Photo
- - - - -

How many prescription psych meds do you take each day?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

Poll: Pill Counter (126 member(s) have cast votes)

How many different psych meds do you take each day?

1. Voted 0-3 (66 votes [52.38%])

Percentage of vote: 52.38%

2. 4-6 (49 votes [38.89%])

Percentage of vote: 38.89%

3. 7-9 (9 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

4. 10 and over (2 votes [1.59%])

Percentage of vote: 1.59%

How do you feel about your current med cocktail? (Even if you're only on 1 med)

1. Frustrated (31 votes [20.67%])

Percentage of vote: 20.67%

2. Content/Happy (62 votes [41.33%])

Percentage of vote: 41.33%

3. Voted Indifferent (34 votes [22.67%])

Percentage of vote: 22.67%

4. Worried (18 votes [12.00%])

Percentage of vote: 12.00%

5. Other (please explain) (5 votes [3.33%])

Percentage of vote: 3.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 notfred

notfred

• Pip
  • 2426 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:59 AM

I did not answer the 2nd question, how do I feel about it. I enjoy long periods of remission over 2 decades so I think I take enough meds, no more no less.

nf

#22 klingon001

klingon001

• Pip
  • 889 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:27 AM

Edited by klingon001, 02 April 2014 - 01:41 PM.

#23 rowan77

rowan77

• Pip
  • 1915 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:30 PM

I take 5 psych meds and that will hopefully be going down to 4 in the near future!!!!

Seroquel has caused me to gain a phenomenol amount of weight and my psychiatrist is concerned about my physical health, I now have very high cholestrol and am only 32 years old. So we have agreed I will slowly come off it and see how things go. It has worked incredibly well for me, but I have to look after my physical health too. Also I look like a big blob!!

I'm glad I feel well but this weight gain is dragging me down.

DX: Bipolar Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder

Current RX: Lithium Carbonate 800mg, Seroquel XR 800mg, Lamictal 100mg x2 daily, Procyclidine 5mg, prozac 40mg 

Also Yasmin 0.3/3mg for PCOS and Losec 20mg for Hiatus Hernia

Previous RX:
Anti-depressants: dothiepin, clomipramine, paroxetine, mirtazepine, lofepramine, venlafaxine, escitalopram, agomelatine
Anti-psychotics: thoridazine, risperidone, olanzapine, haloperidol, aripiprazole, chlorpromazine
Mood Stabilisers: carbamazepine, sodium valproate,
Anxiolytics: alprazolam, diazepam, lorazepam, clonazepam
Hypnotics: lormetazepam, temazepam, zopiclone, zolpidem, flurazepam

ECT: 6 Treatments in 2003; 11 Treatments in 2005

"Be yourself - everybody else is taken." Oscar Wilde

#24 LunaRufina

LunaRufina

<3 Cacia.

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 4204 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:21 PM

Right now, I'm on topamax, wellbutrin, lamictal, concerta, ritalin [prn], abilify and omega 3s. But I mean, technically, I have ativan prn as well, but I very rarely take that. So I guess that's seven. <count> seven! seven psych meds! ah ah ah! </count>

wait. Eight.
I are smart.

I guess I feel okish about it. But I never really thought about it.
I guess it seems like a fucking lot now.

But, to be honest, in the past I was on more.

It doesn't seem like a lot because they all seem kinda necessary.
I mean, I'm a little nuts right now, but I look at how totally fucked up I used to be, and realize I'm much better off.

I'm still not great though.
Not really.

I'm fuckin with lamictal currently.
Which is always a blast.
Woowoo.

"...what you spend years building may be destroyed overnight.
Build anyway.

People really need help but may attack you if you do help them.
Help people anyway.

Give the world the best you have and you'll get kicked in the teeth.
Give the world the best you have anyway.”

― Kent M. Keith, The Silent Revolution: Dynamic Leadership in the Student Council"

#25 bpladybug

bpladybug

Your friendly bipolar Aunt

• Pip
  • 4385 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 12:43 AM

I'm on six prescription psych meds right now - they're all listed in my signature. I know that there are some on CrazyBoards who take a lot more than me, but I still feel like six is a big number. I went from having no prescription meds only a year ago (psych-related or otherwise) to having 2 at once, and then as the psychosis emerged it went up to six. I guess I am looking for an average - especially from people with psychosis, but I'm also interested in reading anyone's number, whether they are psychotic or not.

I am both happy and worried about my med cocktail. It is controlling symptoms very well, and I'm not even an eighth of a wreck I was last summer when I was first put on 2 meds. However, I do worry about my liver processing all of these medications, especially since I'll probably have to take the same or similar meds for the rest of my life. The side effects are tolerable, however.

All in all, I like my current cocktail and I appreciate how it is helping me.

How many meds do you take, and how do you feel about it?

Three meds, plus another two PRN. So that would be five. Seems like enough. I function well, and am mostly stable.

ladybuglove.jpg

'Mania is a dangerous Mistress.' BPLadybug

Bipolar 1
Treatment: 900 mgs Lithium, 900 mgs Neurontin, 400 mgs Seroquel, Xanax prn, Temazepam, fish oil, vitamins, Vit. D 5, 000 IU, exercize, some talk therapy and CBT Therapy. Exercize helps as does the Light Box; 30 mins every morning. I also have physical health challenges.

#26 lunaceleste

lunaceleste

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:28 PM

currentely taking 25 mg Zoloft,ABilify 2.5 mg anf Klonopin 1mg at night
is working fine i am just frustated cause the abilify made me gain 20 pounds sucks big time,how is that for depressing right?
the zoloft i dont think is doing anything,the klonopin is the only one that i ''feel'' makes a difference
i hope i dont have to add anything soon,i may have to cause i have really bad migraines but iam trying to deal with them
without the migraine meds
what i have: bipolar,anger issues,imsomnia,mayor anxiety
what i take these days: Seroquel,Cymbalta,Lorazepam
what i took before:lithium,wellbutrin,cymbalta,lexapro,lamictal,neurontin,valium,xanax,ativa,ambien,lunesta,depakote.

#27 saveyoursanity

saveyoursanity

Sister Hand Grenade of Enlightened Compassion

• Inmate
  • 1960 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:17 PM

Currently taking what's in my signature.

I answered frustrated because I'm still fucking suicidal.

CAPS LOCK IS HOW I FEEL INSIDE ALL THE TIME.

"There will be coffee and cookies in the Gandhi Room after the revolution."

Dx and Psych Rx in profile.

I am NOT a medical professional, merely experienced from a consumer perspective.
I strongly urge fact checking with your own research and consulting an actual medical professional.

#28 Alpam

Alpam

• Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 07:53 PM

6 daily meds: Dexamphetamine, Sodium Valproate, Propranolol, Nortriptyline, Seroquel & Solian. Plus some PRN: Codeine, Zantac, Modafinil, Maxolon

Looking to drop the Sodium Valproate and the Seroquel and changing the Nortriptyline to another TCA.

Best combo I have had so far, but I pretty much have to take a backpack to the pharmacy.
dx: Major depression, panic disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder and Adult ADD.
Current meds: Parnate 60mg
, Abilify 10mg, Propranolol 120mg, Circadin 2mg, Topamax 100mg
Previous meds: Zoloft, Mirtazapine(shudder), Cymbalta, Dothiepin, Reboxetine, Citalopram, Nortriptyline, Pristiq, Zyprexa, Temazepam, Diazepam, Xanax, Clonazepam, Clorpromazine, Sodium Valproate, Amisulpride, Seroquel .

#29 nonsum

nonsum

mad, bad and dangerous to know

• Pip
  • 139 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 06:12 PM

i take 5. they're in my sig. and im doing well on them currently. i worry about my hormones and my liver but i need my medication to stay ok.
Dx: Bipolar I, Panic Disorder, ADD, Borderline Personality Disorder, Bulimia
Rx: Gabapentin 1200 mg, Topamax 300 mg, Clonazepam 1-3 mg
Past Rx: Abilify, Adderall, Ambien, Atavan, Concerta, Klonipin, Lamictal, Lexipro, Lithium, Restoril, Risperdal, Ritalin, Seroquel, Topamax, Trazodone, Wellbutrin, Xanax

#30 Zimmie

Zimmie

so pretty in my uniform of anti-lookalike

• Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 01:25 AM

4, possibly going up soon.

But how do I feel about it? Oh man, I clicked three of the boxes! I feel guilty for being on so much stuff, paranoid that it will have adverse effects (O NOES WELLBUTRIN WILL GIVE ME A SEIZURE!), and especially... stigmatized for being on an antipsychotic. At the same time, they've given me a balance of normal for the first time in a year, and if I do start taking something else, it will be at my own suggestion. Then again, I may need another antidepressant... Why wasn't there a "conflicted" option? ;)

dx: Asperger's, bipolar II, depersonalization disorder, ADHD, anxiety, self-injury.
former dx: PDD-NOS, NVLD, BPD, depression.
rx: Wellbutrin 400mg, Lamictal 150mg, Ativan .5mg, Abilify 30mg, Adderall 20mg, Ativan 1/2mg PRN.
former rx: Celexa, Zoloft, Prozac, Seroquel, trazodone, Risperdal.

"What I do got is a GED and a give 'em hell attitude, and I'll figure something out."

#31 withdelight

withdelight

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 04:39 PM

4 psych meds (2 in the morning, 2 at night) plus 1 prn
2 early in the morning for thyroid
1 prn for asthma
and birth control

i kind of hate having to choke back so many pills every day - but i still voted content/happy because i haven't felt this stable in a long, long time.
dx: bipolar II, seasonal affective disorder, hashimoto's disease
rx: lamictal 300mg, cymbalta 60mg, wellbutrin XL 300mg, geodon 40mg, klonopin 0.5mg PRN, levoxyl 88mcg, cytomel 5mcg, fish oil 5000mg

past dx: MDD, GAD, social anxiety disorder, dysthymia, mood disorder NOS, bipolar NOS, ADD
past rx: effexor, lexapro, remeron, ativan, ritalin, buspar, lithium, trazodone, seroquel, latuda, zoloft

#32 salaatti

salaatti

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 01:00 AM

3 psych meds daily (for psychosis + depression), plus 3 as needed (for anxiety + sleep). I don't really know how I feel about it, I am more stable than before the Abilify was added, but I still feel there is room for improvement. I can't figure out why I'm getting new symptoms despite taking my meds as instructed.

#33 Catnapper

Catnapper

Living in the South under Baptist Sharia law.

• Pip
  • 1714 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 10:50 AM

3 crazy meds, 1 for hot flashes, and 2 for hypertension.

Not to mention vitamins and fish oil, and usually tylenol and advil every day for arthritis. All I know is I take a lot of pills every day!

But I don't mind, they keep me well. The thing I dislike most is the hassle involved in getting them, I live in a rural area so the nearest drugstore is over twenty miles away. Plus, since one of the drugs is Ambien, I resent being made to feel like I'm some sort of drug addict. The state where I lives monitors closely every controlled substance prescription so the end result is the pharmacy won't refill even a day early, which can be a pain because I sometimes have to make a special trip to get it. The whole idea of controlled substance laws pisses me off, anyways, so I'll shut up now.
New Improved Diagnosis: Probably BP II (instead of MDD recurrent), or as the pdoc said, "There's clearly some sort of cycle going on." The more I think about it, the more I think he's right. I've started a mood stabilizer and feel better, so I have my fingers crossed I'll stay far away from the abyss.

RX: Generic versions of Lamictal 200 mg, Wellbutrin SR 300 mg, Ambien 10 mg, Gabapentin 900 mg (for hot flashes), lots of vitamins and fish oil tablets.
RX Graveyard: Prozac, Topomax, Zoloft, Vivactil, Adderall, Provigil
DX: Previously DXed with Major Depressive Disorder, Recurrent, Without Psychotic Symptoms; still enjoying Dysthymia and Binge Eating Disorder

"All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental." Kurt Vonnegut, Timequake

#34 Shortstuff

Shortstuff

• Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 01:39 PM

I put worried.

I'm on ritalin, celexa, tegretol and thorazine.
-Celexa is helping my depression but not so much my social anxiety disorder.
-Ritalin helps my motivation and a little bit of paying attention but has a long way to go...still fuzzy headed and can't concentrate, my brain keeps going and going non stop, so does my talking sometimes and my short term and long term memory sucks.
-Tegretol actually does help the moods...unless I get negative feedback, then I plummet to fast depression and hating myself.
-Thorazine helps me sleep because it knocks me out, but doesn't help the stuff from stopping in my head when I want to sleep. It also does not help paranoia one friggin bit. If someone in the room is talking to another I think it's about me, and again my mood goes down, etc.

So, I'm worried, I want it to stop, but can I get this stuff under control?

Edited by Shortstuff, 03 July 2010 - 01:41 PM.

~DX: Bipolar l, OCD, BPD, ADHD, Social Phobia and PTSD
Issues with self harm, agoraphobia, racing thoughts, paranoia, self-esteem, and self image and a bunch of other stuff.
~Rx: Lithium, Lamictal and Gabapentin

Joke from my Psychologist:
Why can't a paranoid person go to a football game?
Because he thinks they are talking about him in the huddle.....

#35 netsavy006

netsavy006

I'm Andy

• Pip
  • 2147 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 04:29 PM

So, I'm worried, I want it to stop, but can I get this stuff under control?

The famous question I get asked, Are you in therapy?

- Andy -
Dx: Asperger's + Schizoaffective Disorder - Bipolar Type + Panic Disorder w/o Agoraphobia
Rx: Lithium 900mg + Xanax 0.5mg QID + Celexa 10mg + Clozaril 325mg + Propranolol 10mg BID + Centrum + Fish Oil

#36 Shortstuff

Shortstuff

• Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 07:11 PM

Yep in therapy, but just started. Had my first tdoc visit on Tuesday. I had so much to say and was so not wanting to even go, that I went in there, barely talked and when I did, cried. It was a bit of a mess.

Luckily, I knew this would happen, it always happens, it's why I don't go to tdocs often or stop after a visit or two. This time, I typed out all the questions I had and all my symptoms and some stories from when I was younger, etc. The tdoc was like...can I keep this?? Please? I hope the next one goes better...
~DX: Bipolar l, OCD, BPD, ADHD, Social Phobia and PTSD
Issues with self harm, agoraphobia, racing thoughts, paranoia, self-esteem, and self image and a bunch of other stuff.
~Rx: Lithium, Lamictal and Gabapentin

Joke from my Psychologist:
Why can't a paranoid person go to a football game?
Because he thinks they are talking about him in the huddle.....

#37 Quack

Quack

Stuck.

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 06:34 AM

I take 3. I'm fine about taking medication but I'm frustrated because things aren't 'good'. Hell, it's hardly OK. It's better than before the meds but not really good enough to be satisfied with the result. Soo blah, lol.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dx: MDD (Major Depression), with some combined general anxiety. BPD, not sure about that though.
EDNOS/BN (Eating Disorder Not Otherwise Specified/Bulimia).. borderline between those two atm.
Meds: Lexapro - 40mg, Seroquel - 200mg.

#38 Malice

Malice

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:21 AM

Fortunatley, I'm down to 5mg of diazepam daily. Im in the home stretch of a long benzo withdrawal, orginally being on 5-10mg of alprazolam and Clonazepam, (prescribed but tripling up on doses.) I was prescribed Zoloft, Wellbutrin, Paxil, Lexapro, Seraquel, Trazodone, Restoril, Buspar, Adderall, Ritalin to name a few brands in the past 2 years. Now, since i've quit all the meds, I feel WAY more stable than ever before on any meds. My depression has naturally subsided, my OCD is nearly non-existant, my motivation is better (not great, but good) and my social anxieties are slowly dissapating. It's hard to explain how this all happened, for at the moment I really don't have a clear simple answer, but I am VERY VERY happy with my improved mental status for it has been going strong for over a year now.

My only issue is I really am convinced I have damaged my brain due to the long term benzo use and abuse (mixed with alcohol countless times) My memory is shotty at best and my mind is a gaping void once filled with humor and interesting ideas. I hope so very much that my original personality, sans the mental illnesses, will return to me.

Best of luck to you all! Much love!

Edited by Malice, 11 February 2012 - 07:22 AM.

We sense... something... something ancient... a sickly smell... a chilling wind.
My ancestors scream from within their chambers in my mind
but I cannot understand their words.
This feeling... a memory? It sickens us, and for the first time in our lives
for the first time in generations
We fear.

#39 Guest_Vapourware_*

Guest_Vapourware_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:01 AM

An update to my original response - I'm currently on two meds.

I've been fortunate in that the most meds I have ever had to take at any one time was three. One time, I was taking sodium valproate, Abilify and Pristiq together. Another time [more recently], I was taking clozapine, lamictal and zoloft together. The clozapine was causing my neutrophils to fluctuate constantly, so I've stopped and now I'm looking for antipsychotic no.7.

#40 hallowedink

hallowedink

Reality is cheap; as soon as you stop believing in it, it goes away.

• Pip
  • 1769 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:34 AM

Six including PRNs (which I take very frequently).

I answered frustrated because they aren't working at all.

My Brain Salad: BPD, MDD, Insomnia, Anorexia Nervosa, "very likely" C-PTSD, Migraines
What they give me for it: Seroquel 300mg, Wellbutrin 300mg, Lofepramine 140mg, Pizotifen 3mg, Naproxen PRN, Zopiclone PRN, Valium PRN`

Have also dealt with: Panic Disorder (now in remission), Self-harm (stopped ~4 months, but still relapsing occasionally)

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.