• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ChemistryExperiment

ChemistryExperiment

Carbon Based Chemical

• Pip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 08:06 PM

When I took Wellbutrin SR it made me vomit and have flu like symptoms the three days I was on it... but my depression and concentration are crap and so my doctor wants to try Wellbutrin XL to see if it works.. there were no studies on XL and nausea that he could find and i'm just worried that its going to be the same thing...

Life isn't about finding yourself

its about CREATING yourself

----------------------------------------------------------

if you're crazy and you know it clap your hands!

*clap*

*clap*

#2 null0trooper

null0trooper

• Pip
  • 3928 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 09:00 PM

When I took Wellbutrin SR it made me vomit and have flu like symptoms the three days I was on it... but my depression and concentration are crap and so my doctor wants to try Wellbutrin XL to see if it works.. there were no studies on XL and nausea that he could find and i'm just worried that its going to be the same thing...

Were you taking an SSRI or such until you went on the WB?  It's metabolized by some of the same
liver enzymes as several of the SSRIs, and several other medications besides (WB + tetracycline
yielded several hours of misery for me one weekend; starting Cymbalta immediately after stopping
WB was like getting kicked in the gut).  If so, it's possible that the other medication hadn't totally
cleared out, leaving you with an overworked liver.

Also, if you're one of those people who's still feeling medicated the day after a single dose of Robitussin,
a slow medical metabolism may have contributed to having too much bupropion in your blood stream
for too long when what you need are its metabolites. (This is not a high percentage of people by any
means)

Even so, the XL is supposed to spread the dose out and minimize the overall side effects.

Proof once again that we are the only adventurers for whom the letters "AD&D" stand for "Attention Deficit Disorder" - Roy Greenhilt, Order of the Stick

Rule your own nation at Cyber Nations, A nation simulation game! Yes, I do waste spend a lot of time on it, especially the Viridian Entente's alliance boards.

#3 ChemistryExperiment

ChemistryExperiment

Carbon Based Chemical

• Pip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 09:20 PM

No previous anti-depressant... well actually i was on amitriptyline at the time too.... but yeah....

*clap*

*clap*

#4 Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis

The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering.

• Admin
  • 12795 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 10:44 PM

XL is supposed to be mellowest of the lot.

Were you taking brand name SR or generic?  The generic made by Teva gave me horrid acid reflux, but the brand name drug and other generics have been fine.

Edited by Velvet Elvis, 01 June 2005 - 10:45 PM.

De-gnosis: ADD, recurrent depression (or maybe bpII in the guise of such), Asperger's, OCD, social anxiety
Today's Pill Menu: Dexedrine, Wellbutrin (Budeprion), Strattera, Celexa, Risperdal, and clonazepam

Like other moderators and staff of crazyboards.org, I am not a health care professional. You have no way of knowing that I am not talking out my ass. Please do your own homework before making any health related decisions.

Buy me Stuff: Amazon Wishlist

#5 Ophelia

Ophelia

I bitch, therefore I am...

• Pip
  • 3287 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 11:48 PM

I'm worry to hear that the SR made you sick, but, if it can possibly help, I think that you should definately try the XR.... I might be getting switched to it as well (from effexor).  Hopefully, what happened before will not happen again.. but, anyway, i don't think that you should worry and go into this with an open mind!  Ya never know, it might actually just work ;)

talk to you later
~Ophelia

"Instant gratification takes too long." ~Carrie Fisher

"You're wrong! I do have feelings. I'm an actress! I have all of them." ~Elise Elliot (Goldie Hawn), 'The First Wives Club'

"The defects and faults of the mind are like wounds in the body. After all imaginable care has been taken to heal them up, still there will be a scar left behind." ~Francois de la Rochefoucauld

"It has been said that time heals all wounds. I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue, and the pain lessens, but it is never gone." ~Rose Kennedy

#6 Squirlygrl

Squirlygrl

Bipolaroid

• Pip
  • 389 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 05:18 AM

I'm back on SR so I can stay at 75 mg, but I do remember that XL was mellower, so I think it's worth a try.

Wellbutrin is one of those drugs that works for me at a tiny dose and behaves badly at full strength; maybe a small dose would limit your side effects?

BP1/psychosis vs Depakote, Tegretol, Lamictal, therapy.

#7 plazmadroid

plazmadroid

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 09:50 AM

fwiw i have used both sr and xl. i preffer the sr.

for some weird reason when i take the xl, i get an indigestion feeling in the evening. it goes away with antacid, but i dont like to eat 2-4 tabs of that stuff every night.

take care

#8 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2005 - 01:04 PM

No previous anti-depressant... well actually i was on amitriptyline at the time too.... but yeah....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why were you taking Amitriptyline? If it was for sleep you could try Remeron with Wellbutrin as it is a good anti-nausea drug. (5-HT3 blockade)  Would probably make a good combo. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was on it for migraines...

#9 ChemistryExperiment

ChemistryExperiment

Carbon Based Chemical

• Pip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 01:05 PM

oops. that was me.. . i was on amitriptyline for migraines...

*clap*

*clap*

#10 Greenyflower

Greenyflower

WTF NOS

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 1551 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 10:00 PM

Hi, Febrezeaddict,

If you decide to give the XL a try, go for the brand name Wellbutrin, not anything generic (actually, I'm not sure if the XL even comes in generic). I've had no nausea or digestive problems with it. I made sure to take it with food for the first few days, just in case. But, it turned out that I can take it on an empty stomach. I hope it works for you.

Greeny
[link=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/" target="_blank]Posted Image[/link]

#11 Todd

Todd

Socrates (photograph above)

• Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 10:30 AM

Nope, there is no generic for Wellbutrin XL. Hey, GlaxoSmithKline has to find a way to make money somehow.
Diagnosis: Bipolar Disorder NOS (296.90)
Current Medications:
Lamictal (200mg)
Dexedrine (5mg)
Previous Medications:
Adderall, Concerta, Cymbalta, Depakote ER, Effexor XR, Focalin, Geodon, Keppra, Klonopin, Mirapex, Paxil, Provigil, Prozac, Topamax, Valium, Wellbutrin SR, and Zonegran.

#12 ChemistryExperiment

ChemistryExperiment

Carbon Based Chemical

• Pip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 07:28 PM

I'm glad there is no generic... the generic crud i was on before made me puke my guts out.

*clap*

*clap*

#13 HaloGirl66

HaloGirl66

Wannabe Timelord

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 967 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 09:00 AM

the XL made me nausated every day for the 2 weeks I tried it. Blech, It just was not the right med for me.
I am *not* any kind of medical professional. I can't spell either. I do the best I can.

My brain cooties: ADD, Wicked Insomnia, SI, Nonverbal Learning Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Periodic Depression and various neurological issues.

Current Meds: 10mg Ambien & 2 mg Xanax at bedtime, 1mg Xanax XR in the morning, 10mg Flexril as needed, 40mg Adderal
Not gonna list previous meds because this signature ain't long enough!

And when I squinted the world seemed rose-tinted
And angels appeared to descend
To my surprise with half-closed eyes
Things looked even better than when they were opened...

M. Gore

#14 ChemistryExperiment

ChemistryExperiment

Carbon Based Chemical

• Pip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 01:16 PM

I'm nauseous every day too... but its not like it was with the SR...

*clap*

*clap*

#15 Guest_wileycat_*

Guest_wileycat_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2005 - 09:55 PM

I didn't do very well on XL at all and began to have nearly severe stomach cramping and constipation for the whole two months I was on it. I finally stopped taking it and the stomach problems went away. I switched myself back to the SR and am starting to feel better again.

The nurse told me I am not the only one who has a hard time wtih XL and that it is the chemicals they put in one or the other to make it sustained or extended release that some people find they can't tolerate. So it could be those chemicals. Do they even have just regular Wellbutrin anymore?

When I started they had just Wellbutrin.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.