Photo
- - - - -

Is anyone taking Bupropion HCL XL (generic Wellbutrin)

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 olga

olga

Life is better when you bring home a furry pal

• Inmate
  • 10510 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 09:03 PM

I've been on Wellbutrin XL 300 for 3 or 4 years now. When the generic by Teva came out, I tried it and it didn't work for me. (The timed release mechanism was screwy, and it released 60% of the active ingredients in the first 4 hours. Afternoons were hell.)

I can't afford name brand stuff anymore, so my doctor and I decided to try another generic. I'm taking Bupropion again, but this one is manufactured by Watson Pharmaceuticals. I've looked around here and out on the web, and I can't find any information about it.

Is anyone on it? How are you doing?

olga

I'm bossy, opinionated, and over 60, so be prepared for advice if you post a question. However, I am not a medical professional, so please consult a doctor about your mental health issues and medications.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Do what you want. I don't have time to spend on people who are mentally ill and refuse treatment.

#2 sylvan

sylvan

Pill Party

• Admin
  • 4262 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 09:16 PM

I know that there are a lot of problems with Bupropion XL and my pdoc would not consider giving me any of the generics. However, he did not know of any problems with Bupropion SR. You may have to take it twice a day but maybe the price difference will be worth it for you.

sylvan

It has been a year since one of the best people that I've ever had the pleasure of knowing passed away. He was strong, intelligent, caring, and honest. I had the honor of calling him Daddy. I will miss both my parents for as long as I live. I hope that I can be even half as good of a spouse, parent, and friend as the two of them were. Life is now forever changed for me. It will never be like it was. That doesn't mean it will all be bad, it will just be different.

#3 Swamp56

Swamp56

• Pip
  • 819 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 09:49 PM

Have you considered switching to SR if the XL still causes you problems?
Dx: Schizoaffective Disorder (Bipolar Type), OCD, Anxiety
Rx: Lamictal 200mg, Seroquel 400mg, Klonopin 1mg prn

#4 olga

olga

• Inmate
  • 10510 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 09:52 PM

Sylvan, I took Wellbutrin SR 4 or 5 years ago, and it did nothing for me. It was weird---no side effects or anything, but I didn't feel a bit of difference in my depression.

Then I tried WB XL and it had an almost instantaneous effect. So I think I want to stick with the XL generic---if it doesn't work, we can definitely go back to the SR and try that.

olga

I'm bossy, opinionated, and over 60, so be prepared for advice if you post a question. However, I am not a medical professional, so please consult a doctor about your mental health issues and medications.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Do what you want. I don't have time to spend on people who are mentally ill and refuse treatment.

#5 celestia

celestia

• Pip
  • 3855 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:08 PM

I'm picking mine up tomorrow. I'll check who makes it. It is generic and it works great. I can't find it on my bottle, so I'll ask when I go in.
diagnoses: MDD/ADD/PTSD
Current meds: Wellbutrin 450/Lexapro 30

#6 Ophelia

Ophelia

I bitch, therefore I am...

• Pip
  • 3287 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:18 PM

I've been on Wellbutrin XL 300 for 3 or 4 years now. When the generic by Teva came out, I tried it and it didn't work for me. (The timed release mechanism was screwy, and it released 60% of the active ingredients in the first 4 hours. Afternoons were hell.)

I can't afford name brand stuff anymore, so my doctor and I decided to try another generic. I'm taking Bupropion again, but this one is manufactured by Watson Pharmaceuticals. I've looked around here and out on the web, and I can't find any information about it.

Is anyone on it? How are you doing?

olga

I'm on the Watson. I also went from name brand to Teva, then back to name brand, an then I had to go back to generic, which was the Watson. Now, I can't really completely fairly assess this since I have been having issues with my meds, but I *can* tell you that I do not remember there being a huge mood dip when I started the watson like there was with the teva.

"Instant gratification takes too long." ~Carrie Fisher

"You're wrong! I do have feelings. I'm an actress! I have all of them." ~Elise Elliot (Goldie Hawn), 'The First Wives Club'

"The defects and faults of the mind are like wounds in the body. After all imaginable care has been taken to heal them up, still there will be a scar left behind." ~Francois de la Rochefoucauld

"It has been said that time heals all wounds. I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue, and the pain lessens, but it is never gone." ~Rose Kennedy

#7 crtclms

crtclms

Queen of Ergots

• Inmate
  • 8757 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 01:20 AM

I am on the Sandoz version, and it works really well. In fact, my dosage was lowered about 4 years ago. Of course, I have added new drugs, but none of them are anti-depressants.

Dx: Bipolar 1; GAD; Migraine w/ Aura; Migraine w/o Aura; Renal Tubular Acidosis (caused by Zonegran); Status Migrainosus
Rx: Alprazolam; Botox; Buproprion; Dihydroergotomine via IV Infusion; Flexeril; Lamotrigine; Latuda; Lithium; Metoclopramide; Midrin; Migranal; Potassium Citrate; Prilosec; Promethazine; Riboflavin; Tizanidine; Verapamil; Vitamin D3
Currently Shelved: Abilify; Amerge; Anaprox; Atenolol; Buspar; Cafergot; Cymbalta; Depakote; Di-Hydro-ergotamine, injected; Gabapentin; Geodon; Imitrex Tablets; Klonopin; Maxalt; Namenda; Nortriptyline; Norvasc; Propranolol; Prozac; Risperidone; Relpax; Sansert; Sumatriptan injectables; Tegretol; Trazadone; Zoloft; Zolpidem; Zomig; Zonegran

Affectations can be dangerous. -Gertrude Stein

I moderate Bipolar, Panic/Anxiety, Dissociative Disorders, Migraine, Seizures, Not Otherwise Specified, Anticonvulsants, Side Effects, Family Feud, and I Still Have Issues. Remember, I am not a medical professional. PM me if you have any questions

#8 DarkendHour

DarkendHour

My reality check bounced

• Pip
  • 732 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 04:13 AM

I know I had tummy issues on that version, but I have tummy issues with just about anything.. just watch out for that because my pdoc said it can come up slow and people don't always notice it.

I hate to see anyone go off a med that works due to money issues, I'm there it sucks.

Have you looked into a patients assistance to get the Wellbutrin XL?

Not sure if it will help you any but my pdoc last gave me Aplenzin (bupropion hydrobromide) Extended Release Tablets.... said it was the same as Wellbutrin XL but there are samples around for it. maybe could be another option for you if the one your trying (going to try?) doesn't fit you right.
Dx - depends on who you ask. Schizoaffective Bipolar type -or- Paranoid Schizophrenic. Some times PTSD or Generalized Anxiety, again depends on the person you ask.

Rx - Burpropion HCL XL (generic for Wellbutrin XL) 150mg 2xday, Perphenazine (Generic for Trilafon) 4mg 2xday

#9 olga

olga

• Inmate
  • 10510 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:42 AM

darkened hour, thanks for your suggestions. I don't mean to infer that we are poor, because we're not. My husband is working and he also gets Social Security, but I'm unemployed so we are trying to watch our expenses as closely as we can. I wouldn't apply for patient assistance because I want it to be there for really poor people who are up against the wall. But I appreciate the suggestion---and I often suggest to people that they get help that way.

My tummy should be okay. I take all my meds with meals and I've never had any kind of stomach trouble. (Which you would know if you could see how well-fed I am! ;) )

Opie and crtclms, thanks for the input. I'll be curious to see how this affects my mood.

Celestia, the manufacturer should be on your pharmacy bottle. On my bottle, it's teeny-tiny print at the very bottom of the label. You need a magnifying glass to read it.

I start tomorrow! Took my last WB today.

olga

#10 vanderk

vanderk

Thimk!

• Pip
  • 849 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:56 AM

I met yesterday with a client who really crashed after picking up her latest WB refill. She recognized it right away as coming from a different manufacturer, but could not recall the name. She had been on generic for two years (I'm guessing Teva, because they got the first crack at off-brand generic) and was very stable. After this change her anxiety went through the roof. This may or may not be an issue, though, as she has a family history of thyroid dysfunction. She's had some labs suggestive of this and I implored her to seek a re-check today. Good to know that Vistaril has been very helpful for her in the interim. I'm anxious (figuratively) to hear the impact of the change for you.

And don't be averse to seeking a patient assistance program. They're not just for indigent folks. I know plenty of recipients who work and are insured, but who lack a prescription benefit. PAP's are not a perfect solution by any stretch of the imagination. But they are there if you need 'em.

Edited by vanderk, 15 April 2010 - 07:57 AM.

I believe in everything, nothing is sacred.
I believe in nothing, everything is sacred.
Ha ha, ho ho,and hee hee.

The Chink

#11 olga

olga

• Inmate
  • 10510 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:04 AM

But I do have a prescription plan! heh If you buy WB XL for full retail, it's something like $300-500/mo, and my plan charges $350/90 days. So I do get a better price, but we've had a lot of expenses lately with teeth and car problems, so we're trying to economize. I just think the assistance programs should be saved for the truly needy, and we aren't needy at all. I have money in the bank, a car that runs, and an income. Oh, and a house with a tiny mortgage and no debt. So I don't want any assistance just yet. Maybe down the road after I spend down all my assets. ;)

Thank goodness I don't have to worry about anxiety. I don't think I've had a truly anxious moment in my life. Well, maybe when that elderly woman was on my windshield....heh. But I'm pretty much just depressed, with no anxiety at all. I can give a spontaneous speech to 500 people with no preparation but a few notes on a scrap of paper. If this stuff makes me anxious, then they have a real problem with their formulation!

Vanderk, she did well on the Teva generic? Man, I crashed with that stuff. I was sitting in my cubicle at work crying over my keyboard. It was not a good substitute for the real thing, for me.

olga

#12 RetinoidReceptor

RetinoidReceptor

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 02:15 AM

It is unfortunate you cannot get the brand name. My drugs aren't working that well for me right now I don't think, but the generic Wellbutrin from TEVA is an absolute nightmare. It even smells like toxic waste (try to smell the pills). I had so many side effects. One of them was severe constipation which I stopped due to this. Now I take the brand name and have no side effects including no constipation. How the fuck can the FDA say these drugs are 'comparable'? Ridiculous. I hope TEVA crashes and burns.

#13 3Degree

3Degree

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 09:28 AM

Olga,

I was on the name brand for a long time. I then HAD to go to the generic b/c of the insurance (Caremark). Walgreen's translated the WB XL to "budeprion XL" and I received the TEVA generic. Didn't like it....... was not the same as the namebrand.

I asked my pdoc to write the scrip specifically for "bupropion XL". And with CVS, I was getting the Watson version. I was OK with it. Better than the TEVA stuff (even though my pdoc still disbelieves it).
"That which you manifest is before you". -Enzo "Somewhere the Zebra is dancing." -Enzo Enzo-isms via Garth Stein The Art of Racing in the Rain

Irritability, Anger Issues DX: Depression

Current Meds: Celexa(40mg) & Risperdal(1.0mg) Blood Pressure Meds, AntiCholesterol Med
Past Meds: Symbyax; Zyprexa (5mg) & Zoloft; Zyprexa & Effexor; Zyprexa/Effexor/Wellbutrin (300mg); Zyprexa/Effexor/Wellbutrin/Geodon
--Switched pdocs (hell coming off Effexor)
Wellbutrin (300mg) & Geodon ==> Ativan PRN; Wellbutrin & Lamictal (never got to 200mg in the titration); Wellbutrin & Lithium (450mg, blood level =0.3); Budeprion XL / Bupropion XL (Teva, & Watson) & Zyprexa (2.5mg); Bupropion XL & Abilify (2.5mg); Bupropion XL (Watson) 300mg, Lamotrigine (Mylan) made it up to 67.5 mg/wk ]; Bupropion XL (Watson) & Zyprexa (2.5mg), ditching the Z next, then the Wellbutrin.
BREAK!
Abilify (2.5mg-5mg); Strattera (60mg); Prozac (10-20mg), Prozac(20mg) & Risperdal (0.5mg);Celexa(20mg) & Risperdal(0.5mg)

#14 olga

olga

• Inmate
  • 10510 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 11:56 AM

Hey, I know about that Teva version. Do a little search on the internet, and you'll see that in 2007, when it came out, there were tons of people who tried it and had bad reactions to it. Turns out that the active ingredient is the same as the name brand stuff, but Teva hasn't perfected the time release part of the formula.

When tests were done on it, the Teva pill released 60% of its active ingredients in the first 4 hours. After that, the patient has very little of it being released and your mood goes down, down, down. I stayed on it for about 6-7 weeks, and I ended up being morose and crying in my cubicle every afternoon at work.

I'm hoping this Watson one is better. A friend of mine here at CB sent me a PM and said that she does well on it.

olga

#15 The Emperor

The Emperor

Is there a hole for me to get sick in?

• Pip
  • 3710 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 12:02 PM

Mine is from Actavis I think, and I think it works just fine. I haven't tried the Watson one yet. I hope it's okay for you. I have when they switch generics on me. I just switched generic klonopin and I do NOT think it works as well as the Teva brand I was using. Ugh.

I hope you do okay on it!

What the docs wrote down about my Crazy: Bipolar II, Some anxiety issue
The pills they give me to fix this shit: Lamictal 175mg, clonazepam 1mg , Trileptal 600mg
Pills that did NOT fix this shit: Sertraline, Buspirone, Mirtazipine, Paroxetine, Gabapentin, Effexor XR, Lorazepam, Cymbalta(twice), Zolpidem, Bupropion XL, Pristiq, Fluoxetine, Vistaril, Lexapro, Celexa, Trazodone, Geodon

Pills that worked well enough but side effects were total shit so I stopped: Abilify, Lithium, valium

sun moon stars rain

#16 olga

olga

• Inmate
  • 10510 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 03:19 PM

Well, NEVER MIND!

I just got my supply and it's the version by Anchen. sigh. I got a 7-day fill-in bottle from the local CVS, and that was the Watson version. This bottle is from my mail pharmacy (required by my insurance) and it's the Anchen one.

On the up side, it's only $20 for 90 days!

On the down side, I have no idea if it will work. heh

I'll keep you all posted.

olga

#17 celestia

celestia

• Pip
  • 3855 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 04:52 PM

If it doesn't ask your pharmacist to order from Watson so you can try it. I get mine from CVS.

Edited by celestia, 16 April 2010 - 04:52 PM.

diagnoses: MDD/ADD/PTSD
Current meds: Wellbutrin 450/Lexapro 30

#18 Guest_CC_*

Guest_CC_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2010 - 02:30 PM

just an fyi that for the last 2 mos I've successfully taken the brandname Wellbutrin XL 300 mg and then I was switched to the TEVA generic "equivalent"...within 4 days I broke out in a rash all over my arms, hands and it was spreading to my legs and under my chin. COSTCO is switching me to the Watson brand, which I hope works because my out-of-pocket expense for the brandname would be $225.00 per month and I can't afford that!

I filed a report about the TEVA on the FDA "MedWatch" site.

#19 Catnapper

Catnapper

Living in the South under Baptist Sharia law.

• Pip
  • 1743 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 05:29 PM

I've been taking the Actavis version of the XL, and it's fine. But on the other hand, I take generics of everything except my blood pressure med which is still under copyright. I am one of the lucky ones who never seems to have trouble with the generics (or don't know any better).
New Improved Diagnosis: Probably BP II (instead of MDD recurrent), or as the pdoc said, "There's clearly some sort of cycle going on." The more I think about it, the more I think he's right. I've started a mood stabilizer and feel better, so I have my fingers crossed I'll stay far away from the abyss.

RX: Generic versions of Lamictal 200 mg, Wellbutrin SR 300 mg, Ambien 10 mg, Gabapentin 900 mg (for hot flashes), lots of vitamins and fish oil tablets.
RX Graveyard: Prozac, Topomax, Zoloft, Vivactil, Adderall, Provigil
DX: Previously DXed with Major Depressive Disorder, Recurrent, Without Psychotic Symptoms; still enjoying Dysthymia and Binge Eating Disorder

"All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental." Kurt Vonnegut, Timequake

#20 Guest_Happy Now on Long Island_*

Guest_Happy Now on Long Island_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2010 - 07:39 AM

[A better generic] I've been on buproprion for many years. I started on Wellbrutrin and was switched to the generic by United Healthcare and Medco. They used a brand that didn't work (you can tell pretty quickly). I switched back to Wellbutrin, paying the extra (large) copay, this was during the time the FDA was still investigating the ineffectiveness of the generics (apparently because of the binder/release mechanism). After a few months, tired of paying so much and figuring that the FDA may have pushed the generics to be more effective, I switched back to generic and believed they were working. Lately, though, things just didn't seem to be right. This month I was late sending in the mail order so I went to CVS to fill the script. Their brand worked sooooo much better (again, you know how easy it is to tell). Determined that Medco uses Anchen generic, and CVS uses Watson. I can buy the CVS brand for only about $30 more every 90 days, so I'm doing that for the next 2 orders, too. But I contacted Medco and their policy permits them to buy Watson if the doctor instructs them to do it on the script. I encourage you all to do this--if Medco gets the message and switches manufacturers we can make so many people feel better. If not, at least you'll feel better. [I'm just a patient, by the way, and in case anyone is cynical, I have no connection to Watson, own none of its stock, and just wanted to help after finding this discussion list when looking for any confirmation of what I experienced.]

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.