xanax shelf life

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bluesme

bluesme

• Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 06:14 AM

I had a bottle of xanax 1 mg. that expired in 4/2007. This did NOT help me sleep like the "fresh" pills do (just made me "chill" a bit). Does anyone know the shelf life of xanax. I'm guess I learned the hard way they should have been thrown out LONG time ago. I'm tossing them as we speak. Has to take a .5 of the "fresh" pills to get to sleep and feel like I've been drinking all night -go figure.

Thanks guys

#2 wondernut

wondernut

disconcerted citizen

• Pip
  • 971 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 07:10 AM

most drugs if stored correctly are ok up to 1 year after they expire ...but they decline in strenght ..there are a few drugs (not benzos) that can go toxic

that being said it may vary so ask your pharmacist they are pretty likely to tell you "while you should toss them after the expiration date ..such and such is known to be ok for ....time"
wellbutrin, vit D, coffee, ibuprofen
xanax lick as needed

#3 Cetkat

Cetkat

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe..

• Pip
  • 3078 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 10:45 AM

To my knowledge, there is only one med, an antibiotic, that goes toxic after it expires. Everything else is perfectly fine. There was actually a study done for the armed forces (USA) because they were throwing out such a significant amount of drugs after they expired - costing them ALOT of money. The study found that, worst case scenario, the drug becomes ineffective after a few years. Because of this, they now give out expired meds.

(This comes directly from a nurse in the Army)

It's perfectly fine to keep taking the Xanax. It'll just become less effective over time.. as you have already noticed.

_ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _

Dx: Major Depression w/ Dysthymia and Panic Disorder, ADHD, Fibromyalgia
Pdoc's Theory Dx: Bipolar NOS (recently re-theorized by current pdoc)
Rx : Strattera 80mg, Armour Thyroid 60mg (1 gr), Nadolol prn, Xanax prn, Methocarbamol 750mg prn
EXRx : Zoloft, Seroquel, Wellbutrin, Prozac, Lithium, Lamictal, Remeron, Lexapro, Abilify, Zyprexa, Geodon, Cymbalta, Paxil, Sonata, Lunesta, Effexor, Metadate, Risperdal, BuSpar, Ambien, Invega, Tegretol, Nortriptyline, Desipramine, Deplin, Neurontin, Concerta, Trazodone, Mirapex, Amitriptyline, Saphris, Prestiq

I do whatever my rice krispies tell me to.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"OK so cheese is trapped, so you can't have cheese." - MDK
_ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _. _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _

#4 bluesme

bluesme

• Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:11 PM

Hmm and now that I think about it, if the expiration date was 2007, that means the med is older than that. I think I'll just dump it anyway.

I didn't figure that taking the "fresh" xanax for just a couple weeks I wouldn't have become tolerant already as I've never had a problem in the past when I've taken "fresh" xanax for a few weeks for insomnia. And these bouts when I take xanax for insomnia are months to years apart.

That's why I just figured it had something to do with the older xanax having just become a bit less effective - and not a tolerance issue.

I hope that all makes sense.

#5 Cetkat

Cetkat

• Pip
  • 3078 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:28 PM

That's why I just figured it had something to do with the older xanax having just become a bit less effective - and not a tolerance issue.

I agree that it's not a tolerance. Throwing it away is up to you, however you could also take more pills to reach the effectiveness you need. But then, of course, Xanax is rather cheap, so a new rx would be easier.

_ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _

Rx : Strattera 80mg, Armour Thyroid 60mg (1 gr), Nadolol prn, Xanax prn, Methocarbamol 750mg prn
EXRx : Zoloft, Seroquel, Wellbutrin, Prozac, Lithium, Lamictal, Remeron, Lexapro, Abilify, Zyprexa, Geodon, Cymbalta, Paxil, Sonata, Lunesta, Effexor, Metadate, Risperdal, BuSpar, Ambien, Invega, Tegretol, Nortriptyline, Desipramine, Deplin, Neurontin, Concerta, Trazodone, Mirapex, Amitriptyline, Saphris, Prestiq

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
_ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _. _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _

#6 bluesme

bluesme

• Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:30 PM

Thanks for the suggestion - ;) but like you said, alprazolam is cheap so a new script is just as good if not better.

Edited by bluesme, 05 May 2010 - 12:32 PM.

#7 Cetkat

Cetkat

• Pip
  • 3078 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:32 PM

You're welcome. ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.