Photo

ALCOHOL! Do you think it makes your feelings come forward?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Poll: What are your experiences with hindsight on the effect of alcohol on your emotions? (29 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think that when you are under the influence of alcohol it removes your inhibitions and shows how you feel RIGHT THEN or is it ALL false?

1. Alcohol removes my inhibitions and reveals my true feelings AT THE TIME (9 votes [21.43%])

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

2. Alcohol removes my inhibitions and reveals my true feelings IN GENERAL (5 votes [11.90%])

Percentage of vote: 11.90%

3. Alcohol makes me feel better than I would without it (12 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

4. Alcohol makes me feel worse than I would without it (5 votes [11.90%])

Percentage of vote: 11.90%

5. Alcohol interacts with my meds so I don't drink (7 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

6. I don't drink as a rule (4 votes [9.52%])

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 BPCharlotte

BPCharlotte

Am I Mad? You Decide

• Pip
  • 576 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 06:36 PM

I'm curious. I know none of us should drink as a rule because it alters our state of mind and complicates our treatment, but there's no denying some of us do.

Personally, I find it can enhance feelings, good or bad. I use it as an emotional crutch, in part because my meds aren't enough. Yes, I know I need to speak to the docs about it, but I have to wait til next month for my appt, and even then, I'm gonna struggle to get across how I feel. But that's irrelevant to this poll.

Thanks in advance to anyone with an opinion, and feel free to share your experiences.
all the best, Charlotte x

Quote: -"Love can conquer each and every dark feeling within us, believe in it, reach for it, hold it gently in your hands. Treat it with respect and care, it will return your efforts a thousandfold"-

#2 jarn

jarn

• Pip
  • 1592 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 06:49 PM

What if you drink, but not to the point of impairment and altered feelings? A beer has about as much effect on my feelings as tea.

Not that I don't ever drink to impairment, but. Perhaps I'm quibbling too much.

Current meds: Saphris 25mg, Latuda 40mg, Lamotrigine 250mg, Pristiq 50mg, Ativan 1mg

#3 water

water

that's as maybe

• Pip
  • 4358 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 06:59 PM

Alcohol generally just calms me a bit and I feel pleasantly woozy. Anything more than a glass or two I get nauseous, dizzy, and loosey goosey. The meds have definitely increased my sensitivity to alcohol tenfold. I could check all of those categories except the last.

┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄

aplenzin 522, lexapro 20, xanax 5 prn, valium 5 prn

Sensitive dependance on initial conditions
Small disturbances, big repercussions
We are all so vulnerable.

#4 tryp

tryp

DBT = Diary Card Bingo

• Inmate
  • 6432 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:04 PM

I don't drink at all - to be honest I figure I probably have an addictive personality and I don't want to go down that road at all.

Diag-nonsense: complex PTSD w/ recurrent depression
Tx: Lamictal (250) + prazosin (7.5) + therapy

#5 fluffybirdie

fluffybirdie

• Pip
  • 444 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 09:34 AM

I voted for makes me feel better. I enjoy a drink in almost any situation that is appropriate. I feel relaxed and more social. But it doesn't always make my true feelings come forward, like I won't reveal any deep dark secrets or anything. And I'm never a sad or angry drinker. But after a couple of drinks I do things I wouldn't do sober, like dance at a club, karaoke, etc..
And when I've had a rough day for whatever reason having a drink after calms me nicely.
I have a very high tolerance, you will rarely find me drunk.

#6 spork

spork

• Pip
  • 285 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 12:47 PM

I do drink occassionally. Maybe once a month, often less frequently than that. It's a take it or leave it thing with me. I can leave it for months. If I drink, it's usually one... sometimes two drinks.

I feel like my inhibitions are lowered if I have more than two drinks. I don't feel my "true feelings" are revealed if I've been drinking.

In the past, drinking more then two drinks made me say dumb things. Gosh, I'd hope those weren't my "true feelings." If that's the case, then I guess I was an a**hole in real life, and alcohol just helped unmask my true nature. Unfortunately, if I'd had a few ... or more, it was easier to put my foot in my mouth. And I don't like to behave like that, thus my two drink maximum now.

The other reason I don't drink more than my one or two drinks is that I think it interferes with my meds rather than helps them. After even one drink, I'll sometimes feel depressed the next day.

My opinion... I'd share with the pdoc about your drinking. He/she might have some insight/recommendations for you. I guess you already said you would do that. Anyway, that's my two cents...

Edited by spork, 20 August 2010 - 12:53 PM.

All the world is full of suffering. It is also full of overcoming.
Helen Keller

Dx: Bipolar I
... situational anxiety and migraines.
Current meds: Trileptal, Celexa, Lunesta, and Xanax

#7 Maddy

Maddy

Shadow of nothing

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 3970 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 01:06 PM

I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis.
J/K.

I don't normally drink. When I do it's usually no more than 2 beers with dinner.
I don't think it makes my underlying feelings come to the surface.
In the past I drank more heavily but I don't now.

I <3 my meds!
DX: undifferentiated schizophrenia
RX: Fanapt, Topamax, Ativan, Celexa

Past RX: Paxil, Prozac, Zoloft, Lexapro, Remeron, Strattera, Trazodone, Lamictal, Neurontin, Depakote, Lithium, Vistaril, Buspar, Clonidine, Tegretol, Gabitril, Keppra, Depakene, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Haldol, Abilify, Saphris, Adderall, Valium, Primidone. I know there are others I've forgotten over the years.
Boards I mod: Schizophrenia & Various Psychoses, Hormone & Glandular Problems, any others as needed.

#8 daisy

daisy

Daisy

• Pip
  • 527 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 05:06 PM

I've never found alcohol to interfere with my meds or my moods, so I won't deny that I drink. (Hell, I drank way too much last night!) It does make me say my true feelings at the time, and sometimes my true feelings in general, but I have still only spoken about mental illness with close friends. I have revealed a lot of crushes, though! Sometimes I also lie, which is kind of weird, because I don't ever really lie when I'm not drunk.

I didn't click that it makes me feel better because I drink it, because I think in general, it doesn't make me feel worse or better. However, when I'm out with friends in an environment where there is drinking, I do feel better when I drink. We end up being silly and having fun and being normal 24-year-olds... and I don't get to be a normal 24-year-old a lot, so it does make me feel better in that way. I also find it nice to have a beer or a glass of scotch or wine at the end of the day, particularly a stressful one. It can just be soothing at the end of a long day, and I feel better. Then again, I also like the taste of all of those drinks, so I guess it's not really that odd. And having a glass of wine while reading a book when it's raining outside is one of my favorite things ever. (Except I live in Texas, and I think I've now forgotten what rain IS because it's been so long.)

Love, Daisy

Dx: Severe, indigenous, treatment-resistant, and recurrent atypical Major Depressive Disorder. I also have General Anxiety Disorder with panic attacks, mild OCD, ADHD - inattentive, and insomnia. I also have Hopefulness, Optimism, Idealism & Surprisingly Happy Disorder. That helps! :)
Rx: Aplenzin 522 mg, Lamictal 400 mg, lithium 600 mg, Geodon 160 mg, Armour Thyroid 60 mg, Vyvanse 70 mg, clonazepam 1 mg TID, temazepam 30-60 mg, alprazolam 1 mg PRN, and Diet Dr Pepper 2x daily.
Previous Rx: Abilify, Adderall, Adderall XR, Ambien, Ambien CR, Concerta, Deplin, Effexor, Latuda, Lexapro, Lunesta, Parnate, Paxil, Pristiq, Prozac, Remeron, Ritalin, Seroquel, Sonata, Topamax, Trazodone, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, and Zoloft.
Other Treatments: 15 unilateral ECT treatments between August 5, 2011 to September 29, 2011; 13 bilateral ECT treatments between November 2, 2011 to December 16, 2011. Use of a light box.

"A dream is a wish your heart makes when you're fast asleep. In dreams, you will lose your heartaches. Whatever you wish for, you keep. Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow will come smiling through. No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dreams that you wish will come true."
-- Cinderella

"I could never be cynical. I wouldn't dare. I'd roll over and die before that."
-- Audrey Hepburn

"Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplaceable spark, in the hopeless swamps of the not-quite, the not-yet, and the not-at-all. Do not let the hero in your soul perish in the lonely frustration for the life you deserved and have never been able to reach. The world you desire can be won. It exists. It is real. It is possible. It is yours."
-- Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

#9 withing

withing

tired of being tired...

• Pip
  • 3018 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 06:28 PM

I don't drink NOW, but i used to. when I drank it didn't bring out the "real" me, it just made me act the fool. Which is why I didn't drink very often - or to excess - except that one year where I drank a lot. Other than that, I tried not to drink all that much.
`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~
The Past is the textbook of tyrants; the Future the Bible of the Free. Those who are solely governed by the Past stand like Lot's wife, crystallized in the act of looking backward, and forever incapable of looking before. ~Herman Melville, White Jacket
DX: Bipolar (flavor undecided) & various physical stuff
RX: Topamax: 100mg, Seroquel: 200mg, Welbutrin XL: 300

...and then,
Buffy staked Edward.

~~The End~~

#10 Latin Girl

Latin Girl

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 777 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 02:06 AM

I voted for makes me feel better. I enjoy a drink in almost any situation that is appropriate. I feel relaxed and more social. But it doesn't always make my true feelings come forward, like I won't reveal any deep dark secrets or anything. And I'm never a sad or angry drinker. But after a couple of drinks I do things I wouldn't do sober, like dance at a club, karaoke, etc..
And when I've had a rough day for whatever reason having a drink after calms me nicely.
I have a very high tolerance, you will rarely find me drunk.

This is exactly how I feel too.

LG
Life is sexy, lick it while you can!!!!!!

#11 DarkendHour

DarkendHour

My reality check bounced

• Pip
  • 732 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 04:41 AM

I hardly ever drink anymore. I did enjoy the more ummm people person I was when drunk but the complete lack of self control was no fun... at least after I wasn't drunk anymore.
Dx - depends on who you ask. Schizoaffective Bipolar type -or- Paranoid Schizophrenic. Some times PTSD or Generalized Anxiety, again depends on the person you ask.

Rx - Burpropion HCL XL (generic for Wellbutrin XL) 150mg 2xday, Perphenazine (Generic for Trilafon) 4mg 2xday

#12 BPCharlotte

BPCharlotte

Am I Mad? You Decide

• Pip
  • 576 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 04:59 PM

I drink to make myself feel better. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Sometimes it allows me to admit things to myself which are important to work through, so it's helpful. Sometimes it lets through feelings that I'm not able to deal with right there and then.

I feel I need something more than my current meds, but I know that alcohol isn't necessarily the best answer. I will talk to my doc about it at my next appt, but on previous experience I'm not hopeful of a better solution. My long-running problems with docs leave me with little confidence of that, but I will try to explain what has been going on and how badly it all affects my life, my family, and my hopes for the future. Time to lay my cards on the table. I just hope that doesn't mean putting my family out even more than my MI has done already.

I personally think that alcohol takes away my inbuilt thoughts/feelings censor, whether for good or bad. I don't want to drink, but feel the need to. That tells me that I have issues that need to be addressed.

I guess the best thing to say is that drinking = trouble if you have nobody to work through the aftermath with. And I intend to work on that. My last two doc appts resulted in being told I'd be referred for therapy, but I've heard nothing. So I'll chase that up, and hopefully I'll find a better way to accept how I feel.
all the best, Charlotte x

Quote: -"Love can conquer each and every dark feeling within us, believe in it, reach for it, hold it gently in your hands. Treat it with respect and care, it will return your efforts a thousandfold"-

#13 BIMBO

BIMBO

• Pip
  • 195 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 06:54 PM

http://www.medindia....Out-33618-1.htm

I love alcohol and do still drink, but don't want to. Ultimately it makes everything worse, well for people with MI anyway.

"anyone can look, but we all need help to see" (Meinig, 1979:6).

It's never too late to be what you might have been.--George Eliot.

He has gone where savage indignation can lacerate his heart no more.

BiPolar 2, PTSD, Social Phobia, GAD.
Current meds: Seroquel, Lamictal, Clonazapam, Fish oil.

#14 bpladybug

bpladybug

Your friendly bipolar Aunt

• Pip
  • 4385 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 12:43 PM

Alcohol is dangerous because of my bipolar meds and family history of alcoholism. I do not drink for my moods.
On occasion, a social occasion I might have one drink or one glass of wine.
That is all I can handle.
So, maybe one alcoholic beverage every two weeks.
I always have bourbon more than one bottle at home because I like it.
But I seldom drink my bourbon.
I have enough problems without becoming the alcoholic that I know is just waiting to come out and take over my life.

No thank you dual diagnosis. Not in my life.

ladybuglove.jpg

'Mania is a dangerous Mistress.' BPLadybug

Bipolar 1
Treatment: 900 mgs Lithium, 900 mgs Neurontin, 400 mgs Seroquel, Xanax prn, Temazepam, fish oil, vitamins, Vit. D 5, 000 IU, exercize, some talk therapy and CBT Therapy. Exercize helps as does the Light Box; 30 mins every morning. I also have physical health challenges.

#15 isis

isis

• Pip
  • 807 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 01:56 PM

I rarely drink anymore, and when i do, it will be less than one drink - usually a sip or two of my partner's drink. Unless i eat a l iarge meal (and i normally eat smaller meals) i can usually only handle 1/2 glass max of anything standard drink sized these days.

I don't enjoy being drunk but I do enjoy the taste of alcohol. I used to have quite a high tolerance before I started meds. I now find that I get drunk almost immediately, which is pretty much sedation, coordination problems and nausea. All from only a few sips sometimes. I also get a hangover, which is not enjoyable. Prior to meds, i didn't have any of those problems, and I could drink up to 7 drinks in a night without a problem. These days i avoid it.

I found that as a stressed/anxious person I enjoyed the relaxing effects of it but this also concerned me because i was not in control. I think i tend to be a bit more reckless, open, talkative and affectionate under the influence. This is ok near my partner, and not ok if i'm out with other people, especially guys. I'm a lot better these days, i.e. if i have more than a few sips and feel quite intoxicated, i am a lot more well behaved.

I also feel that i have an addictive personality, i also have a family history of alcoholism and diabetes so these are also good reasons for avoiding it.

isis.
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost. H. Jackson Browne
dx: bipolar
rx: pristiq 250mg, tegretol 600mg, propranolol 20mg
ex-rx: valproate, lithium, edronax, lovan, propranolol, seroquel, pericyazine (and short trials of risperdal and abilify) lamictal, tegretol, zeldox, effexor

#16 karuna

karuna

Lady Fanackerpan

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 3785 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 06:33 PM

Alcohol makes me affectionate. Occasionally I sink half a bottle of wine at home with my honey but other than that I'm sober!
Life shrinks or expands in proportion to ones courage : Anais Nin

'The attainment of wholeness requires one to stake one's whole being. Nothing less will do; there can be no easier conditions, no substitutes, no compromises': Jung

DX: borderline personality disorder/bipolar/psychosis/trauma history
RX: Lithium and Seroquel

I have a blog at:

http://dedicationtor....wordpress.com/

Feel free to come leave input, read and heckle!

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.