Hallucinations can be caused by OCD?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 klingon001

klingon001

• Pip
  • 889 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 05:37 PM

Edited by klingon001, 30 March 2014 - 04:14 PM.

#2 Swamp56

Swamp56

• Pip
  • 819 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 05:56 PM

Having hallucinations, unless caused by an "organic health" problem, is usually defined as psychotic when there are other features associated with it (disorganization, delusions, etc) or they are severe. In the context that you are explaining what she said, it sounds as if she might be a little confused. Are you sure there wasn't any confusion between what she said and what you understood?

This might be of interest for you.

Edited by Swamp56, 13 April 2010 - 05:59 PM.

Dx: Schizoaffective Disorder (Bipolar Type), OCD, Anxiety
Rx: Lamictal 200mg, Seroquel 400mg, Klonopin 1mg prn

#3 SashaSue

SashaSue

Vulpes Bipolaris

• Pip
  • 4565 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 06:25 PM

I think that the difference between psychosis, and hallucinations stemming from OCD is the person's level of insight. So, I guess the extent to which you're aware that hallucinations aren't real suggests the likelihood of their being OCD related.
Dx: Bipolar I, ADHD<br />
Rx: Seroquel, 800mg, Lamictal, 150mg, Effexor, 325mg, Wellbutrin, 450, Dexedrine ER, 60mg

#4 klingon001

klingon001

• Pip
  • 889 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 07:06 PM

#5 bpladybug

bpladybug

Your friendly bipolar Aunt

• Pip
  • 4570 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 07:34 PM

But today my therapist said that hallucinations can occur in the context of OCD only: someone with OCD can hear voices and have other hallucinations, for example, and not have psychosis. She said that not only intrusive thoughts but also intrusive voices, sounds, fake or not, whatever can be classified as OCD without psychosis.

If this question is confusing, I'm sorry, but I am confused as well.

I find this very odd. I have read two books about OCD and attended at least 15 OCD Foundation Support groups
and never have I heard a thing about OCD and hallucinations. You might be able to contact the OCD Foundation
and see if this is a rare side effect. What are you going to do if all sources say that OCD does not involve hallucinations,
auditory or otherwise?

Goodluck with this, Ladybug

ladybuglove.jpg

'Mania is a dangerous Mistress.' BPLadybug

Bipolar 1
Treatment: 900 mgs Lithium, 900 mgs Neurontin, 400 mgs Seroquel, Xanax prn, Temazepam, fish oil, vitamins, Vit. D 5, 000 IU, exercize, some talk therapy and CBT Therapy. Exercize helps as does the Light Box; 30 mins every morning. I also have physical health challenges.

#6 klingon001

klingon001

• Pip
  • 889 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:24 AM

#7 Fin

Fin

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 08:39 PM

when I first started seeing my psychiatrist a couple years ago, he asked me if I had any sort of auditory hallucinations. He asked while we were talking about my OCD, and I was confused so I asked what that had to do with anything. He said apparently people with OCD can have auditory hallucinations. I don't know about visual. Though this explains why at night I hear my name being said very clearly. And mexican music.

#8 klingon001

klingon001

• Pip
  • 889 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 03:00 AM

Edited by klingon001, 30 March 2014 - 04:15 PM.

#9 Guest_Birdo_*

Guest_Birdo_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2010 - 06:57 AM

Hey there, I have to say that finding this has been the best gift I could ever receive. I love the positive, mature tone of the posts. I have a 17 son with OCD (as well as high functioning autism) who is having a terrible time with auditory and visual hallucinations. And yes, stress it the trigger, for sure!
Question: my son sees the nasty but he also sees angels that give him peace. Do any of you have positive hallucinations as well? Things that bring you peace? The reason why I ask is because it is reported that those on the autism spectrum have this special 6th sense into the spiritual realm and many parents report their children see angels...without the nasty stuff.
Thanks for any help!
Birdo

#10 Bribarian

Bribarian

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 380 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 02:56 AM

I was going to make another topic and ask, but I guess I'll just post it here.

I don't have visual hallucinations, but I definitely have auditory sometimes.

They're on a very subtle level, almost as if I could say I don't really have them, but they happen.

Sometimes I hear music playing, like tonight I was hearing a band playing, but it turned out to be just some noise from the a/c cause i left the room and returned.

Sometimes I hear people saying "hey" or think I heard someone else say something when they didnt, but that's really not a big deal, I imagine everyone has thought someone said something once in awhile, but the music thing is pretty real.

It sounded like a parade going on outside my house, until I got up and moved around. Not a big deal, just enough to make me stop what I was doing and listen.

Edited by Bribarian, 09 June 2010 - 03:12 AM.

Panic Disorder/OCD/GAD/Recurrent Depression

Lexapro 20mg, Seroquel 50mg, Zyprexa 5mg, Ativan 1 mg PRN

#11 Bribarian

Bribarian

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 380 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 03:02 AM

when I first started seeing my psychiatrist a couple years ago, he asked me if I had any sort of auditory hallucinations. He asked while we were talking about my OCD, and I was confused so I asked what that had to do with anything. He said apparently people with OCD can have auditory hallucinations. I don't know about visual. Though this explains why at night I hear my name being said very clearly. And mexican music.

HOLY SHIT, you have the mexican music too? That is weird. First night I thought I heard music it was mexican music.

#12 jarn

jarn

• Pip
  • 1601 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:59 AM

Sometimes I hear music playing, like tonight I was hearing a band playing, but it turned out to be just some noise from the a/c cause i left the room and returned.

So was the music separate from the AC or was it the AC itself? Sorry, I'm a bit confused (Modafinal hasn't fully kicked in yet ;) )

I sometimes hear stuff from the TV when it isn't on. I think appliances can screw with our minds and our brains need to figure them out and sometimes get it wrong, hence hearing things. (But I don't have OCD so I'll shut up)

Current meds: Saphris 25mg, Latuda 80mg, Lamotrigine 250mg, Pristiq 50mg, Ativan 1mg

#13 Bribarian

Bribarian

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 380 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:21 PM

So was the music separate from the AC or was it the AC itself? Sorry, I'm a bit confused (Modafinal hasn't fully kicked in yet ;) )

I sometimes hear stuff from the TV when it isn't on. I think appliances can screw with our minds and our brains need to figure them out and sometimes get it wrong, hence hearing things. (But I don't have OCD so I'll shut up)

I think it was just my mind playing a trick on me, I guess it was the a/c, but in my mind I heard something else.

#14 Artemisia

Artemisia

• Pip
  • 1006 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:33 PM

I think it was just my mind playing a trick on me, I guess it was the a/c, but in my mind I heard something else.

I think when your brain misinterprets an actual stimulus it's receiving (e.g., the sound of the A/C), that phenomenon is called an illusion. Illusions are a lot more common than actual hallucinations.
The Relevant Basics:

Diagnosis - Depression
Current psych meds - sertraline; zolpidem PRN

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.