RAGE and ANGER

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Ammity

Ammity

• Pip
  • 247 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 10:38 AM

What is used to treat uncontrollable anger and rage in person with Bipolar Disorder?  Ativan isn't doing anything.  He takes 10 mg of Zyprexa at night, and also Tegretol throughout the day.
current rx: Lithium 600mgs titrating down from 900, Geodon 60mgs, Cogentin 3mgs, Oracea (Doxycycline), Nystatin, Nexium

Ex rx: Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, Lexapro, Celexa, Anafranil, desipramine, trazadone, pamelor, wellbutrin, Effexor, Strattera, cymbalta, depakote, trileptal, neurontin, topamax, lamictal, seroquel, abilify, geodon, buspar, xanax, klonopin, Risperdal

they all feckin suck.

#2 wifezilla

wifezilla

• Pip
  • 2474 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 11:20 AM

My girlfriends husband is an angry bp type...he is on depakote and that works as long he is taking it. Surprized the zyprexa isn't helping more...but everyone reacts to drugs differently.

Mine husband never got the rages...actually he is a very happy manic...untill he gets psychotic that is. Hubby is on Zyprexa and that is keeping the mania under control, but now he is depressed. (Waiting for added zoloft to kick in)

He should be talking to his doctors about the rage. A med change may be needed or he may need to learn new coping skills.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams

"Chaos is the law of nature, and order is the dream of man" - Henry Brooks Adam (1838-1918)

"I'm not sick, but I'm not well. And it's so hot, cause I'm in hell" - Harvey Danger

"I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell - I know, right now you can't tell - But stay awhile and maybe then you'll see A different side of me" - Rob Thomas

#3 JBella

JBella

• Pip
  • 627 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 11:28 AM

Zyprexa works for me, but apparently not for you.  Risperdal works for one of my people, but he's only a teen, I don't know what age you are speaking of. Hope that helps.
I'm the kind of girl who walks into chairs and apologizes.

I rule the land of You-Wanna-Make-Something-Of-It? where it's always that time of the month.
Anita Liberty

Rx: Cymbalta, Lamictal, flonase, Zyrtec, Adderall, Seroquel, zinc, selenium

Previous Rx: Lexapro, Zyprexa, Strattera, Ritalin, Wellbutrin (my nemesis), Topamax, Trazadone, Celexa, Lunesta (the devil in pill form), Concerta, Zoloft, Seroquel, Neurontin, and every allergy medicine known to humankind

#4 Guest_amybeth_*

Guest_amybeth_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2005 - 12:04 PM

I am Bipolar I with Dysphoric Rage.  Very ragey very angry.  I bite myself.  I'm very verbally abusive to those I love.  I go out to the garage and pound away with a bat until I'm drenched in sweat.  I've yelled at totally strangers and grabbed them in places.  Not good

So, anywhoo.  Topamax stopped my rage dead in its tracks.  Cold.

I couldn't live without it.

#5 CastorFache

CastorFache

Beaver, Angry

• Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 12:12 PM

My girlfriends husband is an angry bp type...he is on depakote and that works as long he is taking it.

Oddly enough...I take Depakote and it does nothing for my rage.  I am still a nasty and angry person at times.  However, I did find that the anti-psychotics worked pretty well...although they had other side effects that were not pleasing.

The key is to find the place to vent and rant uncontrollably...I watch the 6:00 news by myself in my basement bunker and yell and scream like a complete lunatic (wait a minute...).  At the end, I am usually feeling much better.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"

-- Adam Savage

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

-- Douglas Adams

Everything happens to everybody sooner or later if there is time enough.

--George Bernard Shaw

Castor Fache is currently: BP II with SAD and perpetual crankiness.
Today's Drugs are: Lithium 900mg, Topamax 50mg (mostly for migraines) Lamictal 150mg, Invega 3mg

#6 Guest_amybeth_*

Guest_amybeth_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2005 - 12:20 PM

The key is to find the place to vent and rant uncontrollably...I watch the 6:00 news by myself in my basement bunker and yell and scream like a complete lunatic (wait a minute...).  At the end, I am usually feeling much better.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats funny.  This gave me a good laugh....

#7 groovyone

groovyone

Yes, this is the groovyone!

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 900 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 12:36 PM

What is used to treat uncontrollable anger and rage in person with Bipolar Disorder?  Ativan isn't doing anything.  He takes 10 mg of Zyprexa at night, and also Tegretol throughout the day.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Ammity, there is still room to move with the Zyprexa.  It may need to be increased.  Or it might not be the right drug for him.

Karen
Working hard to provide you the best site possible--The Crazyboards Team

What makes me crazy: Bipolar Disorder, ADD, Simple Partial Seizures, Migraines

What calms me down: Topamax (200mg), Frisium (10mg), Oxazepam (15-30mg) all once daily, Maxalt prn

Posted Image

#8 Fidget

Fidget

• Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 01:23 PM

Seroquel has quelled my rage aspects. Unfortunatly it has also made me gain 30 lbs.... but i'm nowhere near as angry... now i guess im just kind of sad
My Blog click to check it out

#9 chinacat

chinacat

Once a nurse, always a nurse--or so they say.

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 1024 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 03:09 PM

I have foudn that as my depressive cycles lessen (I was having 6-8 a day) I am getting a bit more angy, but in a more self-expressive way, which I think may be  a good thing.  For Instance, My husband and and I are talking aobut omoving to Fla--he is already there working-and I just absolutely blew a fuse when he said "well,,we can live over abut 20 miles inland and its cheaper and all". He promised me the beach, and I will not move until I can move to the beach.  So I stood up for myself, and it felt really good.  I didn;t cry, I stood up for myself. Very new  feeling

But I am, gonna have to watch the anger and the tendancy to rage, cause I can feel that it would not be hard to realy blow.  I got really mad at the multi, rapid cycling, and now that its lessened a bit, I have all this justifiable anger (I feel) that I need to express.  But I trying to be cautious--really cautious--cause I am not an anger person, and I don;t know how I'd handle it.
Dx: Batshit NOS,MAINLY ADD, BPII(used to be the world's fastest cycler, a humbling accolade), knee-buckling, killer anxiety with ANY stress (makes me stupid beyond words)--------- I have finally disvcovered Lithim and I amd as close to human as I have been in muy years!
Med plan at present: Adderall,Klonopin, Lithiumin AM-- lithium and adderall in afternoon,, and Lunesta at night. Klonopin 2-4 times daily (always at night) for creepies-- Back on 100 mgs. on Zoloft every evening- seems to help the depression, but----

As the daughter of a son of a sailor, I went out to the sea for adventure--"

And a bad day at the beach is better than a good day anywhere else.
Last thought: Once a nurse ALWAYS a nurse!

#10 crazynotstupid

crazynotstupid

S'up yo

• Inmate
  • 2430 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 03:18 PM

I find Topamax, plus the occasional dose of Seroquel for really stressful times, is good for my nasty rage problem...
The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep
And miles to go before I sleep.
-Robert Frost

#11 wifezilla

wifezilla

• Pip
  • 2474 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 05:50 PM

Hey China,

Hold out for that beach girl! Moving to Florida and not having easy access to the beach is a perfectly valid cause for anger...hee hee hee

Now, demanding a home on Anna Maria Island facing the golf...might be just a little pig-headed...but you can't make me change my mind!!! ;)
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams

"Chaos is the law of nature, and order is the dream of man" - Henry Brooks Adam (1838-1918)

"I'm not sick, but I'm not well. And it's so hot, cause I'm in hell" - Harvey Danger

"I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell - I know, right now you can't tell - But stay awhile and maybe then you'll see A different side of me" - Rob Thomas

#12 RedRocket

RedRocket

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 09:22 AM

I found Risperadal worked well for rage if you don't mind becoming a fat zombie. ;)

But, it worked well for rage.    :)

I stopped taking it after I stabilized and now I rely only on Lithium to hold back the rage stallions and the homicidal dogs.  Working so far.  Haven't killed anyone in mind yet this year.

#13 Hellcat13

Hellcat13

• Pip
  • 226 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 10:49 PM

OK  I have a rage too.

I can feel myself getting angry at nothing - well ok most people in shopping centres (do not stop in the middle of the ailse asshole).  I have almost hit a few people and I know one year near Christmas I am going to go postal in the local shops.

I also train 4 nights a week in kickboxing so I know how to hit people.  Not good for a rager like me but good to punch people and boxing bags around a few nights a week.

I also punch walls, but they hit back too hard.  I get out into the garden and weed - thats good grass and sand flying and a screaming manic like me on the other end.  Bless my neighbours that they havent called the funny farm just yet on me.

I often job share with Satan and have a wicked tongue - I dont yell, but are just plain nasty.

So join the crowd.

Oh, I take 300mg effexor, 675mg lithium and 5mg zyprexa

#14 notstupidjustslow

notstupidjustslow

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 11:23 AM

Risperadal. I rage like crazy. Once I threw a can of pineapple at my husband. I've nearly been hauled away by the police at: the library, the post office, 2 or 3 of my jobs, my university. Yeah.

Anyway, Risperadol works.

#15 withing

withing

tired of being tired...

• Pip
  • 3018 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 10:06 PM

Topamax and Seroquel worked for me... after I cut the caffeine out of my diet.  For some reason, with me, caffeine and Topamax did not play well together.  But, once I went decaf, all that rage just disappeared.
`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~
The Past is the textbook of tyrants; the Future the Bible of the Free. Those who are solely governed by the Past stand like Lot's wife, crystallized in the act of looking backward, and forever incapable of looking before. ~Herman Melville, White Jacket
DX: Bipolar (flavor undecided) & various physical stuff
RX: Topamax: 100mg, Seroquel: 200mg, Welbutrin XL: 300

...and then,
Buffy staked Edward.

~~The End~~

#16 Hellcat13

Hellcat13

• Pip
  • 226 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 11:19 PM

Hey, I have thrown car keys and knives at my brother before when we were kids.  I have also pushed him (and him me) through a window too.  Lovely bunch arent we?

#17 withing

withing

tired of being tired...

• Pip
  • 3018 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 11:32 PM

Hey, I have thrown car keys and knives at my brother before when we were kids.  I have also pushed him (and him me) through a window too.  Lovely bunch arent we?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, you did that too?  My sibs and I were a violent bunch... cast iron pans, chairs, you name it, it got thrown.  And man, did we throw each other around, kicked over tables, thrown across the room, once I even picked my brother up off the floor by his neck, right under his jaw, he pissed me off so much.  Funny thing is, we never seriously hurt each other, and woe be to anyone else who tried to hurt us... Except the sorry excuse for a husband my mother married the second time around... wasn't much we could do about him. Asshole.  But, I digress. 

Good thing I have the meds now...
The Past is the textbook of tyrants; the Future the Bible of the Free. Those who are solely governed by the Past stand like Lot's wife, crystallized in the act of looking backward, and forever incapable of looking before. ~Herman Melville, White Jacket
DX: Bipolar (flavor undecided) & various physical stuff
RX: Topamax: 100mg, Seroquel: 200mg, Welbutrin XL: 300

...and then,
Buffy staked Edward.

~~The End~~

#18 Ammity

Ammity

• Pip
  • 247 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 02:35 PM

He is now taking 15mg of Zyprexa at night, plus Tegretol, and about 3mgs of Klonopin per day.  He's a bit more calm :)
Dr said no way to the Topamax, and that Risperdal is basically the same thing as Zyprexa. ;)
current rx: Lithium 600mgs titrating down from 900, Geodon 60mgs, Cogentin 3mgs, Oracea (Doxycycline), Nystatin, Nexium

Ex rx: Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, Lexapro, Celexa, Anafranil, desipramine, trazadone, pamelor, wellbutrin, Effexor, Strattera, cymbalta, depakote, trileptal, neurontin, topamax, lamictal, seroquel, abilify, geodon, buspar, xanax, klonopin, Risperdal

they all feckin suck.

#19 Ruby

Ruby

• Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 03:09 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Seroquel is the magic potion for my dysphoric rage, which is much worse during PMS week. I usually take 100mg and last night I took 125mg, and it helps. Seroquel does cause weight gain if you give into the cravings, so I try to take it right before I go to bed.

I took Zyprexa for a few days. Felt too much like elephant tranquilizer. I literally couldn't get out of bed, so stopped it.

Keppra may be good for him. Like Jerod says, it will stop any mania dead in its tracks. I also took Keppra but it was too sedating for me.

Hope he gets better

Ruby

#20 RedRockinMonkeyBoy

RedRockinMonkeyBoy

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 04:35 PM

I too am having rage problems.  But I think mine are mostly due to my ADD.  My doc isn't wanting to give me anything for it until we get the mania and the cycling controlled.  I maintain the cycling wouldn't be as bad if I had something for the impulsivness, attention deficit and hyperness.  But what do I know...I'm merely a lab rat at this point?!!?!  ;)  

It reeaaaaalllllyyyyyy sucks, due to the fact that I can't seem to complete a thought without going "away for a bit" and then forgetting what in the Hell I was talking about, or reading or trying to do.  That, in turn, sends me in to a rage.  And all Hell breaks loose and I watch my wife and 7 year old scramble to clear a path for Hurricane Psycho.  I guess it's just one of the many ways God decided to make my all-inclusive trip to LaLa land Soooooooooooooooooooo much fun.  One of these times, I swear I'm gonna tell that Dr. off and........

OHHHHH SHINY OBJECT

Edited by RedRockinMonkeyBoy, 07 June 2005 - 04:38 PM.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.