I dream almost every time I doze off for a few moments

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Michelle_*

Guest_Michelle_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2010 - 04:08 AM

I dream almost every time I doze off for a few moments, and it's not even interesting, nothing scary or weird. They are usually really boring, and I'm not an active participant in the dream, more like an observer. I forget most of them within a few minutes, but a few I can remember. One was, I was watching two people in a room, they were talking but I couldn't hear them, very plain room, like a police interview room. Another was I was standing behind a woman when she knocked on someone's door, and the other person answered, again i couldn't hear what they were saying. In both cases, I was asleep less than a minute.

People catch me dozing off all the time, and it really is just seconds. I don't even always feel tired when it happens, and I think I get enough sleep most of the time. I have a boring desk job, but it also happens when I'm watching tv or reading.

I'm not overly concerned, I just find it curious. I've never met anyone else that this happens to. I know REM sleep is not supposed to happen right away, I think I read somewhere that it's supposed to start like 45 minutes after you fall asleep. Even when I fall asleep for the night, I dream right away. At least I think I do, whenever I get woken up soon after I fall asleep, I've been dreaming.

Thanks for any insight!

#2 sorrel

sorrel

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 965 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 07:44 AM

Same here. I don't think it's abnormal. Since I have mastered the art of sleeping with my eyes open at boring lectures and stuff, I can now hallucinate my momentary dreams too.

#3 Mayteana

Mayteana

Normal is just a setting on the washing machine.

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 1397 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:20 AM

I dream almost every time I doze off for a few moments, and it's not even interesting, nothing scary or weird. They are usually really boring, and I'm not an active participant in the dream, more like an observer. I forget most of them within a few minutes, but a few I can remember. One was, I was watching two people in a room, they were talking but I couldn't hear them, very plain room, like a police interview room. Another was I was standing behind a woman when she knocked on someone's door, and the other person answered, again i couldn't hear what they were saying. In both cases, I was asleep less than a minute.

People catch me dozing off all the time, and it really is just seconds. I don't even always feel tired when it happens, and I think I get enough sleep most of the time. I have a boring desk job, but it also happens when I'm watching tv or reading.

I'm not overly concerned, I just find it curious. I've never met anyone else that this happens to. I know REM sleep is not supposed to happen right away, I think I read somewhere that it's supposed to start like 45 minutes after you fall asleep. Even when I fall asleep for the night, I dream right away. At least I think I do, whenever I get woken up soon after I fall asleep, I've been dreaming.

Thanks for any insight!

Ever talk to a doctor about that? Are you getting enough sleep at night? Dozing off all the time can be a symptom of a sleep disorder.

Yes, it generally should take a while to get into REM sleep. The ability to doze off a lot and go right to REM is often seen in people with narcolepsy.

~ May

When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? Perhaps to be too practical is madness. To surrender dreams - this may be madness. To seek treasure where there is only trash. Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.

-Don Quioxite, The Man of La Mancha

#4 Guest_Michelle_*

Guest_Michelle_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:58 AM

Yes, I did tell a doctor about it several years ago, she sent me to a psychiatrist who put me on antidepresants. That just made me want to sleep all the time.

#5 Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis

The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering.

• Admin
  • 13108 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 03:42 PM

My gf has narcolepsy and unmedicated she'll doze off at the drop of a hat and fall into REM. If it's a problem and your insurance will pay for a sleep study I'd look into it.

De-gnosis: ADD, recurrent depression (or maybe bpII in the guise of such), Asperger's, OCD, social anxiety
Today's Pill Menu: Dexedrine, Wellbutrin (Budeprion), Strattera, Celexa, Risperdal, and clonazepam

Like other moderators and staff of crazyboards.org, I am not a health care professional. You have no way of knowing that I am not talking out my ass. Please do your own homework before making any health related decisions.

Buy me Stuff: Amazon Wishlist

#6 Raquin

Raquin

• Pip
  • 387 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 01:20 PM

I always dream when I doze off. I didn't think that was weird or anything. Guess it is!
"All writers of confessions, from Augustine on down, have always remained a little in love with their sins."-ANATOLE FRANCE

#7 DarkendHour

DarkendHour

My reality check bounced

• Pip
  • 732 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 10:52 PM

I dream within moments of falling asleep... 5 minutes was the shortest time I can recall. (5 minutes of being asleep total)

Kinda weird.. at times I can't fall asleep for anything... other times I sleep normal hours and can still fall asleep within seconds.. at work (when I worked).. when hanging out with friends... at the movies... just about anywhere, lol.

If you get a sleep study done at some point... let me know what they say :-)
Dx - depends on who you ask. Schizoaffective Bipolar type -or- Paranoid Schizophrenic. Some times PTSD or Generalized Anxiety, again depends on the person you ask.

Rx - Burpropion HCL XL (generic for Wellbutrin XL) 150mg 2xday, Perphenazine (Generic for Trilafon) 4mg 2xday

#8 PsychopathicFox

PsychopathicFox

The Crazed Fox

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:16 PM

I do that, even when I am in class. I usually have falling dreams in class, though I don't while not in it. I get where I cannot stay away, start to drift, fall, and jolt awake, and nearly fall out of my chair.

And it shall come to pass
As you walk along the quiet path

That you will stumble over me
And the flies will follow you
Whispering of a lonely fox
Who found scarlet wings
And flew.

(I don't have an avatar because I havn't got my reary in gear to make one.)

You may call me Moonfall, Moony, Foxy, Crazy Fox, or anything else. Thanks!

#9 Astrid

Astrid

Brazilian Wandering Spider

• Pip
  • 267 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 03:03 AM

I dream even when I sleep only for a very short while, too. It would seem strange given that dreaming takes place in I think the third stage of sleep, but it does happen.

Caution: Time spent in psychiatric institutions is not life experience deductible.
Dx: Asperger's Syndrome, Borderline Personality Disorder

Rx: Abilify 20mg, Celexa 20mg, Phenergan 25mg PRN

#10 Guest_Audrey Weber_*

Guest_Audrey Weber_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2010 - 04:43 PM

When I doze off and dream, I often carry over an aspect of that dream -- for example, I reach for something in my dream, then find myself reaching for something that isn't real when I waken. I am embarrassed when that happens, and try to cover up the reaching or whatever happens, like answering a question from my dream/doze. I have no idea what makes this happen, except that I am usually very tired.

Audrey

#11 Guest_Kalina_*

Guest_Kalina_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2010 - 05:13 AM

I, too, dream when I doze off. That's how I found this message board! I decided to google "can you dream when dozing?" *LOL* Well thank goodness I'm not the only one who does this!

Sometimes it gets pretty weird where I'm dreaming yet feel like I'm awake. This happens when I'm just falling asleep, almost like in-between the two. For instance, this morning I was up then falling back to sleep and I saw my daughter come to lie on my bed. Then I woke up a second later and no, she wasn't there. Then I dozed off and she was there, woke up, she's not there... craaazy!!

I can also dream when I'm doing something and feeling sleepy and dozing off for a few seconds.

I think it's pretty interesting and cool that we can do that...but I sure hope it's not a symptom of something bad!

#12 ChemistryExperiment

ChemistryExperiment

Carbon Based Chemical

• Pip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 06:55 AM

Well, if you are getting very little sleep/not enough for an extended period of time, your body will speed up the sleep cycles and go into REM faster.

Life isn't about finding yourself

its about CREATING yourself

----------------------------------------------------------

if you're crazy and you know it clap your hands!

*clap*

*clap*

#13 Guest_MarkusEdward_*

Guest_MarkusEdward_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2010 - 09:55 AM

You might want to look at narcolepsy for your sleeping problems. Do you also experience sleep paralysis?
http://helpguide.org..._treatments.htm

#14 divinedesign21

divinedesign21

Pink Panda

• Pip
  • 227 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 09:48 AM

Thanks for any insight!

Sometimes I dream while I'm still mostly awake...if that even makes any sense. So, I understand where you are coming from.
I'M NOT CRAZY-I'm JUST A LITTLE UNWELL
Dx: Bipolar Disorder/Borderline Personality Disorder

600 mg. Trileptal, 50 mg. Zoloft , 150 mg. Trazodone

#15 crazycatnapper

crazycatnapper

• Pip
  • 194 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:10 PM

Unless you are extremely sleep deprived, going into REM sleep right away is a sign of Narcolepsy. It's NOT normal. Please schedule a sleep study, but make sure the doctor and lab you use know about Narcolepsy and other sleep disorders. So many sleep docs these days just focus on apnea and really don't know how to treat Narcolepsy.
Dx: Narcolepsy with Cataplexy, Depression,. Myoclonic seizures, Seasonal Affective Disorder, GAD, PTSD
Rx: Blood pressure meds. Parnate for Narcolepsy/Cataplexy and depression. Concerta for Narcolepsy
Past lives: Diagnosed as depressed for last 20 years. Then told it was just narcolepsy and the depression was situational from living with a chronic disease. Tried lots of meds, but Parnate was the only one to give me any relief. It stopped working for my EDS as my narcolepsy worsened. Provigil had terrible side effects and so did Xyrem. The Concerta with the Parnate is supposed to be a big NO NO, but I'm not dead yet.
I'm not a crazy person, I just play one in real life ;-)

#16 Eden

Eden

• Pip
  • 758 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 01:59 AM

not to say i know much if anything about narcolepsy but if your aware you shouldnt be sleeping its the bodies natural response i kick into rem sleep immediately. its a defense mechanism (the same that make the uber man system possible). and outside of rem sleep your pretty much plain old unconscious so, at night, even if you arent in rem immediately youd never know it

id agree that a sleep study is a good idea, but im willing to bet (from what little i know granted) that its probably nothing, if not healthy.

Edited by Eden, 24 March 2011 - 02:02 AM.

New Dx: Psychosis NOS, MDD + Aspergers and ADHD Inattentive type w/ social anxiety.
Also: Celiac disease and chronic 'flavor of the week' insomnia.

-Scratch that, uncle Sam gave me a clean bill of health cuz I talk gud n stuff.

"Mankind are a herd of knaves and fools.
It is necessary to join the crowd, or get out of their way,
in order not to be trampled to death by them" William Hazlitt.

One does not simply walk into dictionary.

#17 chipmunk

chipmunk

• Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 04:16 PM

Sounds like textbook narcolepsy.
DX with depression, ADHD, Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome

#18 lysergia

lysergia

ripping off the bootstraps

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 3461 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 04:40 PM

this happens to me as well. certain medications seem to guarantee it - effexor was the worst culprit years ago, but now that i'm on a bunch of seroquel i'm doing the same thing. and the stupid dreams are so vivid that they wake me up fifty times a night (exaggerating of course, it just feels that way). eventually i get frustrated and realize i am dreaming and try to wake from it - half my brain is awake and wants to get out of bed, but the other half won't stop dreaming, so it gets pretty confusing trying to figure out what's real and what isn't for a few minutes. sometimes the dreams follow me into reality for several hours, as if they really happened.

current dx:

BPII, DDNOS, major anxiety issues, PTSD issues (now subclinical), ED issues (recovered anorexic), auditory/visual/tactile hallucinations

current rx:

bupropion XL 300 mg, clonazepam 1.5 mg, synthroid 0.1625 mg - PRNs - ibuprofen, tylenol, nicotine, caffeine, refined sugar

download.jpg

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.