best anti-dep for sleep?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Flames

Flames

• Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 05:36 AM

i know all tablets effect people differently but i wanted to know if any of you have taken an anti-depressant that has helped with sleep? Im taking setraline/zofolot? At the moment but despite taking my clozapine at night i still find myself awake at 2/3am. I have tried good sleep hygiene but i just cant switch off at night. Ive had small doses of amytriptaline before but wouldnt want to take it as im aware you have to be careful with your diet. So yeah, anyone had any luck?

#2 klingon001

klingon001

• Pip
  • 889 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 07:45 AM

Trazodone is a very sedating antidepressant now usually prescribed for sleep. It is also relatively less addictive than other prescription sleeping pills. I'm on it, and I take one or two 50mg pills every night. It usually helps me sleep the whole night when I take 2 (100mg).

#3 rowen

rowen

Bringin' Sexy Back

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 1932 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 07:50 AM

Remeron could work also. Have you tried Benadryl?

What are the dietary restrictions with Elavil? It's not an MAOI.
I have been every flavor of Bipolar, and have now come back to Mood Disorder NOS. Heh. Also, OCD and working on AvPD
Old issues: ED NOS
Meds - Lamictal 200mg, Effexor XR 150mg, lithium 900 mg, trazodone PRN, Ativan PRN
Old meds - Lexapro, Remeron, Wellbutrin, Cymbalta/Seroquel, Abilify, Geodon/Ambien, Lunesta, Sonata/Klonopin

May all beings be free from all pain and suffering.

I am not a doctor. Keep that in mind.

#4 bluelikejazz

bluelikejazz

• Inmate
  • 2585 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 09:33 AM

Amitryptaline has helped my sleep SO much and there's no dietary restrictions.

PMDD, PTSD and MDD.

rx: Amitryptaline 125mg Seroquel XR 100mg, Lithium 750mg.

I'm not a mental health professional but I am a pretty awesome amateur (talk to an actual pro rather than taking my advice)

#5 notfred

notfred

• Pip
  • 2426 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 09:34 AM

There are no dietary restrictions with amitriptyline..

nf

#6 The Emperor

The Emperor

Is there a hole for me to get sick in?

• Pip
  • 3728 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 12:30 PM

I second the Remeron suggestion. It knocked me out like nothing else ever has.

What the docs wrote down about my Crazy: Bipolar II, Some anxiety issue
The pills they give me to fix this shit: Lamictal 175mg, clonazepam 1mg , Trileptal 600mg
Pills that did NOT fix this shit: Sertraline, Buspirone, Mirtazipine, Paroxetine, Gabapentin, Effexor XR, Lorazepam, Cymbalta(twice), Zolpidem, Bupropion XL, Pristiq, Fluoxetine, Vistaril, Lexapro, Celexa, Trazodone, Geodon

Pills that worked well enough but side effects were total shit so I stopped: Abilify, Lithium, valium

sun moon stars rain

#7 Laume

Laume

medicated non-zombie.

• Pip
  • 384 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 12:42 PM

Trazodone.
My 15mg of zopiclone has stopped working, and as that is max dose and horrible to go cold turkey off, my pdoc added trazodone for sleep and to boost my paxil. Gonna try a slow taper off the zopiclone.
Holy moly but I was out like a light within 15 minutes and slept like the dead which is not a bad thing when you have always had problems sleeping.
Its cheap too!
Remeron - that stuff made me semi-psychotic and really angry and hyper. So, as with all other meds what works for one may not work for another but it may be worth a shot!
Good luck chasing down that wiley sandman

I don't like to consider myself mentally ill, I prefer the term mentally interesting.

Diagnoses: BP I; PTSD; Borderline tendencies (whatever the hell those are)

Current meds:  200 mg co-sertraline, 5 mg Abilify, 3 mg xanax

Med cocktail that worked but I am off for financial reasons BOOHOO: Depakote 1000 mg; Co-Sertraline 200 mg; Welbutrin XL 300 mg; Abilify 5 mg; Xanax 3 mg; Imovaine 7.5 mg; Synthroid 0.01 mg
Extras: B6/12, Vitamin D 4000 iu.

past meds: Citalopram (meh), Effexor (meh), Remeron (made me VERY ANGRY and agitated and want to cut myself), Risperidone (who needs to have clear vision ?), Paxil (goodbye you evil substance) Lithium 900 mg (levels dropped, couldn't up dose without side-effects so it is goodbye old helpful friend and thanks for the crazy elevated Thyroid hormones as your parting gift), restoril - did nothing, Trazodone (something had to go to try Welburtin, so its bye bye for now zombie med)

#8 Guest_Guest_001_*

Guest_Guest_001_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2010 - 02:07 PM

Sertraline is a stimulating antidepressant.
Maybe not the best choice. Does it cause the insomnia ?
If this is just a temporary issue a hypnotic benzodiazepine might work.

Usually clozapine knocks people out.
If that's not enough ... Lots of options, but I think the pdoc should figure out how to deal with this.

Btw, amitriptyline has no dietary restrictions, it's a TCA.

#9 sorrel

sorrel

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 965 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 02:42 PM

Usually clozapine knocks people out.

Clozapine would NEVER be used as a sleep aid. As a high-risk drug, it's only used for refractory psychosis.

#10 withdelight

withdelight

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 03:09 PM

like others have said... trazodone and remeron were the ones that knocked me out the best.
dx: bipolar II, seasonal affective disorder, hashimoto's disease
rx: lamictal 300mg, cymbalta 60mg, wellbutrin XL 300mg, geodon 40mg, klonopin 0.5mg PRN, levoxyl 88mcg, cytomel 5mcg, fish oil 5000mg

past dx: MDD, GAD, social anxiety disorder, dysthymia, mood disorder NOS, bipolar NOS, ADD
past rx: effexor, lexapro, remeron, ativan, ritalin, buspar, lithium, trazodone, seroquel, latuda, zoloft

#11 null0trooper

null0trooper

• Pip
  • 3928 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 03:11 PM

i know all tablets effect people differently but i wanted to know if any of you have taken an anti-depressant that has helped with sleep? Im taking setraline/zofolot?

Wellbutrin helped my sleep quality immensely. Both at night and on the highway.
I'm not sure I was ever entirely awake on Lexapro, except for those times I had to bit into a handkerchief or towel because I felt like crawling out of my skin.
I recently had to admit to my doctor that Norpramin doesn't exactly keep me up either.

On the other hand, the last couple of months I was on Parnate, I was getting may 2-3 hrs sleep a night. Except that time I decided that taking melatonin would be a good idea (No. It's STUPID idea.)

Yes, people can react *that* differently.

At the moment but despite taking my clozapine at night i still find myself awake at 2/3am. I have tried good sleep hygiene but i just cant switch off at night. Ive had small doses of amytriptaline before but wouldnt want to take it as im aware you have to be careful with your diet. So yeah, anyone had any luck?

The only dietary problems with Elavil come from grapefruit and starfruit (liver enzyme interaction) but those are easy enough to avoid. But you are really having problems knocking yourself out for the evening, diphenhydramine (Benadryl) is really well tolerated by most people (*I* end up with RLS, a relative of mine would go hyper on it)

If Benadryl's not strong enough, Dothiepin (a TCA closely related to Elevil) is a strong antihistamine (500x stronger than Benadryl, IIRC) and very sedating. There's lots of sedating ADs between those extremes.

As you can probably guess, I favor espresso as a sleepytime aid.

Proof once again that we are the only adventurers for whom the letters "AD&D" stand for "Attention Deficit Disorder" - Roy Greenhilt, Order of the Stick

Rule your own nation at Cyber Nations, A nation simulation game! Yes, I do waste spend a lot of time on it, especially the Viridian Entente's alliance boards.

#12 briefcrossing

briefcrossing

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 02:26 AM

I was prescribed mirtazapine for severe depression and sleep difficulties a couple of years ago. It worked, although I had to switch to lexapro because of side effects.

Edited by briefcrossing, 13 July 2010 - 02:27 AM.

diagnosis: OCD, schizotypal personality disorder
meds: escitalopram 20mg, risperidone 2mg, benztropine 2mg

#13 ChemistryExperiment

ChemistryExperiment

Carbon Based Chemical

• Pip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 05:14 AM

i know all tablets effect people differently but i wanted to know if any of you have taken an anti-depressant that has helped with sleep? Im taking setraline/zofolot?

Wellbutrin helped my sleep quality immensely. Both at night and on the highway.
I'm not sure I was ever entirely awake on Lexapro, except for those times I had to bit into a handkerchief or towel because I felt like crawling out of my skin.
I recently had to admit to my doctor that Norpramin doesn't exactly keep me up either.

On the other hand, the last couple of months I was on Parnate, I was getting may 2-3 hrs sleep a night. Except that time I decided that taking melatonin would be a good idea (No. It's STUPID idea.)

Yes, people can react *that* differently.

At the moment but despite taking my clozapine at night i still find myself awake at 2/3am. I have tried good sleep hygiene but i just cant switch off at night. Ive had small doses of amytriptaline before but wouldnt want to take it as im aware you have to be careful with your diet. So yeah, anyone had any luck?

The only dietary problems with Elavil come from grapefruit and starfruit (liver enzyme interaction) but those are easy enough to avoid. But you are really having problems knocking yourself out for the evening, diphenhydramine (Benadryl) is really well tolerated by most people (*I* end up with RLS, a relative of mine would go hyper on it)

If Benadryl's not strong enough, Dothiepin (a TCA closely related to Elevil) is a strong antihistamine (500x stronger than Benadryl, IIRC) and very sedating. There's lots of sedating ADs between those extremes.

As you can probably guess, I favor espresso as a sleepytime aid.

Ahh, espresso and coffee can be very hard on my stomach, I prefer the Diet Mountain Dew as a sleepy time aid... but will add some skim milk to espresso or coffee for a sleepy time aid sometimes as well! Wellbutrin also made me sleep more.

Life isn't about finding yourself

its about CREATING yourself

----------------------------------------------------------

if you're crazy and you know it clap your hands!

*clap*

*clap*

#14 Guest_Vapourware_*

Guest_Vapourware_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2010 - 06:20 AM

I'd probably second the Dothiepin/Dosulepin suggestion as well if you're looking for something which will primarily aid your sleep. However, its mood-elevating properties are said to be mild so you might not want to depend on it as your primary AD unless you think your depression isn't too bad.

#15 scatty

scatty

The only way out is through.

• Pip
  • 3955 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 02:25 PM

Amitriptyline. I may have to go back on it soon.

Dx:
Bipolar I & Anxiety.  Self diagnosed cunt.

My New (old) Meds: (previously these kept me the most stable)
Lithium ER 1350 mgs.
Lamictal 200 mgs.

Klonopin 2 mgs.

Practicing CBT, DBT, and ACT self-help therapy.

Crazy since the 80's!

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.