Photo
- - - - -

back in the days of thorazine and haldol...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 swanny

swanny

• Pip
  • 158 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 05:15 PM

why was it back in the days of haldol and thorazine they used to give massive amounts of it?

#2 Stickler

Stickler

Fluffy-white-lighter igniter

• Pip
  • 1981 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 05:52 PM

Ever heard a psych hospital called a looneybin?

There was an expectation that when someone was schizophrenic, they would go to the hospital to stay, and, at best come home for a visit or two. Rehabilitation was pretty much impossible. Docs had no tools with which to fight the symptoms, so they just really warehoused people.
Believe it or not, for some people getting a frontal lobotomy was actually a big improvement over this.
Then Thorazine and Haldol came along.
They did make people better in the sense that it made them less violent and more manageable in an institutional setting, as well as providing relief of symptoms to some degree.
And they seemed happier.
So the docs went pill-happy.

Since they were never expected to get out, the Tardive Dyskinesia they got from the meds was not considered a problem.

Putting the fun back in dysfunctional, every damn day. :cool: 

#3 mika

mika

Take what you like and leave the rest.

• Pip
  • 729 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:13 PM

ever read the book, "My Lobotomy". That book is scary. Thank God they came up with meds to control symptoms rather than lobotomies!
Dx: Complex PTSD, Epilepsy

Rx: Trilafon (8mg & 2mg prn), Trazadone (150mg), Keppra for seizures (1500mg), Lamictal for seizures (600mg), Risperdal (.5mg prn) , Ativan (1mg prn)
Past Rx: Zoloft, Celexa, Abilify (3 trials), Topamax, Seroquel, Geodon (2 trials), Cogentin, Tegretol, Dilantin, Depakote (15 years for seizures), Lithium (toxic), Inderal

<3

"No more cats!" ~ bpladybug

#4 Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis

The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering.

• Admin
  • 12499 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:21 PM

What makes you think they used to give massive amounts of it?

The dosing range on Thorazine is really wide so you start small and work your way up to pretty large dose. It's like Seroquel in that respect.

But seriously, I want to know what the basis is for this claim?

De-gnosis: ADD, recurrent depression (or maybe bpII in the guise of such), Asperger's, OCD, social anxiety
Today's Pill Menu: Dexedrine, Wellbutrin (Budeprion), Strattera, Celexa, Risperdal, and clonazepam

Like other moderators and staff of crazyboards.org, I am not a health care professional. You have no way of knowing that I am not talking out my ass. Please do your own homework before making any health related decisions.

Buy me Stuff: Amazon Wishlist

#5 Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis

The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering.

• Admin
  • 12499 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:21 PM

The dosing range on Thorazine is really wide so you start small and work your way up to pretty large dose. It's like Seroquel in that respect.

De-gnosis: ADD, recurrent depression (or maybe bpII in the guise of such), Asperger's, OCD, social anxiety
Today's Pill Menu: Dexedrine, Wellbutrin (Budeprion), Strattera, Celexa, Risperdal, and clonazepam

Like other moderators and staff of crazyboards.org, I am not a health care professional. You have no way of knowing that I am not talking out my ass. Please do your own homework before making any health related decisions.

Buy me Stuff: Amazon Wishlist

#6 sylvan

sylvan

Pill Party

• Admin
  • 3971 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:17 AM

My age is going to show here, but I took APs in the days before there were no AAPs. I wasn't given massive amounts of them. I was given enough to help. Just like today.

I was in a long-term psychiatric facility and they didn't over medicate me there either.

Edited by sylvan, 24 August 2010 - 07:45 PM.

It has been a year since one of the best people that I've ever had the pleasure of knowing passed away. He was strong, intelligent, caring, and honest. I had the honor of calling him Daddy. I will miss both my parents for as long as I live. I hope that I can be even half as good of a spouse, parent, and friend as the two of them were. Life is now forever changed for me. It will never be like it was. That doesn't mean it will all be bad, it will just be different.

#7 swanny

swanny

• Pip
  • 158 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:16 AM

google. internet. psych nurse. nurse said when thorazine first came out they had to give 2000mg of it coz they had nothing else to give them(schizophrenics). now days the recommended max dose is 800mg. so 2000mg is a shit load and would knock you out!

#8 crtclms

crtclms

Queen of Ergots

• Inmate
  • 7845 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 05:25 AM

My dad used to give me thorazine for upset stomachs. I kid you not.

Dx: Bipolar 1; GAD; Migraine w/ Aura; Migraine w/o Aura; Status Migrainosus
Rx: Alprazolam; Botox; Buproprion; CoQ10; Dihydroergotomine via IV Infusion; Flexeril; Green Coffee Bean Extract; Lamotrigine; Lithium; Magnesium Chloride; Metoclopramide; Midrin; Migranal; Prilosec; Promethazine; Riboflavin; Verapamil; Vitamin D3
Currently Shelved: Abilify; Amerge; Anaprox; Atenolol; Buspar; Cafergot; Cymbalta; Depakote; Di-Hydro-ergotamine, injected; Gabapentin; Geodon; Imitrex Tablets; Klonopin; Maxalt; Namenda; Nortriptyline; Norvasc; Propranolol; Prozac; Risperidone; Relpax; Sansert; Sumatriptan injectables; Tegretol; Trazadone; Zoloft; Zolpidem; Zomig; Zonegran

Affectations can be dangerous. -Gertrude Stein

I moderate Bipolar, Panic/Anxiety, Dissociative Disorders, Migraine, Seizures, Not Otherwise Specified, Anticonvulsants, Side Effects, Family Feud, and I Still Have Issues. PM me if you have any questions

#9 confused

confused

bundle of nerves

• Inmate
  • 2916 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 04:26 PM

Not sure how much you trust wikipedia, but this is the first paragraph on Thorazine

"First synthesized on December 11, 1950, chlorpromazine was the first drug developed with specific antipsychotic action, and would serve as the prototype for the phenothiazine class of drugs, which later grew to comprise several other agents. The introduction of chlorpromazine into clinical use has been described as the single greatest advance in psychiatric care, dramatically improving the prognosis of patients in psychiatric hospitals worldwide; the availability of antipsychotic drugs curtailed indiscriminate use of electroconvulsive therapy and psychosurgery, and was one of the driving forces behind the deinstitutionalization movement."

And this was later on

"Previously, higher doses, up to 1200 mg daily or more, were used in acute psychosis. However, this range has markedly decreased in recent years, and dosing aims for the lowest possible with good therapeutic effect."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorazine

I don't know why they used higher doses earlier.

My brother was treated in the late 1970's with Mellaril which I don't know much about. I don't know the dosage he was on, but it made him move really slowly. He looked drugged when he took it, but I don't think he stayed on it long. I know it's going off on a tangent, but it's my image of being over-medicated. The thing is, it didn't really help his psychosis. What helped him was lithium when he was eventually given that. I'm not sure what his dx was because he rarely saw any doctors.

schizoaffective bipolar type, social anxiety, depersonalization disorder
abilify, lamictal, lexapro, wellbutrin, seroquel

The world is a comedy to those that think; a tragedy to those that feel.

Horace Walpole

http://psychcentral....isorder/0001564

Don't believe everything you read on the internet, including me. 

I am not a mental health care professional, please seek out a professional's advice.

#10 sylvan

sylvan

Pill Party

• Admin
  • 3971 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:54 PM

My brother was treated in the late 1970's with Mellaril which I don't know much about. I don't know the dosage he was on, but it made him move really slowly.

Mellaril was popular in the late 70s. I took it then too. All they gave me was 10mg doses. As I recall, I could take it twice (maybe three times) a day. I don't believe that's a huge dose. So, whoever it was that was handing out huge doses of APs, they certainly didn't do it to me.

It has been a year since one of the best people that I've ever had the pleasure of knowing passed away. He was strong, intelligent, caring, and honest. I had the honor of calling him Daddy. I will miss both my parents for as long as I live. I hope that I can be even half as good of a spouse, parent, and friend as the two of them were. Life is now forever changed for me. It will never be like it was. That doesn't mean it will all be bad, it will just be different.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.