OCD or delusions?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 klingon001

klingon001

• Pip
  • 889 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 09:02 PM

Edited by klingon001, 02 April 2014 - 02:00 PM.

#2 klingon001

klingon001

• Pip
  • 889 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 01:54 PM

Edited by klingon001, 02 April 2014 - 02:00 PM.

#3 Swamp56

Swamp56

• Pip
  • 819 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 08:28 PM

The 1st part sounds like OCD.

If you were afraid that you had hurt someone, then the 2nd part could be categorized into OCD-type thinking. If you truly believed it, then it's possible that it was a delusion. Please note, however, that OCD and psychosis can be intertwined.
Dx: Schizoaffective Disorder (Bipolar Type), OCD, Anxiety
Rx: Lamictal 200mg, Seroquel 400mg, Klonopin 1mg prn

#4 klingon001

klingon001

• Pip
  • 889 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:23 PM

Edited by klingon001, 02 April 2014 - 02:01 PM.

#5 klingon001

klingon001

• Pip
  • 889 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:53 PM

#6 pepperrae

pepperrae

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 02:14 PM

That is something I have brought up with several doctors because some of my obsessions are so fantastical that you'd think you'd have to be psychotic to have them. However, I have been assured that they are OCD. I'm not saying you may not have an underlying psychotic disorder, I noticed you listed schizoaffective disorder as one of your diagonsises (spelling?). But, your fear of harming obsession is so classical you could find it listed in any textbook on OCD. Extremely, extremely common type of OCD with an absolutely classic presentation. They feel real at the time, which is why you would think you were psychotic, but after you have calmed down in your heart you know you don't believe it. You just can't be sure.
Current diagnosis: OCD and peripheral neuropathy
Previous diagnosis: BiPolar (3 doctors told me I had it, 3 said I didn't. I went with the three who didn't.)
Previous meds at one time or another: Prozac 80, Lithium 1200, Depakote 1500, Klonopan 1mg, Abilify 10 mg, Seroquel 150, Geodon 80.
Current meds: Klonopan .5 and about 14 self-prescribed supplements.
I put the 'O' in OCD
Current obsession: Side effects from previous medicines. Sigh.

#7 klingon001

klingon001

• Pip
  • 889 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:25 AM

#8 Guest_Ben_*

Guest_Ben_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:13 PM

hey im not a member at this site by Ive experienced many circumstances just like this. FOr example I will have a violent intrusive thought right before Im about to do somthing or touch someone and then I will think that i actually tried to do somthing bad or hurt someone and I wont be able to actually confirm if I really did it or not. Does that make any sense. Do you experience anything like that.
Please email me at [edited out personal email]
Im desperate for help. OCD IS HORRIBLE!!

Edited by Wooster, 31 January 2013 - 05:59 PM.
public forum is publicly indexed

#9 rowen

rowen

Bringin' Sexy Back

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 1932 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:21 PM

You can be a member of this site and receive PM's from other members. Or post on the forums. I don't see a lot of folks open to disclosing their personal e-mail addresses.
I have been every flavor of Bipolar, and have now come back to Mood Disorder NOS. Heh. Also, OCD and working on AvPD
Old issues: ED NOS
Meds - Lamictal 200mg, Effexor XR 150mg, lithium 900 mg, trazodone PRN, Ativan PRN
Old meds - Lexapro, Remeron, Wellbutrin, Cymbalta/Seroquel, Abilify, Geodon/Ambien, Lunesta, Sonata/Klonopin

May all beings be free from all pain and suffering.

I am not a doctor. Keep that in mind.

#10 Bribarian

Bribarian

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 380 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:41 PM

Hi,

I'm trying to pin down one of my major symptoms that can and has completely impaired my life. My OCD revolves around harm, such as fears that I will harm someone, violent thoughts of harming someone, and even urges to harm someone. I don't think I want to hurt anyone, but my OCD tells me differently. Sometimes I will get a violent thought when I am standing near someone and I will not hurt them, but I will quickly walk away to avoid any chance of ever acting on my thought/urge.

Ok, here's the weirdest part: Later on, after I have walked far away from people in order to avoid hurting them, I believe that I actually did hurt someone after all, and that my memory of avoiding him/her is a false memory, or I just forgot the true memory of actually harming the person in question. I truly have believed many times that I was a murderer, despite tons of evidence to the contrary. Looking back, I realized I've wasted so much time believing I'd done something terrible and waiting to be locked up forever. However, at the time, my beliefs were unshakeable and persisted despite all the evidence that my family/friends/counselor threw at me to try to convince me that I had done nothing wrong.

My questions are: Does anyone else with harm OCD have a symptom like mine (believing something obviously false)? Do you think it's more of a psychotic delusion or just a false belief brought on by excessive anxiety (keep in mind I do have a psychotic disorder as well)?

I am wondering because my pdoc has not said anything about this particular symptom.

I feel for you alien, I have the same thoughts, I was standing behind my father at dinner and I was sure I was going to stab him in the back of the head. I never do these things, but I always think them.

I haven't had it yet to where I was sure I DID do it, but I have heard that people with OCD have that symptom to where they'll turn their car around just to make sure they didn't do it. Not sure if it's psychosis, sounds like OCD, but I'm no doctor.

I think most people with OCD believe things that are false.
Panic Disorder/OCD/GAD/Recurrent Depression

Lexapro 20mg, Seroquel 50mg, Zyprexa 5mg, Ativan 1 mg PRN

#11 bpladybug

bpladybug

Your friendly bipolar Aunt

• Pip
  • 4385 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:32 PM

Hi,

I'm trying to pin down one of my major symptoms that can and has completely impaired my life. My OCD revolves around harm, such as fears that I will harm someone, violent thoughts of harming someone, and even urges to harm someone. I don't think I want to hurt anyone, but my OCD tells me differently. Sometimes I will get a violent thought when I am standing near someone and I will not hurt them, but I will quickly walk away to avoid any chance of ever acting on my thought/urge.

Ok, here's the weirdest part: Later on, after I have walked far away from people in order to avoid hurting them, I believe that I actually did hurt someone after all, and that my memory of avoiding him/her is a false memory, or I just forgot the true memory of actually harming the person in question. I truly have believed many times that I was a murderer, despite tons of evidence to the contrary. Looking back, I realized I've wasted so much time believing I'd done something terrible and waiting to be locked up forever. However, at the time, my beliefs were unshakeable and persisted despite all the evidence that my family/friends/counselor threw at me to try to convince me that I had done nothing wrong.

My questions are: Does anyone else with harm OCD have a symptom like mine (believing something obviously false)? Do you think it's more of a psychotic delusion or just a false belief brought on by excessive anxiety (keep in mind I do have a psychotic disorder as well)?

I am wondering because my pdoc has not said anything about this particular symptom.

I have had a lot of exposure to OCD and the OCD Foundation. Gone to lots of support meetings. This is definitely OCD. The best treatment is Cognitive Behaviorial Therapy with an expert therapist. I don't think it is a psychotic delusion. It is an OCD rumination. I am so sorry that you suffer from this. www.beckinstitute.org

ladybuglove.jpg

'Mania is a dangerous Mistress.' BPLadybug

Bipolar 1
Treatment: 900 mgs Lithium, 900 mgs Neurontin, 400 mgs Seroquel, Xanax prn, Temazepam, fish oil, vitamins, Vit. D 5, 000 IU, exercize, some talk therapy and CBT Therapy. Exercize helps as does the Light Box; 30 mins every morning. I also have physical health challenges.

#12 nicole

nicole

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

I dont know if anyone will respond to my comment as it has been over two years since the original post.

In the past month and a half, I have expierenced severe OCD- harming thoughts etc.

Everyday I wake up cycling through the same thought pattern.. it;s exhausting and quite frankly scary.

I am a bit concerned because when I first went to my doctor I told her I was feeling anxious all the time but didnt get into the details of why.. I gave her an example of when my dad told me not to turn onn the inside lights because it might electricute him outside and I worried about that so much/obsessed.

She put me on Celexa 20 mg.. I have been on it for a month.. but I feel like my obsessions are getting worse.. or at least becoming somewhat delusional. One replacing another.

Does anyone have suggestions for medications for my OCD thoughts/delusions that have worked for them?

It makes me feel so alone.

#13 Wooster

Wooster

"I need a drink and a peer group." -Ford Prefect

• Admin
  • 4666 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:58 PM

Cognitive behavioral therapy... I know I say this a lot... but learning how to challenge my thoughts has been more helpful than any particular medication for my worries about bad things happening, or causing bad things to happen.

Boards I mod on: self harm, panic/anxiety, ptsd, ocd, dissociative, sleep, not otherwise specified, benzos, lifestyle alternatives, therapy, health care system

Current meds: 60# golden retriever service dog, (swellbutrin, light box, vitamin D for the impending lack of sunlight blahs)

*disclaimer--Nothing I write should be construed as professional advice or creating a therapeutic relationship.*

Posted Image
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.