What drug reduces cravings for weed?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Bueler

Bueler

• Pip
  • 695 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:14 PM

I used to be terribly dependent on smoking pot every day, wake and bake, during the day, after work, before sleep, sometimes even in the middle of the night if I woke up.

It was my mood stabilizer, anti-anxiety, depression medicine.

When I added Lithium, I was able to go off pot and have been off for almost a year. Now due to so many temptations, I've been smoking almost daily, and when I don't smoke I get intense cravings.

Is there some sort of drug that reduces these cravings? Klonopin? Lithium? Wellbutrin? I mean, obviously I'm already on these, but I just don't know if there's a good chemical way to help me along.

Then there's a part of me that says, why not stay dependent on a substance? I'm already dependent on my psych meds, what's one more?

DX: Depressive Disorder NOS, Social Anxiety Disorder, Grand-Mal Seizures]
RX:
Wellbutrin 300mg, Lamictal 200mg, Keppra 1,000mg
PRN: Xanax 1.0mg, Ambien 10mg

#2 Inspired_Neurosis

Inspired_Neurosis

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 603 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:19 PM

Well, marijuana isn't clinically addictive, so if you feel dependant upon it there are other problems at work and your cravings are a side effect. You probably need to manage your depression and/or anxiety issues more effectively so that you wouldn't feel the need for marijuana. There is no direct "cure" for weed cravings. No easy answer here.

Edited by Inspired_Neurosis, 05 July 2010 - 01:23 PM.

#3 Guest_bueler_*

Guest_bueler_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:29 PM

I would disagree that its not addictive. Bit has physical withdraw ie difficulty sleeping, rage, even headaches.

#4 Inspired_Neurosis

Inspired_Neurosis

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 603 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:41 PM

Marijuana is only addictive in extreme cases of heavy, prolonged use. And even in those cases, withdrawal symptoms are probably caused mostly due to psychological factors. Animals will not self-administer THC in controlled studies. Unlike other drugs of abuse, marijuana does not produce reinforcing effects. (According to research by the Office of Technology Assessment)

Still probably not a good idea to smoke it, and you probably need better meds. Just understand where these cravings are coming from.

Edited by Inspired_Neurosis, 05 July 2010 - 01:46 PM.

#5 Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis

The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering.

• Admin
  • 13114 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 05:45 PM

It's not physically addictive. I know what physical addiction is and weed is not.

If you're using it for self medication, the best way to quit being dependent on it would be to get the symptoms you're using it treat properly medicated with something else. If you can stand it, consider rehab.

De-gnosis: ADD, recurrent depression (or maybe bpII in the guise of such), Asperger's, OCD, social anxiety
Today's Pill Menu: Dexedrine, Wellbutrin (Budeprion), Strattera, Celexa, Risperdal, and clonazepam

Like other moderators and staff of crazyboards.org, I am not a health care professional. You have no way of knowing that I am not talking out my ass. Please do your own homework before making any health related decisions.

Buy me Stuff: Amazon Wishlist

#6 rowen

rowen

Bringin' Sexy Back

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 1932 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 07:34 PM

There isn't anything indicated for getting through the weed ordeal (So sayeth my Evidenced-Based Treatment of Alcohol and Drug Abuse book. Cool stuff. Go through the Crazystore if you're interested in a copy).

Why do you smoke weed? What does your therapist say? What do you think would help you stop smoking?
I have been every flavor of Bipolar, and have now come back to Mood Disorder NOS. Heh. Also, OCD and working on AvPD
Old issues: ED NOS
Meds - Lamictal 200mg, Effexor XR 150mg, lithium 900 mg, trazodone PRN, Ativan PRN
Old meds - Lexapro, Remeron, Wellbutrin, Cymbalta/Seroquel, Abilify, Geodon/Ambien, Lunesta, Sonata/Klonopin

May all beings be free from all pain and suffering.

I am not a doctor. Keep that in mind.

#7 Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis

The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering.

• Admin
  • 13114 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:06 PM

Actually, that's not in the crazystore I don't think. Which one do you mean and I'll add it:

http://www.amazon.co...l abuse&x=0&y=0

De-gnosis: ADD, recurrent depression (or maybe bpII in the guise of such), Asperger's, OCD, social anxiety
Today's Pill Menu: Dexedrine, Wellbutrin (Budeprion), Strattera, Celexa, Risperdal, and clonazepam

Like other moderators and staff of crazyboards.org, I am not a health care professional. You have no way of knowing that I am not talking out my ass. Please do your own homework before making any health related decisions.

#8 rowen

rowen

Bringin' Sexy Back

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 1932 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:17 PM

Actually, that's not in the crazystore I don't think. Which one do you mean and I'll add it:

http://www.amazon.co...l abuse&x=0&y=0

I meant go through the Crazystore to get to Amazon. But if you want to add it, I think it'd be worth it. It's pretty easy to follow, and it's very informative.

http://www.amazon.co...tmm_pap_title_0
I have been every flavor of Bipolar, and have now come back to Mood Disorder NOS. Heh. Also, OCD and working on AvPD
Old issues: ED NOS
Meds - Lamictal 200mg, Effexor XR 150mg, lithium 900 mg, trazodone PRN, Ativan PRN
Old meds - Lexapro, Remeron, Wellbutrin, Cymbalta/Seroquel, Abilify, Geodon/Ambien, Lunesta, Sonata/Klonopin

May all beings be free from all pain and suffering.

I am not a doctor. Keep that in mind.

#9 Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis

• Admin
  • 13114 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:25 PM

Done. I'm presently working on removing old titles that are no longer listed w/ Amazon and adding new stuff so good timing.

It's harder to get to Amazon proper through the crazystore than it is by going through one of the freestanding links btw. Go through the deals link in the sidebar or one of my spam posts in the Amazon thread.

#10 null0trooper

null0trooper

• Pip
  • 3928 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 12:26 AM

When I added Lithium, I was able to go off pot and have been off for almost a year. Now due to so many temptations, I've been smoking almost daily, and when I don't smoke I get intense cravings.

If you've been off for almost a year, I'd wonder if it's temptation driving the problem or something else, like added stressors, or a change in mood cycling. Either one could require addressing the underlying problem (therapy for coping with added SSDD, or a med adjustment of some sort) if you want any a good shot at kicking the weed.

Proof once again that we are the only adventurers for whom the letters "AD&D" stand for "Attention Deficit Disorder" - Roy Greenhilt, Order of the Stick

Rule your own nation at Cyber Nations, A nation simulation game! Yes, I do waste spend a lot of time on it, especially the Viridian Entente's alliance boards.

#11 scatty

scatty

The only way out is through.

• Pip
  • 3955 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 10:32 AM

I quit smoking weed for the most part when I started klonopin. Calms me down enough to not need mj anymore. Something you may want to talk to your pdoc about, in addition to ADs.

Dx:
Bipolar I & Anxiety.  Self diagnosed cunt.

My New (old) Meds: (previously these kept me the most stable)
Lithium ER 1350 mgs.
Lamictal 200 mgs.

Klonopin 2 mgs.

Practicing CBT, DBT, and ACT self-help therapy.

Crazy since the 80's!

#12 Bueler

Bueler

• Pip
  • 695 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 06:39 PM

Yeah, I already take Klonopin. The only reason I started up pot again is temptation. I'm now in the city and around people who smoke CONSTANTLY. And, I just can't avoid the temptation. Although I've gone 3 days (Weekend) without smoking, so I'm not a hopeless case, of course.

RX:

#13 Halluci_Nationwide

Halluci_Nationwide

Dead Shape Figure

• Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 01:03 PM

I think its absolute bullshit how some people, are resorting to medical statistics and scientific opinions. weed can be addictive, and it cant be, depends on the type of person you are, life events and surroundings. You just cant say, 'its NOT addictive' because frankly, as i said, thats absolute bullshit
Issues: Was Bi-polar, rediagnosed as 'psychotic depression', Social Phobia, Substance Addiction, Extreme OCD, ETERNAL PARANOIA
RX: Olanzapine (Zyprexa) 100mg, Mirtazapine (Remeron) 90mg, Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, Diazepam (Valium) 5mg
Meds that epicly failed: Quetipine (Seroquel), Fluoxetine (Prozac), Aripiprazole (Abilify)

#14 Moil

Moil

-O--O-

• Pip
  • 212 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 02:54 PM

What I took from this conversation is that weed can most certainly be psychologically addicting, but no one has shown evidence that it is physically addicting.  Both are considered forms of addiction, but they are not the same thing.  Another thing, what is wrong with scientific opinions.  They are by definition evidence based and you can verify their data if you so choose.  Statistics on the other hand can be quite useful but can be easy to slant at times...but again you often can go lookup their methods and data should you be so inclined.

Dx:  Major Depressive Disorder...though I think the lithium may be hiding something other than the fact that it owes me money

Rx-AM:  3 X 20mg fluoxetine; 3 X 300mg Lithium Carbonate; Water

Rx-PM:  3 X 300mg Lithium Carbonate; Water

Tx:  Elevated volume

Meds That Remain Only in Memory:  Citalopram made my toilet and I too familiar;  Sertraline is what they gave me in school > 10 years ago 

#15 Halluci_Nationwide

Halluci_Nationwide

Dead Shape Figure

• Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 04:09 PM

What I took from this conversation is that weed can most certainly be psychologically addicting, but no one has shown evidence that it is physically addicting. Both are considered forms of addiction, but they are not the same thing. Another thing, what is wrong with scientific opinions. They are by definition evidence based and you can verify their data if you so choose. Statistics on the other hand can be quite useful but can be easy to slant at times...but again you often can go lookup their methods and data should you be so inclined.

I do agree with you, its just my selfish views from personal experiance really
Issues: Was Bi-polar, rediagnosed as 'psychotic depression', Social Phobia, Substance Addiction, Extreme OCD, ETERNAL PARANOIA
RX: Olanzapine (Zyprexa) 100mg, Mirtazapine (Remeron) 90mg, Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, Diazepam (Valium) 5mg
Meds that epicly failed: Quetipine (Seroquel), Fluoxetine (Prozac), Aripiprazole (Abilify)

#16 Bueler

Bueler

• Pip
  • 695 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 08:44 PM

It's physical too, okay?

RX:

#17 Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis

• Admin
  • 13114 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 09:06 PM

It's not physically addictive. You might be using it to self medicate a physical condition, but it's not physically addictive. This is a proven fact.

If you're using it to self-medicate you might even be physically dependent on it, but it's not physically addictive.

Addiction is a syndrome. Here are the symptoms:

• Feeling that you have to use the drug regularly — this can be daily or even several times a day
  • Failing in your attempts to stop using the drug
  • Making certain that you maintain a supply of the drug
  • Spending money on the drug even though you can't afford it
  • Doing things to obtain the drug that you normally wouldn't do, such as stealing
  • Feeling that you need the drug to deal with your problems
  • Driving or doing other risky activities when you're under the influence of the drug
  • Focusing more and more time and energy on getting and using the drug

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/drug-addiction/DS00183/DSECTION=symptoms

That goes for physical and psychological addiction, you've got to have all of those.

You can become dependent on something without having all those symptoms.

It's an incontrovertible fact that weed is not physically addictive. It does not induce a physical addiction reaction in the brain. There is no illness with physical symptoms, etc.

#18 notfred

notfred

• Pip
  • 2426 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 09:41 PM

Anticraving Medications for Relapse Prevention: A Possible New Class of Psychoactive Medications
Charles P. O’Brien, M.D., Ph.D.
Am J Psychiatry 162:1423-1431, August 2005

It does not speak directly about cannabis but it seems the meds that work for craving/relapse work with several illicit drugs.
Naltrexone is probably one of the better known anticraving med.

nf

#19 etkearne

etkearne

• Pip
  • 330 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:11 AM

They are in the process of developing Cannabinoid receptor agonists that could be used for the psychological craving for Cannabis. Unfortunately, none are marketed, except Drobinal (sp?), which is just THC in a pill. Hopefully, someday, all substances will have a safe partner that reduces craving and obsession (and withdrawal with physically addictive drugs) in the way we have Buprenorphine for opioids and nicotine patches for smokers. Best of luck in your recovery.

I would say, for now, to work on psychotherapeutic approaches to ceasing your addiction, as they can be very helpful if taken seriously. Write me if you like. I deal with mild opioid dependence and am not yet on Buprenorphine.
Diagnosis- Bipolar Type I - Rapid Cycling, Narcissistic Personality Disorder, Opioid Dependency (in remission)

Present Medications (in total daily dose)- Lithium Carbonate (600mg), Zyprexa (10mg), Suboxone Film (4mg), Efffexor XR (225mg), Concerta (54mg), Klonopin (1-2mg)

Attempts- Imipramine, Amitryptamine, Lexapro, Paxil, Risperdal, Trileptal, Lamictal, Cymbalta, Abilify, Wellbutrin, Seroquel, Adderall

Psychology- Weekly individual therapy, looking to change to new therapist soon!

I recently updated my "About Me" in my profile. If you want to know more about me, please read it.

#20 nibblerd

nibblerd

devious

• Pip
  • 537 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 03:45 PM

The only times I crave marijuana anymore are when my moods break through the numerous medications I'm on -- and when I do indulge, it's all to clear to me why I don't and cannot smoke on my meds.. It doesn't feel right. Last time that happened was about 3 weeks ago, and now that I'm in a mixed state the urges are coming back. I know not to smoke it because it makes every single one of my meds ineffective, causes uncomfortable panic-like symptoms, and I spend the high waiting for it to end.
Current Dx: Aspergers' (Type S)
Past Dx: Manic-depression, Schizotypal Personality "disorder"
Rx: MMJ

Apparently there was more to it. Signs were there all along!

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.