Photo

Anyone experience Abilify causing mania?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 eccentrik_drummer_chik

eccentrik_drummer_chik

Arghh......

• Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 01:16 AM

I posted a week ago about how I've felt heightened senses, especially hearing, that were causing me to be freaked out and reactive when I was alone. I finally have figured out that I'm definately feeling manic, I'm taking my 900mg dose of lithium instead of 600mg, and it's still not squelching it. I had a duh moment just now, I've been on Abilify for three weeks now, only 2.5mg, but maybe for the first 1.5 weeks it built up in my system, and then for the last 1.5 weeks I've been manic. I did a quick google and it does seem that Abilify can cause mania. I can't stand this feeling! Anyone else have this experience with Abilify?

One other feeling that stands out is the feeling of being on a moving elevator, I've just sorta gotten used to it.....

Thanks.....

Bipolar & Anxiety

Current Meds: Depakote 500mg, Celexa 20mg, Ambien 10mg, Clonazepam .5mg PRN, Propranolol 20mg, Gabapentin 100mg PRN

#2 klingon001

klingon001

• Pip
  • 889 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 05:03 AM

Edited by klingon001, 31 March 2014 - 06:32 PM.

#3 eccentrik_drummer_chik

eccentrik_drummer_chik

Arghh......

• Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 11:42 AM

What are your current manic symptoms, besides the heightened senses?

I'm feeling the way I had felt for many months straight before I was diagnosed with bipolar II and prescribed lithium, which is a constant agitated state (not as bad as it used to be though), very edgey. The other day I went from normal to beating the couch with a stick and having to put a lot of effort into not throwing my phone across the room because I thought my girlfriend was hurting me in some way (don't even remember now). My phone that had just came back to life after a few days of seeming death after I dropped it into the toilet, and didn't need any more abuse. And I'm back to paranoid thinking, but also not as bad as before.....

Bipolar & Anxiety

Current Meds: Depakote 500mg, Celexa 20mg, Ambien 10mg, Clonazepam .5mg PRN, Propranolol 20mg, Gabapentin 100mg PRN

#4 llama44

llama44

llama-licious

• Pip
  • 1146 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 01:01 PM

It could be that you aren't on a high enough dose. The usual dose for mood stabilization for bp is at least 10mg I think. You are on a dose for people who take it as an add on antidepressant. You may want to ask your pdoc why. I was on 30mg for almost 2 years. But I was psychotic and needed a high dose. 30mg is the max dose recommended.

But yes, abilify was great at squelching the mania for me, but did cause me to become very, very anxious/restless day in and day out. I would pace around the room for hours because I just felt like I NEEDED to move around. I constantly had to be on the go. I didn't realize it at the time but now that I'm off of abilify I don't constantly "have to be on the go."
Diagnoses: Schizoaffective Bipolar Type ("Significant, Severe, Chronic, and Clear Cut"), Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Anorexia (in remission; dx in early teen years), OCD (dx in early teen years)

Current Meds: 600mg Seroquel, 30mg Abilify, 100mg Trazodone, 200mg Lamictal, 300mg Effexor XR, 3mg Klonopin.

Some days are better than others, but I do what I can.

How I'm doing now: I am down and am suicidal. I want to stay in bed forever. I never want to leave the apartment. The voices have been really bothering me. They also put thoughts in my head that aren't mine. They do this to torture me constantly. It is never silent.

#5 eccentrik_drummer_chik

eccentrik_drummer_chik

Arghh......

• Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 02:14 PM

It could be that you aren't on a high enough dose. The usual dose for mood stabilization for bp is at least 10mg I think. You are on a dose for people who take it as an add on antidepressant. You may want to ask your pdoc why.

I'm on a low dose because I've just taken it for three weeks, I guess I assume she'll up the dose. I think the lithium was being enough to keep mania down, or I know it was, but I think I told pdoc I was sometimes depressed, was having weepy periods. But quite honestly I'd take that than feeling heightened/reactive senses, angry moods and paranoia.

To me, your description of having to be on the go and restless would make me think that on the bipolar spectrum, it made you be on the manic end, even if not enough for it to be negative for you. For me for some reason, when I now get manic it's always mixed, yes I feel energetic and motivated, but I also want to scream and cry and break things. Just not fun.

Thanks.....

Bipolar & Anxiety

#6 llama44

llama44

llama-licious

• Pip
  • 1146 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 02:20 PM

Yeah, you just may be right about it making me more on the manic end of things! I guess I never thought of it like that.

I hope you get your meds straightened out so you can start feeling better!
Diagnoses: Schizoaffective Bipolar Type ("Significant, Severe, Chronic, and Clear Cut"), Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Anorexia (in remission; dx in early teen years), OCD (dx in early teen years)

Current Meds: 600mg Seroquel, 30mg Abilify, 100mg Trazodone, 200mg Lamictal, 300mg Effexor XR, 3mg Klonopin.

Some days are better than others, but I do what I can.

How I'm doing now: I am down and am suicidal. I want to stay in bed forever. I never want to leave the apartment. The voices have been really bothering me. They also put thoughts in my head that aren't mine. They do this to torture me constantly. It is never silent.

#7 MissIngOutOnLife

MissIngOutOnLife

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 06:46 PM

Didn't cause me Mania. Just helped me become a size 14 in 6 months. I am now back to an 8 after going off it.
I have been on over 25 different meds and for some reason I had the largest weight gain on Abilify.
Bipolar, PTSD, OCD, Panic Disorder
~
Effexor XR 150 mg AM ~Deplin AM ~HCT 12.5 mg AM (to lower Blood Pressure thanks to the Effexor)
~Ativan 1 mg PRN
~Lamictal 150 mg bedtime ~Geodon 20 mg bedtime ~Trazodone 100 mg bedtime
~Niaspan bedtime with baby aspirin (to protect my heart)

#8 eccentrik_drummer_chik

eccentrik_drummer_chik

Arghh......

• Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 11:35 PM

I have been on over 25 different meds and for some reason I had the largest weight gain on Abilify.

Interesting to know, thanks.....

Bipolar & Anxiety

#9 Tempestia

Tempestia

• Pip
  • 237 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 11:58 PM

At first I took it at night to help with sleep but then it was too activating so the pdoc changed it to mornings and then ...pshhh I couldn't take it anymore because it made me manic
Bipolar 1, PTSD, Migraine

Lamictal 100 mg, Seroquel 25-100 at bedtime, nexium, estrace, synthroid, maxalt prn, multivitamin, motrin as needed

If you do what you have always done, you will get what you always got

#10 eccentrik_drummer_chik

eccentrik_drummer_chik

Arghh......

• Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 12:20 AM

pshhh I couldn't take it anymore because it made me manic

I guess I'm wondering why it's prescribed to people with bipolar if it can cause mania! I'm glad I pinpointed what was causing it in me, at least I assume that's what it is, as the only other new drug is the Ambien.....

Bipolar & Anxiety

#11 notfred

notfred

• Pip
  • 2426 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 12:27 AM

I guess I'm wondering why it's prescribed to people with bipolar if it can cause mania! I'm glad I pinpointed what was causing it in me, at least I assume that's what it is, as the only other new drug is the Ambien.....

Abilify has an indication for the treatment of manic or mixed episodes in BP I. It is a pretty good AD and activating so it can push some BP folks into mixed or manic states. So it can cause what it seeks to treat. Others do just fine on it, so YMMV.

nf

#12 About:blank

About:blank

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 04:40 PM

pshhh I couldn't take it anymore because it made me manic

It sounds like you're experiencing akathisia, which isn't the same thing as mania. I think for a lot of people, it eventually goes away or minimizes enough that they can continue using Abilify. For me, it was intolerable and my doc switched me to something else.

ETA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akathisia

Edited by About:blank, 27 April 2010 - 04:48 PM.

#13 glitterpants

glitterpants

dork!

• Pip
  • 219 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 07:00 PM

I have a friend with cyclothymia who didn't get quite manic, but got very restless and agitated on too much abilify. She got terrible insomnia and just got super restless; I think she was describing akathisia. She had to reduce her dosage from 10 mg to 7 mg. It can be very activating for some people, especially at higher doses.

Every storm runs out of rain. --Gary Allan

[bipolar II, PTSD with complex features, possible pure-O OCD.]

[900 mg lithium. 100 mg trazodone. 300 mg lyrica. 10 mg prozac. 5 mg abilify PRN.]
[Medication Graveyard: Lexapro/Cipralex, Effexor, Clonazepam, Ativan, Seroquel IR, Seroquel XR, Zyprexa, Zoloft, Propranolol]

#14 Malachi

Malachi

• Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 07:45 PM

Abilify gave me terrible akathisia...it was bad enough for my doctor to take me off of it. It didn't make me manic, but I know how the restlessness and feeling "activated" is.

Edited by Malachi, 27 April 2010 - 07:45 PM.

DX: Schizoaffective Disorder (Bipolar Subtype)

RX: 1200mg Lithium, 40mg Zyprexa, 100mg Zoloft, 400mg Tegretol, 4mg Haldol, 40mg Latuda

What didn't work: Prozac, Abilify, Lamictal, Seroquel, Buspar, Klonopin, Celexa, Xanax, Cymbalta, Ativan, Welbutrin

#15 eccentrik_drummer_chik

eccentrik_drummer_chik

Arghh......

• Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 10:16 PM

Thank you all for the further info. I guess akathisia (new word for me) could somewhat describe what I'm feeling, but honestly I wouldn't call what I feel "restless", I don't need to move around. I would call it more like "edgy", ready to explode emotionally, highly reactive. And now tonight, as I've not taken the Abilify for three days, I'm starting to feel depressed and agitated. I was only on 2.5mg, so hopefully it was ok to stop cold turkey. I see my pdoc on Thursday. Tomorrow my 20yr old son gets out of the hospital from his motorcycle accident he was in three weeks ago, I'm the one available to pick him up and stay with him at his house all day until his GF gets home in the evening. I sure hope I can handle tomorrow, I'm the one who's supposed to be holding it together.....

Bipolar & Anxiety

#16 gizmo

gizmo

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it.

• Pip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 10:27 PM

Abilify gave me horrid akathisia, which made me feel like I was about ready to jump out of my skin, couldn't sit down (or sit still) for more than five minutes at a time, couldn't sleep, tripled the speed of my normally racing thoughts, and I couldn't concentrate worth two shits.

If this sounds like you, you should call the ol' pdoc. You can take a drug such as cogentin that can make akathisia go away. Or you may have to stop the abilify.
Diagnosis: BP I with Psychotic Features, GAD, ADHD, Chronic Migraines, various physical stuff.
Meds Currently On: Depakote 2000 mg, Risperdal 8 mg, Latuda 80 mg, Prozac 60 mg, Vyvanse 70 mg, Propranolol 40 mg BID, Klonopin 2 mg BID PRN
Meds Sort-Of Mental Related: Lipitor 40 mg, Zofran 4 mg PRN, Fioricet PRN, Stadol PRN, Botox received on 8/16/13

I post on an iPhone, so please forgive grammatical errors or strange word inclusions. It's the auto correct!

#17 Guest_Nikki_*

Guest_Nikki_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2010 - 10:24 PM

#18 Guest_walter_*

Guest_walter_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2011 - 04:44 PM

#19 Guest_walter_*

Guest_walter_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2011 - 04:52 PM

I did a trial with the pdoc. I loved the stuff. It was literally "rocket fuel" for me. It sent me to the moon and kept me their. It was great. Non-stop mania and all the great feelings that come with it day after day. Unfortunately, it was also non-stop sleep. I was awake round the clock day after day as well. With very mixed emotions, I finally had to relent and tell the pdoc. I just didn't sleep after I started taking it and just couldn't go on like that. He said that was the first time anyone had ever described a reaction like that to him. So it made me feel better when I found out it sent others into mania also. It proved I wasn't crazy about it after all!!!

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.