Wellbutrin XL - every other day?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 0liviay

0liviay

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 07:17 PM

Hello all - I know someone who was helped a lot on this board, so I thought I'd finally sign up. I have been taking Wellbutrin XL 300/day for about 2 years (this go-round). I'm also taking generic prozac 15mg/day, generic adderall, ambien CR 6.25, and armour thyroid 60 grains. My employer's Rx insurance changed on July 1, so that my monthly drug expenses alone have increased by over $100/mo, and I have others in my family who take meds, too. Luckily, enough pdocs protested that they continue to cover brand name Wellbutrin (generic didn't work for me), but it's gone up a lot. I'm trying to figure out how I can cut myself back on some of my meds to save money. I've already cut the dextroamphetamine from 3 pills/day to 2, and I'm considering lowering my prozac to 10 (although I originally settled at 15 because my pdoc wanted me to take 20mg, which was too much, and 10 was too little). Unfortunately, these (and the thyroid) are the cheapest meds anyway. My sleep disorder is pretty severe, and the Ambien CR is the only thing that has helped, so I'm not messing with that. I know I can't break or cut the Wellbutrin, but I'm wondering if anyone has taken it every other day? The prescribing info mentions that those with liver problems should take 150 every other day. I understand that that's because of the liver metabolising the drug. But I wonder if the XL formulation would help to prevent a roller coaster effect in general. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks in advance for your help. xo

#2 olga

olga

Life is better when you bring home a furry pal

• Inmate
  • 10355 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 08:46 PM

The XL is designed to release in your body over a 20-24 hour period. If you take it every other day, you will have good days on it, and probably not-so-good days off it.

You said that the generic didn't work for you---did you know there are several generics? I was being charged $350 for 3 months of the name brand stuff, and I'm now paying $50 for the Watson generic. It works just fine---I feel the same as I did on the name brand. Anchen also makes a very good generic.

If you tried the Teva generic, a lot of people had trouble with that one. But you really should give another generic a trial, and I bet one of them will work for you and will be inexpensive.

olga

I'm bossy, opinionated, and over 60, so be prepared for advice if you post a question. However, I am not a medical professional, so please consult a doctor about your mental health issues and medications.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

“Forgiveness is a strange thing. It can sometimes be easier to forgive our enemies than our friends. It can be hardest of all to forgive people we love. Like all of life's important coping skills, the ability to forgive and the capacity to let go of resentments most likely take root very early in our lives.”
― Fred Rogers

#3 Aurochs

Aurochs

I've got a lot on my mind and a lot of gun in my hand.

• Inmate
  • 784 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:38 PM

Getting a specific generic may not be easy. Individual locations in a pharmacy chain may not have the power to order different generics than what their headquarters sets up, and the suppliers may substitute generic manufacturers at will.

Unfortunately, the Teva generic is the most common, likely because it's the cheapest, or because Teva has a lot of contract power. If your pharmacy stocks that one, ask the pharmacist if he can order a different generic. If he can't, you might want to try a different pharmacy. If you're stable on a dose, and you find a generic that works, your best bet is to ask your pdoc to write for 3 months worth in one fill.
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." --Carl Sagan

#4 0liviay

0liviay

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:55 AM

Thank you for your responses - I'm not sure if it was Teva or not, but I did notice that it was called budeprion instead of bupropion. I never understood how they could call that a generic of WB if it didn't even have the same drug name. I will start calling around to see who carries what. My husband has the same problem with generic Ambien (zolpidem) -- only one generic brand works for him, and only CVS carries it.

#5 olga

olga

Life is better when you bring home a furry pal

• Inmate
  • 10355 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:58 AM

The CVS in my area has the Watson generic, so if you're able to buy from CVS, ask them about it. Good luck!

olga

I'm bossy, opinionated, and over 60, so be prepared for advice if you post a question. However, I am not a medical professional, so please consult a doctor about your mental health issues and medications.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

“Forgiveness is a strange thing. It can sometimes be easier to forgive our enemies than our friends. It can be hardest of all to forgive people we love. Like all of life's important coping skills, the ability to forgive and the capacity to let go of resentments most likely take root very early in our lives.”
― Fred Rogers

#6 fluffybirdie

fluffybirdie

• Pip
  • 444 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:16 PM

I have never heard of such a thing as every other day.
I did have a bad experience with the Teva generic and now take only brand, because it's the all that is available to me now. But a lot of people like some of the generics that are not Teva.
I just really wouldn't go every other day. While I'm am super med compliant, I do rush around and forget on the rare occasion, or travel and have it go missing. And if I don't take my vitamin W, I feel like pond scum by evening. And I've been on it well over 4 years now.
Just my 2 cents. I'm sorry about your change of insurance, what a pain in the rear...

#7 M13

M13

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:21 PM

I was recently on Wellbutrin SR 150 once a day. After 2 months I stopped taking it. Now I'm thinking about going back on it every other day too. I felt a bit better while on it and I found that I consumed a lot less alcohol while on Wellbutrin. I tend to drink a bit more than i should, so that's a good thing. But, it also kind of killed my sex drive, made me constipated, and amped up my anxiety quite a bit. Thank God for Xanax! ;)

I think I'm going to start taking the SR 150 every other morning to see if that's a happy medium. I'll try to remember to post a follow up in a month or so on how it compares to the daily dose, and whether or not it resolves any of the side effects I've encountered.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.