Photo
- - - - -

Effexor/Venlafaxine is supposed to make you sleepy?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Poll: Effexor/Venlafaxine is supposed to make you sleepy? (6 member(s) have cast votes)

Did Effexor make you sleepy?

1. Sleepy (2 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. Buzzy (2 votes [33.33%])

3. Neither (2 votes [33.33%])

Is there a connection to weight loss/gain?

1. Sleepy + Weight gain (1 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

2. Sleepy + Weight loss (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Buzzy + Weight gain (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Buzzy + Weight loss (2 votes [33.33%])

5. None of the above (3 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Kseudonym

Kseudonym

Boing

• Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 08:45 AM

I've been on generic-version Effexor/venlafaxine XR (75mg) since Wednesday and I'm really happy with it so far - I didn't even know it was possible for a med to start working this fast.

My only slight issues are constant mild buzziness/jitteriness, lack of appetite, occaisional shakes, dizziness and nausea, and pretty bad insomnia.

It doesn't sound so slight when I right it all down like that, but it's nothing comapred to how much better I feel and the insomnia doesn't appear to come with any feelings of actually being tired the next day, despite getting about two hours sleep. That's down from 8-12 in the couple of weeks since discontinuing 30mg of Mirtazepine (Remeron).

I was in Boots (pharmacy) yesterday for some hairdye and I saw some herbal sleeping aids on sale, so I thought it might be an idea to try some, especially since I'm going away tomorrow and will have to share a room, and I don't to be the annoying person tossing and turning noisily all night then turning a light on to read at 5:30 am.

Decided to be good and ask the pharmacist if there were any contraindications with venlafaxine, 'cause I know there is some herbal stuff out there that can really mess with your real meds.

She just said, 'Well, I assume the venlafaxine will be making you drowsy, so...'

Nope, no drowsiness. The opposite. She said she didn't know of any issues with Kalms and my meds, but I was just wondering if my reaction to Effexor is really that unusual. Wondered if you guys had any experiences.

I was also guessing that the weight loss potential listed on the sheet was to do with how buzzy and non-hungry it makes you, but if that isn't normal, I was wondering if anyone knows why it has that effect?
Diagnosis: Depression NOS, weird bipolar-esque med reactions, and occasional insomnia-driven delusions, rape survivor-ness
Treatment: Effexor XR 150mg, Tequila, Cigarettes, LARPing

#2 lachesis

lachesis

• Pip
  • 829 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 02:22 PM

Doctors tell me to take it in the morning because they say it is activating.

When one has a deep depression there tends to be lack of sleep (unless one has atypical depression where one over sleeps). When the depression is treated one resumes being able to sleep so Effexor should make one be able to sleep if it is treating the depression. Effexor is known for kicking ass at severe depression, but there can be many side effects so it not usually used before others antidepressants are tried - like the newer ones.

That is my understanding.

#3 deeschmee

deeschmee

• Pip
  • 624 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 02:38 PM

I was just thinking the exact same thing about Venlafexine...
I was on 37.5 mg for almost a week and now 75mg for almost two. On 37.5mg I was peppy and clear-minded on 75mg I am getting very sleepy. No weight gain yet but well see!

You have two voices with which you speak: your
MindVoice and your SoulVoice

PTSD,Major Depression, anxiety and possible bordedrline

Back on Venlafexine 37.5 for now, Ambien 5mg as needed

Too many past meds to list Seroquel 25 mg,Cymbalta,  NOT Welbutrin Budeprion which explains a lot!!!!, Amtryptaline, Lamotrigine, Tripletal 150mg Topiramate 25mg, Lamictal (got the rash) Clonazepam .05mg Trazodone 25-50mg Venlafexine 37.5mg, Hydroxyzine HCL 25 mg Trileptal wigged me out!!! 

Past dx Bipolar 2 or 1 they really arent sure!!! I feel as though I have more borderline traits, but being adopted can mimic this illness

#4 Kseudonym

Kseudonym

Boing

• Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 12:42 AM

As to the generic/brand name thing - I'm in the UK, so you don't really get a choice on what brand your med is. In fact, I just looked at the box and it turns out it does have a brand name but it's not Effexor, it's Alventa or something (can't be bothered to go get it) but yeah, still venlafaxine XR. I just use the US brand names because I've worked out that otherwise people on this site don't know which drug I'm talking about. I remember people being very confused in chat as to what diazepam is, but everyone knows 'Valium' even if that isn't what's written on my box of pills.

I am on the lookout for hypomania, definitely, but I was full-on hypomanic on Zoloft/sertraline and Celexa/citalopram, and this doesn't feel the same.

I do tend to oversleep when I'm depressed and pre-depression (I'm currently eleven months into my first real episode) I didn't sleep all that much, so maybe it's just that. My diagnosis isn't atypical though, it's NOS.

I probably will take your advice and ask the doctor for some sleepy help if this persists - I don't get to see him for another three weeks, though, so I'm gonna give the valerian a try in the meantime. I've had prescriptions for calmy, sleepy type pills before, but all the doctors I've seen seem to be ultra-cautious about them, like I'm gonna turn into an addict, even though I've given them no reason to think that other than being 19. They never seem to even consider stuff like that as a long-term thing, which in this case it might need to be, because I want to stay on this stuff - it's working. ;)

Thanks for your help peoples.
Diagnosis: Depression NOS, weird bipolar-esque med reactions, and occasional insomnia-driven delusions, rape survivor-ness

#5 deeschmee

deeschmee

• Pip
  • 624 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 06:34 AM

As to the generic/brand name thing - I'm in the UK, so you don't really get a choice on what brand your med is. In fact, I just looked at the box and it turns out it does have a brand name but it's not Effexor, it's Alventa or something (can't be bothered to go get it) but yeah, still venlafaxine XR. I just use the US brand names because I've worked out that otherwise people on this site don't know which drug I'm talking about. I remember people being very confused in chat as to what diazepam is, but everyone knows 'Valium' even if that isn't what's written on my box of pills.

I am on the lookout for hypomania, definitely, but I was full-on hypomanic on Zoloft/sertraline and Celexa/citalopram, and this doesn't feel the same.

I do tend to oversleep when I'm depressed and pre-depression (I'm currently eleven months into my first real episode) I didn't sleep all that much, so maybe it's just that. My diagnosis isn't atypical though, it's NOS.

I probably will take your advice and ask the doctor for some sleepy help if this persists - I don't get to see him for another three weeks, though, so I'm gonna give the valerian a try in the meantime. I've had prescriptions for calmy, sleepy type pills before, but all the doctors I've seen seem to be ultra-cautious about them, like I'm gonna turn into an addict, even though I've given them no reason to think that other than being 19. They never seem to even consider stuff like that as a long-term thing, which in this case it might need to be, because I want to stay on this stuff - it's working. ;)

Thanks for your help peoples.

Please keep me posted as I am fairly new on this med also (3 weeks) and it did pull me out of darkness. But now I am feeling sleepy with it and from what Im told my dose is too low (75mg). But like you I suffered the hypomania on Cymbalta and Budeprion
:0)

You have two voices with which you speak: your
MindVoice and your SoulVoice

PTSD,Major Depression, anxiety and possible bordedrline

Back on Venlafexine 37.5 for now, Ambien 5mg as needed

Too many past meds to list Seroquel 25 mg,Cymbalta,  NOT Welbutrin Budeprion which explains a lot!!!!, Amtryptaline, Lamotrigine, Tripletal 150mg Topiramate 25mg, Lamictal (got the rash) Clonazepam .05mg Trazodone 25-50mg Venlafexine 37.5mg, Hydroxyzine HCL 25 mg Trileptal wigged me out!!! 

Past dx Bipolar 2 or 1 they really arent sure!!! I feel as though I have more borderline traits, but being adopted can mimic this illness

#6 Kseudonym

Kseudonym

Boing

• Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:42 AM

Please keep me posted as I am fairly new on this med also (3 weeks) and it did pull me out of darkness. But now I am feeling sleepy with it and from what Im told my dose is too low (75mg). But like you I suffered the hypomania on Cymbalta and Budeprion
:0)

Seeing as how you asked to be kept posted ;)

Feel like shit right now but that will be the unrelated stomach flu. Meds are still good - I feel happier and kind of alert and morning person-y without getting towards the hypomanic tendancies. Few issues with silly, impulsive borderline intrusive thoughts about doing stuff like driving without a license and hackling at comedy shows but nothing OTT (and I mnaged to not do either of those things).

Sleeping a lot better since I've been ill, will have to see what happens about that when I get better.

How are you doing?

#7 Emettman

Emettman

One point of view lacks depth.

• Pip
  • 2174 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 03:13 AM

I've not noticed anything as yet, but I'm just starting on Venlafaxine, on 75mg heading for 225 over the next month..
When I've got there we'll be adding thyroxine to my current cocktail, too, but meanwhile tapering off the bupropion (zyban)

I have major long term sleep problems, so I'll report back
Haven't yet found a sleeping tablet that works but still leaves me functional the next morning, despite having played with types, dosages, and times of taking.
"The world still doesn't make sense, but now I know why it doesn't make sense. That's progress."

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.