Vyvanse for Depression

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Petrucci914

Petrucci914

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:10 PM

My psychiatrist put me on Vyvanse a few months ago after trying a ton of medications and having no success. I felt great for a month and after that it just stopped working and put me into a deep, irritable, tired mess of a mood.

He now has me trying it again but told me that when I feel like it has stopped working and I'm becoming irritable to take another dose. He says that it increases the dopamine in your brain and after a while your receptors get overwhelmed and some of them stop firing. Taking another dose should coax those few receptors into firing more and compensating. Sounds like a good concept but I keep reading online about people growing a tolerance to the med. Is that what happened the first time and is there anyway to overcome it?

I had my first dose, in a while, yesterday and I felt great for 4-5 hours, then I got anxious, jittery, and sweaty until bedtime. Then my heart pounded until 4:30 in the morning.....only got about 3 hours of sleep. Today was a little better but I still get that anxious, jitteriness in the afternoon. Will it get better? Should I augment it with an anxiolytic that is a bit sedating to take the edge off? Thanks.

#2 Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis

The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering.

• Admin
  • 13177 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 09:34 PM

The dose may be too high, particularly if you're taking it twice a day.

Vyvanse is pretty much the same thing as Dexedrine which I've been on for nearly 15 years. Developing some tolerance after about a month is pretty standard as is the rebound effects you describe when it wears off.

Take a vitamin B supplement with your morning meal if you don't already. You might also want to try L-Phenylalanine or L-tyrosine supplements. (both are in the CrazyStore in the vitamins and supplements section). They both provide dopamine or an norepenephrine precursors that might help boost the effect if you have tolerance issues.

De-gnosis: ADD, recurrent depression (or maybe bpII in the guise of such), Asperger's, OCD, social anxiety
Today's Pill Menu: Dexedrine, Wellbutrin (Budeprion), Strattera, Celexa, Risperdal, and clonazepam

Like other moderators and staff of crazyboards.org, I am not a health care professional. You have no way of knowing that I am not talking out my ass. Please do your own homework before making any health related decisions.

Buy me Stuff: Amazon Wishlist

#3 Petrucci914

Petrucci914

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 09:56 PM

The dose may be too high, particularly if you're taking it twice a day.

Vyvanse is pretty much the same thing as Dexedrine which I've been on for nearly 15 years. Developing some tolerance after about a month is pretty standard as is the rebound effects you describe when it wears off.

Take a vitamin B supplement with your morning meal if you don't already. You might also want to try L-Phenylalanine or L-tyrosine supplements. (both are in the CrazyStore in the vitamins and supplements section). They both provide dopamine or an norepenephrine precursors that might help boost the effect if you have tolerance issues.

Thanks for the information. He has me on 60mg right now with the authorization of 60mg 2x daily if I experience tolerance issues. Can I open up the pill and ingest half the beads?

#4 Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis

The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering.

• Admin
  • 13177 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 04:18 AM

I don't know enough about that med to say.

I do know that with standard dextro-amphetimine the max recommended dose is 60 mgs a day. Vyvanse doses are supposed to equate to a little bit more than dexidrine doses but 60mgs twice a day might still be over the recomended max. I'll look it up in the morning or you can look it up at rxlist.

De-gnosis: ADD, recurrent depression (or maybe bpII in the guise of such), Asperger's, OCD, social anxiety
Today's Pill Menu: Dexedrine, Wellbutrin (Budeprion), Strattera, Celexa, Risperdal, and clonazepam

Like other moderators and staff of crazyboards.org, I am not a health care professional. You have no way of knowing that I am not talking out my ass. Please do your own homework before making any health related decisions.

#5 Petrucci914

Petrucci914

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:22 PM

I don't know enough about that med to say.

I do know that with standard dextro-amphetimine the max recommended dose is 60 mgs a day. Vyvanse doses are supposed to equate to a little bit more than dexidrine doses but 60mgs twice a day might still be over the recomended max. I'll look it up in the morning or you can look it up at rxlist.

Ya, I don't know about this med. I found out that I could open the capsules so I only did half today (30mgs) and I start off wired, then get really anxious and jittery in the afternoon, and get stressed and overwhelmed easily, and then I'm wired all night. The last time I was on this med the reaction wasn't like this. I think I have some messed up enzymes or something. I called my doctor today about it and, of course, he didn't get back to me. Looks like another med I wasted money on. The pharmacy is going to start thinking that I'm hoarding pills.

#6 Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis

• Admin
  • 13177 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:30 PM

Give it some time.

I do know that generally it's only given out once a day and is supposed to last 8-9 hours.

I wouldn't try breaking the capsules without checking with a doc or pharmacist first.

#7 Petrucci914

Petrucci914

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 08:34 PM

Give it some time.

I do know that generally it's only given out once a day and is supposed to last 8-9 hours.

I wouldn't try breaking the capsules without checking with a doc or pharmacist first.

I looked into it before I opened the capsule and verified that it could be done. You just have put it in a drink and finish it right away - don't store it.

Well, my appetite has come back a bit but I have bouts of indecisiveness, anxiety, and jitteriness. It's weird. It eventually seems to smooth out during the day but then the moment I go and eat something I start having mini panic attacks, nausea, and my heart starts pounding. Something with my enzymes or something? Who knows.

#8 Guest_Barbarita_*

Guest_Barbarita_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2010 - 05:18 PM

Give it some time.

I looked into it before I opened the capsule and verified that it could be done. You just have put it in a drink and finish it right away - don't store it.

Well, my appetite has come back a bit but I have bouts of indecisiveness, anxiety, and jitteriness. It's weird. It eventually seems to smooth out during the day but then the moment I go and eat something I start having mini panic attacks, nausea, and my heart starts pounding. Something with my enzymes or something? Who knows.

#9 Guest_Barbarita_*

Guest_Barbarita_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2010 - 05:33 PM

OMG! It's not you! I have been having the same problem on vyvanse for quite a while now, and today, searching online, I see that it's common. I've been fighting depression and anxiety for years, currently on Lexapro, Buspar, propanolol, ativan PRN, and vyvanse BID. It gives me a temporary semi-high, then 3-4 hours of normalcy/energy, and then I crash, getting jittery, sad, anxious, hopeless, weepy, and have to either take another or take a xanax-like drug and get groggy. And if I take another dose of Vyvanse, a few hours later, I crash again, only the crash is even more severe. And it happens twice every day!
I called my shrink about it b/c I almost feel suicidal sometimes during the bad rebound and he said it was impossible for me to be getting this anxious, crash type reaction from vyvanse after 4 hours or so. However, I now see that I'm not the only one experiencing this and I'm not crazy after all! (well, I AM, but you know what I mean) ;)
Why are the shrinks pushing these stimulants on us when we end up feeling worse after a few hours than we did before we took them? There are going to be suicides related to these drugs. I know it because he put me on Adderall before and I had the same reaction. And it can be extremely severe.
Don't think it's just you. I'm reading people all over the internet getting these anxiety attack and deep depression reactions after taking stimulants. Yikes.

#10 Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis

• Admin
  • 13177 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 07:05 PM

OMG! It's not you! I have been having the same problem on vyvanse for quite a while now, and today, searching online, I see that it's common. I've been fighting depression and anxiety for years, currently on Lexapro, Buspar, propanolol, ativan PRN, and vyvanse BID. It gives me a temporary semi-high, then 3-4 hours of normalcy/energy, and then I crash, getting jittery, sad, anxious, hopeless, weepy, and have to either take another or take a xanax-like drug and get groggy. And if I take another dose of Vyvanse, a few hours later, I crash again, only the crash is even more severe. And it happens twice every day!
I called my shrink about it b/c I almost feel suicidal sometimes during the bad rebound and he said it was impossible for me to be getting this anxious, crash type reaction from vyvanse after 4 hours or so. However, I now see that I'm not the only one experiencing this and I'm not crazy after all! (well, I AM, but you know what I mean) ;)
Why are the shrinks pushing these stimulants on us when we end up feeling worse after a few hours than we did before we took them? There are going to be suicides related to these drugs. I know it because he put me on Adderall before and I had the same reaction. And it can be extremely severe.
Don't think it's just you. I'm reading people all over the internet getting these anxiety attack and deep depression reactions after taking stimulants. Yikes.

Well, obviously the reaction isn't this extreme in everyone or else they wouldn't give them out. Some rebound at the end of a day after a dose wears off is normal. Usually it can be countered by being on an antidepressant or maybe an AP. Feeling suicidal is NOT a normal side effect.

#11 etkearne

etkearne

• Pip
  • 330 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 02:40 PM

I take Adderall in the mix for depression. It has given me those symptoms. Interestingly, when I was bumped higher on Lithium, only the mental stimulation remains from the Adderall. Makes sense, since Lithium has been shown to decrease norepinephrine levels, which would be the likely culprit from the Adderall, as it works on Dopamine, Serotonin, and NE.
Diagnosis- Bipolar Type I - Rapid Cycling, Narcissistic Personality Disorder, Opioid Dependency (in remission)

Present Medications (in total daily dose)- Lithium Carbonate (600mg), Zyprexa (10mg), Suboxone Film (4mg), Efffexor XR (225mg), Concerta (54mg), Klonopin (1-2mg)

Attempts- Imipramine, Amitryptamine, Lexapro, Paxil, Risperdal, Trileptal, Lamictal, Cymbalta, Abilify, Wellbutrin, Seroquel, Adderall

Psychology- Weekly individual therapy, looking to change to new therapist soon!

I recently updated my "About Me" in my profile. If you want to know more about me, please read it.

#12 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:11 AM

I agree on the suicidal part.

#13 kianaaacakes

kianaaacakes

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:22 AM

Vyvanse is a a bit too hardcore for depression, in my opinion. It will DEFINITELY improve your mood during the day, but once you start to crash... your depression will be much worse than it was to begin with. Sure, the crash only lasts a few hours, but if you also get insomnia (which is extremely common, even if you take it really early in the day), then you're stuck with the bad feeling all night and possibly the next day, too, if you don't re-take your meds. With stimulants, the better the "high" during the day, the worse the crash at night.

Also, it makes anxiety worse if it's already a problem for you. However, dosage is very important here. A slight increase or decrease can change the effects a lot, so don't write it off just yet without experimenting with the doses. Don't do it yourself, though. I learned the hard way that taking more than one pill will feel the same except with more side effects and insomnia x.x.

Oh, and on another note: The side effects WILL decrease over time. I promise you. Vyvanse is unique to other stimulants, in that after a couple of says usually most of the effects you can't even feel, but it doesn't mean it's not working.

I called my shrink about it b/c I almost feel suicidal sometimes during the bad rebound and he said it was impossible for me to be getting this anxious, crash type reaction from vyvanse after 4 hours or so. However, I now see that I'm not the only one experiencing this and I'm not crazy after all! (well, I AM, but you know what I mean)

Wow, you are definitely not the only one! Vyvanse is an intense drug! The majority of people who have taken it will agree that it comes with a buttload of baggage.

Edited by kianaaacakes, 07 February 2011 - 08:29 AM.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.