Biting my tongue in my sleep

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Billyboyboo

Billyboyboo

• Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 11:29 PM

Is it a Seizure when you bite your tongue in your sleep?
I've done this before.

Billy.
DX: Schizophrenia, Epilepsy, PTSD, Panic and Anxiety disorders.

B.

#2 NailFlower

NailFlower

Being Sane Feels Good

• Pip
  • 595 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 01:10 AM

it could be, but it could just be from a nightmare you don't recall. I used to bite my tongue in my sleep all the time. it was part of my PTSD. You'd have to see a neuro doc to determine for sure if you are having seizures. does anything at all happen to you like that when you are awake?
Dx: SD, PTSD, anxiety
Rx: various meds
MI Acceptance 101
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am the Red Queen
"Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place.
If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!"

#3 mudpuppy

mudpuppy

Gone.

• Pip
  • 1696 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 02:02 AM

It could be.

Or, it could be bruxism, which is a common side effect of many psych meds.  My gf often bites her tongue and the inside of her cheek at night when she bruxs.

I just wake up with a mouth full of grit, aka teeth particles.

Lucas Silveira > Lady Gaga

Dx: Combat PTSD, Gender Identity Disorder, Traumatic Brain Injury, ADHD [Inattentive Type]

Rx: Wellbutrin XL 300mg, Buspar 10mg, Adderall 10mg [dose finding trial],
Testosterone Cypionate 50mg Q 10 Days IM, Testosterone Cream 4ml 1% PLO Gel PRN
Dialectical Behavioral Therapy, Gender Therapy, Integrative Psychotherapy

#4 nalgas

nalgas

Please go stand by the stairs so I can protect you.

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 2121 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 10:24 AM

Or, it could be bruxism, which is a common side effect of many psych meds.

Exactly what I was thinking. I have never bit my tongue in my sleep because of having seizures, even when I was having them on a regular basis. I have routinely and repeatedly bit my tongue (and lips, and cheeks, and...) in my sleep as a result of grinding my teeth.

#5 Billyboyboo

Billyboyboo

• Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:40 AM

Last night I bit my tongue twice in my sleep, it woke me up, this is getting more frequent, I don't know if I'm having a Partial seizure or not.

I know people do bite their tongue in their sleep who are not Epileptic, but I need to monitor this.
I'm afraid of biting a chunk or my lip, as I have also bit down on my lip.

Maybe the Lamictal needs to be upped, I'm going to ask the Doc today, I cannot take Keppra or Tegretol...
(BAD) for me.

Has anyone else experienced tongue biting?

Thanks, B.
DX: Schizophrenia, Epilepsy, PTSD, Panic and Anxiety disorders.

B.

#6 dumdum

dumdum

• Pip
  • 134 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:05 PM

Last night I bit my tongue twice in my sleep, it woke me up, this is getting more frequent, I don't know if I'm having a Partial seizure or not.

I know people do bite their tongue in their sleep who are not Epileptic, but I need to monitor this.
I'm afraid of biting a chunk or my lip, as I have also bit down on my lip.

Maybe the Lamictal needs to be upped, I'm going to ask the Doc today, I cannot take Keppra or Tegretol...
(BAD) for me.

Has anyone else experienced tongue biting?

Thanks, B.

You're taking a pretty low dosage of Lamictal...but I thought you were on 7,000 mgs. of Keppra? (that's a LOT)! Definately speak w/your neuro. about the tongue biting. I've bitten mine but mostly I decide to have a "snack" and munch on the insides of my cheeks. Rinse your mouuth w/warm salt water, it may help. I know I've had a nocturnal seizure when I'm all chewed up, have a killer pain over my right eye and sometimes I, er, lose bladder control.

Talk to your doc!
Best wishes,
Sheila
Outta nowhere, Hallo! Grand Mal seizure-10/2005. DX Temporal Lobe Epilepsy--What the crap is up with that?

My Braincandy; Keppra 3,000mgs/Lamictal XR 300 mgs./Topamax 300 mgs., Effexor 150 mgs.; the occasional Ativan (0.5 mgs) when the complex partial seizures just won't friggin STOP & I don't feel like goin' all Grand Mal. Malls suck. I hate shopping.

#7 nalgas

nalgas

Please go stand by the stairs so I can protect you.

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 2121 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 01:45 AM

I thought you were on 7,000 mgs. of Keppra? (that's a LOT)!

I must've missed that before. That's not just a lot, that's holy-crap-that's-a-lot. The maximum recommended is 3000, and "The highest known dose of KEPPRA received in the clinical development program was 6000 mg/day."

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.