Grossly Disorganized Behavior

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 yummysecrets

yummysecrets

• Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 01:13 PM

I'm looking for specific examples of "grossly disorganized behavior", because there is a paucity of description that I can find. I know this:

- dressing inappropriately for the weather, often to a silly degree (ex three hats)
- looking disheveled and lacking in hygeine, like hair-combing
- making inappropriate faces or reactions like laughing (due to reacting to internal stimuli)
- untriggered agitation which results in random confrontation of others or psychomotor abnormalities

...but I guess I'm looking for more? Personal stories?

...My own disorganized behavior, if this is indeed what it is, includes fun things like random silly gestures like bowing at nothing, conducting an invisible orchestra, shouting/singing random words. It gives my co-workers a good chuckle. My favorite, though, is the random desire to clap once really loudly, which (unintentionally) scares the bejeezus out of people. My mother complains I act loud and animatedly at inappropriate times, which is probably "untriggered agitation", too.
AXIS I [OCD, GAD, EDNOS, BDNOS] AXIS II [-] AXIS III [RA, FMS/IBS, Celiac Sprue]
DRUGS [Effexor XR, Topamax, Plaquenil, Trinessa] I ♥ my meds

#2 Entities

Entities

• Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 01:57 PM

I do a lot of gestures without meaning to, it just happens. I also put on a lot of voices of different people, usually the Royals or the middle-European.

I've increasingly noticed I have inappropriate expressions, me and my friend were discussing death and our grandparents. We're still young-ish and are fortunate to have a set of grandparents left. I was talking about "bad thoughts" like stuff you think and you know you shouldn't. I'm quite ashamed by it, but it's a different story. Anyway my thoughts at the time were "Which grandparent would I prefer to go?" Not meant in a spiteful way, but it was meant in the way that which one of my grandparents would cope better? I told him about that current "bad thought" and I had a beaming smile on my face and I was laughing. He also talked about someone dying and I just smiled. And it runs through my head " What are you doing smiling?! He's talking about someone he loved that has died and you're smiling?!"

It's really horrid. Though possibly more normal and not crazy-behavior...Maybe.

I'd keep writing but I've got 3 minutes to get changed, brush my teeth and do a 15 minute walk to meet some people! Damn your interesting topic! 2 minutes?!
Diagnosis: " Psychotic disorder: Manic and depressive mood swings with psychosis" Anxiety and depersonalisation.
Current medications: Abilify 10mg, Cipralex 10mg, Epilim Chorno (Sodium Valproate/Depacon/So many names) currently titrating.
Old Medication: Zyprexa 5mg, Rispiradone 0.5mg, Buspar 10mg,Sanomigran 0.5mg, 7.5mg Zimovane,10mg Amytrptyline, Sumatriptan, 5mg Neoclarityn (Pollen allergy) Axid 10mg(GERD)
Currently: Not getting on with the psychiatrist (bitch). Also pretty much being forced out of my home because "no one can cope".

#3 klingon001

klingon001

• Pip
  • 889 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 02:25 PM

I pace around a lot. I don't know if that's GDB or akathisia.

#4 Swamp56

Swamp56

• Pip
  • 819 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 03:18 PM

The only thing I have are weird tics with my face; I also sometimes rock my head back and forth.
Dx: Schizoaffective Disorder (Bipolar Type), OCD, Anxiety
Rx: Lamictal 200mg, Seroquel 400mg, Klonopin 1mg prn

#5 yummysecrets

yummysecrets

• Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 01:27 PM

Next question: How much of this disorganized behavior is intentional or semi-intentional? For example, I have the habit of bending into weird positions to stretch my neck and back. I do this many times a day. I genuinely need to stretch (probably due to discomfort from the arthritis), but I'm under the impression based on observation that this behavior is abnormal or inappropriate for the time and place. Does this count, because of my lack of understanding about the appropriateness? Or is it just an odd unrelated habit?
AXIS I [OCD, GAD, EDNOS, BDNOS] AXIS II [-] AXIS III [RA, FMS/IBS, Celiac Sprue]
DRUGS [Effexor XR, Topamax, Plaquenil, Trinessa] I ♥ my meds

#6 FireBird

FireBird

• Pip
  • 535 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 01:25 AM

I have the inappropriate facial expressions all the time. In fact, I smile even when the world is falling apart. Sometimes I would laugh if the world ended. There is a reason for this, if the world ended while I was depressed, then I don't have to be depressed anymore so I guess that is a reason to smile. I smile when depressed, so no one believes that I truly suffer a lot of the time. Sometimes I get so bad with that I almost appear manic when depressed, talking quickly, joking around, of course having this gigantic smile on my face and making lots of movements. It really annoys me. Sometimes I actually slow down when I am very happy and appear more depressed. Basically, my facial expressions are opposite of my actual mood (incongruent affect). Mine is probably due to my autism though. Other people with autism have a flat affect, mine is almost like an exaggerated incongruent affect.

Diagnoses: GAD, Autism, Bipolar type 1 (mainly depression), Panic Attacks, PTSD, Borderline personality disorder
Meds I take: Latuda 60mg Trileptal 1200mg Trazodone 200mg Hydroxyzine 50mg Gabapentin 600mg
Past meds: Too many to list here

Just plain nuts!

#7 Hume's doona

Hume's doona

• Pip
  • 640 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 01:45 AM

After a few weeks of seeing my 1st pdoc, she remarked "you're starting to make sense now"... I don't really get it [as in understand what I do], but I showered today for the first time in a couple of weeks, but wasn't particularly diligent about it, I could count the times i've brushed my teeth in the last 15 years on my fingers.

I can't give examples of inappropriate expressions, I generally get pulled up on it after repeat offences. It's big GF leaving thing along with flat affect, but rarely at the actual time, unless I don't click on unless it's yelled at high decibel levels.

So yeah, IDK, I'm sure ex GF's would happily rant about it if they were here... sorry I can't be more help

Dx: Schizoaffective Disorder

Rx: Risperdal 3mg, Cymbalta 120mg, Epilim 1700mg

sig_zps58823781.png

#8 DarkendHour

DarkendHour

My reality check bounced

• Pip
  • 732 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 02:29 AM

besides the stuff you already said you knew and what others have said I'd tell you my "story" if i knew what the heck I do most of the time but I don't so I can't. I did write stuff but then seen its not stuff you didn't already say so it wouldn't be of any help.
Dx - depends on who you ask. Schizoaffective Bipolar type -or- Paranoid Schizophrenic. Some times PTSD or Generalized Anxiety, again depends on the person you ask.

Rx - Burpropion HCL XL (generic for Wellbutrin XL) 150mg 2xday, Perphenazine (Generic for Trilafon) 4mg 2xday

#9 Guest_Alex_*

Guest_Alex_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:15 PM

I just stumbled across this site tonight, and I have to say I can relate with this "disorganized behavior". I often find myself laughing when others aren't depending on the situation. I exhibit a ton of attention seeking behavior, especially if I'm in the mood. E.G- Pulling on my mouth, twisting myself in odd positions (often unaware while doing so), saying really innapropriate/off-the-wall things, lying on the floors of public places and overall obnoxious behavior. Often too, I claim to be/feel a senior citizen, though I am nowhere near being a senior chronologically.

I am obsessive when it comes to showers (every morning, most afternoons, some evenings), yet neglect to brush teeth, wash face, actually wash well. Only recently have I not had a stench so bad that entire rooms of people were complaining. Chronic procrastination with bad consequences is another problem I have.

Two personal antecdotes that came to mind, when I read the examples of disorganized behavior, were the times I went to London for a week and instead of jacket wore a blanket the entire time and the time when I wore nothing but heavy sweaters, khaki slacks, and shoes 3 sizes too small for an entire week. Why?- Because.

So that's what I have to offer. Not sure if that was what you were looking for, but I felt compelled to share when I stumbled across this.

#10 klingon001

klingon001

• Pip
  • 889 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 04:36 AM

I think my speech is becoming very disorganized, because I go from one topic to another and I often get thought blocking (supposedly a psychotic symptom/delusion, but I believe in it). Yesterday I was harassing my mom with so many questions that were not related to one another at all. I was (mildly) hypomanic at the time too, so that might account for it.

Sometimes I neglect to bush/floss my teeth, and I still shower everyday but it is a very hard task for me.

I also inappropriately laugh at negative situations or make jokes about recent tragedies in the news. I don't think I'm a mean person, I'm usually unaware that I'm saying/laughing at something that I shouldn't be,

#11 theresa

theresa

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 07:12 AM

I'm looking for specific examples of "grossly disorganized behavior", because there is a paucity of description that I can find. I know this:

...My own disorganized behavior, if this is indeed what it is, includes fun things like random silly gestures like bowing at nothing, conducting an invisible orchestra, shouting/singing random words. It gives my co-workers a good chuckle. My favorite, though, is the random desire to clap once really loudly, which (unintentionally) scares the bejeezus out of people. My mother complains I act loud and animatedly at inappropriate times, which is probably "untriggered agitation", too.

I am very withdrawn. I like to sit in a dark bathroom and just turn off my mind, I sit and do nothing, cannot follow tv shows at all, I rock back and forth, I have repetitive and intrusive thoughts (mostly about killing myself), I lose time (sometimes months) and find myself in the hospital, having been there weeks, not having any idea how I got there, I've gone into the hospital with expressive aphasia when I couldn't get any words out that were appropriate. I've not been in the hospital in nearly two years but I've gone to a psychiatric crisis house for ten day stays many times in the last two years, even my psychiatrist told me that I've gone there too much, that I should find a different living situation that will provide what I need. I won't do that because I own my condo and my truck outright and would lose everything if I moved to a group home. I probably wouldn't be able to share my gender history in a group home and who wants to do that for the rest of their lives? I don't know what dx I should have, currently it's sza with severe ptsd, anhedonia, and severe, constant anxiety.
Trazadone 150mg
Seroquel LA 900mg
Seroquel 100mg prn up to tid
Ativan 0.5mg up to tid
Cymbalta 60mg
Estradiol 4mg
Prometrium 400mg
Sulindac 200mg twice a day
others I cannot remember

#12 klingon001

klingon001

• Pip
  • 889 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 08:09 AM

I am very withdrawn. I like to sit in a dark bathroom and just turn off my mind, I sit and do nothing, cannot follow tv shows at all, I rock back and forth, I have repetitive and intrusive thoughts (mostly about killing myself), I lose time (sometimes months) and find myself in the hospital, having been there weeks, not having any idea how I got there, I've gone into the hospital with expressive aphasia when I couldn't get any words out that were appropriate. I've not been in the hospital in nearly two years but I've gone to a psychiatric crisis house for ten day stays many times in the last two years, even my psychiatrist told me that I've gone there too much, that I should find a different living situation that will provide what I need. I won't do that because I own my condo and my truck outright and would lose everything if I moved to a group home. I probably wouldn't be able to share my gender history in a group home and who wants to do that for the rest of their lives? I don't know what dx I should have, currently it's sza with severe ptsd, anhedonia, and severe, constant anxiety.

I'm so sorry that you're going through this. Going into a group home when you are living independently must sound illogical/scary. I'm afraid I have no good advice to give.

But if it makes you feel better (or doesn't, that's ok too), I'm Schizoaffective/OCD/GAD I was always scared to leave the house because I thought I might harm/kill someone on accident or on purpose. I was scared because I truly thought that I was going to kill someone, and I've had delusions lasting months that I've killed people in the past that have only gone away with medication.

I get suicidal thoughts too, mostly because I think I've hurt/killed people. If that's the case, I don't really want to live either.

Plus the hallucinations from my sza can get pretty creepy. I have panic attacks when I hallucinate, and I think that my heart is bating too fast and I'm going to die.

Fortunately, I found a great partial hospitalization program for anxiety that is helping me so much. I can actually drive and do normal things again, like go shopping. I get to go home when the day ends, so it's not like staying inpatient at all.

If you found a partial hospitalization program near where you live, you can get treatment without having to give up your condo/truck. I don't know if you've tried this already or not, but it's something to consider if you haven't.

Good Luck,

Emily

#13 llama44

llama44

llama-licious

• Pip
  • 1146 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 11:12 AM

I pace around a lot when I shouldn't too. I also laugh all the time when no one else is laughing. It can be embarrassing but I can't control it. It was especially bad during class. I would almost need to leave the room at times. I would do many things to stop it like scratching myself, etc. I also get that blank mind, thought stopping I guess they call it. I will be in the middle of telling a story and my mind goes blank and disappears. I rarely try to tell stories anymore because this happens nearly 90% of the time.
Diagnoses: Schizoaffective Bipolar Type ("Significant, Severe, Chronic, and Clear Cut"), Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Anorexia (in remission; dx in early teen years), OCD (dx in early teen years)

Current Meds: 600mg Seroquel, 30mg Abilify, 100mg Trazodone, 200mg Lamictal, 300mg Effexor XR, 3mg Klonopin.

Some days are better than others, but I do what I can.

How I'm doing now: I am down and am suicidal. I want to stay in bed forever. I never want to leave the apartment. The voices have been really bothering me. They also put thoughts in my head that aren't mine. They do this to torture me constantly. It is never silent.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.