what is the thorazine shuffle?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 headache

headache

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:24 PM

can someone plz describe to me what the thorazine shuffle is? i tried looking it up on google and it came up with a metal/rock song lol.

#2 tryp

tryp

DBT = Diary Card Bingo

• Inmate
  • 6664 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:33 PM

Because the typical antipsychotics work by blocking dopamine receptors, they can cause Parkinsonian (similar to those seen in Parkinson's disease) symptoms. One of these is a kind of shuffling gait while walking. It involves slow, stiff movements.

The term has been generalized to include the concept of being doped into oblivion, but the original symptom that the term refers to is the above.

Edited by tryp, 15 July 2010 - 03:35 PM.

Diag-nonsense: complex PTSD w/ recurrent depression
Tx: Lamictal (250) + prazosin (7.5) + therapy

#3 Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis

The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering.

• Admin
  • 12797 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:41 PM

It doesn't happen to everyone, or even the majority of the people on the drug, however. It's mostly a term thrown around by anti-medication groups who don't even understand what MI is like and how helpful medication can be.

De-gnosis: ADD, recurrent depression (or maybe bpII in the guise of such), Asperger's, OCD, social anxiety
Today's Pill Menu: Dexedrine, Wellbutrin (Budeprion), Strattera, Celexa, Risperdal, and clonazepam

Like other moderators and staff of crazyboards.org, I am not a health care professional. You have no way of knowing that I am not talking out my ass. Please do your own homework before making any health related decisions.

Buy me Stuff: Amazon Wishlist

#4 AirMarshall

AirMarshall

Jumping the CB Shark

• Pip
  • 6686 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:24 PM

I don't think it has any medical basis as terminology.

It's a perjorative term implying the use of the drug to sedate patients into non-functioning compliant zombies who are able to do little more than shuffle around the hospital ward.

While it could be used that way, I think anyone with experience in any responsible treatment program will attest to the falseness of this assertion.

a.m.

**My work is done.  Swimming for the nearest shore.**

#5 Laume

Laume

medicated non-zombie.

• Pip
  • 383 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:33 PM

My dad used the term for the shuffling of highly medicated fellow patients he first saw when he went inpateint back in the 70s.
Air Marshall -your avatar makes me want to vomit ;)

I don't like to consider myself mentally ill, I prefer the term mentally interesting.

Diagnoses: BP I; PTSD; Borderline tendencies (whatever the hell those are)

Current meds:  200 mg co-sertraline, 5 mg Abilify, 3 mg xanax

Med cocktail that worked but I am off for financial reasons BOOHOO: Depakote 1000 mg; Co-Sertraline 200 mg; Welbutrin XL 300 mg; Abilify 5 mg; Xanax 3 mg; Imovaine 7.5 mg; Synthroid 0.01 mg
Extras: B6/12, Vitamin D 4000 iu.

past meds: Citalopram (meh), Effexor (meh), Remeron (made me VERY ANGRY and agitated and want to cut myself), Risperidone (who needs to have clear vision ?), Paxil (goodbye you evil substance) Lithium 900 mg (levels dropped, couldn't up dose without side-effects so it is goodbye old helpful friend and thanks for the crazy elevated Thyroid hormones as your parting gift), restoril - did nothing, Trazodone (something had to go to try Welburtin, so its bye bye for now zombie med)

#6 Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis

The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering.

• Admin
  • 12797 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:48 PM

be nice sabrina. He really looks like that.

De-gnosis: ADD, recurrent depression (or maybe bpII in the guise of such), Asperger's, OCD, social anxiety
Today's Pill Menu: Dexedrine, Wellbutrin (Budeprion), Strattera, Celexa, Risperdal, and clonazepam

Like other moderators and staff of crazyboards.org, I am not a health care professional. You have no way of knowing that I am not talking out my ass. Please do your own homework before making any health related decisions.

Buy me Stuff: Amazon Wishlist

#7 Laume

Laume

medicated non-zombie.

• Pip
  • 383 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 08:34 PM

lol for real, Velvet! ;)

Edited by sabrina, 15 July 2010 - 08:34 PM.

I don't like to consider myself mentally ill, I prefer the term mentally interesting.

Diagnoses: BP I; PTSD; Borderline tendencies (whatever the hell those are)

Current meds:  200 mg co-sertraline, 5 mg Abilify, 3 mg xanax

Med cocktail that worked but I am off for financial reasons BOOHOO: Depakote 1000 mg; Co-Sertraline 200 mg; Welbutrin XL 300 mg; Abilify 5 mg; Xanax 3 mg; Imovaine 7.5 mg; Synthroid 0.01 mg
Extras: B6/12, Vitamin D 4000 iu.

past meds: Citalopram (meh), Effexor (meh), Remeron (made me VERY ANGRY and agitated and want to cut myself), Risperidone (who needs to have clear vision ?), Paxil (goodbye you evil substance) Lithium 900 mg (levels dropped, couldn't up dose without side-effects so it is goodbye old helpful friend and thanks for the crazy elevated Thyroid hormones as your parting gift), restoril - did nothing, Trazodone (something had to go to try Welburtin, so its bye bye for now zombie med)

#8 sylvan

sylvan

Pill Party

• Admin
  • 4169 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:02 PM

I've had the Thorazine shuffle. It was most assuredly a real condition. Lots of Thorazine does strange things to your body. It makes your joints so that they don't want to move. When you walk, you barely lift your feet up off the ground. Way back then, in the 70's and early 80's, there weren't a lot of drugs to pick from. You could always tell who was on Thorazine because of the way they walked and the way they moved their arms. They would move their arms without bending their elbows. With Haldol they'd give you Cogentin to counteract the side effects but with Thorazine you learned to live with them.

It has been a year since one of the best people that I've ever had the pleasure of knowing passed away. He was strong, intelligent, caring, and honest. I had the honor of calling him Daddy. I will miss both my parents for as long as I live. I hope that I can be even half as good of a spouse, parent, and friend as the two of them were. Life is now forever changed for me. It will never be like it was. That doesn't mean it will all be bad, it will just be different.

#9 isthisit

isthisit

Þar Til Að Við Rústum Öllu Og Reisum Aftur

• Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 01:46 PM

Air Marshall -your avatar makes me want to vomit ;)

But if Zoidberg was real, that's exactly what he would look like.
Dx: BPII, BPD, and ADD
Current Meds: Seroquel XR 150mg, Lunesta 3mg,Vyvanse 50mg, Welbutrin XR 150mg.
Past Meds: Lexapro, Paxil, Depakote, Lithium, Seroquel, Lamictal, Risperdal, Geodon, Abilify, Adderall XR, Prozac, Saphris, Ambien
Posted Image

#10 etkearne

etkearne

• Pip
  • 330 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 02:24 PM

Typical antipsychotics and very high doses of atypicals (mainly risperidone and olanzapine) can cause motor difficulties. I never thought I would experience something like that until when I had to take 40mg of Zyprexa one afternoon. Everything that people said about Haldol and Thorazine became true for me on Zyprexa. Of course, I was taking (although doctor ordered) 4 times the average dose, but it was still scary. It was like wanting to scream and throw a fit, but not being able to do anything except twitch and grimace. Horrible.

So, yes, it is real, however, I have heard it called the "Haldol Shuffle" which is more likely since Haldol is an almost pure D2 antagonist. Thorazine has M1 and H1 antagonist properties which actually lower expression of EPS. However, just like high doses of Zyprexa, it can happen.
Diagnosis- Bipolar Type I - Rapid Cycling, Narcissistic Personality Disorder, Opioid Dependency (in remission)

Present Medications (in total daily dose)- Lithium Carbonate (600mg), Zyprexa (10mg), Suboxone Film (4mg), Efffexor XR (225mg), Concerta (54mg), Klonopin (1-2mg)

Attempts- Imipramine, Amitryptamine, Lexapro, Paxil, Risperdal, Trileptal, Lamictal, Cymbalta, Abilify, Wellbutrin, Seroquel, Adderall

Psychology- Weekly individual therapy, looking to change to new therapist soon!

I recently updated my "About Me" in my profile. If you want to know more about me, please read it.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.