Adderal and face/neck flushing

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 PerfectlyFlawed

PerfectlyFlawed

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 11:59 AM

Has anyone experienced face/neck flushing with Adderal? I am getting these "flushes" that almost feel like an adrenaline rush. The odd thing is that it seems like a stress response i.e. when one gets angry or frightened and your heart starts beating quickly, you sweat, and face can get red. But this is happening at the most insignificant "events". Something that I consciously perceive as a small thing e.g. I'm mildly annoyed or uncomfortable or embarrassed, will cause these symptoms -- particularly my face getting very red but also I can feel my heartbeat increase.

The response just seems so disproportionate to the way I feel that I'm concerned something else is going on. Could Adderal affect my adrenal glands and/or cause these effects? I asked my pdoc about this and he said that it is unlikely to cause this type of symptom sporadically. He seems to think that if it was the Adderal I would feel that way all the time.

Thoughts? Similar experiences?

Thanks!
-PerfectlyFlawed

#2 Maddy

Maddy

Shadow of nothing

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 3970 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 12:12 PM

I don't know if emotional lability would cause those symptoms but it is listed as one of the side effects.
http://www.drugs.com...de-effects.html

I <3 my meds!
DX: undifferentiated schizophrenia
RX: Fanapt, Topamax, Ativan, Celexa

Past RX: Paxil, Prozac, Zoloft, Lexapro, Remeron, Strattera, Trazodone, Lamictal, Neurontin, Depakote, Lithium, Vistaril, Buspar, Clonidine, Tegretol, Gabitril, Keppra, Depakene, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Haldol, Abilify, Saphris, Adderall, Valium, Primidone. I know there are others I've forgotten over the years.
Boards I mod: Schizophrenia & Various Psychoses, Hormone & Glandular Problems, any others as needed.

#3 PerfectlyFlawed

PerfectlyFlawed

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 12:50 PM

I don't know if emotional lability would cause those symptoms but it is listed as one of the side effects.
http://www.drugs.com...de-effects.html

Thanks. I'll check out the page.
-PF
-PerfectlyFlawed

#4 Catnapper

Catnapper

Living in the South under Baptist Sharia law.

• Pip
  • 1744 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 01:00 PM

Is rosacea a possibility for you? Here is a cut and paste link for you since I can never get the links here to work:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosacea

I have had rosacea for years (I'm 50) and have it more or less controlled with prescription creams. It's not completely gone, but it would be worse without any treatment. I was just at the dermatologist yesterday, as a matter of fact.

I have very fair skin, always sunburn, and blush easily. My most consistent trigger is stress, which is a pain, especially because I can modulate my voice and facial expression, but that damn red flush gives me away every time. I have very rarely had any acne breakouts, but the red flush has been my constant companion.

I can definitely tell when my face is flushing as it's an uncomfortable situation, to say the least. Hope you get to the bottom of your symtoms, a visit to your GP or a dermatologist may be in order, especially if you're fair-skinned.
New Improved Diagnosis: Probably BP II (instead of MDD recurrent), or as the pdoc said, "There's clearly some sort of cycle going on." The more I think about it, the more I think he's right. I've started a mood stabilizer and feel better, so I have my fingers crossed I'll stay far away from the abyss.

RX: Generic versions of Lamictal 200 mg, Wellbutrin SR 300 mg, Ambien 10 mg, Gabapentin 900 mg (for hot flashes), lots of vitamins and fish oil tablets.
RX Graveyard: Prozac, Topomax, Zoloft, Vivactil, Adderall, Provigil
DX: Previously DXed with Major Depressive Disorder, Recurrent, Without Psychotic Symptoms; still enjoying Dysthymia and Binge Eating Disorder

"All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental." Kurt Vonnegut, Timequake

#5 PerfectlyFlawed

PerfectlyFlawed

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 01:44 PM

Is rosacea a possibility for you? Here is a cut and paste link for you since I can never get the links here to work:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosacea

I have had rosacea for years (I'm 50) and have it more or less controlled with prescription creams. It's not completely gone, but it would be worse without any treatment. I was just at the dermatologist yesterday, as a matter of fact.

I have very fair skin, always sunburn, and blush easily. My most consistent trigger is stress, which is a pain, especially because I can modulate my voice and facial expression, but that damn red flush gives me away every time. I have very rarely had any acne breakouts, but the red flush has been my constant companion.

I can definitely tell when my face is flushing as it's an uncomfortable situation, to say the least. Hope you get to the bottom of your symtoms, a visit to your GP or a dermatologist may be in order, especially if you're fair-skinned.

A friend of mine (who also suffers from the dreaded "R" suggested the same thing. It just seems strange that this would suddenly appear. I am 44 and never had any problem like this before. Although in doing some preliminary research on it I did note that it can appear in adulthood (kind of like adult-onset allergies).

I guess I'm resisting this possibility because I know there's not much I can do about it i.e. that the symptom that is the most annoying (the red face) is difficult to treat. I read that beta-blockers are sometimes prescribed to control flushing (including for Rosecea), but I am loathe to add another med if it's not absolutely necessary. The biggest problem is that I work an industry where I have to speak in public often, give presentations, and otherwise deliberately put myself in situations where one is normally a little stressed. But this has never been an issue until now. BTW I completely identify with your frustration in being able to control your voice/facial expressions and not the flushing. I am exactly the same way! Before this flushing thing, even if I was legitimately stressed or filled with "stage fright", no one could ever tell because I too am able to put on "that face" very effectively. As a matter of fact I have commented to friends/colleagues that I had been nervous during "x" presentation and they always remark that, even knowing me well, they couldn't tell at all. But now, I'll be sitting in a management meeting (a place where I am completely comfortable) and giving my weekly update and can literally FEEL the red climbing up my face! I worry that people think I am misleading them about something as my physical seems to belie my words. Arghhhhhhh!!!!

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Even though it is not the suggestion/answer I would prefer, it still helps to hear from someone else who identifies with this very frustrating symptom -- as if we don't have enough to deal with in life already!

Just to clarify - have you had this your whole life or did it start later? I am fair-skinned and have always burned easily but never had the blushing problem. Also, you say you have it "more or less controlled". If I may ask, what are you taking?

If you'd be interested, I'll let you know what the docs say (I'm going to take your advice and go see a dermatologist). But don't feel compelled to stay tuned! ;)

Best,
-PF
-PerfectlyFlawed

#6 AirMarshall

AirMarshall

Jumping the CB Shark

• Pip
  • 6686 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 02:31 PM

The response just seems so disproportionate to the way I feel that I'm concerned something else is going on. Could Adderal affect my adrenal glands and/or cause these effects? I asked my pdoc about this and he said that it is unlikely to cause this type of symptom sporadically. He seems to think that if it was the Adderal I would feel that way all the time.

Yes, Adderall does affect your adrenal system. It causes increase heart rate, elevated blood pressure, increased body temperature, increased perspiration, anxiousness, mood reactivity.

In extreme cases it can cause mania and psychosis.

So yes, what you have experienced is not unexpected or unusual.

a.m.

p.s. My pdoc took away my Adderall a couple months ago because it seemed to be making me flip manic.

**My work is done.  Swimming for the nearest shore.**

#7 PerfectlyFlawed

PerfectlyFlawed

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 02:40 PM

Yes, Adderall does affect your adrenal system. It causes increase heart rate, elevated blood pressure, increased body temperature, increased perspiration, anxiousness, mood reactivity.

In extreme cases it can cause mania and psychosis.

So yes, what you have experienced is not unexpected or unusual.

a.m.

p.s. My pdoc took away my Adderall a couple months ago because it seemed to be making me flip manic.

So what did you do? Were you on Adderal for ADD? If so how did you deal with those symptoms without the Adderal? I don't think I can function w/o something to slow down and focus my brain but if this if affecting my heart/adrenal then I may have to. I'm worried about long-term, irreversible damage and that trumps a jumpy mind in my book.

Tnx!
-PerfectlyFlawed

#8 Catnapper

Catnapper

Living in the South under Baptist Sharia law.

• Pip
  • 1744 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 02:44 PM

Rosacea typically starts between 30 to 60 years old so having it show up at 44 isn't really surprising, and if you're fair-skinned you have a high likelihood of having it if you're flushing a lot.

I first recall people commenting on how easily/extremely red I blushed when I was about 30. I have some pictures from my mid-thirties where it's clear I have it, but since I didn't know it existed and my doctor apparently didn't either, it was never treated until I was about 40.

I have used the main creams/gels prescribed for rosacea, Metrogel, Finacea, and Noritate, not at the same time (although sometimes one kind in the am and another in the pm). Your dermatologist / GP will prescribe them to be applied either once or twice a day, and then you can put moisturizer or make-up or sunblock or whatever over them. They do help. You also may be prescribed a short course (a few months) of antibiotics, there is some evidence that an imbalance of bacteria in the gut can exacerbate the symptoms. If you're having any acne symptoms the antibiotics will also tone them down.

The bad news is they really don't know what causes it, and so there's no cure, just treatment of symptoms. If you're female, a make-up with a green-tinted base also helps (sounds crazy, but true) to cover it up, try Clinique, they have some things that help.

Over time I developed those little red veins in my cheeks, nose and chin, and had them removed by laser. It helped a lot, and lasted a long time (a few years). As my doctor pointed out, if there are less capillaries at the skin surface some of the redness will end. Lately I seem to have more overall redness and not so many veins, although I can see them coming back. The doctor who did the laser said they would so it's nothing unexpected.

It's worth finding out if rosacea is what's wrong and treating it if it is since it can get worse over time if untreated, and can ultimately result in a big red nose like W.C. Fields. The red nose associated with drinking is usually just untreated rosacea.

And yes, please post an update!
New Improved Diagnosis: Probably BP II (instead of MDD recurrent), or as the pdoc said, "There's clearly some sort of cycle going on." The more I think about it, the more I think he's right. I've started a mood stabilizer and feel better, so I have my fingers crossed I'll stay far away from the abyss.

RX: Generic versions of Lamictal 200 mg, Wellbutrin SR 300 mg, Ambien 10 mg, Gabapentin 900 mg (for hot flashes), lots of vitamins and fish oil tablets.
RX Graveyard: Prozac, Topomax, Zoloft, Vivactil, Adderall, Provigil
DX: Previously DXed with Major Depressive Disorder, Recurrent, Without Psychotic Symptoms; still enjoying Dysthymia and Binge Eating Disorder

"All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental." Kurt Vonnegut, Timequake

#9 PerfectlyFlawed

PerfectlyFlawed

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 02:49 PM

Rosacea typically starts between 30 to 60 years old so having it show up at 44 isn't really surprising, and if you're fair-skinned you have a high likelihood of having it if you're flushing a lot.

I first recall people commenting on how easily/extremely red I blushed when I was about 30. I have some pictures from my mid-thirties where it's clear I have it, but since I didn't know it existed and my doctor apparently didn't either, it was never treated until I was about 40.

I have used the main creams/gels prescribed for rosacea, Metrogel, Finacea, and Noritate, not at the same time (although sometimes one kind in the am and another in the pm). Your dermatologist / GP will prescribe them to be applied either once or twice a day, and then you can put moisturizer or make-up or sunblock or whatever over them. They do help. You also may be prescribed a short course (a few months) of antibiotics, there is some evidence that an imbalance of bacteria in the gut can exacerbate the symptoms. If you're having any acne symptoms the antibiotics will also tone them down.

The bad news is they really don't know what causes it, and so there's no cure, just treatment of symptoms. If you're female, a make-up with a green-tinted base also helps (sounds crazy, but true) to cover it up, try Clinique, they have some things that help.

Over time I developed those little red veins in my cheeks, nose and chin, and had them removed by laser. It helped a lot, and lasted a long time (a few years). As my doctor pointed out, if there are less capillaries at the skin surface some of the redness will end. Lately I seem to have more overall redness and not so many veins, although I can see them coming back. The doctor who did the laser said they would so it's nothing unexpected.

It's worth finding out if rosacea is what's wrong and treating it if it is since it can get worse over time if untreated, and can ultimately result in a big red nose like W.C. Fields. The red nose associated with drinking is usually just untreated rosacea.

And yes, please post an update!

Thanks. Will look into all of the above and post an update.
-PerfectlyFlawed

#10 AirMarshall

AirMarshall

Jumping the CB Shark

• Pip
  • 6686 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 03:26 PM

So what did you do? Were you on Adderal for ADD? If so how did you deal with those symptoms without the Adderal? I don't think I can function w/o something to slow down and focus my brain but if this if affecting my heart/adrenal then I may have to. I'm worried about long-term, irreversible damage and that trumps a jumpy mind in my book.

Tnx!

Do? Nothing. I'm stumbling around forgetting things, often giving up on reading an article becaue it's too hard.. And I've quit going to my classes. *shrug*. I'm not happy about it.

2. Oh, I've never heard of ADD being progressive or causing brain damage.

**My work is done.  Swimming for the nearest shore.**

#11 PerfectlyFlawed

PerfectlyFlawed

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 03:36 PM

Tnx!

Do? Nothing. I'm stumbling around forgetting things, often giving up on reading an article becaue it's too hard.. And I've quit going to my classes. *shrug*. I'm not happy about it.

2. Oh, I've never heard of ADD being progressive or causing brain damage.

Sorry to hear that, AM; I know what that's like and it's not fun. I went off Adderal meds for awhile and didn't pick up a newspaper, book or read a blog for nearly the entire period. The only news I could comprehend and hang onto was tv (maybe the combo of ear and eye stimuli helped??). But then one is stuck with the superficial crap news that's on tv. Not a solution.

Tnx for the follow-up.

p.s. I meant long-term damage from Adderal, not ADD.
-PerfectlyFlawed

#12 aestuous

aestuous

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 04:44 PM

Are you on brand Adderall or generic, and if the latter, have you tried switching manufacturers? It might be something in the filler ingredients triggering an allergy...dyes are a common suspect. I experienced flushing on brand Dextrostat (which contains, among other inactives, Yellow 5), switched to a generic, and the flushing stopped. Thankfully the generic was equally effective for me insofar as mental effects were concerned. I'm pretty sure it was related to some inactive component of the Dextrostat...which one, I can't say for sure, and I've never been tested for dye allergies.

I actually thought it was rosacea in the beginning: I went to a dermatologist who said, no, it didn't look like it (also, I couldn't flush on command to show him!) but to carefully evaluate everything in my diet, meds included.

Good luck! Sounds incredibly frustrating.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.