Is thorazine as bad as I hear?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 candela

candela

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 08:41 PM

Just went back on my " favorite" aap Seroquel after being on a typical for a year. I forgot how tired Seroquel makes me. Slept half the day and not even at my whole dose yet. Already have problems oversleeping with other meds.

Shrink mentioned thorazine as option since I've been on everything else. I'm scared of it but wonder if it's as bad as everyone says. Can't you just take it at night or something? Does it really make you drool? How is it on weight gain?
Diagnosis: Mystery Meat composed of Anorexia and some disagreed upon combo of Bipolar I, Schizoaffective, Disassociative NOS, and Psychotic episodes. Five different professionals and none of them agree. Lots of milder dx in the the past. My favorite was neurotic depression, which no longer exists as a in the DSM.

Current Meds: Lithium, Zoloft, Vistrail, Seroquel, Concerta, Topamax
Past Meds: I've been on just about everything in all categories except Navene,Thorazine, Clozapine, Xanax, and any form of shot.

"The eyes of others our prisons, their thoughts our cages." - Virginia Woolf

#2 Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis

The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering.

• Admin
  • 13230 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 11:47 PM

I took it as a sleep med for a while. I didn't have any problems or side effects. Have you tried any of the other old school APs? Haldol is worth a shot if you've never tried it.

De-gnosis: ADD, recurrent depression (or maybe bpII in the guise of such), Asperger's, OCD, social anxiety
Today's Pill Menu: Dexedrine, Wellbutrin (Budeprion), Strattera, Celexa, Risperdal, and clonazepam

Like other moderators and staff of crazyboards.org, I am not a health care professional. You have no way of knowing that I am not talking out my ass. Please do your own homework before making any health related decisions.

Buy me Stuff: Amazon Wishlist

#3 Aurochs

Aurochs

I've got a lot on my mind and a lot of gun in my hand.

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 838 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 02:31 AM

If quetiapine makes you sleepy than chlorpromazine is likely to do the same. It's a very strong antihistamine. There's a reason why antipsychotics were once called "major tranquilizers".

Weight gain is a known side effect, but I'm not sure how chlorpromazine compares to AAPs on that.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." --Carl Sagan

#4 candela

candela

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 12:46 PM

I took it as a sleep med for a while. I didn't have any problems or side effects. Have you tried any of the other old school APs? Haldol is worth a shot if you've never tried it.

I like your fried chicken dinner photo...makes a noneater hungry!

Alas, I have tried a few of the typicals, including Haldol several times. The first time I was on Haldol for several months it wasn't so bad. No weight gain, no drowsiness, but a little spacey at times.It muted the voices, well turned the volume down low and dealt with the paranoia issues. I got really depressed on it, but I'm not sure if it was a symptom of the Haldol, although I've read it can cause depression. I think I was on a low dose of Cmybalta at the time. And I had to take Artane, which I think can make you depressed too, but I might be wrong about that. It made me very restless, but the depression was horrid. My doctor took me off immediately when I got depressed and put me on lexapro and seroquel, which worked wonders and people even commented on how much more alert I seemed. within two months my symptoms (paranoia, voices) were gone but they came back and seroquel has helped some since but it's really sedating.

I developed a reaction to artane and over the years, probably due to other meds I was taking. I had vision problems, like seeing shadowy, tracing, shapes, ghost like images which I knew were not ghosts but eye problems. So when I decided to give Haldol another go last year, i tried cogentin. I was driving around town, stopped at a coffee shop to meet someone and we ere reading something and my eyes couldn't focus. The entire page was a blur. Naturally I figured it was the cogentin, but called the pharmacy and they said it could be the Haldol. My doctor took me off both. My Haldol days are over.

I also tried Trilafon, which I love and is in the same category as thorazine. I've been on it for almost a year, on a tiny dose because it makes me restless and it makes me gain weight, plus it interacts with everything I take practically, as does thorazine I've discovered. I love it because it used to make me wake up really early in the a.m. around 5 and it helps with the positive symptoms, dulls them, makes you feel good. My old doc was a big fan. I've been on it 4 or 5 times. I was looking for other meds in that category, but they all conteract with my other meds or have scary side effects. Have any other suggestions?

I can't take Clozapine because I don't have health insurance and can't get my blood work done every week. I'm thinking about a shot, but need to do more research.

what's worked for you?

Edited by candela, 25 April 2010 - 12:49 PM.

Diagnosis: Mystery Meat composed of Anorexia and some disagreed upon combo of Bipolar I, Schizoaffective, Disassociative NOS, and Psychotic episodes. Five different professionals and none of them agree. Lots of milder dx in the the past. My favorite was neurotic depression, which no longer exists as a in the DSM.

Current Meds: Lithium, Zoloft, Vistrail, Seroquel, Concerta, Topamax
Past Meds: I've been on just about everything in all categories except Navene,Thorazine, Clozapine, Xanax, and any form of shot.

"The eyes of others our prisons, their thoughts our cages." - Virginia Woolf

#5 netsavy006

netsavy006

I'm Andy

• Pip
  • 2177 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 01:15 PM

All I can say about thorazine is that I had an allergy to it (vomiting and diarrhea). So, I can't take Thorazine. I was tried on 10mg BID.

Other atypicals out there that won't require blood work are Zyprexa, Risperdal, Invega, Saphris, Fanapt, Abilify, Geodon.

Edited by netsavy006, 25 April 2010 - 01:19 PM.

- Andy -
Dx: Asperger's + Schizoaffective Disorder - Bipolar Type + Panic Disorder w/o Agoraphobia + Acid Reflex Disease
Rx: Lithium 900mg + Xanax 0.5mg QID + Celexa 10mg + Clozaril 325mg + Pantoprazole + Centrum + Fish Oil

#6 helenllama

helenllama

Alba gu Brath

• Pip
  • 519 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 10:13 PM

I used thorazine for 9 months.
I loved it and was at a low dose which worked for me. Although it was mainly taken at night I could and did use it PRN in the day and still function.

Of the typicals it is in the group least likely cause extra pyramidal symptoms but more likely to make you fatigued.

Oh and the good thing for you is that there will be many generic's out, unlike the atypicals where the only risperidone (risperdal) is available in generic as far as I know.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.