• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 netsavy006

netsavy006

I'm Andy

• Pip
  • 2177 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:33 PM

How is Topamax as a mood stabilizer? I'm not trying to use it alone but use it in combination with Lithium 900mg/day.

Thanks,
Andy...

- Andy -
Dx: Asperger's + Schizoaffective Disorder - Bipolar Type + Panic Disorder w/o Agoraphobia + Acid Reflex Disease
Rx: Lithium 900mg + Xanax 0.5mg QID + Celexa 10mg + Clozaril 325mg + Pantoprazole + Centrum + Fish Oil

#2 Swamp56

Swamp56

• Pip
  • 819 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 07:48 PM

Usually it augments another medication. By itself, I'm not sure.
Dx: Schizoaffective Disorder (Bipolar Type), OCD, Anxiety
Rx: Lamictal 200mg, Seroquel 400mg, Klonopin 1mg prn

#3 tryp

tryp

Bawk Bawk Therapy Cranes!

• Inmate
  • 6891 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 07:49 PM

If you're on it and it's working for you, it's good enough ;)

Dx: Complex PTSD
Tx: Lamictal (250) + prazosin (7.5) + "therapy"

#4 gizmo

gizmo

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it.

• Pip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 08:41 PM

I've been on it for about 4 1/2 years as a migraine preventative. Doesn't really do anything for my mood. Does contribute to my general stupidity and occasional aphasia. Works excellent as a migraine prevention med.
Diagnosis: BP I with Psychotic Features, GAD, ADHD, Chronic Migraines, various physical stuff.
Meds Currently On: Depakote 2000 mg, Risperdal 8 mg, Latuda 80 mg, Prozac 60 mg, Vyvanse 70 mg, Propranolol 40 mg BID, Klonopin 2 mg BID PRN
Meds Sort-Of Mental Related: Lipitor 40 mg, Zofran 4 mg PRN, Fioricet PRN, Stadol PRN, Botox received on 8/16/13

I post on an iPhone, so please forgive grammatical errors or strange word inclusions. It's the auto correct!

#5 nalgas

nalgas

Please go stand by the stairs so I can protect you.

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 2121 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 08:45 PM

Some people have very good luck with it for mood. Others get no effect at all. When it works, it can work well, but it's very hit or miss. There's a reason both why it's farther down the list of things to try for mood stabilization but still somewhere on that list.

#6 withing

withing

tired of being tired...

• Pip
  • 3018 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:02 PM

It has been my miracle drug. They can take my Topamax out of my cold, dead hand because it's the *only* one that has worked for me. I take it with an anti-depressant (Welbutrin) and an anti-psychotic (Seroquel). I get some dopey side effects - esp. when it comes to words and spelling - but other than that, I'm good to go.
`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~
The Past is the textbook of tyrants; the Future the Bible of the Free. Those who are solely governed by the Past stand like Lot's wife, crystallized in the act of looking backward, and forever incapable of looking before. ~Herman Melville, White Jacket
DX: Bipolar (flavor undecided) & various physical stuff
RX: Topamax: 100mg, Seroquel: 200mg, Welbutrin XL: 300

...and then,
Buffy staked Edward.

~~The End~~

#7 crtclms

crtclms

Queen of Ergots

• Inmate
  • 9542 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 04:37 AM

I took it as prophylaxis for migraine, and had some kidney damage (I had some prior damage, so that may have made me more prone). I also got the stupids, and it was doing something in my gut where I was constantly gassy and uncomfortable. It didn't work for me for migraines either. YMMV.

Dx: Bipolar 1; GAD; Migraine w/ Aura; Migraine w/o Aura; Renal Tubular Acidosis (caused by Zonegran); Status Migrainosus
Rx: Alprazolam; Botox; Buproprion; Dihydroergotomine via IV Infusion; Fish Oil; Flexeril; Lamotrigine; Latuda; Lithium; Metoclopramide; Midrin; Migranal; Potassium Citrate; Prilosec; Promethazine; Riboflavin; Tizanidine; Verapamil; Vitamin D3
Currently Shelved: Abilify; Amerge; Anaprox; Atenolol; Buspar; Cafergot; Cymbalta; Depakote; Di-Hydro-ergotamine, injected; Gabapentin; Geodon; Imitrex Tablets; Klonopin; Maxalt; Namenda; Nortriptyline; Norvasc; Propranolol; Prozac; Risperidone; Relpax; Sansert; Sumatriptan injectables; Tegretol; Trazadone; Zoloft; Zolpidem; Zomig; Zonegran

Affectations can be dangerous. -Gertrude Stein

I moderate the boards for Bipolar, Panic/Anxiety, Dissociative Disorders, Migraine, Neuropathic and Chronic Pain, Seizures, Not Otherwise Specified, Anticonvulsants, Side Effects, Family Feud, Relationships, and I Still Have Issues. Remember, I am not a medical professional. PM me if you have any questions

#8 fluffybirdie

fluffybirdie

• Pip
  • 444 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 08:19 PM

I'm with Withing, it's been my miracle. I'm not diagnosed bipolar, but MDD and GAD with bipolar leanings or whatever. Anyways, tried Lamictal and Abilify without the best of luck but Topamax keeps me beyond even with no side effects. It's for sure not a first line treatment, but if your doc brings it up, it doesn't hurt to try. It was what my little cocktail needed to make me "me again". I consider myself very lucky with it.

#9 angelinwhite

angelinwhite

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 03:08 PM

I tried topamax years ago when it came out. I had to quit using it because of severe cognitive impairement. I convinced my pdoc to try it again. He was reluctant because he says it's not a promising mood stabilizer but agreed to let me try it. The second time it gave me severe shortness of breathe and I didn't stick with it.
I hope it works for you, it's hard finding the right combo of meds.

#10 kdbee

kdbee

my friends love my "quirks"!

• Pip
  • 364 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 09:50 AM

I just started it. But I take Abilify as well. We'll see. Fingers crossed!
Alright. Here you go--

DX/Issues: BP2 (mixed+rapid cycling), OCD, ADD, EDNOS, anorexia nervosa (recovered), BDD, some sort of avoidant shit, really bad & constant paranoia about everything, domestic abuse survivor

Drugs: Lexapro 10, Wellbutrin 450, Abilify 15, Klonopin 2 (max 6mg/day), Adderall 20-30

Past R/X's: Lithium (tried twice), Lamictal (complete hell), Depakote, Abilify (tried twice. second time worked amazingly. AMAZINGLY! Unfortunately, I simply cannot afford it...), Luvox (tried twice), Prozac, Paxil, Effexor, Geodon, Dexedrine (did nothing), Ativan (really good for social phobia), Restoril, Wellbutrin (working amazingly this time around)

Other EEG Biofeedback (worked miracles for my OCD. My compulsions are infrequent and when they happen are manageable the vast majority of the time. Obsessions still happen, not as bad and are manageable), acupuncture- I did this for about a year and a half. While it helped greatly with some problems (my screwed up digestive system, poor immune system, constant lethargy) it did nothing to improve any aspect of my mental health. That said, I definitely think it's worth giving a try :)

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.