 3255 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 12:17 PM

So I just ran across this and am wondering how everybody has faired with Saphris since they started taking it.

Did you discontinue? What symptoms did it help with? Did the sedation go away or lessen? Anything else worth mentioning?

_ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _

Dx: Major Depression w/ Dysthymia, Panic Disorder, GAD, ADHD, Fibromyalgia
Pdoc's Theory Dx: Bipolar NOS (MDD with BP traits w/o hypo or mania)
Rx : Emsam 12mg/24hr, Strattera 80mg, Lyrica 150mg, Armour Thyroid 120mg (2 gr), Zofran prn, Nadolol prn, Xanax prn, Methocarbamol 750mg prn, D3 4,000IU
EXRx : Zoloft, Seroquel, Wellbutrin, Prozac, Lithium, Lamictal, Remeron, Lexapro, Abilify, Zyprexa, Geodon, Cymbalta, Paxil, Sonata, Lunesta, Effexor, Metadate, Risperdal, BuSpar, Ambien, Invega, Tegretol, Nortriptyline, Desipramine, Deplin, Neurontin, Concerta, Trazodone, Mirapex, Amitriptyline, Saphris, Prestiq, Requip

I do whatever my rice krispies tell me to.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"OK so cheese is trapped, so you can't have cheese." - MDK
_ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _. _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _

#8 Guest_shell_*

Guest_shell_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2010 - 12:11 PM

I've been on AD meds for 15 years. In the fall, I began a really bad major depressive episode. I was taking Cymbalta w/Ability and Vyvance. So we tried a Pristiqe/Abilify combo. It did nothing but give me the runs. Then tried Zoloft/Abilfy, hoping to get some effectiveness out of a past AD med I used. Nothing... I was a pityful mess by December. Then tried the new Saphris (as a mood stabilizer) and Paxil. After about 4-5 days, Wham, I was up and running. Never have I had such a fast and complete return to sanity! I think the Saphris has more to do with it than the Paxil.

Yes, the Saphris does make you a little sleepy right after taking it. But if your busy, you really won't notice it. I take 10 mg twice a day. It does taste bad in you mouth, but you get over it. I've been labelled treatment resistant since I've been on and gone through most AD medications. I'm just so happy I found something that makes me feel almost 100%. I haven't felt this good in years.

I'm excited to hear more from this group about Saphris, like how does it really work?

#9 Guest_shell_*

Guest_shell_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2010 - 12:18 PM

My 16 yr.old daughter has schizophrenia. She has been on almost all of the antipsychotic meds, nothing so far has helped her. She was diagnosed at age 7. She is on geodon for the hundredth time. I would like to try Saphris. What is the bad taste and burning in mouth people are mentioning? Does it make you gain weight? Does it cause insomnia? Please help. Thanks , Shell.

#10 Maddy

Maddy

Shadow of nothing

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 3970 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 12:42 PM

This is a first person site. But I will give a review of Saphris anyway since it was brought up and I never came back to update this thread:

For me the mouth numbing never went away but the burning did after about a week. It always tasted like hell to me but apparently it doesn't taste bad to everyone. Also keep in mind I'm on Topamax and that may factor into it. Topamax tends to make everything taste bad to me. I ended up having to quit it because of EPS but I really *REALLY* didn't want to stop taking it. Saphris pulled me out of a hellish depression, stopped the A/V hallucinations and helped with my paranoia and was one anti-psychotic that I tolerated quite well. Didn't cause insomnia, made me drowsy during the day for the first week or so but after that I was ok. It was a really good AAP for me.

Keep in mind YMMV as always.

I <3 my meds!
DX: undifferentiated schizophrenia
RX: Fanapt, Topamax, Ativan, Celexa

Past RX: Paxil, Prozac, Zoloft, Lexapro, Remeron, Strattera, Trazodone, Lamictal, Neurontin, Depakote, Lithium, Vistaril, Buspar, Clonidine, Tegretol, Gabitril, Keppra, Depakene, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Haldol, Abilify, Saphris, Adderall, Valium, Primidone. I know there are others I've forgotten over the years.
Boards I mod: Schizophrenia & Various Psychoses, Hormone & Glandular Problems, any others as needed.

#11 vanderk

vanderk

Thimk!

• Pip
  • 873 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 01:10 PM

A quick update about Saphris. I learned recently about an interesting facet about this med. For those who try to circumvent the less-than-minty fresh tast and swallow the sol tab, the bioavailability is diminished by something like 80%. It might be interesting to poll those for whom it was a wash in terms of effect.

I just don't want to be the one to ask: Do you swallow it?
I believe in everything, nothing is sacred.
I believe in nothing, everything is sacred.
Ha ha, ho ho,and hee hee.

The Chink

#12 DarkendHour

DarkendHour

My reality check bounced

• Pip
  • 732 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 11:24 PM

both my pdoc and tdoc told me some people said it was "a bit icky"............ a bit icky doesn't begin to describe the teared up eye, gaging twisted face I get when trying to take that stuff!!!! (not over dramatizing my reaction the least bit... but I have a hard time even taken pills with a bad taste)

Within half an hour to an hour I simply can NOT stay awake after taking it.... my best friend actually watched this happen one day... wide awake when taking it... her having to leave because I couldn't stay awake.

One reassuring thought though is that they are in the works to add flavoring to this......... um shouldn't you have thought of this BEFORE putting it on the market???

I haven't been on it long enough to really get the benefit side yet... and my lovely mind is just thinking conspiracy with this med... "they are just using it to see if patients are really taking their meds, anyone who takes it will complain."
Dx - depends on who you ask. Schizoaffective Bipolar type -or- Paranoid Schizophrenic. Some times PTSD or Generalized Anxiety, again depends on the person you ask.

Rx - Burpropion HCL XL (generic for Wellbutrin XL) 150mg 2xday, Perphenazine (Generic for Trilafon) 4mg 2xday

#13 Guest_Luca_*

Guest_Luca_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2010 - 11:24 AM

Some people tried it on another board I post at, the consensus seemed to be that it either worked extremely well, or was rather worthless and some folks liked it but had to quit due to side effects (movement stuff, I seem to recall?)

Anyway, I'm glad it's working well for you. It's always nice to have another med to try....

Anna

Well after two weeks it doesn't seem to be working for my son. He is yelling at the voices constantly, stuttering, has tons of body movement, and is difficult to talk to. My opinion is that it's a freakin' nasty piece of melt in your mouth chemical that does nothing!!! ;)

Edited by null0trooper, 12 May 2010 - 10:39 PM.

#14 Guest_Lori_*

Guest_Lori_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2010 - 09:55 PM

My daughter just started on Saphris and I have noticed that she is way more tired, and unmotivated. I am concerned,
She is taking Abilify and Zoloft, and has just started taking Saphris.
It seems to make her tired all the time, and all she wants to do is sleep every chance she gets.
I also noticed, she is gaining weight, but I am not sure which medication is causing the weight gain.
Has anyone taken this combination before?

#15 Guest_suzanne_*

Guest_suzanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2010 - 12:26 PM

i have been on saphris for about a month now. the horrible taste gets better after i eat a yogurt. it goes away, along with the numbness of the tongue. the only side effect i really see is that my boobs have increased 1 cup size, i am hoping this goes away too, but to no avail. overall, the pill has been a miracle for me. the voices went away totally, i have not had any success with the other meds i tried. this was my last resort. i am thrilled to say i am voice free after about 20 years or so. praise God!! ;)

#16 Guest_suzanne_*

Guest_suzanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2010 - 12:29 PM

A quick update about Saphris. I learned recently about an interesting facet about this med. For those who try to circumvent the less-than-minty fresh tast and swallow the sol tab, the bioavailability is diminished by something like 80%. It might be interesting to poll those for whom it was a wash in terms of effect.

I just don't want to be the one to ask: Do you swallow it?

NEVER SWALLOW THIS PILL!!!

#17 novoman

novoman

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 11:01 PM

TO OFFSET THE BAD TASTE of Saphris: get mouth dry, using a tissue under tongue to dry it and remove tissue, place med under tongue toward the back and don't move your mouth or tongue for 5 min. The drug will absorb, it sublimes or melts, it does not need to dissolve with saliva There are no taste buds under the tongue, and if you keep saliva from under there it will not reach the taste buds on the sides of the tongue. This takes a little practice but it works.

#18 Guest_Suzanne_*

Guest_Suzanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2010 - 08:48 PM

this drug has worked wonders for me too. ;) i can happily say i no longer hear voices. as for side effects, my tongue goes numb for a while after takign this pill. however, the worst side effect is that my boobs keep getting bigger and bigger, so far i went up 1 cup size, but this bra is geting too small again. if i had the choice of being voice free vs. makign my boobs stop growing, i will definitley choose the voice free option. i wish you luck! :)

#19 Smile4532

Smile4532

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 10:46 PM

I've been taking Saphris for probably about 6 months now. My husband said he could tell a difference almost immediately. I've been diagnosed as bipolar. The bad taste and numb tongue are no biggie and I've found that if you take a drink right before taking the med it dissolves much faster. My moods are definitely better than before I was on it, but I still think there's room for improvement. However, I'm finding myself skipping doses quite frequently because 1) it's much easier to get up in the morning w/o it and 2) it knocks me out immediately and I put it off until the very last minute and I end up falling asleep before I take it. I'm starting to have a really hard time getting up in the mornings. I end up going back to bed after I send my family off for about 30-45 minutes because I'm just sooo tired and am starting to be excessively late to work in the mornings. So, I have a lot on my plate for tomorrow and want to get up early, so I'm skipping it tonight. I take 10 mg and I've tried to break it in half and only take about 5 mg, but the same results. I've been trying to get up early in the mornings to get stuff done around the house, but I just can't, I feel like such a failure. I go back to the Dr. in a couple of weeks, obviously I'll be raising my concerns there, but I'd like some input from people w/ experience.

#20 Bribarian

Bribarian

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 380 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 12:34 AM

the only side effect i really see is that my boobs have increased 1 cup size, i am hoping this goes away too, but to no avail. .

huh?
Panic Disorder/OCD/GAD/Recurrent Depression

Lexapro 20mg, Seroquel 50mg, Zyprexa 5mg, Ativan 1 mg PRN

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.