• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Überpolarbear

Überpolarbear

i second LunaRufina's member title.

• Pip
  • 377 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 12:38 PM

when i was in the ward, i noticed that many of the psychotic patients had a very weird sort of glance (eyes basicly. is that the right word?)
i was then basicly convinced that i could tell psychotic people from nonpsychotic by looking in their eyes fairly easily.
the eyes (to me) basicly look a bit angry, very vigilant and they stay the same regardless to the emotions being expressed (or being tried to express).
NOW. i was trying to make a decent pic of myself to put on facebook (which was a totally futile attempt) and i noticed I EXACTLY have the same eyes. and then i looked at my older picks from like two years ago and the eyes were quite normal at that time. which is confusing to me because at the time the old pics where made i was in a much worse shape than today. and wait. something else was different too! I weren't on meds! particularly not on the currently huge dose of Zyprexa.

so i'm basicly wondering:
1. have i become psychotic or generally sicker without noticing?
2. Is this CAUSED by antipsychotic medication and i was an asshole thinking that psychotics look this way because of their illness?
3. have you ever noticed that the eyes of the psychotic people look weird or am i making this stuff up?

cheerz
polar bear

edit:
ok i just found something. it rather sais eye contact and gazing is not a predictor for whatever but at least someone docs have came up with my idea.
go there and scroll up to eye contact. http://books.google....ia gaze&f=false

here is a rather crappy and biased compressed version for the lazy.
...poor eye contact ... criterion for affect flattening. ....he found.... both schizophrenics and depressive spenr a significantly smaller proportion of their time gazing at the intervierwer....they found schizophrenics amount of direct gazing to be slightly more than normals...the important discriminator of schizophrenics from normals in this sturdy was not the absolute amount of direct gazing ... but the inconsistency between the pattern of gazing and the intended affect.....NO direct evidence about the relation of eye contact to affective flattening (DUH!)...does not exclude the pissibility that a subsample of schizophrenics, those with flat affect, might exhibit aberrant gazing behaviours, that is, gaze aversion or EXCESSIVE STARING (now that's what i was talking about)

Edited by Überpolarbear, 28 January 2010 - 06:19 PM.

"humor is therapy" (Viktor Frankl)
Diagnosis: [/size][/size]bipolar ultradian rapid cycling, schizophrenia NOS, being a pervert. Yes. this is bipolar. fuck the docs who say i'm schizo. ok maybe it's schizo, Clearly Schizoaffective disorder. Spooky shit!
meds: Lithium 675mg, valproic acid (generic depakote) 1200mg, Clozapine 300mg, Trazodone 50mg, Zyprexa 20mg, Carbamazepine 600mg, lamictal 50mg, valproate (generic depakote stuff) 1750mg Seroquel 600mg (soon to be 800 probably). Zyprexa 30mg, Solian (Amisulpride (AAP)) 600 mg, Lyrica 150mg, Topamax 150mg
, lamictal 25mg

#2 Swamp56

Swamp56

• Pip
  • 819 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 12:46 PM

Maybe what you are noticing is other psychotic patients being very vigilant because of paranoia.
Dx: Schizoaffective Disorder (Bipolar Type), OCD, Anxiety
Rx: Lamictal 200mg, Seroquel 400mg, Klonopin 1mg prn

#3 karuna

karuna

Lady Fanackerpan

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 3785 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 01:49 PM

Okay.

So being in a hospital is stressful. And being psychotic is stressful. And stressed people have stressed expressions. Of stress. Normal, human stress that everyone goes through, including you, now and in the past. So what you assumed you saw (some kind of psychosis eye correlation) is probably just you picking up on stressed body language.
Life shrinks or expands in proportion to ones courage : Anais Nin

'The attainment of wholeness requires one to stake one's whole being. Nothing less will do; there can be no easier conditions, no substitutes, no compromises': Jung

DX: borderline personality disorder/bipolar/psychosis/trauma history
RX: Lithium and Seroquel

I have a blog at:

http://dedicationtor....wordpress.com/

Feel free to come leave input, read and heckle!

#4 Überpolarbear

Überpolarbear

• Pip
  • 377 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 02:04 PM

Okay.

So being in a hospital is stressful. And being psychotic is stressful. And stressed people have stressed expressions. Of stress. Normal, human stress that everyone goes through, including you, now and in the past. So what you assumed you saw (some kind of psychosis eye correlation) is probably just you picking up on stressed body language.

NO. there were depressive patients, patients with bipolar, anorectics, people who could not cope with death of a loved one and all sort of people other than psychotic. they were all grately stressed but ONLY the psychotics had this kind of eyes i explained. and one particular person i knew there was psychotic but absolutely relaxed and nice and polite and all that but he HAD the eyes i described.

and i was once in ANOTHER ward where they didn't accept schizophrenics (all had mood disorder, personality disorders and anorexia basicly) and i didnt see that kind of eyes there once and there were a lot of patients there.

Edited by Überpolarbear, 28 January 2010 - 02:14 PM.

Diagnosis: [/size][/size]bipolar ultradian rapid cycling, schizophrenia NOS, being a pervert. Yes. this is bipolar. fuck the docs who say i'm schizo. ok maybe it's schizo, Clearly Schizoaffective disorder. Spooky shit!
meds: Lithium 675mg, valproic acid (generic depakote) 1200mg, Clozapine 300mg, Trazodone 50mg, Zyprexa 20mg, Carbamazepine 600mg, lamictal 50mg, valproate (generic depakote stuff) 1750mg Seroquel 600mg (soon to be 800 probably). Zyprexa 30mg, Solian (Amisulpride (AAP)) 600 mg, Lyrica 150mg, Topamax 150mg
, lamictal 25mg

#5 LindaNoggin

LindaNoggin

• Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 02:09 PM

I've seen a correlation between people who commit murders and eyes fro watching forensic files on tru tv. The whites of their eyes are visible on the top, bottom, or both. There are other differences but they are too vague.

#6 Überpolarbear

Überpolarbear

• Pip
  • 377 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 02:26 PM

I've seen a correlation between people who commit murders and eyes fro watching forensic files on tru tv. The whites of their eyes are visible on the top, bottom, or both. There are other differences but they are too vague.

ok looked at my pics and thank god i'm at least not a murderer.
I'm quite sure bringing this up in this thread will piss off some people really badly if they are not pissed by my thread already. we are talking about schizophrenics who are most of the time not murderers ;)

ant to the other folks. you are missing the "could it be medication induced" part totally.

Edited by Überpolarbear, 28 January 2010 - 02:29 PM.

, lamictal 25mg

#7 Überpolarbear

Überpolarbear

• Pip
  • 377 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:18 PM

This topic seems rather silly.

I'm not hypothetizing ANYTHING i'm just talking about my personal EXPERIENCE (which could as well be wrong) and i think its a legit topic.

, lamictal 25mg

#8 AnneMarie

AnneMarie

• Pip
  • 4644 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:23 PM

This is a link to [link=http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez/]PubMed[/link]. If there is anything to support what you say, it will be in here. Search. Cite some studies.

I doubt you will find anything because the look of someone's eyes is not a diagnostic tool. It is not a diagnostic tool because the look of a person's eyes can be due to many things and many states of mind or disease can produce similar looks of people's eyes.

The thing about the whites of a person's eyes correlating with violence is urban legend as far as I know. Cite some studies if proposing this is not so.

Bipolar I and ADD

#9 Überpolarbear

Überpolarbear

• Pip
  • 377 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:32 PM

This is a link to [link=http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez/]PubMed[/link]. If there is anything to support what you say, it will be in here. Search. Cite some studies.

I doubt you will find anything because the look of someone's eyes is not a diagnostic tool. It is not a diagnostic tool because the look of a person's eyes can be due to many things and many states of mind or disease can produce similar looks of people's eyes.

The thing about the whites of a person's eyes correlating with violence is urban legend as far as I know. Cite some studies if proposing this is not so.

do you even bother reading the thread before posting? i said i'm talking about my PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. i made that clear as well as in my first post

3. have you ever noticed that the eyes of the psychotic people look weird or am i making this stuff up?

and i said that later too. i'm not trying to PROVE ANYTHING so i dont need to cite pubmed or something. i just posted it to see whether some other people have experienced it too.

and i agree the thing with the murderer and eyes is urban legend so i dont need to prove that either. dont ask me to prove something i didnt say.

and i never said it's a diagnostic tool either. i never said everyone with wierd eyes is schizophrenic. i rather said some people with schizophrenia look in some different way in MY opinion. thats a HUGE difference.

your call

Edited by Überpolarbear, 28 January 2010 - 03:37 PM.

, lamictal 25mg

#10 AnneMarie

AnneMarie

• Pip
  • 4644 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:48 PM

Uber, I guess I just jumped to places. I thought you meant that what you observed was how you thought psychosis appeared. That's why the reference to PubMed. If other people had drawn the same conclusion, there would be studies. It'd be where you could get an answer or find support for you observation. I also said that I didn't think you'd find anything, but I gave the link because I know my knowledge is limited.

The comment on whites of the eyes was not directed to you. It was to the poster who suggested it. I should have made that clearer.

Bipolar I and ADD

#11 Überpolarbear

Überpolarbear

• Pip
  • 377 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 04:39 PM

ok i just found something. it rather sais eye contact and gazing is not a predictor for whatever but at least someone docs have came up with my idea.
go there and scroll up to eye contact. http://books.google....ia gaze&f=false

here is a rather crappy and biased compressed version for the lazy.
...poor eye contact ... criterion for affect flattening. ....he found.... both schizophrenics and depressive spenr a significantly smaller proportion of their time gazing at the intervierwer....they found schizophrenics amount of direct gazing to be slightly more than normals...the important discriminator of schizophrenics from normals in this sturdy was not the absolute amount of direct gazing ... but the inconsistency between the pattern of gazing and the intended affect.....NO direct evidence about the relation of eye contact to affective flattening (DUH!)...does not exclude the pissibility that a subsample of schizophrenics, those with flat affect, might exhibit aberrant gazing behaviours, that is, gaze aversion or EXCESSIVE STARING (now that's what i was talking about)

, lamictal 25mg

#12 mudpuppy

mudpuppy

Gone.

• Pip
  • 1696 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 05:24 PM

Combat Veterans are often noted for having the "thousand yard stare".
Is this anything like what you've seen, Uber?

Posted Image

Lucas Silveira > Lady Gaga

Dx: Combat PTSD, Gender Identity Disorder, Traumatic Brain Injury, ADHD [Inattentive Type]

Rx: Wellbutrin XL 300mg, Buspar 10mg, Adderall 10mg [dose finding trial],
Testosterone Cypionate 50mg Q 10 Days IM, Testosterone Cream 4ml 1% PLO Gel PRN
Dialectical Behavioral Therapy, Gender Therapy, Integrative Psychotherapy

#13 Überpolarbear

Überpolarbear

• Pip
  • 377 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 05:58 PM

Combat Veterans are often noted for having the "thousand yard stare".
Is this anything like what you've seen, Uber?

no not really. the thousand yard stare looks as the person is mentally absent or lost in thoughts or something. the stare i wa was rather interested and direct. maybe too direct. it's the constant same gaze all the time. the weird thing about it is that it stays the same no matter what.

this picture: http://chipmunkapubl...p_image&pID=853 is somewhat what i'm talking about. not exactly but somewhat

Edited by Überpolarbear, 28 January 2010 - 06:08 PM.

, lamictal 25mg

#14 Slicey

Slicey

Absolutely Clueless

• Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:12 PM

I haven't read this whole thread, I'm tired. When my father used to go manic, his eyes would go glossy and almost sparkle. My brother said he saw the same in me when I first cracked up.

I remember his glazed stare...it was fecking scary as a kid!

Edited by Slicey, 28 January 2010 - 08:19 PM.

Haven't been given solid diagnoses. I get paranoid / depressive / anxious
Dissociate a few times day, feels like I'm stoned or in a movie...mind goes blank.

Rx: Solian 200mg twice daily (amisulpuride), Citalopram 60mg, Clonazepam 2mg, Thyroxine 50

Past Meds: Epilim, lamictal, ritalin

Socially retarded )-:

#15 NailFlower

NailFlower

Being Sane Feels Good

• Pip
  • 596 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 01:17 AM

Uberpolarbear

I know exactly what you mean, you are talking about the crazy eye. I call it the crazy eye and I have noticed it in other crazy people and others have seen it in me when I experienced severe psychosis. It's like a bugged out stare but the expression is flat, and yes the eyes do sparkle.
Dx: SD, PTSD, anxiety
Rx: various meds
MI Acceptance 101
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am the Red Queen
"Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place.
If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!"

#16 Raquin

Raquin

• Pip
  • 387 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 12:45 PM

If the whites of the eyes are true, then for reasons of public stafety, I should be locked up ;P

When I was in the mental hospital, I saw what you saw and what the commentor above referred to as Crazy Eye. I chaled it down to either medication or they were in extreme psychosis. I don't know. My brother has it, but he's an ex-drug addict. It's weird, I can't explain it. It's very unnerving though. It's definitely not the same as the thousand yard stare mudpuppy refrenced, or the look McKey was saying people she has.

Of course this is all anecdotal. If I see some one with crazy eyes, I know that doesn't necessarily mean that they are crazy. And not all crazy people have it! So yeah, it's just interesting to talk about.

Now when I was in the mental hospital, one of my friends there was a carribean schizophrenic trans (M to F) crack-addict with not only Crazy Eye, but a Lazy eye as well. That was quite a trip. I miss her actually. She and my roommate at the time protected me while I was in there and made sure I was OK. I have a feeling both are dead now. OK, now I'm depressed.

Sorry, I totally hi-jacked the thread.
"All writers of confessions, from Augustine on down, have always remained a little in love with their sins."-ANATOLE FRANCE

#17 Guest_Drugz_*

Guest_Drugz_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2010 - 02:48 AM

Kind of off topic, but kind of related...when i started taking meds for my illness especially the anti psychotics my mom would comment that my eyes look dead. Like they lost the life from them and even some of my family noticed it too and said something to my mom about it. So idunno if it's legit or not, but medication did seem to change something in my eyes. Now that i'm off them my mom says they are starting to look back to normal.

#18 Pamito

Pamito

Happy on my meds :)

• Pip
  • 332 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 11:07 PM

When I am acutely ill, I get the crazy eye. Definitely agree that they sparkle, and appear distanced. To me, it really exists.

When I am on meds, my pupils take up a bigger space than normal, at the moment my pupils are massive, thanks to meds... so my eyes can't win! They look weird whether I am psychotic or medicated.

DX'd Schizoaffective

Taking Seroquel 1000mg, Solian, Remeron, and Effexor. With a dash of Clonazepam and Diazepam on bad days.

#19 Guest_Guesstagain_*

Guest_Guesstagain_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2010 - 07:14 PM

Uberpolarbear

I know exactly what you mean, you are talking about the crazy eye. I call it the crazy eye and I have noticed it in other crazy people and others have seen it in me when I experienced severe psychosis. It's like a bugged out stare but the expression is flat, and yes the eyes do sparkle.

Yes yes yes! I have seen this too!

#20 LunaRufina

LunaRufina

Creating and embracing drama since 2004.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 4377 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 02:25 PM

SO I'm like way late to the party and maybe someone already asked this, but did you go around with a clipboard and verify everyone's diagnosis?

"...what you spend years building may be destroyed overnight.
Build anyway.

People really need help but may attack you if you do help them.
Help people anyway.

Give the world the best you have and you'll get kicked in the teeth.
Give the world the best you have anyway.”

― Kent M. Keith, The Silent Revolution: Dynamic Leadership in the Student Council"

Midway

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.