- - - - -

klonopin

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_sarah G_*

Guest_sarah G_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:53 AM

even though i have a rx from my doctor for 1mg klonopin to take 3 times a day i have told him that in certain circumstances i have taken more than 1 at a time. he seems to understand since im under alot of stress right now because im moving out of the country in less than1 week but i have a drug test today. im worried that the amounts (although they should be almost spot on) will definately show up and cause me serious problems. is there anything i can do to prevent this

#2 gizmo

gizmo

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it.

• Pip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:30 AM

In general, employers test for 5-8 drugs on a drug screen, and benzos aren't one of the drugs. They are looking for drugs such as THC, cocaine, meth, heroine, alcohol, and I'm fuzzy right now, so I can't remember the other ones. But they are heavy hitters. I think Ecstasy and/or LSD may be on there.

In general, they no longer test for anything you could possibly get a prescription for. And the things they do test for, they have a limit to them, so for instance, you could smoke "so much pot in so many days before the test" and pass. What that level is varies depending on the employer and lab.
Diagnosis: BP I with Psychotic Features, GAD, ADHD, Chronic Migraines, various physical stuff.
Meds Currently On: Depakote 2000 mg, Risperdal 8 mg, Latuda 80 mg, Prozac 60 mg, Vyvanse 70 mg, Propranolol 40 mg BID, Klonopin 2 mg BID PRN
Meds Sort-Of Mental Related: Lipitor 40 mg, Zofran 4 mg PRN, Fioricet PRN, Stadol PRN, Botox received on 8/16/13

I post on an iPhone, so please forgive grammatical errors or strange word inclusions. It's the auto correct!

#3 lavender

lavender

• Pip
  • 272 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:45 PM

Just had a pre-employment rapid-drug screen 2 days ago, took 1mg Ativan 2 days prior. My test came back "non-negative" as they put it, and now has been sent to a lab for further testing. Only reason would be the Ativan, and although it has a very short half-life, its metabolites (which are what they test for) aren't excreted through kidneys/urine for 3-7 days. Not all employers test for benzos but some do, particularly in the health care field. All this will *eventually* get cleared up and my Rx will probably have to be verified, but meanwhile my "start date" must be delayed for 2 weeks and I'm kicking myself in the butt... was Memorial Day, 5:30 am, tried several times to sleep that night, finally took the Ativan, not thinking about the upcoming drug test in 2 days. Duh!!! I don't even take it regularly, so am very pissed at myself. This is the mini-crisis I mentioned in my status update last evening, wanted to talk about it, but was gonna wait until the f***ing ordeal was overwith. Then I saw this post and decided to get it off my chest. And though the words "tested positive" haven't been used, I'm viewed with suspicion now- the remainder of my physical and orientation have been postponed until I'm cleared by the Medical Review Officer. I know why this happened, but THEY don't and I must say it really sucks- haven't told anyone. Will tell bf when he gets here tomorrow, as I won't be starting work on Monday as planned. The situation sucks for both me and the employer, they had scheduled an awesome, very detailed 7 week orientation and work schedule for me. At least I didn't report my new job to the unemployment office yet... Anyway, unless you take benzos all the time and just can't go cold turkey, I'd highly recommend not taking any for a good solid week before a drug test. Another thing that's good to know is that the folks who administer the test do just that-conduct the test. They don't get involved with your med list or reading your prescription... that's handled after the fact by the medical review officer and it can turn into a rather lengthy process. Guess I'm glad to get this off my chest, it's been eating away at me for nearly 3 days. -Lav
Dx: Bipolar Disorder, rapid cycling
Meds: Remeron, Ranitidine, Simvastatin, Prempro, Ativan as needed

Past Rx: Lamictal, Zoloft, Prozac, Paxil, Effexor, Wellbutrin, Buspar, Celexa, Zyprexa, Seroquel, Risperidol, Xanax, Klonopin, Trazodone, Serzone, Lithium, Triavil, Tofranil, Haldol, Cogentin, Sinequan, Elavil, Valium, Desiprimine, Depakote, Neurontin, Thorazine, Tranxene, Ambien, Restoril, Fukitol, etc, etc, etc...

#4 lavender

lavender

• Pip
  • 272 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:08 PM

re: my above reply, the "confirmatory testing" is now complete, the results finally reported as "negative" and now I may proceed with the remainder of the hiring process. The delay has caused a good deal of inconvenience for both me and the employer regarding schedule, however the waiting and wondering is over and the "suspicion" has been lifted. Not the end of the world, but an example of what can happen... better to skip your benzo ahead of time whenever possible. -Lav
Dx: Bipolar Disorder, rapid cycling
Meds: Remeron, Ranitidine, Simvastatin, Prempro, Ativan as needed

Past Rx: Lamictal, Zoloft, Prozac, Paxil, Effexor, Wellbutrin, Buspar, Celexa, Zyprexa, Seroquel, Risperidol, Xanax, Klonopin, Trazodone, Serzone, Lithium, Triavil, Tofranil, Haldol, Cogentin, Sinequan, Elavil, Valium, Desiprimine, Depakote, Neurontin, Thorazine, Tranxene, Ambien, Restoril, Fukitol, etc, etc, etc...

#5 I Am Bien

I Am Bien

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 12:03 AM

As somebody who worked as a commercial driver: they most certainly test for benzos! you better believe it! it is all or nothing!
were i to work i would be OFF my klonopin completely.

i never drive while on any benzo, period. god forbid anything happens, they WILL "blame the benzo"...automatically.

take it from somebody who worked as a commercial driver .i still have my license.

Dx: Bipolar Disorder, Personality Disorder, GAD

Current Treatment: Wellbutrin, Risperdal, Vistaril, Ambien CR

Past Treatment: I have been on so many different medications that I cannot remember them all.

#6 Aurochs

Aurochs

I've got a lot on my mind and a lot of gun in my hand.

• Inmate
  • 801 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 12:42 AM

Drivers get stricter blood tests than other professions because of the nature of their work. If the medication was prescribed, there isn't an issue regardless of the test results. It is illegal for an employer to fire you for testing positive for a drug you were prescribed. They also cannot fire you on the basis of a single test - a retest is required to control for false positives. Finally, employers can only be told whether the test passed or failed, not what drug was detected or whether or not you were prescribed anything - ie, if they detect benzos, but you have a prescription for them, your employer is told that you passed.

Most employers use a 5 panel test. This includes THC, amphetamines, cocaine, PCP, and opiates. They may add other tests at their option, but they have to pay for them. There is no reliable test for LSD except a blood test from a person who was high at the time of the draw.
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." --Carl Sagan

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.