• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 The Emperor

The Emperor

Is there a hole for me to get sick in?

• Pip
  • 3713 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 12:44 AM

I've heard a lot of people say that they take Benadryl fro anxiety. Wouldn't it just knock you out? I've never tried it, but I'm seriously considering it at this point if I flip out and have a panic attack.

Tylenol PM always helped me relax, and I believe the ingredient to make you sleepy is diphenhydramine, but of course, I would ultimately fall asleep/

has anyone tried this with any amount of success or find that it casues additional anxiety?

This is weird to me, I'm just curious, well, and considering taking one every now and then or at least trying it.

What the docs wrote down about my Crazy: Bipolar II, Some anxiety issue
The pills they give me to fix this shit: Lamictal 175mg, clonazepam 1mg , Trileptal 600mg
Pills that did NOT fix this shit: Sertraline, Buspirone, Mirtazipine, Paroxetine, Gabapentin, Effexor XR, Lorazepam, Cymbalta(twice), Zolpidem, Bupropion XL, Pristiq, Fluoxetine, Vistaril, Lexapro, Celexa, Trazodone, Geodon

Pills that worked well enough but side effects were total shit so I stopped: Abilify, Lithium, valium

sun moon stars rain

#2 Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis

The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering.

• Admin
  • 12925 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 03:18 AM

If you're having panic attacks and SSRIs don't work to prevent them you need to change the dose or type of your benzo. Xanax has the reputation as being the best one for panic and is the only medication specifically developed for panic. The problem is that it doesn't last that long. Xanax-XR largely solves this.

Clonazepam isn't the first med I'd think of for panic.

De-gnosis: ADD, recurrent depression (or maybe bpII in the guise of such), Asperger's, OCD, social anxiety
Today's Pill Menu: Dexedrine, Wellbutrin (Budeprion), Strattera, Celexa, Risperdal, and clonazepam

Like other moderators and staff of crazyboards.org, I am not a health care professional. You have no way of knowing that I am not talking out my ass. Please do your own homework before making any health related decisions.

Buy me Stuff: Amazon Wishlist

#3 Rabbit37

Rabbit37

It's a fuckin' zoo around here

• Pip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 05:47 AM

I take vistaril for anxiety, and it's "eh". It does calm me down a bit, albeit it makes me somewhat tired. I used to try and take benadryl solely for the purpose of sleep, but I guess I built up a tolerance, and it hyped me up instead. However, I'd give it a try, it's cheap and <thinking of Dianthus> it *probably* can't hurt.
dx - BP, OCD and BPD, oh yeah, and some GAD as well
rx - lithium, risperidone, citalopram, vistaril and vitamins

#4 wondernut

wondernut

disconcerted citizen

• Pip
  • 971 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 07:00 AM

benedryl makes me drowsy and when I am fine it helps me sleep but if I am in the midst of a panic attack myself it does not work for that at all..in fact to be honest it makes the panic worse and I feel agitated and wired
wellbutrin, vit D, coffee, ibuprofen
xanax lick as needed

#5 Mayteana

Mayteana

Normal is just a setting on the washing machine.

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 1397 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 09:31 AM

Like anything - YMMV with Benadryl.

The experience of my household only: Benadryl is decent for mild to moderate anxiety. I used it to sleep for a while but have long since built up a tolerance to it. Also: unless you need the tylenol part, you can just buy generic diphenhydramine, which is cheaper. I haven't had any issues with taking the generic form of it.

Once you hit panic, Benedryl doesn't do shit and can make it worse because being sedated can freak you out further.

Benadryl doesn't get rid of my anxiety, but it can take it down for a while. For me it's really obvious when it wears off because the anxiety comes right back. If I start taking it at some point in the day, I will just keep taking it like every 5 hours until it's bedtime and I can sleep off the crazy.

It's probably worth a (careful) try to see if it does anything for you.

~ May

Edited by Mayteana, 09 April 2010 - 09:32 AM.

When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? Perhaps to be too practical is madness. To surrender dreams - this may be madness. To seek treasure where there is only trash. Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.

-Don Quioxite, The Man of La Mancha

#6 The Emperor

The Emperor

• Pip
  • 3713 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:04 AM

Yeah, I thought it might be worth a shot. Talked to sub p-doc today and she said it would be okay to try it, she also said I should try Valerian (I've tried this before for sleep and it did nothing, but maybe it would help anxiety. It stinks like shit but I think I'll try it.

I've been thinking about Xanax XR for a bit now, just switching to something else long acting like that or diazepam, but she said there was no generic form of Xanax XR, I'm sure insurance would cover XR, so maybe I'll ask P-doc about that on the 20th.

I have zolpidem(that I'm not supposed to take) if I REALLY can't sleep because of it.

The pills they give me to fix this shit: Lamictal 175mg, clonazepam 1mg , Trileptal 600mg
Pills that did NOT fix this shit: Sertraline, Buspirone, Mirtazipine, Paroxetine, Gabapentin, Effexor XR, Lorazepam, Cymbalta(twice), Zolpidem, Bupropion XL, Pristiq, Fluoxetine, Vistaril, Lexapro, Celexa, Trazodone, Geodon

Pills that worked well enough but side effects were total shit so I stopped: Abilify, Lithium, valium

sun moon stars rain

#7 vanderk

vanderk

Thimk!

• Pip
  • 849 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:16 AM

Vistaril tends to work better for anxiety than Benadryl (what an uber-drug, giving rise to Prozac and Zyrtek, and still holding its' own after all these years!).

If if you don't already, be sure to include diaphragmatic breathing (a couple of minutes several times daily). You might even try some periods of saccadic eye movement (side to side, once per second...just like in EMDR). This has worked several times for me when panic came knocking.
I believe in everything, nothing is sacred.
I believe in nothing, everything is sacred.
Ha ha, ho ho,and hee hee.

The Chink

#8 The Emperor

The Emperor

• Pip
  • 3713 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:23 AM

Vistaril tends to work better for anxiety than Benadryl (what an uber-drug, giving rise to Prozac and Zyrtek, and still holding its' own after all these years!).

If if you don't already, be sure to include diaphragmatic breathing (a couple of minutes several times daily). You might even try some periods of saccadic eye movement (side to side, once per second...just like in EMDR). This has worked several times for me when panic came knocking.

I know, I was amazed at all the things diphenhydramine is used in and/ or helped create!

I feel VERY weird doing the breathing exercises, for some reason it freaks me out more, I think it's the stomach expanding thing, I hate that. EDMR? That eye movement thing sounds interesting though, I think I'll try that.

sun moon stars rain

#9 Mayteana

Mayteana

Normal is just a setting on the washing machine.

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 1397 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:32 AM

Zyrtec! I love my Zyrtec!

~ May

When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? Perhaps to be too practical is madness. To surrender dreams - this may be madness. To seek treasure where there is only trash. Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.

-Don Quioxite, The Man of La Mancha

#10 crtclms

crtclms

Queen of Ergots

• Inmate
  • 8760 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 01:29 AM

TE, the person who is in my blog occasionally, salt-crazed (saltcrazed?), would be able to tell you where to get really good quality, organic valerian, which works much better than most of the stuff you get over the counter. She is a naturopath and master herbalist. If you message her, it might be a week+ before she responds, but she eventually will.

Dx: Bipolar 1; GAD; Migraine w/ Aura; Migraine w/o Aura; Renal Tubular Acidosis (caused by Zonegran); Status Migrainosus
Rx: Alprazolam; Botox; Buproprion; Dihydroergotomine via IV Infusion; Flexeril; Lamotrigine; Latuda; Lithium; Metoclopramide; Midrin; Migranal; Potassium Citrate; Prilosec; Promethazine; Riboflavin; Tizanidine; Verapamil; Vitamin D3
Currently Shelved: Abilify; Amerge; Anaprox; Atenolol; Buspar; Cafergot; Cymbalta; Depakote; Di-Hydro-ergotamine, injected; Gabapentin; Geodon; Imitrex Tablets; Klonopin; Maxalt; Namenda; Nortriptyline; Norvasc; Propranolol; Prozac; Risperidone; Relpax; Sansert; Sumatriptan injectables; Tegretol; Trazadone; Zoloft; Zolpidem; Zomig; Zonegran

Affectations can be dangerous. -Gertrude Stein

I moderate Bipolar, Panic/Anxiety, Dissociative Disorders, Migraine, Seizures, Not Otherwise Specified, Anticonvulsants, Side Effects, Family Feud, and I Still Have Issues. Remember, I am not a medical professional. PM me if you have any questions

#11 The Emperor

The Emperor

• Pip
  • 3713 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 04:26 AM

TE, the person who is in my blog occasionally, salt-crazed (saltcrazed?), would be able to tell you where to get really good quality, organic valerian, which works much better than most of the stuff you get over the counter. She is a naturopath and master herbalist. If you message her, it might be a week+ before she responds, but she eventually will.

Thanks, crtclms, I'm weird about doing stuff like that Posted Image I got some that is standardized to contain 350mg Valerian Root Extract per capsule and it says to take one a night. I looked it up before I got it. It's fun reading about the herbal stuff. I'm pretty sure that was the right thing, because any herbal shit you get, you want it to be standardized, I believe, but I don't know. Maybe it wasn't. It seems to make me sleepy enough, really, works as well as the Zolpidem I was on to calm me for sleep.

sun moon stars rain

#12 Stickler

Stickler

Weird

• Pip
  • 2755 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 06:14 PM

I've been using a kava-kava extract lately, and it helps take the edge off a little when I get wound up, also benadryl.

I am known for my willingness to mix stuff in ways my docs seem never to have heard of, though.

A wreck in progress.

chaos.gif

#13 The Emperor

The Emperor

• Pip
  • 3713 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 07:35 PM

I've been using a kava-kava extract lately, and it helps take the edge off a little when I get wound up, also benadryl.

I am known for my willingness to mix stuff in ways my docs seem never to have heard of, though.

I used Kava Kava for a little while and while I found it effective, I found that it only lasted for about forty five minutes after I took a shot and then I'd get even more gumpy and bitchy than I was before.

I stopped the Valerian for now because I want to know whether the increased Abilify helped or not, so I'd rather not throw anything else in to the mix to confuse me as to what is helping what.

I wish the kava worked better, I'd drop the benzos for that.

sun moon stars rain

#14 Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis

The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering.

• Admin
  • 12925 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 12:34 AM

kava kava is hell on your liver anyway

De-gnosis: ADD, recurrent depression (or maybe bpII in the guise of such), Asperger's, OCD, social anxiety
Today's Pill Menu: Dexedrine, Wellbutrin (Budeprion), Strattera, Celexa, Risperdal, and clonazepam

Like other moderators and staff of crazyboards.org, I am not a health care professional. You have no way of knowing that I am not talking out my ass. Please do your own homework before making any health related decisions.

Buy me Stuff: Amazon Wishlist

#15 Kodos

Kodos

Knowledge is power.

• Pip
  • 375 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 01:35 AM

If you take diphenhydramine on a regular basis, you'll develop tolerance to the sedative effect - like after 3 days. I can take Benadryl tablets like tic tacs - no sedative effect. Not that I do anymore - I currently take XYZAL for my allergies.

Here is an abstract to a study on it:
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/12352276

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.